Australia - New PM?

Old Croc

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't Australia the only modern industrailzed country to have experienced 21 consecutive years of economic growth? It has also 'escaped' (if that the right term) the worst ravages of the global economic mess.

I state the above as I cannot understand the negative, moaning comments by some on this thread. Australia must be doing a lot right. Maybe it suceeds despite the best and worst efforts of its politicans?

• Like 1

Isn't Australia the only modern industrailzed country to have experienced 21 consecutive years of economic growth? It has also 'escaped' (if that the right term) the worst ravages of the global economic mess.

I state the above as I cannot understand the negative, moaning comments by some on this thread. Australia must be doing a lot right. Maybe it suceeds despite the best and worst efforts of its politicans?

I call in poorbuggerme-ism generated from middle class welfare handouts...

V simple answer, same reason Qatar is a rich country, alot of assets in the ground.

• Like 1

Fortunately with the election being held in Australia's winter, the public will not have to see Tony Abbott in his Budgie Catchers,(a male swimsuit not unlike the G-string)running along the beaches of Sydney.

Err... "Budgie Smugglers" is the correct term. smile.png

Well, i go nuts listening to Gillard mono-tone slurred alcoholic voice.

Yep! "A librarian on Mogadon" was a good description. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And now Thailand can respectfully now pass on the baton to Australia...

Now all the Liberal party needs to do, is do the same with Abbott and return Turnball as their rightful leader and things will be back to normal...

Turnbull was bullyed at school and can't take the cat calls in Parliment. But yes he would be better than Tony.

Turnbull is about as tough as a rubber hammer.

• Like 1

What does this mean for non Australians?

If Abbot wins, Australia become a backwards freak show.

The return of financial stability again and an effort to reduce the massive debt that Labour has run the country into. As usual Australia was billions of dollars in the black, but Labour spent it all on junk and "give aways" in a short time and then began borrowing and spending like a drunken sailor. The Nat/Libs will stop all this and start to repair the damage done. This happens every time the nation gets a Labour govt. They could'nt manage a piss up in a brewery without going broke !

• Like 1

he just returned the favour and about time she got hers

But he will have to do what Bill Shorten tells him............DONT YOU WORRY ABOUT THAT ! Anyhow, he is only there for the election to save some trade union placed MP's and then it won't be long before Bill Shorten rolls him, ask anybody in caucus ! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

... you obviously have no idea that Abbott was a Rhodes Scolar whistling.gif

Actually, you might be surprised which Australians of note and influences have also achieved that accolade ...

Kim Beazley

Bob Hawke

Malcolm Turnbell

So, of the Prime Ministers or opposition Leaders ... two from each side of the Political divide.

Australian_Rhodes_scholars

Not surprised at all !

And if KRudd wins it will disappear into a debt ridden 3rd world country run by the trade unions, with no future whatsoever.

Kevin Rudd is loathed by the trade union movement, that was why he was dumped in the first place.

Yes, and they have only put him back to save a few ACTU promoted seats. He will just be keeping the seat warm for Bill Shorten when the time is ripe.

• Like 1

Aussies will be more familiar with most of the contents of the article, but I found it an interesting analysis and narrative.

There seems to be a consensus that Labor is too far in the hole to pull out the September election. Yet, there's general agreement that Rudd has the next sixty-plus days during which he is likely to make the upcoming election campaign and outcome much more interesting than it otherwise would have been.

The article appears in the Diplomat magazine, which focuses on Oceania, East Asia, South Asia and Southeast Asia. Australians have a lot of input to the Diplomat.

Australian PM Julia Gillard Ousted, Kevin Rudd Back

Kevin Rudd has successfully challenged Julia Gillard for party leadership. What happens now?

http://thediplomat.com/2013/06/26/australian-pm-julia-gillard-ousted-kevin-rudd-back/?all=true

• Like 1

The article appears in the Diplomat magazine,

Kevin Rudd has successfully challenged Julia Gillard for party leadership. What happens now?

http://thediplomat.com/2013/06/26/australian-pm-julia-gillard-ousted-kevin-rudd-back/?all=true

That's quite a good article and worth the read.

To update it though, Rudd has indeed been sworn in as the PM as he proved he had the 'confidence' of the Parliament.

Aussies will be more familiar with most of the contents of the article, but I found it an interesting analysis and narrative.

There seems to be a consensus that Labor is too far in the hole to pull out the September election. Yet, there's general agreement that Rudd has the next sixty-plus days during which he is likely to make the upcoming election campaign and outcome much more interesting than it otherwise would have been.

The article appears in the Diplomat magazine, which focuses on Oceania, East Asia, South Asia and Southeast Asia. Australians have a lot of input to the Diplomat.

Update: In a snap poll following the challenge, Roy Morgan Research finds that Labor is now at 49.5% on a two-party preferred basis (i.e., after preferences are distributed) compared with the Coalition at 50.5%. It is a 5 percentage point improvement on the party's support under the previous poll, with Gillard as leader

To update it though, Rudd has indeed been sworn in as the PM as he proved he had the 'confidence' of the Parliament.

I had not seen the news Rudd is in fact the new PM.

There is another update which makes the election outcome already more interesting to anticipate - Update: In a snap poll following the challenge, Roy Morgan Research finds that Labor is now at 49.5% on a two-party preferred basis (i.e., after preferences are distributed) compared with the Coalition at 50.5%. It is a 5 percentage point improvement on the party's support under the previous poll, with Gillard as leader

Update: In a snap poll following the challenge, Roy Morgan Research finds that Labor is now at 49.5% on a two-party preferred basis (i.e., after preferences are distributed) compared with the Coalition at 50.5%. It is a 5 percentage point improvement on the party's support under the previous poll, with Gillard as leader

Yes and the The Fairfax ReachTEL poll also shows an increase for Labor since Kev took control. But these are only polls.

I had not seen the news Rudd is in fact the new PM.

There is another update which makes the election outcome already more interesting to anticipate - Update: In a snap poll following the challenge, Roy Morgan Research finds that Labor is now at 49.5% on a two-party preferred basis (i.e., after preferences are distributed) compared with the Coalition at 50.5%. It is a 5 percentage point improvement on the party's support under the previous poll, with Gillard as leader

He is in fact the new P.M and has been sworn in as such by the Governor General.

Old sailor - ur havin too much fun !

A number of posts have been deleted as well as replies. Politicians have proper names. Use them. Sexual references have also been deleted.

Thx to each of you for the info and the confirmation about Rudd as the new PM..

Yes, the only poll that matters is on the day itself, but scientific survey polls well done generally do tell us something about a race. A campaign's internal polling is usually the most realistic but are kept under wraps, even if the news is good for the particular campaign.

I haven't any reason to doubt what you say about both Abbott and Dud, er, Rudd. I'd head reports back when Rudd got the boot that Rudd was a terror in the highest suites of the government, what in Washington is called a screamer and book thrower, or a thrower of whatever happens easily to be within reach.

I've only seen Abbott on international news when something gets to that level of newsworthiness, as it were, and it seems every time I've seen Abbott he's getting hammered by the other side and looking dumbfounded about it all. I'd guess Abbott can brawl politically with the best of 'em, but I've just never seen it.

As a political junkie I look forward to this campaign for the sake of it. I generally favor Labor in most instances abroad although they tend to be less than charming towards the US than the Conservative or Liberal parties abroad. Gordon Brown was awful towards the United States but John Howard was off the deep end as another of Bush's lapdogs, I think it's fair to say. I recall survey polling in OZ during Bush's presidency that said Aussies thought Howard's government followed the US too closely in foreign policy. Gilllard however was very cooperative and supportive of Prez Obama's "rebalancing" to the Indo-Pacific geostrategic area. So it's rarely a case of black or white.

It will be interesting to see what impact voting for the Wikileaks Party will have by way of preferences on the election outcome for Liberal/Labor seats

Prior to Kevin coming into play I would say there was going to be a lot wasted votes on the minor parties. Both Gillard and Abbott have been viewed by a large portion of the public to be unsuitable for P.M.

If it wasn't against the law not to vote how many people would actually turn up? Personally I think Australians should be given the "freedom" to think for themselves and make their own choice if they actually want to vote. Yes I stand on the conveyor belt with all the other miserable looking people who wish they were somewhere else (Football finals) get my name checked off and then walk straight out the door without voting. Will refuse to do so until there is someone to vote for.

• Like 1

Thx to each of you for the info and the confirmation about Rudd as the new PM..

Yes, the only poll that matters is on the day itself, but scientific survey polls well done generally do tell us something about a race. A campaign's internal polling is usually the most realistic but are kept under wraps, even if the news is good for the particular campaign.

I haven't any reason to doubt what you say about both Abbott and Dud, er, Rudd. I'd head reports back when Rudd got the boot that Rudd was a terror in the highest suites of the government, what in Washington is called a screamer and book thrower, or a thrower of whatever happens easily to be within reach.

I've only seen Abbott on international news when something gets to that level of newsworthiness, as it were, and it seems every time I've seen Abbott he's getting hammered by the other side and looking dumbfounded about it all. I'd guess Abbott can brawl politically with the best of 'em, but I've just never seen it.

As a political junkie I look forward to this campaign for the sake of it. I generally favor Labor in most instances abroad although they tend to be less than charming towards the US than the Conservative or Liberal parties abroad. Gordon Brown was awful towards the United States but John Howard was off the deep end as another of Bush's lapdogs, I think it's fair to say. I recall survey polling in OZ during Bush's presidency that said Aussies thought Howard's government followed the US too closely in foreign policy. Gilllard however was very cooperative and supportive of Prez Obama's "rebalancing" to the Indo-Pacific geostrategic area. So it's rarely a case of black or white.

Australia is obliged to support the US as it is reliant on the US for strategic defense, intelligence sharing, protection of sea lanes for commerce etc

Edited by simple1

The return of financial stability again and an effort to reduce the massive debt that Labour has run the country into. As usual Australia was billions of dollars in the black, but Labour spent it all on junk and "give aways" in a short time and then began borrowing and spending like a drunken sailor. The Nat/Libs will stop all this and start to repair the damage done. This happens every time the nation gets a Labour govt. They could'nt manage a piss up in a brewery without going broke !

I dont know about that.

The economic reforms from Hawke and Keating and things like tarriff cuts under Whitlam have helped put Australia in the enviable economic position it is in today

I dont know about that.

The economic reforms from Hawke and Keating and things like tarriff cuts under Whitlam have helped put Australia in the enviable economic position it is in today

I agree with oldsailor35 (paraphrasing) that Labor is usually about Social change and the Coalition is usually more fiscally conservative.

However, BookMan has a good point with some actions of Labor governments past.

The floating of the Australian Dollar and ...

... the Introduction of the Superannuation scheme

are two initiatives, introduced by Labor that were great ideas and continue to serve this country well.

10 things Kevin Rudd will do differently to Julia Gillard ...

738236-731dbcf8-dec4-11e2-a2a7-ba3b27a87

KEVIN Rudd will want to put distance between the Julia Gillard prime ministership and his own renewed leadership in the lead-up to the federal election.

There are 10 ways he can do this:

1. Dump the September 14 election date. Mr Rudd will be under pressure to take his new leadership to the people as quickly as possible and scrap Ms Gillard's election schedule.

The other nine are found here ...