Trouble At Tops Supermarket

wcr

I'm with the more conservative set who think that public displays of affection should be limited, both for personal dignity and out of consideration for others. But what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander- if hand-holding is ok for straight couples, it should be just as ok for gay couples.

I also have a bit of sympathy for gays who inadvertently wander into "cruising" areas without understanding what's going on- must be a bit unnerving. But then again, no less in-your-face than the completely acceptable male-female flirting that surrounds all of us all the time. I also hear complaints and off-color jokes from straights about places like parks and gyms, and if those places are not specifically for gays they have a point- but on the other hand, there are so many places the straights have for themselves, too.

Anyway, though, just walking around and socializing with someone (boyfriend or not) shouldn't raise eyebrows, though people will gossip everywhere [i've heard that the likely topic is not about age difference between a Thai and farang, but how likely it is the Thai is bilking the farang, and for how much]. Naturally, the guy who confronted you in TOPS was totally out of line (and likely very insecure sexually). He'll wind up pushing the wrong guys too far one day. Just glad it wasn't you.

"Steven"

• 3 weeks later...
I'M NOT GAY, BUT ONE THING I'VE LEARNED WHILE I'VE LIVED IN PATTAYA IS TO LIVE AND LET LIVE,

OK I DON'T LIKE SEEING GAY'S (MALE OR FEMALE) KISSING ETC ESPECIALLY IN AREA'S WHERE KIDS OR FAMILIES MIGHT BE THATS WHY PATTAYA HAS AREAS FOR GAY PEOPLE.

I HAVE GAY CUSTOMERS IN MY BAR, I ALSO HAVE GAY FRIENDS (THAI AND FARANG) IN FACT MY ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS IS GAY RUN. SO WHAT!

THIS GUY IN TOPS IS A F***ING IGNORANT W****R AND I WOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING TO HIM IF I'D WITNESSED THAT.

HE MUST HAVE SOME ISSUES FOR EVEN GETTING UP AND STARTING ON YOU. WCR

I second that and would love to meet a guy like this in a dark alley whilst in a foul mood (pardon the pun)

• 4 weeks later...

Since Muslims started invading France, a lot of gays have been insulted, bashed and murdered (they even tried to burn one alive). This has also happened in various European countries. Apparently this doesn't seem to bother European governments very much. And this may be true for many other countries. Apparently these people have been given the freedom of the world. So when you spot one, wherever you are, keep away from him, or be ready to fight back.

I personally am left feeling that gay prejudice here in Thailand is much higher than in the U.S. (the only other place I could be qualified to compare to).

I think you are totally wrong about that.

The Thai's are a very laid back and tolerant people.

I have been in a Thai mall and seen a group of teenagers, boys and girls

going around together. Now one boy was as camp as can be, in dress and mannerisms,

but he was still very definitely part of the group.

Would that happen in the US?

I doubt it.

Edited by astral

Almost all nationalities/creeds discriminate in some way against their own gays. I don't feel particularly more afraid of Muslims than, say, red-neck country boys from the southern U.S.A. And once again, what connection does this have to the topic of the thread ("Trouble At Tops Supermarket")?

"Steven" :o

I personally am left feeling that gay prejudice here in Thailand is much higher than in the U.S. (the only other place I could be qualified to compare to).

going around together. Now one boy was as camp as can be, in dress and mannerisms,

I doubt it.

I don't think he was referring to Thais.

Falang are frequently quite vocal when they see a gay couple (Thai/Foreign), and tend to let their microscopic minds loose with loud invective, when frequently the issue may well be that their wife/tgf/tbg is not as pretty as the gay mans partner. Weird isn't it.

Of course given a few minutes it's forgotten and they are off to another drinkie-poos with the aforementioned bg/wife/gf..

Ahh LoS Wonderful one minute, surrounded by farang the next.

Ice

This topic relates to a gay couple in Thailand (who didn't report having been hassled by Thais for being together in public), being vilified and insulted by an insensitive, homophobic, straight, male farang.

I've never been given more than a passing glance by Thais when I'm with my boyfriend or another gay Thai. It's the farang I'm worried about - esp. since I live in a city full of farang tourists and missionaries. So far, so good - but I'm on my guard.

Wouldn't it be stupid and foolish for one of us (gay people) to walk over to a straight farang couple who weren't even holding hands in public, and say, "You heterosexuals disgust me, walking around together in broad daylight, when we all now that behind closed doors, he puts that disgusting ***** in her nasty little ******!!"

I doubt it.

I noticed this too.

The first time I visited Bangkok I saw a lot of (obviously wealthy) kids in white school uniforms drinking expensive coffees in the MBK Centre. One of them (maybe 13 or 14 years old) was outrageously effeminate. If anything, he was the leader of the group! They all seemed to want to talk to him.

I doubt very much if he would have been so easily accepted in a UK scenario but he was certainly popular with his friends in Bangkok.

It's similar in the provinces. My best student last year was so far out of the closet he couldn't have found the closet. He was obviously very popular, in spite of his totally katoey actions (except for cross-dressing). At his funeral, everybody showed up - school director and all the staff, the cadet marching band, hundreds of straight students.

I'm sure that some semi-homophobic Thais secretly consider gay Thais to be third-class citizens, but they don't say so in public.

• 7 months later...

I think part of the tolerance of gays in LOS is the Buddhist thing with Karma. They are considered to "less", but it's chalked up to bad Karma. Maybe in the next life they will come back straight if they live a good life etc.

I've lived and worked in Arab and other Muslim countries. They are really pretty dead set against most anything sexual--esp. gays. Being a farang, however, we are usually already considered to be infidels. I did truly feel sorry for gay Arabs.

I once assisted (through my work), an Iranian refugee seeking political asylum because he was gay. This young man (early 20's). Had been severely beaten at school, by police etc. during his teen years. His brother's put him in the bathtub at home, poured gasoline on him and tried to set him on fire.

He was jailed several times for being gay--although he had never engaged any sexual behavior--just based on his effeminate behavior.

He eventually escaped from Iran, was in Turkey and I think he was resettled in the US. A very nice, good young man.

Whatever "hate" I have for some of these groups, I always remember how much more difficult it is for the locals than for me.