Phuket Airport Bus can start July 15, says bus owner

webfact

@ deesquared

Unless it's from the Phuket Airport to Patong, the Phuket Airport to Kata, the Phuket Airport to Karon - but never between the beaches.

If they went between the beaches, then for sure, we will see some violence.

I was just down there last month and I saw city buses running between those beaches. For free I believe. Loads of tourists were hoping on and off. No violence witnessed.

They are call tuk-tuks, not buses. smile.pngsmile.png

And the Tuk Tuks are for sure not free laugh.png

• Like 1

@ deesquared

Unless it's from the Phuket Airport to Patong, the Phuket Airport to Kata, the Phuket Airport to Karon - but never between the beaches.

I was just down there last month and I saw city buses running between those beaches. For free I believe. Loads of tourists were hoping on and off. No violence witnessed.

And the Tuk Tuks are for sure not free laugh.png

Name one thing in Thailand that is. :)

@ deesquared

Nope. They were buses. They were parked on the street in front of Kata beach every day. Open air type buses.

@ deesquared

Nope. They were buses. They were parked on the street in front of Kata beach every day. Open air type buses.

OK, but they only go to Phuket Town, not the other beaches.

Yes, there are 'city' buses from Kata, but they don't go to Patong. They go to Karon and over the hill to Chalong, and on to Phuket City. You are not allowed to board bus at Kata and leave at Karon. Not free, costs 30 baht, and service stops at 18.00

Madmitch. These went to all the other beaches in the area. Karon, Patong, etc.. And, again, I believe they were free. They were parked there everyday and tourists were always hoping on and off.

I'm sorry, but you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I think those of us that have lived here for several years might have a better idea of local public transport than someone who came for a long weekend, don't you?

Did you actually get on one of these imaginary buses?

Madmitch. These went to all the other beaches in the area. Karon, Patong, etc.. And, again, I believe they were free. They were parked there everyday and tourists were always hoping on and off.

There are no buses that run between the beaches. If there was already, why would the tuk-tuks protest???

I think those of us that have lived here for several years might have a better idea of local public transport than someone who came for a long weekend, don't you?

Perhaps you spend more time in soi bars than on tourist beaches? I was there as a tourist (I live up north) and I can promise you that there were buses there, every day, advertising routes to the other beaches. Why would I lie about this? You might just have to come to terms with the fact that you may not know everything about everything. If someone shares on here something they experienced as some helpful info to the discussion it is not right to call them a liar.

Perhaps you spend more time in soi bars than on tourist beaches? I was there as a tourist (I live up north) and I can promise you that there were buses there, every day, advertising routes to the other beaches. Why would I lie about this? You might just have to come to terms with the fact that you may not know everything about everything. If someone shares on here something they experienced as some helpful info to the discussion it is not right to call them a liar.

I never go into bars and I am down at Kata Beach every day where the city buses line up. You are completely wrong and it's unfortunate that you are giving this erroneous information to other potential tourists who might read this forum and accept your observations as true fact. The bus leaving Kata goes directly to Phuket Town. That is the only route operated. You might be confused as there are often as many as 5 buses sitting in the line. I'll take a photo next time I pass.

I never go into bars and I am down at Kata Beach every day where the city buses line up. You are completely wrong and it's unfortunate that you are giving this erroneous information to other potential tourists who might read this forum and accept your observations as true fact. The bus leaving Kata goes directly to Phuket Town. That is the only route operated. You might be confused as there are often as many as 5 buses sitting in the line. I'll take a photo next time I pass.

Then do me a favor. Walk down in front of the Tsunami evacuation building and take a picture. If there aren't two or three buses parked right there then I will extol your greatness. I was there not 4 weeks ago so my information is current and not erroneous.

Then do me a favor. Walk down in front of the Tsunami evacuation building and take a picture. If there aren't two or three buses parked right there then I will extol your greatness. I was there not 4 weeks ago so my information is current and not erroneous.

By Tsunami evacuation centre, I assume you mean the Tesibaan building (the district governement/town hall ) and the Tsunami tower is just behind. Sure, there are buses lined up there, all going to Phuket Town. I'll post a photo first thing tomorrow morning.

Edit// just had a google walk and found the bus parked there . note the sign - Phuket - Kata - Karon (no Patong)

https://maps.google.com/?ll=7.816268,98.299994&spn=0.001555,0.001725&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=7.816268,98.299905&panoid=zAIj1iZTw0348rMIeSnpjQ&cbp=12,23.3,,0,0

I was going to post a long response then thought "what's the point?". Yes, you are right. There is a fantastic public transport system that goes all over the island, costs next to nothing, drivers are polite, wear smart uniforms like the one in my avatar and greet you on and off the bus. And if the bus is late you can always catch the flying pig to take you to your destination.

flying pig = tuk tuk driver :) :)

By Tsunami evacuation centre, I assume you mean the Tesibaan building (the district governement/town hall ) and the Tsunami tower is just behind. Sure, there are buses lined up there, all going to Phuket Town. I'll post a photo first thing tomorrow morning.

Edit// just had a google walk and found the bus parked there . note the sign - Phuket - Kata - Karon (no Patong)

https://maps.google.com/?ll=7.816268,98.299994&spn=0.001555,0.001725&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=7.816268,98.299905&panoid=zAIj1iZTw0348rMIeSnpjQ&cbp=12,23.3,,0,0

Ha! Thank you for posting the picture. It shows the exact buses I was talking about. The buses are clearly marked to be going to other beaches.

Jeez....you really should get yourself informed before you post.

The original planned route was airport to Patong to Karon.

The tuk-tuk drivers threatened a blockade and violence, so, the Patong to Kata leg was dropped. This happened after they painted the bus routes.

THERE ARE NO BUSES THAT RUN FROM BEACH TO BEACH.

Edited by KarenBravo

Wasting your time KB. Deesquared has made up mind that the buses run 'beach to beach' and it's free. The image clearly shows where this bus service goes KATA - KARON - PHUKET TOWN with fare 30 baht, but you cannot get on at Kata and get off at Karon. Bus will not even stop to pick up from Karon to Kata. Nothing else for me to post.

Wasting your time KB. Deesquared has made up mind that the buses run 'beach to beach' and it's free. The image clearly shows where this bus service goes KATA - KARON - PHUKET TOWN with fare 30 baht, but you cannot get on at Kata and get off at Karon. Bus will not even stop to pick up from Karon to Kata. Nothing else for me to post.

I have only this to add -

I went to Bangkok last week and took the up and going airport bus from Phuket Town to PIA 0700am. Only 9 people on the bus so it seems the locals prefer to sit in a car queue and that is some of the problem with keeping up a decent airport bus system here either its PIA- Phuket town or to the beaches and with a too little turnover to spend on maintenance the buses soon gets filthy and either locals or tourist want to use them. Maybe in peak season but all over the year I don't think its profitable!

I never claimed anything. I just mentioned that I witnessed buses, with various beach names, picking people up in Kata. Then I was told I was a liar and that it was impossible that I could have seen such a thing. And I never made a claim over the price. I said they were either free or very cheap but that I wasn't sure.

I never claimed anything. I just mentioned that I witnessed buses, with various beach names, picking people up in Kata. Then I was told I was a liar and that it was impossible that I could have seen such a thing. And I never made a claim over the price. I said they were either free or very cheap but that I wasn't sure.

I just read through all the posts. Not one poster called you a 'liar'. The posters stated that your observations were not correct. Yes, there are public buses where you stated, and there are lots of tourists hopping on and off, and there is no violence - all agreed. Where we disagree is the idea that this bus goes to 'other beaches' such as Patong. This topic was about the Airport bus running to Patong and on to Kata with the possibility of the public being able to board at Patong and on to Kata. This will not be allowed by the Tuk Tuks and violence was threatened, and reported in the news.

I just read through all the posts. Not one poster called you a 'liar'. The posters stated that your observations were not correct. Yes, there are public buses where you stated, and there are lots of tourists hopping on and off, and there is no violence - all agreed. Where we disagree is the idea that this bus goes to 'other beaches' such as Patong. This topic was about the Airport bus running to Patong and on to Kata with the possibility of the public being able to board at Patong and on to Kata. This will not be allowed by the Tuk Tuks and violence was threatened, and reported in the news.

I guess you didn't view the picture which shows the buses clearing marked as going to the other beaches.

I was going to post a long response then thought "what's the point?". Yes, you are right. There is a fantastic public transport system that goes all over the island, costs next to nothing, drivers are polite, wear smart uniforms like the one in my avatar and greet you on and off the bus. And if the bus is late you can always catch the flying pig to take you to your destination.

"drivers are polite, wear smart uniforms like the one in my avatar and greet you on and off the bus"

laugh.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you didn't view the picture which shows the buses clearing marked as going to the other beaches.

I guess I did view the picture. You should look again ...Click on the image to enlarge

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gkatabus.JPG

Yup, thanks! I hope you noticed your error the 2nd time you posted it. I see the words "KATA - KARON - PHUKET" on the bus. This indicates the bus does run along those beaches.

I guess I did view the picture. You should look again ...Click on the image to enlarge

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gkatabus.JPG

Yup, thanks! I hope you noticed your error the 2nd time you posted it. I see the words "KATA - KARON - PHUKET" on the bus. This indicates the bus does run along those beaches.

post-123755-0-85143900-1375100923_thumb.