KL refusing multi O (marriage) without 400,000 Baht.

Two of my friends applied for Multi O visa based on marriage to a Thai, presented applications to KL embassy on Monday and were informed that they would not be granted a multi without 400.000 Baht in the bank. (Country of bank not stipulated). They both had 100,000 Baht in Thai banks and showed updated bank books. On returning on Tuesday they both had single entry stamps (3 months) in their passports.

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they got a single entry.

They could get about 5 months out of the visa by getting a 60 day extension to visit their wife. During that time they could try and put 400K in the bank or if they can meet the income requirement of 40K baht and then apply for an extension of stay.

Or make a trip to Savannakhet for their multiple entries with no financial proof needed at the moment.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

I think this was bound to happen, and many were expecting this.

I was back home in Amsterdam a few weeks back applying for the same visa (non "O" multiple entry) and for the past 8 years the only requirement was a marriage certificate. The clerk informed me the rules were now changed and I needed to show income as well (a Thai bank book showing money coming into my account was accepted). He couldn't tell me an exact amount that was needed each month, but advised me to show at least the equivalent of 2.000 euros. The new rules in Amsterdam have been in affect for about a year now (according to this guy), however the website still shows the old requirements. Be aware

For the past 3 years there has been a requirement of having 400.000THB in a Thai bank account, at least from what I read on immigrations website and what the Immigration officers told me down in Jomtien, Pattaya.

• Like 1

For the past 3 years there has been a requirement of having 400.000THB in a Thai bank account, at least from what I read on immigrations website and what the Immigration officers told me down in Jomtien, Pattaya.

The subject is about visas not extensions of stay at immigration.

So why bother with it (for 400k)? Extension based on spouse has same requirement less leaving the country every 90 days.

I honestly wonder what visa consular staff do to busy themselves all day. In two decades I have only seen two visa sectors humming. That was Penang and Vientiane in the good old days and Los Angeles. Now this.

Not clever or ambitious enough to cull out the illegal white workers.

Punishing families... We love Thailand!

This must be a joke, I opened a topic about this kind of visa one week ago, already paid for flights and hotel room... If someone has the 400k why they should bother going to KL when they can get the year extension without living the country?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

To have 400K in a Thai bank in todays terms of money is a small amount, and for those who want to live in Thailand by taking the typical interest of say 5% on 400K it is going to cost you about 1,600 Baht per month in loss of interest. You may get a little back from the Thai bank say 1% giving an overall cost to live in a fanatic country of 1,300 Baht. Obviously this is set aside in the difference in the cost of living between the western world. Therefore why the heck people moan I will never know.

Where on Earth can you get 5% interest on savings now ?! Typical ? Don't think so, unless you are thinking of some high-risk equity-based scheme...

• Like 2

At least they got a single entry.

They could get about 5 months out of the visa by getting a 60 day extension to visit their wife. During that time they could try and put 400K in the bank or if they can meet the income requirement of 40K baht and then apply for an extension of stay.

Or make a trip to Savannakhet for their multiple entries with no financial proof needed at the moment.

As a farang married to a farang I have to show either 800,000 in the bank or a monthly pension of 65,000 per month I never understand why it is much less if you are married to a Thai all those who I know married to Thai's moan that there wives cost them a fortune as they are very spendthrift that is not the case with my wife I would love to know who came up with such an idea that farang wives must cost more than a Thai wife !!!!!!!!

It's because they expect her to work and pay half the costs.

Immigration aren't expecting you to be marrying a 'girl of a certain kind'.

To have 400K in a Thai bank in todays terms of money is a small amount, and for those who want to live in Thailand by taking the typical interest of say 5% on 400K it is going to cost you about 1,600 Baht per month in loss of interest. You may get a little back from the Thai bank say 1% giving an overall cost to live in a fanatic country of 1,300 Baht. Obviously this is set aside in the difference in the cost of living between the western world. Therefore why the heck people moan I will never know.

please share, where are you getting 5%?

whistling.gif You wanted a multi-entry visa.

You got a 3 month visa.

The consulate has always had that option, at their discretion.

In many of the consulate web pages you will find something like the following statement:

The consulate retains the right to ask for further confirmation regarding issuing of your requested visa at it's discretion.

They obviously (although they did not say this directly to you) did not believe you NEEDED a one year multi-entry.

The preferred method is for someone applying in Thailand for a marriage extension is to get a 3 month non O visa and then to extend that in Thailand.

That's where the 400K bank account or the 40K monthly financial requirement comes in.

The real question in their mind was why you thought you needed a multi-entry visa for that marriage extension.

So they issued a 90 day single entry visa instead.

That is going to be more common, and the de-facto preferred method in S.E. Asia .... probably (my opinion only) because that method gives more control on entry visas and extensions at the local immigration in Thailand.

KL and Savannaket were the exceptions.... perhaps KL is about to change it's policy?

I guess we'll find out.

Thailand is no longer a cheap place to live.

I've made several trips to Cambodia over the past 5 years ... all to familiarise myself with the place for retirement. It's OK to work or holiday here, but for retirement? Forget it. Way too insecure for my liking.

• Like 1

please share, where are you getting 5%?

TMB, "lock" your money +19 months and get 5.25%

If it was 400 Million Baht I'm sure it would be a small amount of money to someone. However, for one who doesn't have the 400K and can't get it, it might as well be an infinite amount.

• Like 1

The subject is about visas not extensions of stay at immigration.

I came in to Thailand on TR VISA, stayed here for long time and went many trips to Vientinne to get new TR VISAs, finally I get feed up and asked my girlfriend to marry me and we did. Then I changed my TR to NON-O based on marriage, they required 400k in the bank, promise.

Nice to know that you are sooooo rich as to consider 400,000 a "small amount". Not everyone is so well off.

• Like 2

What are the rules regarding leaving Thailand, once you are on a year extension ?

Do you need re entry permits or something, if so how much to get them !

I need to be in and out of the country every couple of months, therefore I presumed a multi entry Non O would be better. Am I wrong on this ?

Hull, U.K are still issuing with no further docs reqd as far as I know....

"TMB, "lock" your money +19 months and get 5.25%"

No way. That's a 24-month stepper account where the interest rate is 5.25% from months 19 to 24, but for the first 6 months the rate is only 1.50%. The overall APR is 2.875%.

Besides, the poster who mentioned 5% was referring to interest that might be available in one's home country (AU, NZ, for example).

• Like 1

What are the rules regarding leaving Thailand, once you are on a year extension ?

Do you need re entry permits or something, if so how much to get them !

I need to be in and out of the country every couple of months, therefore I presumed a multi entry Non O would be better. Am I wrong on this ?

Hull, U.K are still issuing with no further docs reqd as far as I know....

Re Entry Permits cost.

1,000 baht for a single.

3,800 baht for a multiple.