KL refusing multi O (marriage) without 400,000 Baht.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they got a single entry.

They could get about 5 months out of the visa by getting a 60 day extension to visit their wife. During that time they could try and put 400K in the bank or if they can meet the income requirement of 40K baht and then apply for an extension of stay.

Or make a trip to Savannakhet for their multiple entries with no financial proof needed at the moment.

As a farang married to a farang I have to show either 800,000 in the bank or a monthly pension of 65,000 per month I never understand why it is much less if you are married to a Thai all those who I know married to Thai's moan that there wives cost them a fortune as they are very spendthrift that is not the case with my wife I would love to know who came up with such an idea that farang wives must cost more than a Thai wife !!!!!!!!

Easy answer. TiT

What are the rules regarding leaving Thailand, once you are on a year extension ?

Do you need re entry permits or something, if so how much to get them !

I need to be in and out of the country every couple of months, therefore I presumed a multi entry Non O would be better. Am I wrong on this ?

Hull, U.K are still issuing with no further docs reqd as far as I know....

And Cardiff I think. Without the 400k liquid and in Thai bank, I think it easier to just go home every 15 months and get a new Non-O without all the fuss. Its BS anyway as there is no safety net here, so if you run out of funds tough sh!t. Hull etc make you sign a "I have sufficient funds" commitment and that should be all that is needed anywhere for the same stamp (or sticker as it is now).

Oh and if you do have the 400k, Bangkok Bank offers 3% now for a locked account - which is much better than anywhere in the UK that I know of (risk free).

Edited by wolf5370

It has to be said that the approach of the Foreign Ministry and Immigration is deplorable in chopping and changing visa regulations and having different rules at different Thai embassies abroad. The government is of course free to set whatever regulations it sees fit but they should be perfectly clear and consistently applied at every location with ample warning of any changes.

Visa regulations for family members of Thais have an impact on the Thai family members and this matter can therefore not simply viewed as screwing foreigners. It affects the rights of Thai citizens to have their foreign family members visit them or stay with them. The mentality of government officials remains feudal, i.e. we are the ones who have the power, education and money which means we have the right to set whatever rules we please for the uneducated peasant masses but we will of course bend them for our friends or for others who bribe us. There is never any sense of accountability to the general citizenry.

This is all politics; why should the Thai government stay with one rule when say like the UK they keep changing the rules. I would say the UK has gone beyond that of Thailand where say a settlement visa the foreign spouse has to answer questions that a vast majority of British subjects would never know.

• Like 1

To have 400K in a Thai bank in todays terms of money is a small amount, and for those who want to live in Thailand by taking the typical interest of say 5% on 400K it is going to cost you about 1,600 Baht per month in loss of interest. You may get a little back from the Thai bank say 1% giving an overall cost to live in a fanatic country of 1,300 Baht. Obviously this is set aside in the difference in the cost of living between the western world. Therefore why the heck people moan I will never know.

Where on Earth can you get 5% interest on savings now ?! Typical ? Don't think so, unless you are thinking of some high-risk equity-based scheme...

I get 4.5 with instant access any where in the world from my bank in Queensland,just sweep it onto free Visa card which is a linked account ,thanks to the Al Qaeda boys you have to appear in person to sign opening documents,Quensland Teachers Credit Union was offering just shy off 8 until recently ,time to lock in for thecost of a 4000 Air Asia to OOlangata all the main banks rates are published in theCouriermail online or other Fairfax papers.

In UK now and just applied for Multi Non-imm 'O' marriage and only required copies of marriage cert and id/passport of the missus, plus £125 plus £10 return postage. No mention of funds and there and back in 48hrs no probs.

Chances are i'll only need one entry as i'm going back to sort everything out and return home to UK for good....10 years more than enough for me, the best days are long gone i'm sad to say....

At least they got a single entry.

They could get about 5 months out of the visa by getting a 60 day extension to visit their wife. During that time they could try and put 400K in the bank or if they can meet the income requirement of 40K baht and then apply for an extension of stay.

Or make a trip to Savannakhet for their multiple entries with no financial proof needed at the moment.

As a farang married to a farang I have to show either 800,000 in the bank or a monthly pension of 65,000 per month I never understand why it is much less if you are married to a Thai all those who I know married to Thai's moan that there wives cost them a fortune as they are very spendthrift that is not the case with my wife I would love to know who came up with such an idea that farang wives must cost more than a Thai wife !!!!!!!!

Usual Thai logic where as a single retired person requires 800k as well.

Thailand is no longer a cheap place to live. Over time the requirements to live there will become more difficult and the income/finance bar will keep rising. Its inevitable. Its actually cheaper to live in the UK now than Thailand, with all its 'hidden' costs.

How absurd and out of touch with reality. The train fare from Heathrow into Central London should avow you of this nonsense. My friends can no longer afford to post a letter to me or send a Christmascard at I pound sterling a time. You'd need to take out a second mortgage to fill the tank of your car.

• Like 1

For the past 3 years there has been a requirement of having 400.000THB in a Thai bank account, at least from what I read on immigrations website and what the Immigration officers told me down in Jomtien, Pattaya.

The subject is about visas not extensions of stay at immigration.

I came in to Thailand on TR VISA, stayed here for long time and went many trips to Vientinne to get new TR VISAs, finally I get feed up and asked my girlfriend to marry me and we did. Then I changed my TR to NON-O based on marriage, they required 400k in the bank, promise.

The 400K was for applying for a one year extension of stay, not a visa. Please pay attention to what the man is saying, they are not the same thing.

Edited by beechguy

It was there rule to allow 100k bank account - then it became 100k Thai bank account and now seems 400k? Current web site requirement (updated: 22 Jun 2556 12:10:48):

2. Dependent of spouse or parent possessing Thai nationality
Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s)
Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months)
Original and copy of official marriage certificate (For spouse*).
Original and copy of official birth certificate (For children*).
Copy of Thai identity card (of spouse or parent).
Copy of Thai House registration (of spouse or parent).
Bank Statement with a minimum deposit of 400,000 Bath

or in the case of Thai immigration, a letter from your embassy stating that you have at least a 65.000 baht monthly income!

What do you think the ratio is of benefit (money?) to Thailand versus the inconvenience this does for no reason? Is there a reason for it? What do the Thais get out of tightening the rules? Is there an issue with vagrant expats?

It was there rule to allow 100k bank account - then it became 100k Thai bank account and now seems 400k? Current web site requirement (updated: 22 Jun 2556 12:10:48):

2. Dependent of spouse or parent possessing Thai nationality
Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s)
Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months)
Original and copy of official marriage certificate (For spouse*).
Original and copy of official birth certificate (For children*).
Copy of Thai identity card (of spouse or parent).
Copy of Thai House registration (of spouse or parent).
Bank Statement with a minimum deposit of 400,000 Bath

Good info - Thanks.

For the past 3 years there has been a requirement of having 400.000THB in a Thai bank account, at least from what I read on immigrations website and what the Immigration officers told me down in Jomtien, Pattaya.

I came in to Thailand on TR VISA, stayed here for long time and went many trips to Vientinne to get new TR VISAs, finally I get feed up and asked my girlfriend to marry me and we did. Then I changed my TR to NON-O based on marriage, they required 400k in the bank, promise.

The 400K was for applying for a one year extension of stay, not a visa. Please pay attention to what the man is saying, they are not the same thing.

Actually that 400k is for change from tourist visa entry to non immigrant visa entry - extension is later.

It should be noted that a visa, any visa, is not for living in Thailand but for travelling to Thailand and the type of visa to be applied for depends on the purpose of the trip to Thailand. The applicant for a multiple-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting his wife in Thailand several times a year would typically be a man who lives and perhaps works in a country other than Thailand. To live with his wife in Thailand, the correct procedure would be for the foreigner to apply, after his arrival in Thailand, for a one-year extension of stay at the local immigration office.

The OP did not give details of the two friends he mentioned but it appears that they were already living in Thailand and therefore would technically not qualify for a non-O visa but should instead get one-year extensions of stay.

To have 400K in a Thai bank in todays terms of money is a small amount, and for those who want to live in Thailand by taking the typical interest of say 5% on 400K it is going to cost you about 1,600 Baht per month in loss of interest. You may get a little back from the Thai bank say 1% giving an overall cost to live in a fanatic country of 1,300 Baht. Obviously this is set aside in the difference in the cost of living between the western world. Therefore why the heck people moan I will never know.

please share, where are you getting 5%?

In LEO Beer only!

I am here on a marriage visa and the requirement here is to either have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for at least two months prior to the application or an income to a Thai bank account of at least 40,000 a month for the last twelve months.

And I do not have to leave the country to apply for each extensions, which I do every twelve months at the local immigration department.

S

Edited by SDM0712

Yup. It's been 400k for a long while now to receive a visa based on marriage. Looks like some people have been slipping by without an issue. They're just enforcing it now.

Edited by happysanook

Yup. It's been 400k for a long while now to receive a visa based on marriage. Looks like some people have been slipping by without an issue. They're just enforcing it now.

Nope it has never been 400,000 in a bank to apply for a Visa based on Marriage.

All Consulates will have their own requirements.