KL refusing multi O (marriage) without 400,000 Baht.

How does a married Foreigner live in Thailand without an income of at least 40k a month or 400/12 months.....???

Using his head as I do with my wife and two boys. We have a business, home, car and motorbike and do it easily. How do you think the Thais exist under 40k a month? When you live here, you LIVE here. If you come and spend your money like you did when you were on holiday then you can expect your expectations to be short lived. We don't live simple either. We just don't pay extraordinary prices for less than extraordinary things. An example is if every hotel here was the Hilton then the streets would be empty with no sign of a farang anywhere. Really people own a new mercedes for what? To show power or inflate their own ego's? Any decent person would consider the extra expense as purely a wank that defines a self image of power with an authority over nothing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one doesn't have 400,000 in a bank or 40,000 a month in income how do you support your wife and family

It costs me 8,000 a month to support my Thai family.

Many Thai families live on 5,000 or less a month.

So approx 250bht a day ------I have heard of "cheap charlies" but this one boggles the mind !

Using your head as I do with my wife and two boys. We have a business, home, car and motorbike and do it easily. How do you think the Thais exist under 40k a month? When you live here, you LIVE here. If you come and spend your money like you did when you were on holiday then you can expect your expectations to be short lived. We don't live simple either. We just don't pay extraordinary prices for less than extraordinary things. An example is if every hotel here was the Hilton then the streets would be empty with no sign of a farang anywhere. Really people own a new mercedes for what? To show power or inflate their own ego's? Any decent person would consider the extra expense as purely a wank that defines a self image of power with an authority over nothing. Truly some peoples idea of luxury is inflated and life can be great here and very inexpensive. Be careful calling someone a cheap charlie as a fool and his money are easily parted!

• Like 1

Lets face it, 400K Bhat is not a lot of money, in fact it is pretty insignificant for anyone who is actually considering settling in Thailand.

Thailand aint the cheap place it used to be, if one is after that aspect of life better head off to Bangladesh.

No one has an answer to my earlier question of........does the proof of funds need to be in a Thai bank and in Baht, or, is it acceptable to have the equivalent amount of foreign currency in a bank account outside Thailand.....??

Edited by Maestro
Remvoved off-topic comment and link about a song.

Maestro, so what came first, the chicken or the egg?

If one needs to show these funds in Baht in a Thai bank in the name the applicant of the visa, but has no right to open a bank account in Thailand until they get visa, to remain in Thailand . Opposed to a 30 day entry stamp if arriving at an airport.

Doesn't make sense.

Please explain.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic comment and link about a song.

Is an alien on a 30 entry pass eligible to open a bank account in Thailand , with foreign or local currency?

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic comment and link about a CD

What is it with money in this country?? I have a non imm. o visa issued in Australia that will expire in September 2013. Since coming here I have purchased my amphur registered married wife a business, a home and myself a car and motorbike. They love you coming here and spending the money but then try and make it impossible for you to stay. Som num na Farang. Typical Thai bureaucracy. Smile at your face like they love you then smash you every way possible when your not looking. Corruption personified. I say let us stay and support our wives for god sake or tell us openly what the rules are. If you marry and support your wife and as Thai's are, the rest of their families, stop biting the bloody hand that feeds you!!!

Your post is exactly why I and many others on TV say to NEVER buy the wife a house, business, car, motorbike etc etc, unless you can afford to walk away from it all.

I agree for some and if it works for you personally then all is ok. I knew full well prior to purchasing assets here what the implications could be. I was venting in my last comment that occasionally Thailand can be very frustrating when it comes to getting clear, precise information that has the ability to maintain some continuity. There is always a solution to be found here even it it does mean paying some corruption money as I found with my local city hall representative when we sought licenses for our business. I also know of similar deals at immigration where a 12 month extension of stay based on marriage can be arranged without having the suggested 400k in the bank. You are correct though with being able to walk away. If your stupid enough you will get burnt. Please don't forget though that legally you are entitled to 49% of the assets if the marriage fails.You will need to fight for it to get it but this is legal advice I took prior to purchasing. It's better odds though than Australian currently has. Most men are lucky if they get 20%. On the bright side for every horror story you hear, their are some successful marriages and good Thai woman.

• Like 1

Well put mate.

I can tell the world that my marriage is alive an kicking, 12 years now, 2 daughters. Its all about give and take.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic comment and link about a CD

Maestro, so what came first, the chicken or the egg?

If one needs to show these funds in Baht in a Thai bank in the name the applicant of the visa, but has no right to open a bank account in Thailand until they get visa, to remain in Thailand . Opposed to a 30 day entry stamp if arriving at an airport.

Doesn't make sense.

Please explain.

The equivalent of 400k Baht in another currency in a bank outside Thailand is not acceptable to immigration for the application for extension of stay, ie for settling in Thailand, as you called it.

For a visa application, the MFA website states 20,000 Baht without limitation as to where in the world this has to be, but most consulates do not enforce this requirement.

If one doesn't have 400,000 in a bank or 40,000 a month in income how do you support your wife and family

It costs me 8,000 a month to support my Thai family.

Many Thai families live on 5,000 or less a month.

So approx 250bht a day ------I have heard of "cheap charlies" but this one boggles the mind !

What salary have you put your wife and family on?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This must be a joke, I opened a topic about this kind of visa one week ago, already paid for flights and hotel room... If someone has the 400k why they should bother going to KL when they can get the year extension without living the country?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Because In my experience local immigration offices do not apply the law they are looking for backhanders as usual , immigration officers are policemen.

This is what the Immigration policeman said about the origin of my 400,000 thb in the bank:

"It is impossible that the money You have in the bank came from the sale of a condo because foreigner needs work permit to sell a condo"

Now get back in the real (Thai) world.