Thai rice: Stringent US checks pose image problem for Thailand

webfact

UPDATE:
Doubt Cast On Reports Of 'Stringent' FDA Thai Rice Inspection

BANGKOK: -- Trade office of the Thai government based in Los Angeles has released statement dismissing reports circulated by a number of Thai media agencies that the US food agency is preventing Thai rice exports from passing through American ports due to possible chemical contamination.

Previously, Thai Rath, the best-selling newspaper in Thailand, has devoted its front page to reports that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered "every port" in the US to urgently quarantine rice grains exported from Thailand.

On the 6th page of the newspaper, Thai Rath quoted an unidentified ′′foreign news agency" saying that the FDA specifically ordered "every container" carrying Thai rice inspected out of fear that the grains processed under Thai government′s rice mortgage scheme contained dangerous level of insecticide chemicals.

The newspapers also included quote from an unnamed "rice exporter" who claimed that the US alert is one of the biggest issues for rice trading in the past 20-30 years as it could affect Thai rice export growth and confidence among consumers.

"The US has never inspected Thai rice in every container. Its measure has affected confidence in Thai rice quality. The Thai government needs to clarify these doubts clearly to the public," the unnamed individual reportedly told Thai Rath.

However, a report on the website of The Nation, the well-known English newspaper based in Bangkok, appears to carry the very same quotes that appeared on Thai Rath. The Nation′s reportincluded both reports from unidentified "foreign news agency" and the unnamed source.

"The US FDA has ordered every port such as in New York and Chicago to confine Thai rice for random inspection. ... The source said that such stringent inspection has created concern among American importers as well as Thai rice exporters. Importers could easily turn to order rice from other rice export countries such as Vietnam and Cambodia," The Nation website reported. The exact same quotes can be found in Thai Rath story on the matter.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qUXhNREUzTWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-28

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, the stringent measure by the US, one of the major rice importers, could destroy the image of Thai rice."

Is not the converse true? If Thai rice passes stringent measures, it could enhance the image of Thai rice.

Thailand should welcome this opportunity for free massive promotion of the quality of Thai rice by the US government.

Nice idea. If they really dig into this it could really be a problem. The fact is though it has been accepted for years so it will probably pass.

Unless of course, you open the container and it smells mouldy, which is pretty much an instant give away. Whoever loads this stuff is going to do a lot of sniffing before it goes in the container.

Would be nice to think that the first world knows what Thailand is like, and won't be fooled by the gloss. It's one of those 'we haven't found anything bad so everything must be ok' situations.

Presumably any attempt to, how shall we put it, "ensure compliance with US requirements", will do more harm than good.

UPDATE:

Doubt Cast On Reports Of 'Stringent' FDA Thai Rice Inspection

BANGKOK: -- Trade office of the Thai government based in Los Angeles has released statement dismissing reports circulated by a number of Thai media agencies that the US food agency is preventing Thai rice exports from passing through American ports due to possible chemical contamination.

Previously, Thai Rath, the best-selling newspaper in Thailand, has devoted its front page to reports that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered "every port" in the US to urgently quarantine rice grains exported from Thailand.

On the 6th page of the newspaper, Thai Rath quoted an unidentified ′′foreign news agency" saying that the FDA specifically ordered "every container" carrying Thai rice inspected out of fear that the grains processed under Thai government′s rice mortgage scheme contained dangerous level of insecticide chemicals.

The newspapers also included quote from an unnamed "rice exporter" who claimed that the US alert is one of the biggest issues for rice trading in the past 20-30 years as it could affect Thai rice export growth and confidence among consumers.

"The US has never inspected Thai rice in every container. Its measure has affected confidence in Thai rice quality. The Thai government needs to clarify these doubts clearly to the public," the unnamed individual reportedly told Thai Rath.

However, a report on the website of The Nation, the well-known English newspaper based in Bangkok, appears to carry the very same quotes that appeared on Thai Rath. The Nation′s reportincluded both reports from unidentified "foreign news agency" and the unnamed source.

"The US FDA has ordered every port such as in New York and Chicago to confine Thai rice for random inspection. ... The source said that such stringent inspection has created concern among American importers as well as Thai rice exporters. Importers could easily turn to order rice from other rice export countries such as Vietnam and Cambodia," The Nation website reported. The exact same quotes can be found in Thai Rath story on the matter.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qUXhNREUzTWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-28

I take this to mean cypermethrin used too late before harvest, not fumigation which is a habitual problem in Thai agriculture.

If this is the case, they are screwed.

A test will be done and the results pass or they don't. What a catastrophe. The EU limits for cypermethrin are tighter than the USA. Forget reassuring the Thai population, better start reassuring the USA fda.

This is funny in a way because of the pork issue, about being imported from the USA. You mess with our pork, we mess with your rice.

Quid pro quo.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I would think this means that they are going to be very careful what the sell to the US.

They would have to be ensuring that what goes into these containers is new seasons rice.

Other countries, I would suspect will also be watching this and will be wanting to be sure they get good stuff as well.

That being the case they still have the problem of what they can do with the old and possibly suspect rice.

I predicted that something like this would happen in one of my earlier postings although I mentioned the EU.

I hope for Thailand's sake that they don't find any contaminated rice or mold as this would really hit the Thai rice export market for years to come.

It's only a matter of time until the EU follows suit.

No need to overreact: As the man says:"normally there is hardly any contamination found in Thai rice shipments overseas" so with a resounding reassurance of quality like this from the man, who could worry.

Below is the US FDA advice on alerts for Thailand...there are 47 here, maybe a little early for rice inspections to be announced.

Import Alerts for a Country/Area
  • img_fdagov_utility_icon_print.png
    • img_fdagov_utility_icon_share.png
      • img_fdagov_utility_icon_email.png
-
THAILAND
DWPE = Detain without physical examination
Import Alert Number Import Alert Type Publish Date Import Alert Name 02-02 DWPE 05/28/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Processed Rice-Based Products Due to Filth" 16-05 DWPE 05/17/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Mahimahi Because of Histamine and Decomposition" 16-07 DWPE 12/17/2012 DETENTION WITHOUT PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF DRIED OR PICKLED FINFISH FROM THAILAND 16-08 DWPE 06/27/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Swordfish For Methyl Mercury" 16-105 DWPE 05/24/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Seafood and Seafood Products from Specific Manufacturers/Shippers Due to Decomposition and/or Histamines" 16-119 DWPE 06/27/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Fish And Fishery Products For Importer And Foreign Processor (Manuf) Combinations" 16-12 DWPE 10/06/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Frog Legs" 16-120 DWPE 06/19/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Fish/Fishery Products from Foreign Processors (Mfrs.) Not in Compliance with Seafood HACCP" 16-124 DWPE 06/24/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Aquaculture Seafood Products Due To Unapproved Drugs" 16-17 DWPE 03/18/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Salmonella in Frozen Whole Fish from Thailand" 16-18 DWPE 06/18/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Shrimp" 16-22 DWPE 01/04/2012 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Canned Shrimp from Thailand for Decomposition" 16-25 DWPE 01/19/2012 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Canned Crabmeat from Thailand" 16-39 DWPE 06/27/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Processed Seafood and Analogue Seafood (Surimi) Products for Listeria Monocytogenes" 16-47 DWPE 10/07/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Red Snapper from Thailand" 16-50 DWPE 10/07/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Molluscan Shellfish" 16-74 DWPE 06/24/2013 "Detention without physical Examination of Uneviscerated Fish Or Partially Eviscerated Fish that are Either Salt-Cured, Dried, Smoked, Pickled, Fermented or Brined *** (i.e., excluding LACF and Acidified Products Filed Under 21 CFR 108/113 or 114)***" 16-81 DWPE 06/27/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Seafood Products Due to the Presence of Salmonella" 16-95 DWPE 03/18/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Canned Tuna Due to Decomposition" 21-07 DWPE 04/03/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Tamarind Products (Fresh and/or Processed) from All Shippers from All Countries Due to Filth" 23-02 DWPE 10/11/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Melon Seeds" 23-12 DWPE with Surveillance 03/30/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Coconut Due to the Presence of Microbiological Contamination" 23-14 DWPE 06/20/2013 Detention Without Physical Examination of Food Products due to the Presence of Aflatoxin 24-02 DWPE 10/11/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Kwong Hung Seng Brand Yellow Bean Sauce From Bangkok- Thailand for Filth" 25-18 DWPE 03/18/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Canned Mushrooms (All Sizes From Named Manufacturers)in Thailand" 36-03 DWPE 06/20/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Honey Due to Chloramphenicol" 36-04 DWPE 05/23/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Honey and Blended Syrup Due to Presence of Fluoroquinolones" 45-02 DWPE 06/24/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination and Guidance of Foods Containing Illegal and/or Undeclared Colors." 45-07 DWPE 06/06/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Food Products Containing Illegal Undeclared Sweeteners" 52-08 DWPE with Surveillance 06/12/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Ceramicware Due to Excessive Lead and/or Cadmium" 53-06 DWPE 06/07/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Cosmetics Containing Illegal Colors" 53-17 DWPE 06/06/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Cosmetics Due To Microbiological Contamination" 66-10 DWPE 03/18/2011 Chinese Herbal Medicines 66-34 DWPE 03/18/2011 "Detention Without Physical Examination of All Asian Products Containing Chloramphenicol Palmitate" 66-41 DWPE 06/14/2013 Detention Without Physical Examination of Unapproved New Drugs Promoted In The U.S. 66-57 DWPE 12/14/2012 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Foreign manufactured Unapproved Prescription Drugs Promoted to Individuals in the U.S." 66-66 DWPE 06/21/2013 "APIs That Appear To Be Misbranded Under 502(f)(1) Because They Do Not Meet The Requirements For The Labeling Exemptions In 21 CFR 201.122" 72-03 DWPE 10/24/2012 "Detention Without Physical Examination and Intensified Coverage of Pig Ears And Other Pet Treats Due To The Presence Of Salmonella" 80-04 DWPE with Surveillance 06/25/2013 "Surveillance and Detention Without Physical Examination of Surgeon's and Patient Examination Gloves" 85-02 DWPE 06/05/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Condoms" 89-04 DWPE 06/14/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Devices From Firms That Have Not Met Device GMP's" 99-04 DWPE 06/25/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination of Manufacturers Of Low Acid Canned Foods And Acidified Foods" 99-05 DWPE 06/25/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Raw Agricultural Products for Pesticides" 99-08 DWPE 06/21/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Processed Foods for Pesticides" 99-19 DWPE 06/25/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Food Products Due To The Presence Of Salmonella" 99-20 DWPE 06/10/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Imported Food Products Due to NLEA Violations" 99-21 DWPE with Surveillance 05/22/2013 "Detention Without Physical Examination and Surveillance Of Food Products Containing Sulfites"
-
-

I would think this means that they are going to be very careful what the sell to the US.

They would have to be ensuring that what goes into these containers is new seasons rice.

Other countries, I would suspect will also be watching this and will be wanting to be sure they get good stuff as well.

That being the case they still have the problem of what they can do with the old and possibly suspect rice.

Not only the US but Europe and possibly every country worldwide. In fact all the 'good stuff' may have to be exported leaving the rotten rice to be sold here in Thailand.

There's a nice thought to contemplate as you sit down to dinner tonight.

Bon appetit!

The US FDA has ordered every port such as in New York and Chicago to confine Thai rice for random inspection. If the agency finds Thai rice with problems such as contamination, fungus, mold, or over-fumigation five times, the importer would be ordered to refuse Thai rice from exporters.

Has anyone found anything to back up this claim?

The only FDA alert I could find is this one:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_2.html

dated 5/28/13

Is this what is referenced?

Authority denies US quarantine of Thai rice
Submitted by TNA on Fri, 06/28/2013 - 13:12
The full content of this page is available to premium users only. You can contact us to gain premium access to full texts, high resoluton photos and videos at [email protected]
BANGKOK, June 28 (TNA) - Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikua has denied recent reports that the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) has ordered all port operators and importers nationwide to quarantine Thai rice for fear of chemical contamination.

http://www.oananews.org/content/news/general/authority-denies-us-quarantine-thai-rice

Before coup rumors, now rice rumors. Gotta love this place. ;)

Edited by lomatopo

Who is the largest holder of Monsanto you guess it Soros no need to say more

Feel free to back this up. So maybe a need to say a bit more.whistling.gif

I think I own MON. (FIDINV)

http://investors.morningstar.com/ownership/shareholders-major.html?t=MON

http://investors.morningstar.com/ownership/shareholders-major.html?t=MON

Edited by lomatopo

does fresh 2013 rice need fumigation? or they try to keep and sell 5 year old rotten rice ?

good for thailand to shoot themselves in the footh again...

other countries should be very wary to buy any rice from this country... chemical bound, illegaly imported to be used in the scam and sell as premium thai rice, etc...

in the meantime, we expats will have to eat also this rotten rice anywhere soon between now and 5-10 years ?

time to buy private hospital stocks... with all the new cancers popping up real soon

does fresh 2013 rice need fumigation? or they try to keep and sell 5 year old rotten rice ?

good for thailand to shoot themselves in the footh again...

other countries should be very wary to buy any rice from this country... chemical bound, illegaly imported to be used in the scam and sell as premium thai rice, etc...

in the meantime, we expats will have to eat also this rotten rice anywhere soon between now and 5-10 years ?

time to buy private hospital stocks... with all the new cancers popping up real soon

It should probably be fumigated every 3 to 6 months.

Paddy rice shouldn't be stored within 3km of processed to prevent contamination, and then it should be fumigated just before shipment to insure it is absolutely free of pests.

That, or they could find no contamination, thereby bolstering the reputation of Thai rice by passing the most stringent import inspections around.

I missed the part where they explain why the US has upped it's standards for Thai imports, exclusively.
Assuming it is only Thai rice, and not all rice, which would completely nullify all of the concerns listed here.

This is the least of there problems by becoming the buyer of choice for most Thai rice this government has destroyed the old system of traders buying and selling rice and it will take a long time to get it fixed. Big T has destroyed the Thai rice industry

I can only speak from an American perspective. We don't eat that much rice.. We eat potatoes.. We don't know Thai rice from Vietnam rice. So it say's made in Thailand on the label. Or Thai jasmine rice on the label. Please believe me, we don't know the difference. coffee1.gif

There are a few americans who know I prefer Japanese rice myself

• Like 1

I can only speak from an American perspective. We don't eat that much rice.. We eat potatoes.. We don't know Thai rice from Vietnam rice. So it say's made in Thailand on the label. Or Thai jasmine rice on the label. Please believe me, we don't know the difference. coffee1.gif

There are a few americans who know I prefer Japanese rice myself

Fragrant rice is a bit of an acquired taste to serious rice eaters.

I wonder if the rice I buy at Tesco is safe ? Tesco sell palm oil, and thats an oil thats not safe for human consume. In many European countries the palm oil is banned. It`s not allowed as human food. In Thailand it`s the most selling cooking oil. Why ? Because it`cheap. Palm oil is only useful as diesel for engines. It harms your body. The Thai government know this, but they don`t CARE about their population. Tesco only want to make money, so they will sell rat-poison as food if they make money. Therefore I think I have to buy my rice from the local farmer, which I know.

• Like 1

"However, the stringent measure by the US, one of the major rice importers, could destroy the image of Thai rice."

Is not the converse true? If Thai rice passes stringent measures, it could enhance the image of Thai rice.

Thailand should welcome this opportunity for free massive promotion of the quality of Thai rice by the US government.

You're joking, right? Seriously... Any layman will tell you that by passing inspection, it simply means the rice is acceptable, NOT exceptional! Please explain how merely passing inspection gives it exemplary qualities?

Edited by yeeowww