Multiple entry ED visa and 90 day reporting at immigration

hi

I am thinking of getting a multiple entry ED visa

If you have a multiple entry ED visa and do a border run before 90 days, do you still have to do a 90 day report at local immigration?

A friend of mine is still doing 90 reporting at local immigration even though he does a border crossing every 90 days when his three months is up

thanks

90 day address reporting is never required on 90 day or less visa entry. Even if on an extension any exit resets the clock and next report is due 90 days from return (if you travel often you may never report).

• Like 2

90 day address reporting is never required on 90 day or less visa entry. Even if on an extension any exit resets the clock and next report is due 90 days from return (if you travel often you may never report).

thank you

that's exactly as I thought

Hi neronimo,

I am on an Ed visa, I am from the U.K got the visa in Laos, there is no such thing as a multi-entry Ed-visa. You will only get a 3 month visa for education, then every 90 days you will need to report to the relevant immigration office to request an extension to stay for another 90 days, this is usually the one nearest the school you are learning at, the school will need to give you the correct paperwork to do this. You do not need to leave Thailand and do a boarder run every 90 days.

However, if you wish to visit another country while you are in any 9o day period, you need to get a reentry form from the school or immigration, otherwise you visa will be invalid.

Edited by Psych01
  • Like 1

The ED visa is just a normal non immigrant visa and they are issued in single or multi entry types and none allow more than a 90 day stay. As for extensions of stay inside Thailand they cost 1,900 baht each time and may be for any period of time up to one year for education. For part time language study it is normally 3 months but can, and is, longer at some locations and for some schools.

• Like 1

For an Ed visa of one year, which I have, you need to have 180 hours of study, this equates to you having to study a minimum of 4 hours in a week. Even on this, you only get a 3 month ed visa from Laos, then you have to report every 90 days for an extension of stay.

@lopburi you are correct on the pricing.

This first visa can actually be extended every 12-15 months by the school. Therefore, not having to go and renew your initial visa every 12-15 months. I am not absolutely sure, but out of the initial visa and the extension provided by the school you can obtain up to 3 years validity, on the one visa application. This can be done for up to 10 years, then I believe a completely new application for a visa will be required, and applied for outside of Thailand.

@MeowBundit, this is true I think only if you are on a Non-O standard type. If you are on a Non-Ed you need to actually report in person for the 1st report. However, the school you are registered at can usually do any subsequent 90 day reports for you, for a fee, after your initial 90 day report.

Also, with the 90 day report by post you will need to factor in the "15 days" prior to your actual date and any Thai national holidays.

Edited by Psych01