Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

Permit to stay or whatever it's not rocket science to collect the fee.

Consider who is proposing this program (Thai Politicians), foreigners targeted, (foreign exchange invovled), who will adminstrator the program, (civil employees), who will provide insurance (local companies, in part) by the time they finish fleecing the tourists, skimming from fees, accounting, etc rocket science/planning/lift off, will look simple.

As you know that's the way things work in Thailand and we ain't going to change it.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any traveller who does not have insurance is a fool.

The Thai government could easily add a little extra to the cost of a visa which would compensate for

access to medical attention.

What is a little extra...??.....of course going this route, will also leave Thailand open to abuse by people who travel to Thailand to afford themselves of free medical treatment because they have only paid "a little extra cost"

If this policy comes into fruition, which personally dont think will happen..the Thai goverment would be wise to stay well away from underwriting this system.....let the insurance companies sort out the insurance not the goverment

As usual a bunch of people going on about nothing. A few years ago I was in Chiang Mai Ram hospital and there was a French girl with a very bad foot infection with out the money to pay, no insurance, and no one coming to her rescue. Who was going to cover her treatment as many here say o should be free. Come on people when has hospital care any where been free. A lot of talk about Thai corruption but none about how people travelling should cover their ass. From reading the many post about Thailand and the many different subjects the responses reek of racism.

In Thailand, you always get treated first THEN the bill comes. I have never been asked to provide payment when I am just entering a hospital, because how much would the hospital know to charge? Thus your statement is ludicrous. If the girl was in pain, she would have been provided with treatment and THEN a bill would have been issued. I am therefore very suspicious of your claim that she wasn't treated in the first place.

The reason for the negativity is that there's a group of foreigners living here that is retired or married to a Thai.

Many of these foreigners are living on a Thai budget.

- An insurance that is valid for 1 year, which covers very basic healthcare would probably cost 20K baht per year or more for healthy, young people.

Many people of this group have difficulties to buy such an insurance, because this amount might be equal to their whole budget for 1 month (or more).

You could say they could go to move back to their own country, but it's not as simple as that.

- And then there the group of older people which can't get an insurance (for a reasonable fee).

To avoid dramas I would choose for a slight increase in visa fees which covers the cost government hospitals have for taking care of foreign patients that are really incapable to pay for the fees.

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab to me.

Here's a better idea.

"the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service"

How about simply legislating that state hospitals NOT provide foreigners with free medical service. Why do they anyway?

Wouldn't that be a lot easier than setting up a whole new bureaucratic arm?

The problem with your idea is what do you do with the deadbeat tourist that can not pay or will not pay.

What do you do at emergency when the FARANG has written off his rented motorbike and needs serious head trauma because he was not wearing a helmet.

That deadbeat could also be a Myanmar trader or guest worker with no concept of road safety. However, driving standards in Myanmar are still a bit higher than here so perhaps the chances of them getting into an accident are somewhat reduced because of this.

It's easy to devise a system of paying on-line prior to entry.

As for the immigration lines the biggest culprits are those who fail to fill out the landing card.

I've seen loads fill it out at the desk.

This is not always their fault. I flew in last March after flying home for a couple of weeks to see my folks. Usually I have been given a landing card aboard the plane, but this time we were not - told they would be in the terminal. However, the 4 desks all had empty card slots and people were meandering around looking for them (no staff to be seen unless you queue of course) - I got one eventually by going to the VIP arrivals booth and asking in Thai for one - they pointed to the desk, to which I said there were none there - after a couple of minutes a girl came up with one for me (she went to the passport control desk and got one!). If they can't organise filling up 4 tables (about 40 slots) with landing cards, how likely they can handle collecting insurance paid slips.

One way to make it work would be to add it to the airline landing fee - which would be passed on to customers - this would mean of course people would pay even if they did have personal insurance.

• Like 2

As usual a bunch of people going on about nothing. A few years ago I was in Chiang Mai Ram hospital and there was a French girl with a very bad foot infection with out the money to pay, no insurance, and no one coming to her rescue. Who was going to cover her treatment as many here say o should be free. Come on people when has hospital care any where been free. A lot of talk about Thai corruption but none about how people travelling should cover their ass. From reading the many post about Thailand and the many different subjects the responses reek of racism.

In Thailand, you always get treated first THEN the bill comes. I have never been asked to provide payment when I am just entering a hospital, because how much would the hospital know to charge? Thus your statement is ludicrous. If the girl was in pain, she would have been provided with treatment and THEN a bill would have been issued. I am therefore very suspicious of your claim that she wasn't treated in the first place.

CM RAM is the most expensive hospital in CM, why anyone would choose to go there is entirely beyond me.

Especially as Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital is only about 200m away in Suthep Rd.

Foot infection treatment in government hospital, lets assume 48hrs intravenous antibiotics, pain killers and a night in the ward, about 400-800bht.

Who needs insurance?

As previously compared, treatment + 8 stitches + meds in private clinic 300bht Vs same in CMRAM 4,500bht (and only 500m apart)

I'm surprised insurance companies haven't crossed CMRAM off their list of acceptable hospitals.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

This is half true. What usually happens is that while the person is being treated, family members will be filling in forms (or handing over their hospital cards if they pre-registered) which covers all the usual; including insurance. The insurance will be validated. If no insurance, they are likely to ask for a deposit and/or a credit card to be validated and put on file.

When my daughter went into hospital a couple of years ago (she is a Thai national/dual British) I sat at the desk while my daughter went into to triage with her grandmother. I had called my insurance lady (who actually drove us to the hospital!) and she took care of the forms - she was released after 2 days and the bill I got was fully paid (except a coke and pack of crisps I had from the mini-bar) - and included a pre-paid check up as an out patient a week later.

They are pretty efficient in my experience if all the paperwork is there - it may be difficult if someone turns up with no insurance or credit card! (unless Thai and at a state hospital - the above was a private hospital)

• Like 1

CM RAM is the most expensive hospital in CM, why anyone would choose to go there is entirely beyond me.

Especially as Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital is only about 200m away in Suthep Rd.

Foot infection treatment in government hospital, lets assume 48hrs intravenous antibiotics, pain killers and a night in the ward, about 400-800bht.

Who needs insurance?

As previously compared, treatment + 8 stitches + meds in private clinic 300bht Vs same in CMRAM 4,500bht (and only 500m apart)

I'm surprised insurance companies haven't crossed CMRAM off their list of acceptable hospitals.

You'd have to be a pretty fit crow to call it 500 metres but that's OK laugh.png

Since it was me who paid the 4,500 baht for my stitches at RAM I have to say I'm really pleased with it all and I wouldn't hestitate to do the same again. It took about eight minutes from me walking in the door to the first stitch being sutured and everyone spoke a good level of English, it was painless, quick and given what it was, pleasant enough, that's what I need when I'm bleeding and broken rather than anything else. BTW, 4,500 baht is what, USD 150!

Edited by chiang mai

Who needs insurance?

You'd have to be a pretty fit crow to call it 500 metres but that's OK laugh.png

Since it was me who paid the 4,500 baht for my stitches at RAM I have to say I'm really pleased with it all and I wouldn't hestitate to do the same again. It took about eight minutes from me walking in the door to the first stitch being sutured and everyone spoke a good level of English, it was painless, quick and given what it was, pleasant enough, that's what I need when I'm bleeding and broken rather than anything else. BTW, 4,500 baht is what, USD 150!

And I got exactly the same service for 1/10 the price.

And they taught me the Thai words for what was going on, medical injury previously lacking from my language skills.

(The doctor did speak English, but not the nursing and admin staff)

Dtairk = split open, yep = stitch, khem = needle

Who needs insurance?

And I got exactly the same service for 1/10 the price.

And they taught me the Thai words for what was going on, medical injury previously lacking from my language skills.

(The doctor did speak English, but not the nursing and admin staff)

Dtairk = split open, yep = stitch, khem = needle

Ah yes, but did you get RAM points and the telephone number of the cute nurse? laugh.png

Ah yes, but did you get RAM points and the telephone number of the cute nurse? laugh.png

Sadly, no cute nurse, one 50ish female nurse, one 40ish male nurse, and a 30ish male doctor.

But with the 4,000bht I saved, I could have rented some personal cuteness for the next 4 nights.

Swings and roundabouts then! cheesy.gif

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

I have used the govt hospital in Naton Koh Samui. It is cheap and i always pay, never heard of it being free !

I have never heard of government hospitals being free to farangs either. I have personally seen a government hospital nursing staff summon security when they thought a hill-tribe woman was about to do a runner. She was a heck of a lot "more Thai" than a farang. They had a relative come and I overheard a discussion of him borrowing money against his motorcycle to pay the older woman's bill.

There is a lot of moaning about this from expats living in Thailand who must not have read the OP or it's source.

This proposal applies only to visitors.

So if you are resident in Thailand, e.g. living with a marriage visa, then as proposed this requirement wont apply to you.

Unless I've missed something.

Of course, if you are a visa runner, then it presumably will.

Unlike the similar proposal from the UK government, which wont just apply to visitors but the non EEA national, e.g. Thai, spouses and partners of British citizens as well!

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

I too, think it is an excellent idea. Travel insurance policies are dirt cheap for tourists. Many are only US $50.00 for 30 days of coverage through am International carrier.

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab to me.

Here's a better idea.

"the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service"

How about simply legislating that state hospitals NOT provide foreigners with free medical service. Why do they anyway?

Wouldn't that be a lot easier than setting up a whole new bureaucratic arm?

Many years ago had to have an ankle lanced as the result of a mozzy bite. The service wasn't free but very cheap. Is it only provided free by state hospitals?

It is not free! Why do people keep posting this nonsense. It is not as expensive as a private hospital but it is NOT free.

The reason for the negativity is that there's a group of foreigners living here that is retired or married to a Thai.

- An insurance that is valid for 1 year, which covers very basic healthcare would probably cost 20K baht per year or more for healthy, young people.

Many people of this group have difficulties to buy such an insurance, because this amount might be equal to their whole budget for 1 month (or more).

You could say they could go to move back to their own country, but it's not as simple as that.

- And then there the group of older people which can't get an insurance (for a reasonable fee).

To avoid dramas I would choose for a slight increase in visa fees which covers the cost government hospitals have for taking care of foreign patients that are really incapable to pay for the fees.

But a Burmese immigrant worker pays 150 baht a month to access government hospitals..

ok and dont think I am trying to be smartar*e here..but which medical treatment ?....

I have know people who have also had "sufficient liquid assets" and went the "self-insurance" route and nearly bankrupted themselves when they founf themselves in a medical "situation" as regards returning to Ozzy of course this is an option, but what happens if you find yourself in a situation in Thailand which prevents you travelling normally and would require a medivac type situation ?...will the Aussie goverment pay for a medical evacuation and all that entails for you ?

Good point. Also what if you need emergency surgery or treatment and can't wait for an evacuation?

I have an American friend who lived in BKK for 15 years. He was/is in poor health and never had insurance or any money put away for an emergency. He always said he would go to Japan or Korea and use his U.S. veterans benefits at a military hospital there if he needed major treatment. One day while sitting on the runway waiting for take off at Suvarnabhumi he had a heart attack. There was no time to implement his "medical plan" of course and he was removed from the airplane and transported to a hospital that contracts with the airport. He was required to put 75,000 Baht on his credit card before they wheeled him into in the E.R. Two days later when he was discharged from the CCU, his bill was 159,000 Baht. He didn't have the money or any more credit on his USA credit card to pay the balance. They kept his passport and took him home in a luxury mini-van and for the next 48 hours, the 2 guys from the hospital mini-van camped out in front of his house! They told my friend they would stay as long as necessary until he felt well enough to ride around BKK and they would take him anywhere he needed to go; banks, friend's houses, U.S. Embassy, etc. until he was able to come up with the cash to pay his balance. By the end of day 2 he came up with the money.

I would like to see the amount spent per year on tourists without insurance. From the article it sounds as though hospitals are incurring huge loses due to this which I am willing to bet they're not. It sounds like a way to add an extra fee in the guise of a legitimate issue.

High costs will be incurred if it is the result of a serious accident of illness, Dengue for example and IC is expensive. If the tourist doesn't possess insurance or the amount to pay the hospital what are the options?

I know a Canadian girl who had Dengue in Chiang Mai. She did not posses travel insurance or have sufficient cash for admission to a Thai hospital. They kept her comfortable in a "holding area" of the hospital for about 12 hours, provided an IV, food and water, meds, etc. until they could contact her parents in Canada at which time they had to put 100,000 THB on their credit card in order for her to be admitted. In the end her bill was in excess of 100,000 THB - I think about 150,000 or 5,000 Canadian Dollars.

Option would be going to a government hospital for basic treatment but they would not keep you for a week with Dengue I don't think.

Another point is that foreigners pay at least 5 times what thais pay to visit government funded monuments at national parks. Aren't we indirectly funding our "free" coverage, which I am sure is used in a small minority of cases.

This is also true in Thai private hospitals.

Slightly off topic.

I had reason to visit one this month (gashed my calf open when cycling), 10 stitches, 2 nurses, 1 doctor, bandages, injections, antibiotics, pain killers.

Total cost 300bht, no ID or paperwork required until after the treatment. I'm absolutely convinced a foreigner would have been charged 10x that amount. In and out in less than one hour. Less than $10, I couldn't have even parked my car in the US hospital car park for that!

Hospital care in CM is so cheap for Thais, it just isn't worthwhile queuing in a government hospital.

Uh...you are slightly misinformed when you say "Hospital care in CM is so cheap for Thais, it just isn't worthwhile queuing in a government hospital."

ok and dont think I am trying to be smartar*e here..but which medical treatment ?....

I have know people who have also had "sufficient liquid assets" and went the "self-insurance" route and nearly bankrupted themselves when they founf themselves in a medical "situation" as regards returning to Ozzy of course this is an option, but what happens if you find yourself in a situation in Thailand which prevents you travelling normally and would require a medivac type situation ?...will the Aussie goverment pay for a medical evacuation and all that entails for you ?

Good point. Also what if you need emergency surgery or treatment and can't wait for an evacuation?

I have an American friend who lived in BKK for 15 years. He was/is in poor health and never had insurance or any money put away for an emergency. He always said he would go to Japan or Korea and use his U.S. veterans benefits at a military hospital there if he needed major treatment. One day while sitting on the runway waiting for take off at Suvarnabhumi he had a heart attack. There was no time to implement his "medical plan" of course and he was removed from the airplane and transported to a hospital that contracts with the airport. He was required to put 75,000 Baht on his credit card before they wheeled him into in the E.R. Two days later when he was discharged from the CCU, his bill was 159,000 Baht. He didn't have the money or any more credit on his USA credit card to pay the balance. They kept his passport and took him home in a luxury mini-van and for the next 48 hours, the 2 guys from the hospital mini-van camped out in front of his house! They told my friend they would stay as long as necessary until he felt well enough to ride around BKK and they would take him anywhere he needed to go; banks, friend's houses, U.S. Embassy, etc. until he was able to come up with the cash to pay his balance. By the end of day 2 he came up with the money.

excellent example....and the hosptial concerned were being nice in accomadating him in this way, they could have just was easily held his PP and kept him in hosptial and not allowed him to leave and continued to run the bill even higher

A lot of farangs in Thailand accuse Thai's of being stupid, but to me living in a country with no recourse to "free" medical treatment or having insurance IMHO is just as stupid and very irresponsible

As stated previously, the requirement to have some form of medical insurance for Thailand, if your not a Thai citizen/PR is a good one, and should encompass all foreigners living here long or short term, If said person cannot provide proof of insurance for what ever reason then they should be required to lodge a "bond" with the Thai goverment to cover any unforsee circumstances

As stated previously, the requirement to have some form of medical insurance for Thailand, if your not a Thai citizen/PR is a good one, and should encompass all foreigners living here long or short term, If said person cannot provide proof of insurance for what ever reason then they should be required to lodge a "bond" with the Thai goverment to cover any unforsee circumstances

Unfortunately being a PR does not entitle a person to coverage under the Thai universal coverage scheme.

I copied the following from another thread where it was posted today, courtesy Mapranghomes, it makes the point rather well that it WILL be reciprocal and that foriegners entering the UK will have to raise a deposit to cover health care costs: (apologies that it's the Sun newspaper):

ALL foreigners arriving in Britain will face a fee of up to thousands of pounds to pay for their healthcare.

The levy will be mandatory for everyone except tourists for any stay longer than six months in a new Government plan.

It will be paid upfront, before migrants know whether they will need any treatment and will be imposed even if they have private health insurance, The Sun can reveal.

The scheme — which hopes to recoup the £200million a year the NHS currently pays treating non-Brits — will be unveiled by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt tomorrow.

A senior source told The Sun: “The pressures on the health service are already huge with our ageing population, so we need to start relieving the burden.

“A migrant flat fee re-introduces the important contributory principle. Why should foreigners get treatment for free, while British citizens pay for theirs through their taxes?”

The charge’s exact figure has yet to be decided, and is expected to be put out to a public consultation.

But a heated row is raging in the Coalition over whether it should be set at a few hundred pounds or to several thousand, The Sun has learned.

And the proposals are already facing strong opposition from the Business and Education departments.

Ministers there insist it could hit investment and talent coming in to the country by making it too expensive for many — as well as slashing colleges’ and universities’ potential income.

The levy — which already exists in some nations such as Australia — will appear in the government’s flagship Immigration Bill in the autumn.

Mr Hunt will also unveil a new registration and tracking system to spot freeloading foreign patients trying to rip off British taxpayers

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2XrhHIPz0

Overseas students coming to Australia for study, must take out health insurance with an Australian medical insurance organisation, before they are allowed to travel.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on tourists.

What I DO know is that being over 65 and no longer a resident of Australia, it seems impossible to get any sort of medical insurance, especially with the usual problems of age, such as high sugar, moderately high blood pressure.

Where do you get the figure of 20K per year for "for healthy, young people"? They could get a policy for 5-6K THB per year from one of the large Thai health insurance companies. I'm not young (but am healthy) and pay about 8K THB per year for decent health and accident coverage. I can increase the coverage at any time.

Unfortunately being a PR does not entitle a person to coverage under the Thai universal coverage scheme.

I think you will find a lot of PR's are working or have worked in Thailand, therefore believe they would be covered

excellent example....and the hosptial concerned were being nice in accomadating him in this way, they could have just was easily held his PP and kept him in hosptial and not allowed him to leave and continued to run the bill even higher

A lot of farangs in Thailand accuse Thai's of being stupid, but to me living in a country with no recourse to "free" medical treatment or having insurance IMHO is just as stupid and very irresponsible

Now we have to pay to live? We all should just get medical insurance.. problem solved. Move over Obama..

There seems to be an agressive push by some posters here to have compulsory insurance on all foreigners. I would be interested in seeing actual numbers of people who don't pay their hospital bills each year, against the number of foreigners that end up in prison each year. Maybe we can also make those evil foreigners pay for jail insurance up front just in case they find themselves causing more undue financial distress on the state. Perhaps funeral insurance as well when the foreigner dies without money to pay to burn them. How about a tourist police services insurance, in case they find themselves needing the assistance of the thai tourist police. Any other compulsory insurances that we can think of to make them pay before they even set foot in Thailand?

These rich foreigners have been exploiting Thailand for too long, coming here and using up all the valuable oxygen.

• Like 1

I think you will find a lot of PR's are working or have worked in Thailand, therefore believe they would be covered

My comment was explicitly about coverage under the UCS. Many expats who are (or were previously) employed in Thailand are covered by the Social Security Scheme, but that is not affected by their PR status. I think that it is important to be clear that PR status per se makes no difference to health care entitlements in Thailand.

My comment was explicitly about coverage under the UCS. Many expats who are (or were previously) employed in Thailand are covered by the Social Security Scheme, but that is not affected by their PR status. I think that it is important to be clear that PR status per se makes no difference to health care entitlements in Thailand.

+1