Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

Am I naive in thinking they could simply tack on a small standard fee for all tourists entering the country to compensate for the cost of emergency medical services to the minority of tourists that actually use the hospital?

Not insurance, per se. Just a surcharge for the unavoidable fact that some uninsured people will end up in the hospital on occasion.

Seems pretty straightforward and feasible on the face of it.

Oh please please, sir. May I pay some more tax? I have medical insurance and consider medical care my own responsibility to provide for, but I'm going to accept responsibility for all those who refuse to take responsibility for themselves. I have a pulse and don't really think for a moment any of these fees or taxes will actually end up going for the purpose intended, but... I just don't think I pay enough tax & fees to travel now: I should definitely pay more!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be an agressive push by some posters here to have compulsory insurance on all foreigners. I would be interested in seeing actual numbers of people who don't pay their hospital bills each year, against the number of foreigners that end up in prison each year. Maybe we can also make those evil foreigners pay for jail insurance up front just in case they find themselves causing more undue financial distress on the state. Perhaps funeral insurance as well when the foreigner dies without money to pay to burn them. How about a tourist police services insurance, in case they find themselves needing the assistance of the thai tourist police. Any other compulsory insurances that we can think of to make them pay before they even set foot in Thailand?

These rich foreigners have been exploiting Thailand for too long, coming here and using up all the valuable oxygen.

LOL. Careful though - your remark could become the genesis of a "resource consumption" tax!

As usual, some drowsy Thai government official starts shouting like a chicken without a head and almost everyone on TV is panicking.

Just hold your breath for a few month or even years, because that's what it takes to design, write, publish and enforce this change to the immigration law.

As with a lot of other countries (like ALL SCHENGEN countries), tourists, non-immigrants and who ever would like to enter Schengen on a temporary bases, should have a travel-insurance.......no insurance, no visa.

But ok, let's just wait and see.

Edited by joepattaya1961

The reason for the negativity is that there's a group of foreigners living here that is retired or married to a Thai.

Many of these foreigners are living on a Thai budget.

- An insurance that is valid for 1 year, which covers very basic healthcare would probably cost 20K baht per year or more for healthy, young people.

Many people of this group have difficulties to buy such an insurance, because this amount might be equal to their whole budget for 1 month (or more).

You could say they could go to move back to their own country, but it's not as simple as that.

- And then there the group of older people which can't get an insurance (for a reasonable fee).

To avoid dramas I would choose for a slight increase in visa fees which covers the cost government hospitals have for taking care of foreign patients that are really incapable to pay for the fees.

Where do you get the figure of 20K per year for "for healthy, young people"? They could get a policy for 5-6K THB per year from one of the large Thai health insurance companies. I'm not young (but am healthy) and pay about 8K THB per year for decent health and accident coverage. I can increase the coverage at any time.

Total cost for me, wife and 2 kids is 90k per year with Bupa, which has so far been ok. 20k per year is about the figure that i have ever come across, for something approaching ok coverage. Young kids are even more expensive due to the likelihood of rough and tumble injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

what happened about changing which side cars drive was that just talk ,health insurance is good when you travel and in some counties to live in it is a must ,Uk have free health cover ,but is it worth having these days

The discussion about changing from left to right hand driving was an April Fool's Joke. There was never any serious discussion about it and in a country with very few foreign registered vehicles it will never happen as there's no need for it. The average Bangkokian will find they might spot a Lao or Malaysian registered car about 3-5 times a year - hardly much reason to consider changing the side of driving. Also, when was the last time a Lao or Malaysian truck entered Bangkok? Answer: never.

Tomtom I don't know about Laos but I am quite sure Malaysia and Thailand drive on the same side of the road already!!! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

They drive on the right in Lao. If you look at many of the border crossings in goggle maps you can see the switch over points.

At a rough guide, most of the Asian countries that drive on the left were either ex British colonies, e.g. Sri Lanka (Ceylon). India, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, or at some time British associated like Myanmar (Burma).

Lao, Viet Nam, Cambodia were French and Thailand Anybody's !

If the police were more capable of doing what they were recruited and paid to do, that is administering the law. There would'nt be such a drain on medical services. Last week spending the morning in the government hospital at Nathon, Koh Samui's emergency department with a young lady suffering brain trauma from a motor cy accident (No crash helmet). I witnessed no less than 6 admissions in 4 hrs., from motor cy accidents 4 of which suffered head injuries, once again no crash helmets. The police on Samui are so bloody lazy, but i notice that they do wear their helmets when on a motorcy. The police on Samui are definately to blame, as when i am in Suratthani on the mainland, everybody wears a helmet or pay the fine.

Edited by oldsailor35

There seems to be an agressive push by some posters here to have compulsory insurance on all foreigners. I would be interested in seeing actual numbers of people who don't pay their hospital bills each year, against the number of foreigners that end up in prison each year. Maybe we can also make those evil foreigners pay for jail insurance up front just in case they find themselves causing more undue financial distress on the state. Perhaps funeral insurance as well when the foreigner dies without money to pay to burn them. How about a tourist police services insurance, in case they find themselves needing the assistance of the thai tourist police. Any other compulsory insurances that we can think of to make them pay before they even set foot in Thailand?

These rich foreigners have been exploiting Thailand for too long, coming here and using up all the valuable oxygen.

I have funeral insurance amounting to approx Bht240,000. but am wondering what the cost of a temple burning is here, however my mate tells me,that should be enough to do it a couple of times and still put on a piss up for the boys...................Anybody got any idea ?

Edited by oldsailor35

As usual, some drowsy Thai government official starts shouting like a chicken without a head and almost everyone on TV is panicking.

Just hold your breath for a few month or even years, because that's what it takes to design, write, publish and enforce this change to the immigration law.

As with a lot of other countries (like ALL SCHENGEN countries), tourists, non-immigrants and who ever would like to enter Schengen on a temporary bases, should have a travel-insurance.......no insurance, no visa.

But ok, let's just wait and see.

So how exactly does that work? I'm a tourist from the US let's say, and walk up to the immigration counter. Asked if I have medical insurance, I say "why yes I do" (and I do, actually). Do I have to show something? A card? A contract? What? Last time I was in UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Italy - 'never asked any questions or required to show anything along these lines, 'though that was a few years ago.

Far more likely I think that Thailand, if it ever does impose such fees, will do so either as an add-on to your ticket fees, or for visa applicants only as an add-on to those fees. In either/any case, I doubt it will actually buy any medical care for travelers and except for a publicity photo's worth or two, will just end up money in some officials' pockets.

But do-gooders never get that part, and just love making sure everybody is being shaken down by government. Very good time for them to be alive, eh?

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Yeah, i would really like to know of such a hospital! Might come in handy seen as how i haven't got round to getting insurance!

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

I too, think it is an excellent idea. Travel insurance policies are dirt cheap for tourists. Many are only US $50.00 for 30 days of coverage through am International carrier.

Try getting one for that price when you are over 60. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

I have funeral insurance amounting to approx Bht240,000. but am wondering what the cost of a temple burning is here, however my mate tells me,that should be enough to do it a couple of times and still put on a piss up for the boys...................Anybody got any idea ?

Just asked the maid. She said it is up to the family how much to give. Of course this is rural Isaan, don't know about the rest of the country.

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

I too, think it is an excellent idea. Travel insurance policies are dirt cheap for tourists. Many are only US $50.00 for 30 days of coverage through am International carrier.

Try getting one for that price when you are over 60. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

And do some online research into the satisfaction rates and complaints with many of those insurors, not to mention the exclusions in the fine print (or even in the plain print) for those $50 policies... There must be a few good ones I guess, but it's kind of a racket.

Edited by hawker9000

too many quotes on a previous post so a new one here regarding driving on the right side of the road...

I did a visa run to Burma 3 weeks ago, and I noticed cars switching from the normal left of the road and driving on the right.

Maybe there could be a forum site, detailing what to watch for in the neighbouring countries. A while back some farangs got a fine in Cambodia or Laos for driving their motor cycle with the lights ON. Normally lights on is compulsory in most ASEAN countries.

• 2 weeks later...

As I predicted from the start: this ain't gonna happen.

Barry Kenyon, a former British embassy officer with substantial immigration-related experience, said “I doubt whether the proposal will be adopted as it stands. It could so easily turn into a scam that forces foreign visitors to purchase health insurance at travel agencies and airports, only to discover that they aren’t covered when a significant problem arises. That would create a lot of negative publicity for Thai tourism when there’s plenty around anyway.”

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/compulsory-insurance-under-fire/

Just asked the maid. She said it is up to the family how much to give. Of course this is rural Isaan, don't know about the rest of the country.

10,000 for funeral--10,000 for food and drink(alcohol) happy send off, Monk not sure. and pay off bib so you can gamble for 3 days..... for the coffin--2000 -up plywood to rosewood.

Can a traveller sign up for the 30 baht scheme?

Nyet.

giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Of course, the fact that the absolute vast majority of foreigners do pay, in which case, I would presume that the amount paid, well outweighs the amount not paid, in which case, not having these guys insured presumably works out at a net profit for the hospital.

• Like 1

Can a traveller sign up for the 30 baht scheme?

Nyet.

giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Of course, the fact that the absolute vast majority of foreigners do pay, in which case, I would presume that the amount paid, well outweighs the amount not paid, in which case, not having these guys insured presumably works out at a net profit for the hospital.

I attended city hospital for 3 months, consult with the doctor bill presented 1 month in advance. So in the 3 months paid 12,000 bht for physio.

this was at a public hospital, I go there so the health service gets money (otherwise it goes to private).

was treated by the top physio, who after his hours worked at a posh private hospital.

I paid extra for morphine and relax style tablets, as I had a serious injury. Adding to that PLEASE make me get medical insurance here, I,m 71.

Usual problem--they tell you what is NOT paid, but reluctant to tell you how much they receive. would love to know -example last years figures, on income (farrangs) and hospital losses through non payment.

Yesterday I came upon this article: Why is Thailand Failing to Lure Wealthy Expats in Greater Numbers? All very true written yet not really suprising.

The governmental nonsense and incapability will never end, even reaching the levels of insanity.

That is one devastating article, "the greedy Whorehouse of Asia." Ouch. The guy was scheduled to stay for a month but bailed out after four days!

Usual problem--they tell you what is NOT paid, but reluctant to tell you how much they receive. would love to know -example last years figures, on income (farrangs) and hospital losses through non payment.

Precisely. This is not a zero sum game.

Just wait. If they go the insurance route, the foreign insurers will open a small office in country and start scrutinising the bills. Then the fun will really start.

"They charged how much for a plaster cast and 50 paracetamol?????". They prescribed you what for a fungal infection?????

Edited by Thai at Heart

• 3 weeks later...

What do you do if over 64 like this one

nnual Silver Adult aged 18-64 W-Wide excl. USA/Can/Carib - view details
 Passenger is aged 18-64 years Inclusive on the date of departure.
 All countries worldwide excluding the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean.
 Includes 17 days of winter sports cover.
 Maximum duration is 31 days, Maximum 125 days to be taken during life of policy.
 Insurance covers Bungee Jump*, Camel Riding, Canoeing, Golf, Hiking/Treking*, Parascending*, Safari, Scuba Diving*, Snorkelling, Water Skiing, White/Black Water Rafting* (* restrictions apply see Terms & Conditions for full details)
£55.00

o
Annual Silver Family (Max age 64) W-Wide ex US/Can/Carib - view details
 A Couple and any number of their dependent children/infants under 18 years travelling on the same itinerary.
 All countries worldwide excluding the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean
 Maximum duration is 31 days, Maximum 125 days to be taken during life of policy.
 Insurance covers Bungee Jump*, Camel Riding, Canoeing, Golf, Hiking/Treking*, Parascending*, Safari, Scuba Diving*, Snorkelling, Water Skiing, White/Black Water Rafting* (* restrictions apply see Terms & Conditions for full details)

What do you do if over 64 like this one

nnual Silver Adult aged 18-64 W-Wide excl. USA/Can/Carib - view details

 All countries worldwide excluding the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean.

£55.00

o

Annual Silver Family (Max age 64) W-Wide ex US/Can/Carib - view details

 A Couple and any number of their dependent children/infants under 18 years travelling on the same itinerary.

 All countries worldwide excluding the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean

O.K. Thailand, I live here make me take out A1 insurance, I will be happy-quote me how much. 72years old.