Stick Your Calculators

Neeranam

This morning went to the local IT store to buy a computer thingy.

When asking the price, the woman took out her calculator and typed in a few numbers and stuck it in my face. I asked about another thing and asked her just to tell me and forget about the calculator. She insisted on using it. She wasn't mute, by the way. I walked on to the next shop in disgust.

I wonder if they only do this to foreigners?

Before I have taken the calculator and held it behind my back, carrying on the converstaion.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell them in Thai that I can't read it because I haven't got my glasses (which is true). Forces them to try and tell you in English, or if they can't and assume you understand Thai, they'll give it to you in Thai.

Only once has somebody written it down in huge numbers on a piece of paper. And once the person grabbed a bigger calculator with a bigger display.....ya gotta laugh! whistling.gif

• Like 2

Since when has the use of a calculator been considered offensive? You walked away over a calculator in "Disgust"? *** is wrong with you?

Did it ever cross your mind that the person using the calculator might be using it in order to be crystal clear on the price thus avoiding confusion or embarrassment later on, verbal communication with a foreigner often opens the to door to confusion or misunderstandings over price which are easily avoided with this method. - Well they were until you walked into the shop and confused the hell outta them by getting all arsey over a flippin calculator. <deleted>.

I think its great fun I call it Pass the calculator.

• Like 1

But whats the problem, why get so frustrated? cant she just use the calculator to show you the price. Then theres no confusion between you and it gives you the oppurtunity to write a cheaper price that you both understand. Just go with the flow Neerenam, dont let something like that stress you out.

• Like 1

"Any other ideas?"

Was the OP actually planning buying his 'computer thingy' or was he just bored?

The reason I ask, I see that he's in the habit of hiding calculators when pissing about with other sales people in other shops.

Some farangs get upset at double pricing, wrong-way drivers and the like, while others get wound up at old guys with young girls and the sin sodt debate.

I guess the OP just needed his calculator fix.

• Like 1

What happens when you're buying a calculator?

They show you the price on an abacus.

Ref the op ..Cannot see the problem with people showing you unambiguously what they want you to pay. If you do not like the price just ask for the calculator and enter your offer price.

Since when has the use of a calculator been considered offensive? You walked away over a calculator in "Disgust"? *** is wrong with you?

Did it ever cross your mind that the person using the calculator might be using it in order to be crystal clear on the price thus avoiding confusion or embarrassment later on, verbal communication with a foreigner often opens the to door to confusion or misunderstandings over price which are easily avoided with this method. - Well they were until you walked into the shop and confused the hell outta them by getting all arsey over a flippin calculator. <snip>

No need for insults.

I think I got ** off as the woman probably thought I was some stupid farang that was linguistically challenged. Such foreigners who use the calculator and can't speak probably will more than likely pay silly prices. Especially, as I explained the thing I wanted in "perfect" Thai.

I don't like being put into the same category as the guy with the stupid grin on his face passing a calculator back and fore.

Some, like you may be quite happy to be always considered a tourist but I try my best to get these notions from many Thai that some of us can actually integrate into this society.

You're probably quite happy when you go to a restaurant with your Thai wife and the waitress gives her the menu every time?

Do you find it alright when you you are ignored by a Thai when with another Thai as they think you are a dumb farang?

• Like 2

Did it ever cross your mind that the person using the calculator might be using it in order to be crystal clear on the price thus avoiding confusion or embarrassment later on, verbal communication with a foreigner often opens the to door to confusion or misunderstandings over price which are easily avoided with this method. - Well they were until you walked into the shop and confused the hell outta them by getting all arsey over a flippin calculator. <snip>

C'mon, this is Thai Visa. You can be more abusive than that.

Not able to converse in "perfect" Thai = STUPID FALANG? King of strong, wouldn't ya say?

"I think I got *** off as the woman probably thought I was some stupid farang that was linguistically challenged. Such foreigners who use the calculator and can't speak probably will more than likely pay silly prices. Especially, as I explained the thing I wanted in "perfect" Thai.

I don't like being put into the same category as the guy with the stupid grin on his face passing a calculator back and fore.

Some, like you may be quite happy to be always considered a tourist but I try my best to get these notions from many Thai that some of us can actually integrate into this society.

You're probably quite happy when you go to a restaurant with your Thai wife and the waitress gives her the menu every time?

Do you find it alright when you you are ignored by a Thai when with another Thai as they think you are a dumb farang?"

• Like 1

No need for insults.

I think I got *** off as the woman probably thought I was some stupid farang that was linguistically challenged. Such foreigners who use the calculator and can't speak probably will more than likely pay silly prices. Especially, as I explained the thing I wanted in "perfect" Thai.

Do you find it alright when you you are ignored by a Thai when with another Thai as they think you are a dumb farang?

I can't believe that you get upset just because shop assistants don't differentiate you from other foreigners on the grounds of your cunning linguistic ability.

Personally, I get offended by bad language, even in abbreviations, but I wouldn't start a whinging post about it.

SC

• Like 1

Neeranam, my first reply isn't meant as an insult, I was merely expressing my opinion of the behavior depicted in the OP. Hopefully an adequate supply of tissues is available. As for the little counter attack and the story about restaurants etc, I'll give that all the attention it deserves here in brackets ( rolleyes.gif )

Edited by Pomthai

Reminds me of a time i was negotiating a price for a hotel room with the receptionist in Phuket.

She spoke English well, then suddenly during mid conversation she just blatently ignored me and continued the conversation in Thai with the wife.

I just walked out and left them to it, needless to say we didn't stay there.

This is Thailand.

Chilling out and going with the flow is the only way forward even though you have to bite your tongue at times.

CCC

• Like 1

I guess it is to avoid misunderstandings

I learned the Thai numbers to avoid bothering about calculators, then I found out that I could not understand what the person trying to sell me something was saying, so I have to ask them now to use the calculator.

Amazing how some can learn to speak "perfect Thai" but haven't learned anything about Thai people or mai bphen lie.......

I speak perfect English, and still I struggle to make myself understood, kenwhitameenanat, Jimmy?

That's why, when I'm dealing with customers, I insist on a written proposal

SC

Amazing how some can learn to speak "perfect Thai" but haven't learned anything about Thai people or mai bphen lie.......

I speak perfect English, and still I struggle to make myself understood, kenwhitameenanat, Jimmy?

That's why, when I'm dealing with customers, I insist on a written proposal

SC

That's not very romantic.

I've been shown the calculator dozens of times in LOS and find it clears up any confusion. I don't talk Thai and they don't talk English.

It cuts through the crap and glad we all understand the universal language of money.

That's the point. Neeranam is upset because he's gone native, and the staff don't give him face for his perfect Thai. Face is very important for chaps who've gone bush

SC

• Like 1

C'mon, this is Thai Visa. You can be more abusive than that.

No, lets have a bit of decorum.

I have removed a few inappropriate remarks from various posts and quoted replies.

Please refrain from using inappropriate language on the forum thanks. Keep it civil and mature, cheers.

Carry on.