Thai PM shuffles pack and takes key defence post

Lite Beer

Paveena Hongsakul, a women's and children's rights advocate, is the new Minister of Social Development and Human Security.Thailand has a serious problem with human trafficking and domestic violence. Now there is a minister that is considered to be one of the strongest advocates in the country and that has the confidence of the organizations both domestic and international that are involved.

Was wondering Gerry if you could tell me where this paragon of womans and childrens rights was on the issue of the 10yr old girl that recently gave birth or the little girl who was held as a slave and tortured not so long ago.

Never saw anything in the news from her then.

She's a self serving politician so pick the high profile issues and look good, don't touch anything not in the news or which might backfire.

I used to walk around the floor my office was on always carrying a file, everyone thought I was working.

So now we all know you're a skiver.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paveena Hongsakul, a women's and children's rights advocate, is the new Minister of Social Development and Human Security.Thailand has a serious problem with human trafficking and domestic violence. Now there is a minister that is considered to be one of the strongest advocates in the country and that has the confidence of the organizations both domestic and international that are involved.

Was wondering Gerry if you could tell me where this paragon of womans and childrens rights was on the issue of the 10yr old girl that recently gave birth or the little girl who was held as a slave and tortured not so long ago.

She's a self serving politician so pick the high profile issues and look good, don't touch anything not in the news or which might backfire.

I used to walk around the floor my office was on always carrying a file, everyone thought I was working.

Please find yourself a place in the remedial class, I wrote " used to " which is past tense and now I am retired.

Please repeat after me " was a skiver ".

• Like 1

There is no pleasing the negative noddies of the foreign community is there? 18 ministers were changed including many who had drawn the criticism of TVFers. Chalerm is moved aside, which is what they wanted, and the only response is one of negativity.

A thread on education doesn't go by without comments that educational policy does not reflect Thailand needs. Well now there's an education minister who has some knowledge. Chaturon Chaisaeng, the education minister, has past experience in developing educational policy in response to national economic requirements.

Is it so difficult to recognize that the changes are a positive change?

As Chaturon Chaisaeng was the education minister back in 2006, doesn't that make him partially responsible for the poor state of Thai education?

I don't really see how that can be a positive change.

Please find yourself a place in the remedial class, I wrote " used to " which is past tense and now I am retired.

Please repeat after me " was a skiver ".

Once a skiver always a skiver I'm afraid and I speak from experience. You say you're retired but I bet sometimes you just can't be bothered with all that retirement crap and you sneak off and do a bit of work. smile.png

• Like 1

Can a Prime Minister be a Defence minister at the same time? a serious question???

Does that also mean she gets double the salary pack, double the benefits and double of everything else?

The PM will get double the aggravation and double the infantile innuendo.

It is not uncommon in a parliamentary democracy to have ministers including the PM to take on multiple cabinet responsibilities.

And no, the pay and benefits are not doubled.

How do you know that the pay and benefits are not doubled in every instance where this happens in a parliamentary democracy? Please post links to where you verifed your assertive statement.

However, the current political regime in Thailand cannot really be compared to other parliamentary democracies can it? Unless you mean Singapore, Cambodia or Zimbabwe type of PD.

There is no pleasing the negative noddies of the foreign community is there? 18 ministers were changed including many who had drawn the criticism of TVFers. Chalerm is moved aside, which is what they wanted, and the only response is one of negativity.

A thread on education doesn't go by without comments that educational policy does not reflect Thailand needs. Well now there's an education minister who has some knowledge. Chaturon Chaisaeng, the education minister, has past experience in developing educational policy in response to national economic requirements.

Is it so difficult to recognize that the changes are a positive change?

As Chaturon Chaisaeng was the education minister back in 2006, doesn't that make him partially responsible for the poor state of Thai education?

I don't really see how that can be a positive change.

The PM has made the changes based on suitability not ability. These changes will only be positive if the incumbents are effective and do work together to rid Thailand of the blight of corruption.

Considering that many have just returned from a 5 year ban due to their previous corrupt activities, and are controlled by a fugitive convicted criminal who had to be ousted by the military from illegally retaining office, and faces other outstanding charges should he ever return,; what chance do you think there is?

If GK thinks this constant shuffling, jobs for the boys, style of government is positive, perhaps he could tell us about the successful previous track records of all the new ministers? (Before bans of course).

• Like 1

Can a Prime Minister be a Defence minister at the same time? a serious question???

Does that also mean she gets double the salary pack, double the benefits and double of everything else?

It is not uncommon in a parliamentary democracy to have ministers including the PM to take on multiple cabinet responsibilities.

I know it's happened in Thailand before but I'll have to take your word on it not being uncommon in a parliamentary democracy.

I would have thought it possible that she would be entitled to the salary of a defence minister although I don't know for sure. It would be unlikely to be double though.

Why take his word on it? Let him show how often and in which democracies the PM has appointed his or herself also Defence Minister. He makes the comment very assertivley so must have the research to hand?

Regarding gKid's remarks on new Minister of Social Development and Human Security Pavena Hongsakul, this veteran politician and women's rights activist was Minister for Tourism when in 1999 she took umbrage at an Esquire article. Unclear if it was because of "Young British men go in their thousands to get what they cant get at home endless sex with as many beautiful women as they can manage." or "Hongsakul claimed to have seen no evidence of a flourishing sex industry on a recent visit to Pattaya, but the Posts editors knew better: On the same page of the Aug. 12 edition they published a captioned photo of the U.S. aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk, which had just dropped anchor off Pattaya so the boys might enjoy a little wholesome R&R in the exotic East."

The lady was quoted as saying "anyone who tries to sabotage our country by writing such an article will be blacklisted."

http://www.unc.edu/~pcvelich/bangkok/advert.htm

It is to be hoped that she's less blinded by image and more open, this new old Minister and 2004 BKK governor candidate.

BTW the foundation can be found here http://www.pavenafoundation.or.th/

Not a fan of free speech, reality or the truth then? Obviously very suitable and a good cabinett fit.

But, GK says its a positive change ????

BBC World News is covering the Yingluck story as a headline. It's pointed out that she's the first woman to become defence minister and will give her " control over the military that ousted her brother. "

It was also pointed out that the army is due a major re-shuffle in October but nothing more was said.

For those of us here the latter aspect means will she interefere and put or try to put loyalists in the top jobs etc ?

No surer way to anger the military than interfering in the old boys club of promotions and postings.

Deja vu?

That's quite a point. Isn't there something about failing to learn from history's mistakes and being doomed to repeat them.

How do you know that the pay and benefits are not doubled in every instance where this happens in a parliamentary democracy? Please post links to where you verifed your assertive statement.

However, the current political regime in Thailand cannot really be compared to other parliamentary democracies can it? Unless you mean Singapore, Cambodia or Zimbabwe type of PD.

Haha!...... like a cabinet minister's salary has any bearing on how much they actually pocket from being appointed to the position.