Russia's anti-gay laws have teeth -- gay priders assaulted

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't agree about what? You are pro Putin? You approve of the oppression of gays in Russia? Please stick with the actual topic instead of trying to make this about your dislike of what you incorrectly perceive as my agenda.

Okie dokie, will do my best going forward. I should have known better then to feed this type of thread.

Edited by ToddWeston

This thread is about the Anti-gay laws in Russia. There are at least two other threads in this sub-forum about Russia.

There is little doubt that Sochi is the flashpoint for a lot of the focus on Russia. This is, however, the gay forum and discussion of the situation for gays in Russia is the topic.

OK, I'm not getting it: Why are you posting it here?

Seriously?

Are you pulling my chain?

Maybe watch it again ...

Watched it again. So they are talking forebears (?) and fraternity, sounds very male-dominated to me. They also mention the motherland often, which in German would be the fatherland.

So, what is your point?

Edited by onthemoon

OK, I'm not getting it: Why are you posting it here?

It does tie in with all the other anti-Russian comments on this thread, luckily as a Canuck I never saw Russia as an enemy, only saw them as dam_n good hockey players smile.png

Aside from the politics the games are a few days away, can't wait & I'll be glued to the TV waiting for Golds.

The Russian national anthem ties in with anti-Russian comments? I must certainly be missing something.

I assume basic comprehension of OBVIOUS things. I guess that was silly. Sorry.

The first video was the Russia national anthem performed in Sweden with GLBT diversity themes as a message to Russia to stop hating of GLBT people.

Then there was a complaint that there was no translation.

I thought it was clear it was the Russian national anthem and no there is no translation in the first video from SWEDEN.

In response to the no translation complaint, I supplied another video (the SECOND one) which was the same Russian national anthem WITH a translation into English.

The words of the anthem were NEVER the point. But I still provided the translation as requested.

Only the COUNTRY of the anthem was really relevant.

Anthems in general tend to be nationalistic and/or religious claptrap.

The ACTUAL POINT is clear in the FIRST video ... no translation needed I think by anyone who just WATCHES it, and can see the two points:

Russian National Anthem

GLBT themes

Message of tolerance written in ENGLISH in the video as well.

Any more questions? I really hope not. Because I think it is weird in the first place that the theme of the first video wasn't OBVIOUS to all. In some ways, I find it hard to believe.

Edited by Jingthing

Being gay in Putin's Russia -- it's not the best of times.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201402/being-gay-in-russia?currentPage=1

She knows some English, but she speaks mostly in Russian. Explaining her view of Russia's rising homophobia, she dictates to Zhenya: "Putin needs external enemies and internal enemies. The external enemies are the U.S. and Europe. Internal enemies, they had to think about. The ethnic topic is dangerous. Two wars in the Caucasus, a third one, nobody knows how it would end. Jews? After Hitler, it's not kosher. We—" she waves a hand at herself and Zhenya—"are the ideal. We are everywhere. We don't look different, but we are." She inhales. She's one of those smokers who hold your eyes when they're smoking. Cigarettes disappear into her lungs. She says, in English: "It's our turn. Just our turn." She exhales. She has a pleasant smile.
Edited by Jingthing

Russia's famous Pussy Riot (recently released from prison) visits the Colbert Report for an amazing interview.

Gay rights topics related to Putin are mentioned.

Remember Colbert is a SATIRICAL political show and Colbert plays a character. Not to be taken literally!
Though in this classic show, he seems to sometimes be having a hard time staying in character.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432806/february-04-2014/pussy-riot-pt--1

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432807/february-04-2014/pussy-riot-pt--2

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432808/february-04-2014/sign-off---pussy-riot----bringing-human-rights-back-home-

Edited by Jingthing

For those that are able to watch Al Jazeera they are running a 10 minute news update on the Olympics and the gay scene in Sochi & Russia in general, very enlightening.

Not at all what we're being told, catch it if you can.

I searched the site and am unable to find the clip, it's been on twice today and was refreshing to hear from Gay Russians and their take on President Putin.

Edited by ToddWeston

From gayromeo,

Click it and see it! Very enlightening indeed.

OUR RUSSIAN ROMEOS SPEAK OUT

post-37101-0-99050700-1391673432_thumb.p

The Russian government adopted an Anti-Gay Propaganda Law on the 9th of June, 2013. This caused enormous outrage in the LGBT-community. Even a boycott of the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi was up for discussion.

It was with deepening concern that we at PlanetRomeo witnessed these events. Here in our office in Amsterdam it’s not easy to see what exactly is going on, but we do have the means to give our Russian Romeos a voice to the rest of the world. That’s why we crafted a short survey in which we asked ourRussian Romeos about their current situation, their living conditions and their views on this. Who else can give us better insight than the gay community IN Russia, right?

The response exceeded our expectations: within 2 weeks we received 1,526 completed surveys. We hope the results will give you some insight in how the Russian gay community really feels.

post-37101-0-19435700-1391673568_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing

For those that are able to watch Al Jazeera they are running a 10 minute news update on the Olympics and the gay scene in Sochi & Russia in general, very enlightening.

Not at all what we're being told, catch it if you can.

I searched the site and am unable to find the clip, it's been on twice today and was refreshing to hear from Gay Russians and their take on President Putin.

Mr. Todd.

I can't read minds. Please if you can, tell us more explicitly what you are trying to to say in that post.

Russia's famous Pussy Riot (recently released from prison) visits the Colbert Report for an amazing interview.

Gay rights topics related to Putin are mentioned.

Remember Colbert is a SATIRICAL political show and Colbert plays a character. Not to be taken literally!

Though in this classic show, he seems to sometimes be having a hard time staying in character.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432806/february-04-2014/pussy-riot-pt--1

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432807/february-04-2014/pussy-riot-pt--2

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432808/february-04-2014/sign-off---pussy-riot----bringing-human-rights-back-home-

Buffering... I don't usually have this with streaming videos. But I watched all three videos you linked.

Great! I like The Colber Report anyway, and the Pussy Riot girls were just hilarious! Excellent show.

Edited by onthemoon

Google makes a statement:

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/06/olympic-google-doodle-takes-aim-at-russian-anti-gay-law/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29

I have a small problem with this focus. The issue in Russia isn't about Russia making the Olympics deny the participation of the very few OUT gay athletes in the games. They aren't doing that, and they couldn't do that. The issue is the entire breadth of anti-gay oppression in Russia, where Sochi is seen as a possible opportunity to focus global attention and pressure on that.

Edited by Jingthing

Just in time for Sochi, English Channel 4 releases a documentary about violence against gays in Putin's Russia.

Rather than post the video here, I suggest searching this at youtube.

Dispatches - Hunted (Documentary about homophobia in Russia)

The reason -- content too graphic for direct posting here.

More about the doc:

Investigative journalist, Liz Mackean, who made the film said: "We filmed these groups with their knowledge, and what I found shocking afterwards was that only a few asked to have their faces disguised.

"They all believe they are doing the right thing.

"Occupy Paedophilia has groups in more than 30 cities. They operate with impunity and under the cover of the remarks [Vladimir] Putin has made suggesting that children are at risk from homosexuals."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/02/violence-against-gays-in-russia_n_4712741.html

I've seen it. It's vile. The problem is that a large proportion of the population of Russia think the same way and it's going to take more than a few rainbow flags to turn that ship around.

Yes, I totally agree.

This is the message from gay Russians. They WANT international pressure on Putin. There should be MORE. It's not just the attitudes but the support the Putin thugocracy has given to such attitudes which has greatly escalated the actual VIOLENCE against gays there.

post-37101-0-40474300-1391788014_thumb.p

Edited by Jingthing

Google makes a statement:

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/06/olympic-google-doodle-takes-aim-at-russian-anti-gay-law/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29

I have a small problem with this focus. The issue in Russia isn't about Russia making the Olympics deny the participation of the very few OUT gay athletes in the games. They aren't doing that, and they couldn't do that. The issue is the entire breadth of anti-gay oppression in Russia, where Sochi is seen as a possible opportunity to focus global attention and pressure on that.

I noticed that they mention "the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community". I think it used to be GLBT. Are we being overly politically-correct?

Part 2, From Russia With Love (But No Gay Stuff)

Is self avowed "man's man" Buddy Cole really going to Russia? Maybe not. But it's still funny!

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/433014/february-11-2014/sport-report---from-russia-with-love--but-no-gay-stuff----u-s--speedskating-team

OK, so Buddy Cole is a character played by Canadian comedian Scott Thompson.

But is he REALLY going to go to Russia or not?!?

I'm not clear on that.

Comedian Stephen Colbert, who infamously attended the Vancouver Winter Olympics in 2010, will not be visiting the Russian Games in Sochi. In his place he has sent the Canadian comedian Scott Thompson, who will file reports in character as the unambiguously gay Buddy Cole, a fictional role from Thompson’s days with the comedic troupe The Kids in the Hall.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/kids-in-the-halls-buddy-cole-to-cover-sochi-for-the-colbert-report/article16810551/

Edited by Jingthing