Deadline for retirement visa extension - by when?

I have to renew my non-immigrant 'O' visa soon (for retirement purposes), something I've done many times, but not until now have I wondered by when do I have to have it done. My existing visa expires on July 7th. Am I absolutely required to renew it before this date, or is there any sort of grace period thereafter? (I know, I should already know, but the memory ain't what it used to be...) whistling.gif

No grace period AFAIK - although the experts will doubtless come on to confirm or otherwise. Looks like you'd better get your skates on, then, particularly if you use the Embassy letter method for proving your income.

Since you can apply for annual extensions up to 30 days before the existing one expires, why don't you set your mobile to sound a loud alarm a month before the expiry date this time next year to remind you then?

• Like 1

Yes, this time, I will! Just took care of that, hehe.

No grace period AFAIK - although the experts will doubtless come on to confirm or otherwise. Looks like you'd better get your skates on, then, particularly if you use the Embassy letter method for proving your income.

Since you can apply for annual extensions up to 30 days before the existing one expires, why don't you set your mobile to sound a loud alarm a month before the expiry date this time next year to remind you then?

Since July 7 is a Sunday, your only grace period is one day since you can apply on Monday with no overstay. It's best to do it before te date in case you don't have everything that they require. The year is added to your present permission to stay so you don't loose any days if you do it early. Most offices allow 30 days early , but some allow 60.

Since July 7 is a Sunday, your only grace period is one day since you can apply on Monday with no overstay. It's best to do it before te date in case you don't have everything that they require. The year is added to your present permission to stay so you don't loose any days if you do it early. Most offices allow 30 days early , but some allow 60.

That last piece of information (no downside to doing it early) is very helpful, thanks much for that.

Interesting about some allowing 60. I thought that was only Jomtien and the latest hazy information I have about Jomtien is that they're not allowing that anymore. Back to 30. Though I am not certain.

Interesting about some allowing 60. I thought that was only Jomtien and the latest hazy information I have about Jomtien is that they're not allowing that anymore. Back to 30. Though I am not certain.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's back to 30 days at Jomtien now.

Presumably the OP means he's applying for another extension of stay and not renewing a visa.

• Like 1

If you leave it to the deadline, i.e. the expiry day of your visa and then are asked to provide more info that might take sometime to get then your on overstay. You may be lucky to ask to pay the overstay when you return to the office (sometimes allowed) and then get the visa or you may be asked to leave the country and return on some other visa e.g. VOA TR60 or Non O.. You can renew your Non O Ret Visa up to one month before which gives you some breathing space. A new edict too issued here in Phuket Immigration is that Proof of Income can be up to six months old now. For some nationalities e.g. USA, Australia, et al, just a letter of confirmation or Stat Dec with your own written details used to be acceptable but not now. The letter or Stat Dec must also be attached to proof of the source of your funds wherever they may be located. This is only for people wishing to retire on monthly Income and not money in the bank. Money in the bank must be accompanied by a Bank letter no more than 7 days old plus all copies of you bank book pages. I hope this helps.

Wayned, I'm currently planning to go in on Friday, with Monday the 8th as a backup day, but I'd like to be absolutely certain of this grace period. Can I ask how sure you are of this?