Chevrolet Spin - Please Share Your Comments

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bumping an older topic as I just saw a promotion for the Spin @ 0% financing and that sounds enticing to me, but what exactly does 0% financing mean in LOS?? If I choose to pay it off early, are there any penalties??

And ?? #2............Wife tells me that better to wait until 2014, as prices will drop................if true, will the 0% end??

And ?? #3............Any satisfied users of the Spin yet??

And ?? #4............Any firm numbers on fuel economy yet??

0% is actually just 0% - no strings attached - the factory has paid a pre-negotiated an interest amount to the finance company when you buy, so no-ones actually losing money here (except the factory, but we all know it's built into the price). Mitsubishi have been doing 0% as special campaigns for over 3 years now, and in the past year with the glut, nearly all the mainstream Thai manufacturers are now doing it (even Toyota). No penalties for early payout, except for maybe some odd looks by the counter staff when doing that :)

There's no indication that sticker prices are heading downwards - but you can expect aggressive campaigns to continue for at least the next year. Dropping prices alienates your existing customer base, which is bad for building brand loyalty - but I concede that doesn't stop Ford from doing it ;)

As for the Spin, *shrug*, have never even kicked it's tires I'm afraid.

Glued and taped together in Indonesia...nuff said.

So, are Indonesian builds that much lower quality than Thai builds??

I think that it depends on what market they are exporting to that determines build quality as my Chev Colorado was built in Thailand for export to Australia and had to come up to their safety standards FWIW.

OK, since the Spin is not too popular with thaivisa users, then what else is there with the following ............

0% interest, 15 inch wheels, decent size [not a little tin can like the Avanza], priced decently, and a few other details??

What I want to do is downsize from my 4door Colorado but still have a little steel around me and be good for both city and hiway driving. Any suggestions??

Glued and taped together in Indonesia...nuff said.

Cultural imperialism at it's best!

Anyone who has driven in Indonesia would know that if a vehicle can survive, Indonesia and on Indonesian roads, mostly rattle free, will know that there is nothing wrong with them at all. You wouldn't take a C-class or a BMW 5 series across Sumatra. Well, OK if it didn't belong to me!

• Like 1

Test drove the Spin today and was quite impressed with the build, comfort, ride, maneuverability and basic amenities, altho It did feel like the little 1.5litr motor was working a bit hard, but I am coming from a 3litr comonrail. It did keep up with the superhiway traffic and the test was a bit short for the 6speed trans. What sells me [almost] is the 0% financing and the 3 yr warantee. What will sell me is how much they offer me on my Colorado trade in later in the week.

Test drove the Spin today and was quite impressed with the build, comfort, ride, maneuverability and basic amenities, altho It did feel like the little 1.5litr motor was working a bit hard, but I am coming from a 3litr comonrail. It did keep up with the superhiway traffic and the test was a bit short for the 6speed trans. What sells me [almost] is the 0% financing and the 3 yr warantee. What will sell me is how much they offer me on my Colorado trade in later in the week.

If 0% finance is the major drawcard, you might want to also have a look at these, also all offered with 0% finance ATM:

Chev:

Colorado, Sonic - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Cruze - 15% down, 0% over 60 months

Trailblazer - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

Ford:

Everest - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Fiesta - 20% down, 0% over 72 months

Focus 1.6L - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

Honda:

City, City CNG, Brio, and Jazz Hybrid - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Civic, Civic Hybrid - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

Hyundai:

Elantra - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Tuscon - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

KIA:

All models - 25% down, 0% over 84 months

Mazda:

BT50 - 25% down, 0% over 36 months

Mazda3 - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

Mitsubishi:

Mirage - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Pajero Sport - 25% down, 0% over 60 months

Nissan:

X-Trail - 25% down, 0% over 48 months

Ssangyong:

All models - 25% down, 0% over 36 months

As for your colorado trade-in, assuming it 2006 (you say 7 years old) and it's a 4-door, so as a guide based on good condition for age, and normal mileage (20,000KM/yr):

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Edited by IMHO

If 0% finance is the major drawcard, you might want to also have a look at these, also all offered with 0% finance ATM:

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

As for your colorado trade-in, assuming it 2006 (you say 7 years old) and it's a 4-door, so as a guide based on good condition for age, and normal mileage (20,000KM/yr):

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Did you forget Toyota they have also resorted to 0%.

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Yes, they have - but not officially - their advertised rate is 0.99% - you have to negotiate successfully to get 0%.

That said, there certainly could be one or two I forgot, and like Toyota, several brands/models can be negotiated to 0%

Edited by IMHO

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Yes, they have - but not officially - their advertised rate is 0.99% - you have to negotiate successfully to get 0%.

That said, there certainly could be one or two I forgot, and like Toyota, several brands/models can be negotiated to 0%

Also this model Subaru XV look's like a discount plus 0%

post-25918-0-80244700-1386657855_thumb.p

Also this model Subaru XV look's like a discount plus 0%

What that says is you can pay off the downpayment over 10 months with no interest. They also say they give free insurance, and 1 year free gasoline (with limits).

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Thanks for all that info IMHO.......is it the end of the year specials or just slumping vehicle sales?? and great that my Z71 AT is priced so high. Where did you get that info on the price, if I may ask??

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

Thanks for all that info IMHO.......is it the end of the year specials or just slumping vehicle sales?? and great that my Z71 AT is priced so high. Where did you get that info on the price, if I may ask??

There is a massive glut on both new and used car sales.

Valuations for the Colorado are from the blue book, but expect to be offered anywhere from 20-50% less than these as a trade-in - used car lots are having just as bad a time as new car dealerships. In order to get a good price for your truck, you'll need some patience and a good sales rep on your side. The key to getting a good price will be selling it a broker that has found a buyer for it, rather than selling it to a tent where it will add to (already slow moving) inventory.

Chev:

Ford:

Honda:

Hyundai:

KIA:

Mazda:

Mitsubishi:

Nissan:

Ssangyong:

3.0L 4AT Z71 4WD - 390K

3.0L 5MT Z71 4WD = 370K

3.0L 4AT LT1 2WD = 360K

3.0L 5MT LT1 2WD = 340K

There is a massive glut on both new and used car sales.

Valuations for the Colorado are from the blue book, but expect to be offered anywhere from 20-50% less than these as a trade-in - used car lots are having just as bad a time as new car dealerships. In order to get a good price for your truck, you'll need some patience and a good sales rep on your side. The key to getting a good price will be selling it a broker that has found a buyer for it, rather than selling it to a tent where it will add to (already slow moving) inventory.

IMHO, you do mean the Thai 'red book' right?? That is the standard here for used car values and same same as the blue book in the US.

spent the morning with the [idiot] 'shark' sales people at the Chev dealer and we had a dispute regarding the wording of the following promotion for the Spin on the Chev promotions page

• 0% interest rate for 48 months on 25% down payment with 1 year first class insurance.
the above was in the text of a Chevrolet end of the year promotion and I interpreted the first to mean that the 1 year insurance was free. What's your read on that?? normally the first year's insurance is free along with the registration fees.
We compromised by splitting the 1st year's insurance @ 20K+THB by 50%. I thought it was going to be a done deal after I insisted on one more test drive up the nearest hill [Doi Suthep] to check the hill climbing power of the little 1.5l motor. But the only test vehicle was out of town until next week.
Meanwhile, they called in the 'Tent guys' to make me an offer on my Colorado and they tried to lowball me at 200Kthb because the automatics didn't sell good. I passed, but after a few phone calls a friend says that he may be able to get me 300K.
Me thinks that the sharks were trying to rip me in both directions...........

spent the morning with the [idiot] 'shark' sales people at the Chev dealer and we had a dispute regarding the wording of the following promotion for the Spin on the Chev promotions page

• 0% interest rate for 48 months on 25% down payment with 1 year first class insurance.

the above was in the text of a Chevrolet end of the year promotion and I interpreted the first to mean that the 1 year insurance was free. What's your read on that?? normally the first year's insurance is free along with the registration fees.

We compromised by splitting the 1st year's insurance @ 20K+THB by 50%. I thought it was going to be a done deal after I insisted on one more test drive up the nearest hill [Doi Suthep] to check the hill climbing power of the little 1.5l motor. But the only test vehicle was out of town until next week.

Meanwhile, they called in the 'Tent guys' to make me an offer on my Colorado and they tried to lowball me at 200Kthb because the automatics didn't sell good. I passed, but after a few phone calls a friend says that he may be able to get me 300K.

I've always heard its better to do the sale of old vehicle and purchase of the new one as separate transactions at different dealers...otherwise you run into the problem you have where any savings the dealer gives you on the new purchase he will try to make up on buying your used one.

Get your wife/GF/Thai friend to go with you and show this page in Thai:

http://www.chevrolet.co.th/offers-and-finance/current-offers.html

It clearly states "พร้อมประกันภัยชั้นหนึ่ง 1 ปี", literal translation: "together with insurance first class 1 year", common translation: "includes 1 year first class insurance". Definitely no room to interpret it as meaning "or insurance" or "optional insurance" or "50:50 on insurance".

Or, just go see a different dealer that's not trying to scam you. Good luck!

Mods: apologies for Thai script, I did translate it, twice, though :)

Sometimes i wonder, Fords got its crappy Gearboxes and service, Chevy Cars have a load of Spiv Sales Folk, why buy into a problem,?. You aint buying a Lambo,so a troublefree anything else makes more sence. Took 10 mins to buy a Trailblazer, a Posh Truck, same for a Honda, but the <deleted> from the Chevy Car Clowns pissed me off. Just wanted to her the bullshit for myself. They turned White when i spoke inThai.biggrin.png

Sometimes i wonder, Fords got its crappy Gearboxes and service, Chevy Cars have a load of Spiv Sales Folk, why buy into a problem,?. You aint buying a Lambo,so a troublefree anything else makes more sence. Took 10 mins to buy a Trailblazer, a Posh Truck, same for a Honda, but the <deleted> from the Chevy Car Clowns pissed me off. Just wanted to her the bullshit for myself. They turned White when i spoke inThai.biggrin.png

Have you ever considered selling your services? Dark skinned Thai's pay a fortune for whitening products. Caveat is, only works on sneaky, lying cheats I guess.

Have you ever considered selling your services? Dark skinned Thai's pay a fortune for whitening products. Caveat is, only works on sneaky, lying cheats I guess.

Dont know any Red Shirts.biggrin.png

I am aware of some past Ford transmission problems in the US, but are there current problems with Ford transmissions?

If so, which transmission (car models) have been identified as the culprits?

I am aware of some past Ford transmission problems in the US, but are there current problems with Ford transmissions?

Ford have a well documented transmission problem with all models in up country LOS. The problem is prevalent when driven by an elderly European gentleman to a car wash, particularly when a can of Leo is present in the cup holder.

Edited by Jitar

Ford have a well documented transmission problem with all models in up country LOS. The problem is prevalent when driven by an elderly European gentleman to a car wash, particularly when a can of Leo is present in the cup holder.

That isn't exactly what I was looking for facepalm.giflaugh.png .... Phrasing it a little differently:

Are there any records that list instances of mechanical problems attributed to Ford transmissions?

That isn't exactly what I was looking for facepalm.giflaugh.png .... Phrasing it a little differently:

Are there any records that list instances of mechanical problems attributed to Ford transmissions?

I didn't see any record's when I went to the council office hope this answers your question. If you had a Ford I would go and check your self.

Been many Ford Gearbox comments posted here. There are so many trouble free Cars here, all much the same. The Car Wash vote seems to go with Mazdas Cheerful Colours round here,but then to find an Idiot Thai round here you have to bring your own , rarely see Ford or Chevy Cars except those with BKK Plates. Vios/City /Mazda 2/3, are more popular with Leo Drinkers, well they go straight to the Fridge anyway.thumbsup.gif

Been many Ford Gearbox comments posted here. There are so many trouble free Cars here, all much the same. The Car Wash vote seems to go with Mazdas Cheerful Colours round here,but then to find an Idiot Thai round here you have to bring your own , rarely see Ford or Chevy Cars except those with BKK Plates. Vios/City /Mazda 2/3, are more popular with Leo Drinkers, well they go straight to the Fridge anyway.thumbsup.gif

Thanx for pointing me in the right direction.

It's amazing to me that Ford seems to still be encountering (occasional, chronic?) transmission problems in this day and age after the bad times of the late eighties - nineties. facepalm.gif

Besides the Toyota problems you mentioned, have there been repetitive transmission complaints about Chevrolet and/or Isuzu vehicles?

Edited by thailoht

I just stick to Boring Honda And Leofacepalm.gif , can't be bothered looking into the unknown, leave that to the Kids. For Trucks i like Nissan , not loved by the Ladies generally, not poncey enough , they like Blazers n Tunas.. I do like the Blinged Suzuki Swifts ,look a bit Cooper S to Me.biggrin.png .