Minimum age for work permit

Dear all,

Is there a minimum age to do a work permit ? I am 19 yo and would like to work.

I am actually following my dad here in Thailand and I have a non-immigrant O visa, he has a company and a work permit here ...

Thank you very much for your help

The alien labour act doesn't give a minimum age, so a WP should be OK.

There is the legal point that under Thai law you are not an adult, unless married, till the age of 20. So you might need permission from your parent to sign an employment contract. Working for your father should not be a problem, if the company meets the Thai/foreigner ratio.

The alien labour act doesn't give a minimum age, so a WP should be OK.

There is the legal point that under Thai law you are not an adult, unless married, till the age of 20. So you might need permission from your parent to sign an employment contract. Working for your father should not be a problem, if the company meets the Thai/foreigner ratio.

Thank you so much for your answer, I have another question wich is : As I have a non immigrant O visa, should I leave thailand and come back with a non immigrant B to do the work permit ? And what should I bring with me to proceed ?

Regards,

Are you on an extension of stay based on your father or do you have a 90 day entry on a non-O visa? It might make all the difference.

Check with your local immigration office if they will insist on you going to a neighboring country to get a non-B visa.

But first apply for the work permit, either the labour office will issue or they will give you a WP3 form showing you have applied. You will need that anyway for immigration or for to apply for a non-B visa in a neighbouring country.

Thank you for your answer and I have an extension following my dad visa.

So I will need that WP3 form to do the change of my visa to non b and then the work permit .

Can you please provide a good and reputable visa run company based in bangkok ? As I have never done it before.

Is it a one day trip ?

Sent from my Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for your answer and I have an extension following my dad visa.

So I will need that WP3 form to do the change of my visa to non b and then the work permit .

Can you please provide a good and reputable visa run company based in bangkok ? As I have never done it before.

Is it a one day trip ?

Sent from my Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would not start planning a border run yet for a B visa. Wait to see if labor will issue the work permit on the extension you have now and then all you would have to do is change your current extension to an extension based upon working.

If you do have to got out it will depend upon where you go for the visa and that can depend upon where you are living now. Other than in Cambodia (3 to 4 days) the visa is done the next afternoon after you apply in the morning of the previous day.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 1 month later...

Dear, so labor won't let me do a WP on my non-O now.

I think the only way for me is to get out of the country and come back with a non-B.

any recommendations ?

I have a another question, what if I resign or my company fires me ? what will be my statue ? should I leave the country ?

Thank you so much everybody

They should accept application with O and then you could go out for B visa showing WP3 receipt for application. If they won't accept application then you would have to go out for a tourist visa and apply for work permit. Then go for B visa.

If you stopped working before your birthday you could go back to dependent extension. After that you could go to school or get tourist visas.

Allow me to address the elephant in the room here, and its not an attempt to p*ss on the OP's plans, just an observation....typically the intent of the WP is for positions that Thai nationals cannot fill by virture of skills, experience, qualification to be issued a WP, one needs to justify to the DOL the issue of the WP, as the OP is 19 and one assumes lacking in work experience, the DOL may in fact question the justification for issuing a WP. Of course in the case of teaching english it may not matter, but but other positions it may.

agreed with southpeel here they may can reject it on those grounds. If you have a employer already find the accountant, they know often how to do and they posses all the needed paperwork from the company. otherwise get a lawyer to sort things out, if you go through this hassle all yourself it will be an endless procedure with many dissapointments I would suspect.

for a visa run I would recommend Penang at the moment, be there early and theres no one. you will get the visa the next day it's only about an hour flying and a great island. good luck

Soutpeel

I think your comment about teaching English may upset many professional, degree qualified teachers of English who were certainly older than 19 before being let loose on students of any age !

Just an observation whistling.gif

Allow me to re-phrase then..."teaching english"....better ?.....I think you knew what I meant in the first place..tongue.png