The unbelievable - my welcome gift in BKK

I arrived Monday night. This morning Tuesday I went to use a Scottrade MC debit card to Central Lama 9 mall, on the 5th floor. Tried 3-4 ATMs in different banks, none of them would give me the cash. Tried different amounts, nothing. No slip, just "invalid transaction". I ended up using a different debit card.

I checked online tonight, 10,000 bht was recorded as withdrawn from my Scottrade account! After a couple of calls to Scottrade, I started the dispute process. To make matters worse, we don't know which of the 3-4 banks processed the phantom withdrawal. Scottrade only shows location. They claim they can get to the bottom of this after they start the dispute.

From past experience I know that every ATM keeps a log of cash coming in and out and any discrepancy proves the malfunction. If I knew which bank I could go with a Thai friend and ask them to produce the log. Or at the very least throw a brick at their ATM after hours.

Right now I'm out of 10,000 baht, plus a huge bad taste of BKK, as I suspect this only happens to foreign ATM cards.

I don't mind losing 10,000 baht, I don't mind giving 10,000 bht to someone, I don't even mind if someone steals 10,000 bht or equivalent from me....but not from a THAI BANK! Which by all accounts here are a big joke any way. Three years in China, of all places, nothing like this happened.

Any suggestions/ideas as far as anything I can do? On my first day in BKK I lost my appetite of being here, simple as that.

There's nothing wrong with Thai banks. The problem is you for lack of due diligence, and preparation, prior to coming to Thailand. Who, or what is Scottrade? Are they a bank? I've never heard of them. If you've been in China for three years why haven't you got an ATM card with a real bank such as HSBC or Standard and Chartered? Also, if you're using a credit card you should've arranged with Scottrade to make sure there was no security block on the card when being used in Thailand. Many credit cards have this security measure in place. That's why the ATM's were showing "invalid transaction." It's your screw up for lack of preparation prior to arriving here. I've been using SCB for the past 10 years and never had a problem with them in Thailand or in other countries in the region.

• Like 1

I avoid late-night ATM withdrawals like the plague. Plenty of ATMs inside the banks, complete with friendly (OK ..often surly) security guards eyeing off any miscreants lurking around the general vicinity of said ATMs. Even if it means accepting the crap exchange rate at Swampy or a hotel, surely that's acceptable for that first night in town ? I guess its easy to be wise after the fact, but that's what I would have done.

Why anyone would want to lose heaps on exchange rate plus service fee by using a foreign debit/credit card for cash withdrawals in Thailand ATMs, I really cannot understand. Can't you trust yourself to safekeep $1,000 equivalent of Thai baht by changing from your foreign currency before you make the trip? Anyway nothing wrong with Rhai banks nor their ATMs. Been using them for the last 7 years using Kasikorn and SCB cards.

There's nothing wrong with Thai banks. The problem is you for lack of due diligence, and preparation, prior to coming to Thailand. Who, or what is Scottrade? Are they a bank? I've never heard of them. If you've been in China for three years why haven't you got an ATM card with a real bank such as HSBC or Standard and Chartered? Also, if you're using a credit card you should've arranged with Scottrade to make sure there was no security block on the card when being used in Thailand. Many credit cards have this security measure in place. That's why the ATM's were showing "invalid transaction." It's your screw up for lack of preparation prior to arriving here. I've been using SCB for the past 10 years and never had a problem with them in Thailand or in other countries in the region.

Great post, but I have to say my experience with SCB are somewhat different.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I have been using my Visa card all over Southeast Asia now for 12 years never had a problem with any Asian banks, did have a problem with my bank from the states.

It would be wise to use a more recognized Debit/Credit card, it would be sad to have your stay in Thailand to end on such a sour note!

Good Luck.

Cheers:smile.png

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Same thing happened to me as did the OP a few years back while on vacation in Pattaya. Tried 3/4 atm machines and could not get any money. Checked my account online and it showed a transaction had been completed. Lost about same amount from debit card from American bank. Read later on TV about skimming cards at some atms. Now only use at main Thai bank or someplace with workers are present 24 hours a day (7-11, etc.).

Thanks for the input folks, whether constructive or otherwise. I just read that this is an ongoing problem here, someone posted a same story with an AEON ATM just yesterday.

Btw, for those who are not aware, Scottrade is like Schwab, a brokerage plus bank account.

Anyway, will see how my bank handles it.

might be premature to freak. i know sometimes i make a withdrawal and later check online

to see ive been double debited, usually after 48hrs acct goes back to correct balance. but

like other guy said, only use atms attached to banks and preferably inside.fraud will occur.

Edited by cali4995
  • Like 2

I really think it's just an unfortunate coincidence, not any kind of intentional theft or fraud.

Never had any problem withdrawing money in over two years living in bkk, so my suggestion is to treat this as an accident, and get on with your life.

I've had the exact same thing happen with my E*Trade card. I reported it to E*Trade, and after checking my account online a few days later I noticed that they resolved the issue and credited my account. Let us know if that happens here.

Worst thread title ever. Surely we can do better than this folks .....

why because you didn't like it , maybe it was important to him , oh that's right you don't live here do you ...

• Like 1

I really think it's just an unfortunate coincidence, not any kind of intentional theft or fraud.

Never had any problem withdrawing money in over two years living in bkk, so my suggestion is to treat this as an accident, and get on with your life.

I'm not buying that. This forum is littered with a history of problems using ATMs in Thailand.

Life and luck is just a continuous flipping of the coin of probability - chance favors the prepared - sort of like having two headed coins in your pocket. whistling.gif

My attitude towards small losses: If this is the worse that can happen, I can handle it!clap2.gif

Large losses are somewhat more difficult to digest: Who can I hire to get those mudfakers? w00t.gif

Regardless, when I wake up in the morning alive and still in this world; I realize I've won the genetic lottery and I try to maintain an attitude of gratitude for just one more day. wai2.gif

Time to get over it and on with it! ....need coffee1.gif

Edited by IBoldnewguy

might be premature to freak. i know sometimes i make a withdrawal and later check online

to see ive been double debited, usually after 48hrs acct goes back to correct balance. but

like other guy said, only use atms attached to banks and preferably inside.fraud will occur.

This is the most likely explanation.

Sometimes Thai ATM's will 'reserve' the amount from your account (this is normal practice when using a debit card) so that it is there when the transaction is finally completed. If the transaction has not been completed the 'reserved' amount will be unlocked, normally after 3 days) and you will be able to draw on it.

Happened to me here around 4-5 times now, not just in ATM's but failed airline ticket transactions due to poor internet connection.

totster :)

Four years here and used the ATM twice. Have heard of Scottrade. I doubt if you will have any problems.

I do use the debit card for cash in the bank and have never had a problem with Thai banks, as another said. I have had several problems with my bank in the states.

Good luck.