Re-enact crimes is necessary: Thai police

webfact

Acting out crimes is necessary: police

Hang on, I thought acting out crimes should be avoided, so that there would be no need to re-enact them afterwards.

Also who says that crime reenactment needs to be done with the media present?

Edited by Morakot

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on, I thought acting out crimes should be avoided, so that there would be no need to react them afterwards.

Particularly with the actual victim of a reported rape.

On the positive side, where else would a police force be as transparent and admit to an absence of professionalism, and no respect for the concept of justice?

I commend Pol Colonel Chalotorn Sitthipanya, who represented the National Police for his honesty.

Bless his soul, the chap probably didn't have a clue as to what he was defending.

Last seen sitting under a thatched roof shelter on the top of a mountain in command of 2 pigs and a chook.

and the chook is actually the one in charge so when they run around there's a headless one and the boss

Hang on, I thought acting out crimes should be avoided, so that there would be no need to re-enact them afterwards.

What is more important the dignity and sanity of victims or revenue maximisation by the sensationalising mass-media?

Edited by Morakot

The Re-enactment of sex crimes is a bit much.

There was that guy in Pattaya a few months back who raped a young girl. The re-enactment was done on a bed with a teddy bear and the rapist had a crazed look in his eye.

phuket-1-11731yJwvAfRAIHEAiSandVKRKlCrpm

Disturbing.

Edited by nottocus

The countries in the world with the highest crime solving rates do no use this method, so obviously it is not necessary. Could it be that the Thai police don't know or master any other techniques in order to solve a crime, so they opt for the easiest one (let the criminal do it one more time, while the police watch, so it looks like everyone is working hard, and can get promoted).

Police lunacy as always. To the best of my knowledge no other developed country does this, why on earth would the Thai police brain trust think this is a good idea ??

That's what happens when the average copper has the reasoning ability of a petulant six year old,

"People who watch it will also not fall prey to such crime. It will show others that doing such things is not good.

In the course of the last 10 years I have seen only more and more of these re-enactments on tv and in the newspaper here in Thailand.

Would say it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.

In any case, even if re-enactments provide the police with a better understanding of the crime, there is no need to have the media present too.

Of course like another poster said, they will never change their position and admit that it is not necessary; they would loose face.

"The source admitted, however, that physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty, are not uncommon"

That line in the OP was misplaced. It should have been before and not after this one:

"said suspects have to first "confess" to investigators before they are taken to re-enact their crime".

I wonder if they realize what they have just admitted to here?

Suspected for many years, nice to see it in print. Now no need to be amazed at the incredible rate that the police get confessions.....

That just says to me that a confession is beaten out of the suspect and the reenactment is carried out as the police see it.

OK, I believe that this happens all over the world, but people, police forces or government departments don't admit to it, or let their tabloids print the sh1t................blink.png

Clearly all the other police forces in the world are way behind the admirable men in brown in this revolutionary crime solving technique.

Why don't they send this methodology to other countries police forces so that they also may benefit from this well tried out technique?

How can you "re-enact a crime" unless you are certain to have the guilty person?

Clearly there is a presumption of guilt prior to even going to trial.

The parading of 'suspects' surrounded by several cops is just a photo opportunity for the Keystones to gain self-promoting publicity.

"The source admitted, however, that physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty, are not uncommon"

That line in the OP was misplaced. It should have been before and not after this one:

"said suspects have to first "confess" to investigators before they are taken to re-enact their crime".

I wonder if they realize what they have just admitted to here?

Suspected for many years, nice to see it in print. Now no need to be amazed at the incredible rate that the police get confessions.....

That just says to me that a confession is beaten out of the suspect and the reenactment is carried out as the police see it.

OK, I believe that this happens all over the world, but people, police forces or government departments don't admit to it, or let their tabloids print the sh1t................blink.png

A little hard to beat a confession out of a suspect these days in the developed world. Where I am from every interview room/holding room are monitored by CCTV and all interviews are recorded. This protects the suspect and the police from allegations. Everything is strictly audited and everything filed and kept for a minimum of 7 yrs. The supervisor will make welfare checks on suspects and interview him/her at the conclusion of the investigation and record any complaints. The suspect has a copy of the recorded interview an if he/she makes an allegation that he confessed under duress then the evidentiary tape will support this.

Suspects were subject to attitude adjustments in the past but these are pretty much a thing of the past. When I 1st joined nearly 25 yrs ago an attitude adjustment was fairly normal but never carried out by the interviewing members. Normally it was done by the guy in the chicken or gorilla suit and when asked about his treatment at the end and he says he was assaulted he describes the person as the one dressed in the chicken suit. The old metal clothing locker rolling down the stairs was a good one also.

These days it is all warm and fluffy, they are provided with tea and bickies and get the comfy chair.

Edited by chooka

Clearly all the other police forces in the world are way behind the admirable men in brown in this revolutionary crime solving technique.

Why don't they send this methodology to other countries police forces so that they also may benefit from this well tried out technique?

They do have exchange programs so police can observe techniques of others, I did a 6 month exchange in Thailand and had Thai's in Melbourne, Australia.

a bit loss of face

is the only punishment they deserve

as the justice system lacks real crime & punishment for all the high so's

did they do this with mr redbull, aka the ferariri policemen killer, did they reanact that ?

My father was a police officer in North America and got out of jury duty after he got out of the police force by telling them he used to be a cop, and anyone arrested by a cop is considered guilty by the police and it is up to the courts to decide. But his view, and cops everywhere is anyone arrested is guilty! So letting the cops victimize everyone they arrest is a crime in itself if it is influencing due process, isn't it called jury tampering or misrepresenting facts if it is a trial with only a judge? Do they then show the re-inactment at the trial?

I think the Police are right. Often if the "suspect" isn't pointing at the dead person lying in a pool of blood it is very difficult to know who the victim is.

Plus Amnesty International are wrong - it is only after the confession of guilt they re-enact the crime and furthermore it is not innocent until proven guilty but guilty until proven funds or family lineage is established.

Its definitely needed when authorities need to further create the notion of guilt, if there is not substantial evidence, or when the authority is too lazy to investigate a case; so the accused may be perceived as guilty.

Edited by gemini81

These re-enactments of the crime are a real and effective part of the Thai justice system. Unlike the west, Asian cultural punishment is based on shame, not guilt.

I support these representations of crime 100%. As a point of interest, the Thai prison population (as a % of total population) is a fraction of the United States. There is a reason.

I guess there are strange customs and practises everywhere. Such as the funny wigs in British courts...

Thailand is the hub of pointing of suspects and crime enactation.

How right you are about funny wigs, they prance about like transvestites in the British courtrooms. The country just cannot come into the 21st century, and what about the fancy titles, the Sirs and Lords.

I dont want to impose my western views and values on Thailand.

They can conduct their criminal and judicial system as they wish.

I see the Thai system as a MUCH better system than Sharia law.

Not as good as the US/Canadian, EU or Oz systems,

but that's just my personal view.

Hang on, I thought acting out crimes should be avoided, so that there would be no need to react them afterwards.

Yes, this happened quite recently to a Rohinga girl, i did not see any pics, but guess the cops were all lined up enjoying the scene as the poor woman had to re live the trauma all over again.

These re-enactments of the crime are a real and effective part of the Thai justice system. Unlike the west, Asian cultural punishment is based on shame, not guilt.

I support these representations of crime 100%. As a point of interest, the Thai prison population (as a % of total population) is a fraction of the United States. There is a reason.

let me guess money and saying sorry.

• Like 1

Hmmm Did I miss the reenactment of the son of Red Bull killing the motorcycle cop? Anybody hear about that? Or maybe the off duty cop that shot and killed the guy in Phuket point blank? We could go on of course... "physical assaults while interrogating suspects whom police strongly believe to be guilty, are not uncommon." The USA friendship commission sends the Thai cops to Gitmo for special training. That way they gitmo confessions.....

• Like 1

I guess there are strange customs and practises everywhere. Such as the funny wigs in British courts...

Thailand is the hub of pointing of suspects and crime enactation.

How right you are about funny wigs, they prance about like transvestites in the British courtrooms. The country just cannot come into the 21st century, and what about the fancy titles, the Sirs and Lords.

They actually put it to a vote in Australia and they are still wearing robes and wigs except in Federal and high courts. It is merely a custom once to show all as equal before the court.

"I support these representations of crime 100%. As a point of interest, the Thai prison population (as a % of total population) is a fraction of the United States. There is a reason." Yeah, it is called paying off the cops and/or having family connections. Do you live here, btw?

Photo op for the BIB, thats all these are and all they will ever be. No point of looking for any logic why these events occur, nothing to do with the policing process in Thai(does anyone really know what that is?) The prime example was the 300 or more keystone cops at the murder reenactment a couple of weeks ago. I think it was based on a film with Gerard Butler, 300.

It is quite clear that this practice is only meant to putting the BIB in the best light, i.e. "look Thailand, your police is doing a great job of catching criminals and protecting you". Of course, its purpose is to deflect from other criminal police activities like extortion, entrapment etc...

It's just that the police haven't thought of anything better to serve that purpose, and so it stays, crude and medieval, as it is.