Airport taxi's (again)

lowprofile

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

Our visitors do not complain to local authorities, they vote with they valets. 

To get cheap transportation is great. To have a feeling that I have been screwed is not. 

And how exactly are they getting screwed? Its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you think the public transport workers have a right to complain when they are the same price as bangkok taxis? They are amongst the cheapest in the world. And can you back up your 'facts' about Phuket tourists with any actual data? Like a newspaper clipping or a copy of a survey (s)

To get cheap transportation is great. To have a feeling that I have been screwed is not.

And how exactly are they getting screwed? Its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

Im not interested in feeding this troll, but for correct information to others i will post this as the irish guys figures are so far out of line;

Just last week i took a metered taxi from Suvarnabhumi into Patpong...about 30klm's..cost 390 baht [including toll payment]..so per kilo about 10 baht...not 20..

From Taxi website;

Travelling from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi

Estimated Fare using meter

Distance: 49.53 km. | Duration: 39 min.

jump in the taxi 35.00 THB 49.53 km. x 9.48 THB per km 469.69 THB waiting in traffic (~12 min.) 23.64 THB Total 528.33 THB

From Suv airport site

Passengers who have to connect their flights between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang Airports, should allow at least 50 minutes to travel (it can be 1-2 hours depending on traffic). The distance between the two airports is about 40 km by using the expressway. The metered taxi will cost around 400-500 baht (depending on traffic), including expressway tolls and 50 baht surcharge on the meter. [Again about 10 baht/kilo]

Yes Ivan i Think your figures are more made up than working out exactly the fares.

Bangkok airport to Lebua at state tower costs 400 THB plus 50 thb surcharge plus 50 thb toll. So in total fare is 500 tHB. Distance is 36km.

Phuket airport to Patong. Flat fee 800 tHb (official fees) distance 38km.

Distance are approx the same.

A nice hefty 300 THB difference in price.

How do you condone that price difference?

• Like 2

IrishIvan does have a valid point regarding the prices as compared to other parts of the world.

The one that truly bugs me though is the "metered" taxi stand now has a set price menu.

Huh? Why are they called metered taxis if you don't get in and turn on the meter?

750 to Rawai now, used to be 500 on the meter (Irish, I'm still with you, really not that bad) but my private driver in a spit polished cleaned Fortuner charges me 850, so why am I going to even bother with the "metered" taxi? Pointless, really.

• Like 1

IrishIvan does have a valid point regarding the prices as compared to other parts of the world.

The one that truly bugs me though is the "metered" taxi stand now has a set price menu.

Huh? Why are they called metered taxis if you don't get in and turn on the meter?

750 to Rawai now, used to be 500 on the meter (Irish, I'm still with you, really not that bad) but my private driver in a spit polished cleaned Fortuner charges me 850, so why am I going to even bother with the "metered" taxi? Pointless, really.

Are you commenting on the taxi to Rawai still being affordable, or the fact the taxi price went up by 50%?

Next year, when it goes up by another 50%, again, will it still be affordable for you?

At what point are you going to look to another option, because, I suggest, transport on Phuket is eventually going to get to that point where you will have to, if it isn't already there now.

Edited by NamKangMan

Im not interested in feeding this troll, but for correct information to others i will post this as the irish guys figures are so far out of line;

Just last week i took a metered taxi from Suvarnabhumi into Patpong...about 30klm's..cost 390 baht [including toll payment]..so per kilo about 10 baht...not 20..

From Taxi website;

Travelling from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi 

Estimated Fare using meter

Distance: 49.53 km. | Duration: 39 min.

jump in the taxi 35.00 THB 49.53 km. x 9.48 THB per km 469.69 THB waiting in traffic (~12 min.) 23.64 THB Total 528.33 THB

From Suv airport site

Passengers who have to connect their flights between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang Airports, should allow at least 50 minutes to travel (it can be 1-2 hours depending on traffic). The distance between the two airports is about 40 km by using the expressway. The metered taxi will cost around 400-500 baht (depending on traffic), including expressway tolls and 50 baht surcharge on the meter.  [Again about 10 baht/kilo]

You would have to be a real cheap charlie not to round that up to 600 baht. And the price of a taxi from rawaii to the airport is between 7-800 baht. Thats an amazing difference of between $3.50 and at the worst $7. You really need to focus your energy on something worthwhile nkm

Another thing to note is the price from Rawaii has stayed the same for the last five years. Always between 7-800 baht

How is that the same 7 - 800 baht? And Ivan prices quoted at Airport are 1000 thb To Rawai.

You have a real thing with defending taxis on this forum and disrespecting expats continuously by this reference to Honda dreams and cheap charlies. I wonder what your real problem is? So what if an expat doesnt want to hand over his hard earned money to some tuk tuk thug.

Id prefer to have that money in my owwn pocket than some taxi drivers - but then again iM not so flush with 10000 THb in my wallet all the time

Another thing to note is the price from Rawaii has stayed the same for the last five years. Always between 7-800 baht

How is that the same 7 - 800 baht? And Ivan prices quoted at Airport are 1000 thb To Rawai.

You have a real thing with defending taxis on this forum and disrespecting expats continuously by this reference to Honda dreams and cheap charlies. I wonder what your real problem is? So what if an expat doesnt want to hand over his hard earned money to some tuk tuk thug.

Id prefer to have that money in my owwn pocket than some taxi drivers - but then again iM not so flush with 10000 THb in my wallet all the time

You have a real thing disrespecting the locals here pal. If you dont like the prices then find a cheaper mode of transport like a minivan or move away from Phuket. I mean how often do yall travel up to the Airport? Three times a year perhaps?

And I was referring to not rounding up a couple of dollars for a taxi in Bangkok. Are the Bangkok drivers thugs too?

And they are not quoted at the airport as 1000 baht. I use the airport and its taxis twice a month for work so I should know better than most

This price guide is dependent on the time of the day or night and the drivers. This is not unusual to have higher fares at night in all parts of the world

• Like 1

Response to irishivan..

You twist and turn more than a brown snake pal...w00t.gif my post #32 was in response to your crazy statement..its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

I have shown that your immagination has again run amuk..fact is that fares in Bangkok are half than those on Phuket!! Not 20 baht as you say..more like 10baht..Yes?

Nothing else comes into it..viz, tips, night driving,and all the other distractions you come up with when proven wrong...Man up and admit when you are wrong..smile.png

You have a real thing disrespecting the locals here pal. If you dont like the prices then find a cheaper mode of transport like a minivan or move away from Phuket. I mean how often do yall travel up to the Airport? Three times a year perhaps?

Firstly Im not your pal. Secondly I aint disrespecting anyone. I am clearly making points with facts which is something that you are unable to make. Which is probably why you are so defensive. Whats your problem with people commenting on the excessive price of taxis in Phuket? Whats your agenda - to stir things up on TV? Why should anyone have to pay the ridiculous prices quoted for taxis on this Island but more importantly why do you feel the need to defend the taxi mafia of Phuket Island.

And yes you are right on one thing - if i dont like i do find another form of transport - I hop up onto my Honda Dream and park in the free parking spaces availabletongue.png .

Response to irishivan..

You twist and turn more than a brown snake pal...Posted Image  my post #32  was in response to your crazy statement..its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

I have shown that your immagination has again run amuk..fact is that fares in Bangkok are half than those on Phuket!! Not 20 baht as you say..more like 10baht..Yes?

Nothing else comes into it..viz, tips, night driving,and all the other distractions you come up with when proven wrong...Man up and admit when you are wrong..Posted Image

Break out the calculator buddy. 700 / 40km = 17.5 for Phuket

And we will take your sugar coated sum of 390 baht and tell the truth it was more like 430 baht. Plus I would round that up to 460 with a 30 baht tip. So 460 / 30 = around 15 baht a kilometer.

So a whopping 2 baht 50 satang difference per kilometer. Its hardly double now is it?

Plus when you use the same drivers you just make a call and they are around to your house. Unlike standing in Sukhumvit waiting for a cab that will actually take you because they dont feel like getting stuck in traffic.

Ill take the Phuket drivers any day thankyou

Response to irishivan..

You twist and turn more than a brown snake pal...w00t.gif my post #32 was in response to your crazy statement..its less than 20baht a kilometer to get to the airport. Same price as Bangkok

Nothing else comes into it..viz, tips, night driving,and all the other distractions you come up with when proven wrong...Man up and admit when you are wrong..smile.png

Break out the calculator buddy. 700 / 40km = 17.5 for Phuket

And we will take your sugar coated sum of 390 baht and tell the truth it was more like 430 baht. Plus I would round that up to 460 with a 30 baht tip. So 460 / 30 = around 15 baht a kilometer.

So a whopping 2 baht 50 satang difference per kilometer. Its hardly double now is it?

Plus when you use the same drivers you just make a call and they are around to your house. Unlike standing in Sukhumvit waiting for a cab that will actually take you because they dont feel like getting stuck in traffic.

Ill take the Phuket drivers any day thankyou

I said that i paid 390 baht. I did pay 390 baht!

Really hope you aren't calling me a liar Ivan. That would be foolish.

Like i said ..you twist and turn..what the hells your agenda?

Whether its 20 baht or 100 baht ...Bangkok is near 50% of Phuket cost!

This flies in the face of your erronous statement where you wrongly say.." Same price as Bangkok"

I stand by my beleifs rolleyes.gif even if it is 390 baht then its still not half

No doubt you do, but we all understand your ''beliefs''w00t.gif

Fact is you are very very wrong in this statement, "Same price as Bangkok" i have put up facts to prove you wrong and you still insist that you are right

""It takes a man to admit when he's wrong"" .

After this i refuse to be part of your silly little game..seems that for some people trolling is OK..point noted!

But for those who are interested in the real Bangkok fares i have here a recent card from inside a Bangkok taxi..not some weird misleading world taxi fare comparison thingo

post-169941-0-64371000-1373335848_thumb.

I stand by my beleifs rolleyes.gif even if it is 390 baht then its still not half

No doubt you do, but we all understand your ''beliefs''w00t.gif

<snip>

And who is 'we'?

Please speak for yourself.

• Like 2

24km at 300 baht is not 10 baht a kilometer. And remember to add the tolls and the 50 baht flag fall. And night tarifs

Take into account traffic. Also remember that a bangkok taxi can easily pick up a fare in Sukhumvit after dropping off a customer at any time of the day or night. Im not looking stupid. Its people quibbling over a few dollars that look stupid.

oh Ivan is still at it....staring real fact and figures in the face he still cant admit that he is wrong.

And Ivan please remember night tariffs at PIA - or the rates that taxi drivers create late at night doubling regular rates at times.

Your argument is void - give it up - you have none - GOODBYE

• Like 1

For the sake of clarification. Forum rule 21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

I came back from a few days in Bangkok yesterday. I took a meter taxi from Pin Klao Bridge to Suvarnabhumi airport which took 42 min and cost me 320 Thb included the toll fees.

Had planned to take the airport bus into town when arrived in Phuket but flight landed before schedule and I hate to sit and wait for a bus I know always are late so I took a "meter" taxi from Phuket Airport to Samkong which now is "metered" to Thb 500,-

Up 100 Thb from December last year.

I know of course that a "meter" taxi here is not "meter taxi" but just to hear the drivers response I asked if he not drove on meter as the car is equipped with a meter and got a interesting discussion with the driver all the way from the airport and back home. He defended the prices in Phuket with no return fare and now in low season he was lucky to get one customer per day. He had previously drove taxi in Bangkok for and there it was always customers he said but had to drive much more and traffic jam. When I asked if he thought he could get a return fare if the prices was similar to Bangkok the response was Phuket is different, when I responded with oh you mean can work less for same amount or most likely more income annually he clearly got angry and the rest of the journey went in Formula one speed.

• Like 1

I came back from a few days in Bangkok yesterday. I took a meter taxi from Pin Klao Bridge to Suvarnabhumi airport which took 42 min and cost me 320 Thb included the toll fees.

Had planned to take the airport bus into town when arrived in Phuket but flight landed before schedule and I hate to sit and wait for a bus I know always are late so I took a "meter" taxi from Phuket Airport to Samkong which now is "metered" to Thb 500,-

I know of course that a "meter" taxi here is not "meter taxi" but just to hear the drivers response I asked if he not drove on meter as the car is equipped with a meter and got a interesting discussion with the driver all the way from the airport and back home. He defended the prices in Phuket with no return fare and now in low season he was lucky to get one customer per day. He had previously drove taxi in Bangkok for and there it was always customers he said but had to drive much more and traffic jam. When I asked if he thought he could get a return fare if the prices was similar to Bangkok the response was Phuket is different, when I responded with oh you mean can work less for same amount or most likely more income annually he clearly got angry and the rest of the journey went in Formula one speed.

Are you sure it wasn't IrishIvan driving the meter taxi - moonlighting from his normal tuk tuk job.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Thats human nature.

Are you sure it wasn't IrishIvan driving the meter taxi - moonlighting from his normal tuk tuk job.cheesy.gif

Hey you might not be far off Phil, It might have been my in laws, I just put up a loan for 2 tuk tuks, I get half the fares, its a great little earner! :)