90 Day Reports if you have a Yellow House Book

This is a genuine, non-gripe enquiry; so please don't flame me or give sarcastic 'Just do it and stop complaining' answers. I'm just trying to understand the hows and whys of what we do as foreigners. I'm more than happy to be wised-up constructively.

I'm of the belief that we send 90 Day Reports so that the authorities know where all foreigners are, presumably if there are emergencies and probably for stats. Given that they can keep tabs on Thai citizens from the blue books; why do they still need a 90 Day Report if you have a Yellow House Book?

Because the law specifically states that you have to report every 90 days.

(Only since a few years can you be on a yellow household book).

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I know that those with Permanent Residence don't have to submit 90 Day Reports and I'm guessing that this is in the law as well.

I don't want to debate the whys and wherefores of Thai law; I'm guessing it can open a can of worms, but presumably, given the right circumstances, the law could be changed.

• Like 1

I know that those with Permanent Residence don't have to submit 90 Day Reports and I'm guessing that this is in the law as well.

I don't want to debate the whys and wherefores of Thai law; I'm guessing it can open a can of worms, but presumably, given the right circumstances, the law could be changed.

Being on permanent residence is a country is vastly different from living somewhere on visa's or extensions of stay....they are not even close

a PR has a legal right of abode, but being on a visa/extension of stay does not give you right that right

A yellow book is just a useful tool in certain circumstances and gives you no legal rights whatsoever,

e.g: if you want to buy something on credit/finance (car etc) you will most likely find it easier if you have a yellow book than without one, in my experience.

As the OP I'm very grateful for all your help - I'm now 'Wised-up'

At immigration I usually show my Thai drivers licence as proof of where I live. This has always been fine.

How does one get a yellow book?

You need to go to your local Amphur office, where Thais get their Blue House Registration Books, as you probably guessed. Take your passport with copies of relevant things like personal details and visa. You'll need to get a letter from Immigration to prove you're here on a long term basis(which they count as a year); you won't get one on a Tourist Visa. Also, proof of residence at the relevant address eg rental agreement.

Edited by Kellynch

At immigration I usually show my Thai drivers licence as proof of where I live. This has always been fine.

By making the 90 days report you do not have to provide documental proof of your address such as

yellow book, driving licence, or an embassy confirmation, just write your address on the 90 days reporting

form and that is accepted.

• Like 1

The address reporting issue is all about providing an updated point of reference should immigration have a reason to look for you for removal from the country, that is what it is about. Not having a house in your name or being a name in a house-book.

Be grateful that you are not assessed to Thai Taxation which those with PR are and on their worldwide income too. A low profile is what you need to adopt.

Actually anybody that is in Thailand for more than 180 days of the year is liable for taxes earned from working or rental income.

By making the 90 days report you do not have to provide documental proof of your address such as

yellow book, driving licence, or an embassy confirmation, just write your address on the 90 days reporting

form and that is accepted.

I have lived here over 5 years in my house owned by my wife. I am on a Marriage Visa. Is there any benefit to me to get a Yellow Book?

I have a retirement visa, which my lawyer arranges for me each year. He requires passport photos, health certificate and proof of funds.

My passport is away for 3-4 days and then comes back with a multiple entry visa.

I do not have to report every 90 days and have not done so for the last 5 years.

Is this because Krabi immigration operates differently? Am I doing something illegal? I leave the country once a year and have never been questioned on re-entry.

I am not on any house book.

It sounds like you are getting OA visas which gives you a one year permit to stay every time you enter the country for a year. You should be making 90 day reports to immigration because you are staying in the country for more than 90 days.

If you are making border runs every 90 days you have a multiple entry non-o visa which requires no reports.

Being on permanent residence is a country is vastly different from living somewhere on visa's or extensions of stay....they are not even close

a PR has a legal right of abode, but being on a visa/extension of stay does not give you right that right

You are correct.

Few rights are extended to expats who are not PR

This is Thailand, nothing is ever made easy for you. Thailand makes rules regarding immigration to make you spend money, ie visa runs out of the country, ninety day reporting, plus all the other costs.

I have a retirement visa, which my lawyer arranges for me each year. He requires passport photos, health certificate and proof of funds.

My passport is away for 3-4 days and then comes back with a multiple entry visa.

I do not have to report every 90 days and have not done so for the last 5 years.

Is this because Krabi immigration operates differently? Am I doing something illegal? I leave the country once a year and have never been questioned on re-entry.

I am not on any house book.

Your lawyer has most likely been getting you an extension of stay based on retirement with multi re-entry permit. If this is correct and you do not leave the county within 90 days, you are required to make 90 reports. Review your stamps in your passport to see exactly what you have. A O-A visa can not be procured in Thailand and must be procured at a Thai embassy/consulate. An extension of stay can be procured at immigration offices in Thailand as well as a multi re-entry permit.

rolleyes.gif I'm not being sarcastic or complaining ..... but it is the fact that in Thailand if you are not a Thai

Permanent resident or Thai citizen

then you are a "alien' temporarily residing in Thailand and therefore subject to reporting every 90 days.

That's just the Thai law, applies to everyone.

Every country has some sort of law regarding foreigners temporarily residing in their country as does Thailand, the U.K. or the U.S.A.

Try to remember that:

In U.S. terms .... you are like a "wetback" living in the U.S.

In U.K terms ..... you are a "Paki" living in London with your family.

Like it or not hat's what you are here in Thailand as a non Thai ... unless you can "earn" your right to stay here.

For those of you who don't like it ... well that's how those living in those countries feel there.

• Like 1

aTHAI DRIVERS LICENSE IS NO PROOF OF WHERE U STAY????

What if u left your existing property,would u change your thai license to the new address, i dont think so

• Like 1

This is Thailand, nothing is ever made easy for you. Thailand makes rules regarding immigration to make you spend money, ie visa runs out of the country, ninety day reporting, plus all the other costs.

U think Thailand is worse than uk?????

Nonsense

• Like 2

Nonsense

Itis not nonsense, but Thailand is a lot better than the UK, the UK could learn a lot from Thailand, especially where immigration is concerned.

• Like 2

But an extension of stay does not require a health certificate and Farang Paul stated he has a multiple entry visa.

If Farang Paul (or his lawyer) applies to a consulate in his home country I believe a health certificate might be required.

But an extension of stay does not require a health certificate and Farang Paul stated he has a multiple entry visa.

If Farang Paul (or his lawyer) applies to a consulate in his home country I believe a health certificate might be required.

And a police report?

And a police report?

In the UK I believe that is the case, yes.

Nonsense

Itis not nonsense, but Thailand is a lot better than the UK, the UK could learn a lot from Thailand, especially where immigration is concerned.

Indeed,Thailand doesn't make it easy for scroungers to live here.Nothing Free like the E.U idiots give away to so called immigrants

• Like 2