Pm Thaksin Resigns

george

Turnout in the North/Northeast was the same as always, I believe, and yes, lots of their votes were bought, and yes, they don't know any better than to sell their votes and go along with Pooyai's orders, and yes they knew what was good for them, as opposed to good for the country, and yes, hey voted TRT.

On that last point - if they actually had their country's interests in minds, their votes wouldn't have been overturned and Thaksin wouldn't have resigned.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ColPyat, with respect, I think your post just now is hugely hypocritical. You seem to want to stand on the fence. And yet post antagonistic points to get others upset! Forgive me in advance if I am wrong.

You are dead wrong.

If you read this week's economist's cover story - this is exactly how i feel about the elections and the forced resignation of Thaksin. Just because i tend not to let my emotions guide me while analysing the political situation does by far not mean that i "sit on the fence". And if people get "upset" about this, this is hardly my problem, but shows the immaturity and inability to analyse of those others.

Pyat you forgot a large majority of those 16 million were just those pesky ignorant, unproductive, stupid, uninformed, uneducated paid off, bought vote upcountry dirt-poor farmers who must not have known who they should vote for otherwise they surely would have voted No Vote so they could sink farther back into poverty. Or just maybe, this lowly lot, did know what was good for them and voted TRT.

One thing is for certain you will not see a 60% vote turnout in the North for the next election.

WOW!

This post highlights the ignorant and arrogant attitude of the urban based middle class here in Thailand towards the upcountry folks, and is the basic reason of why those rural poor of the North and Isaarn did vote for Thaksin.

Thanks for making my point.

The Supreme Court has refused EC's petition prposing to use only stamps in the election

The Supreme Administrative Court has rejected the Election Commission's (EC) petition of using only rubber stamps in the election. However, the court has supported the preliminary administration court’s verdict and has ordered the EC to provide voters with both pens and rubber stamps.

The Supreme Administrative Court views that if the EC provides the rubber stamps solely, then it might break the law and human rights in accordance with Article 29 of the Constitution.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 April 2006

Dr. Prommin: it is inappropriate to reveal the new PM for this time

The Deputy Secretary-General of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Dr. Prommin Lertsuridej (พรหมินทร์ เลิศสุริย์เดช), views that his party should not reveal the candidate who will be the new Prime Minister this moment, while confirming that the selection of the new premier will not root conflicts within the party members.

He said that the most important thing right now is to discuss the political reformation of Thailand rather than criticizing about the selection of the next Prime Minister.

However, Dr. Prommin said that his party will seriously talk about the selection again after the election is over. He said that the new premier's qualification must pass the legal requirements, adding that the person must be a Thai Rak Thai Party MP.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 April 2006

Sriracha john I forgot to mention your reply smacked of the self righteous.

I'm sorry if it came across that way... murderous thugs have that effect on me.

So, does that mean you spend as much time on American forums? Heard there are quite a few disgruntled Americans wanting to oust G.W. Bush and reinstore democracy there too... :D

Not to mention electoral fraud and extra judicial killings...Or media control...Didn't Thaksin study in the States? :D Sorry, just couldn't resist that one :D

Actually, I don't spend one minute on American forums.

I choose to devote my attention to this forum, as others in Thailand pale in comparison, to the location of where I reside, not where I go on occasion to visit.

It is where my hang my hat, it is where I live... and I wouldn't want it any other way.

This is my home... and I care a great deal about what happens to the people that share my space.

Truly, this thread has now been concluded. I appreciate Tettyan's admirable efforts at the statistics and would likely be a nice intro to a new thread,

eg. "Thailand... Post-Thaksin" or even

"By-Election... What's In Store?"

"Numbers Crunching, How DO They All Add Up?"

As for this one, Thaksin has resigned. He's as much a part of the past history as the

"PAD Rally One" thread.

Thaksin's gone. And now it's time to move on...

same as me....

Happy Songkran to everyone.

Going off to be among the people that share my space for a couple of weeks.

Sea, Sand, and Sun.

Recharge the batteries now that mission #1 has been accomplished.

("Mission Impossible" was what many people thought)

Enjoy the celebrations... and take care of yourselves...

Peace.

/// Topic: closed?????????

:o

A job well done SJ and as Miaow says may we all disagree............... agreeably, as you would wish also.

Enjoy the Songkran and the break. may we all stay safe during the coming fun/chaos, what ever your take on it all is.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

30001287-01.jpg

About 50,000 people gather at the People’s Alliance for Democracy anti-government rally at Sanam Luang last night. PAD leaders vowed to continue their campaign until there is ‘real political reform’.

Source: The Nation - 8 April 2006

PAD celebrates 'victory'

Tens of thousands join rally; organisation will be restructured to press for political reform

Tens of thousands of people last night joined a ''victory'' rally by the People's Alliance for Democracy where its leaders revealed restructuring plans designed to tap support from every segment of society. PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila said the restructured body, to be renamed the Assembly of the People for Democracy (APD), would reach out to people at all levels and press for political reform.

Instead of holding a mass rally, the new body would break into smaller units to hold smaller rallies in the provinces and work with local panels to be formed at provincial, district and tambon levels.

The number of leaders would be increased to nine or 10.

He said the first campaigns would focus on areas with high numbers of no-vote ballots in the April 2 election. The mobile rallies would focus on educating people about political reforms with the aim of rooting out Thaksinocracy, he said.

Huge rallies such as the one seen yesterday at Sanam Luang would not be held again in light of the upcoming 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's accession to the throne, which takes place in June.

The restructured PAD would also monitor the performance of the new prime minister and House of Representatives.

The group believes the prime minister, yet to be elected, will be a proxy of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who early this week announced his decision to step aside. Opponents suspect that Mr Thaksin will still be pulling the strings in the government's decision-making.

But publisher Sondhi Limthongkul, a PAD leader, said a major rally could be held if Mr Thaksin did not resign from the post by April 30. ''We'll take a break in June for the celebrations. After that it'll be a protracted protest,'' he said.

The five PAD leaders took turns on stage last night, claiming victory in forcing Mr Thaksin to bow out.

In a statement released to the press after a meeting of core leaders, the PAD insisted on invoking article 7 of the constitution to create a government of national reconciliation to carry out political reform.

It said the government, like the Anand Panyarachun administration in the early 1990s, should comprise non-partisan cabinet members and put on hold three controversial policies _ the privatisation of state enterprises, free trade agreements and megaprojects.

The PAD would push for the formation of an independent commission to work on political reform and draft amendments to the constitution. The draft would be put forward for a public referendum.

It also demanded a special commission be formed to investigate allegations of corruption under the Thaksin regime, especially the sale of Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasek Holdings.

Meanwhile, new candidate applications for by-elections in 38 constituencies, set to start today, may later be banned by the Administrative Court, which has agreed to consider a complaint laid by the Democrat party. A source said the court had accepted the request submitted by Thavorn Senniam, Democrat deputy secretary-general, for a ban on the Election Commission's invitation for new applicants to join the April 23 by-elections.

But the court could not revoke the registration of applicants this weekend, as the Democrat party requested, because it needed time to investigate.

Mr Thavorn said new candidates should not be allowed to run in the 38 constituencies in the South because this would amount to a re-election, for which the EC must seek a royal decree.

Mr Thavorn also spoke of an unfair advantage given to TRT candidates in that they will be able to keep the party's number two slot while new rivals are forced to obtain other numbers.

More importantly, if new candidates could run in constituencies where TRT previously stood alone, then TRT would no longer need to win the support of 20% of eligible voters.

Mr Thavorn said he would also file a complaint with the Criminal Court against the EC for treating a certain party preferentially.

Meanwhile, the Constitution Court is preparing to receive petitions concerning the opening of the House in the event the number of MPs does not reach 500.

Acting court president Phan Chantaraparn said that in anticipation of the petitions he had asked court officials three weeks ago to gather information on the lower house. The court could not get involved unless it was asked to intervene, he said.

Source: Bangkok Post - 8 April 2006

What the poor [rural] needs isn't money, it's knowledge what to do with them. As has been proven again and again.

Yeah, Einstein, can you tell me any single political party in Thailand ever has seen any importance to give those poor folks that sort of knowledge?

I reckon, if that would have happened, we would not be right now here debating about the merits of Thaksin and his polpulist policies, wouldn't we? And, as the talk about educating the poor folks has been around before Thaksin was born, and not much has really happened since, i have certain doubts that this will happen in the foreseeable future. Talk is easy.

Thank you for calling me Einstein. Sadly I cannot return the favour.

If you ever, and you have had several chances, tried to read any posts but your own [or your own versions of others] you would already know that many of us are in no way defending the Other parties politics.

What you, again, fail to comprehend is that just becouse some-one is anti-communist doesn't make them nazi. Or vice versa.

Ps. Since I'm not PM of this country your comment on 'talk is easy' isn't very bright. Ds.

What the poor [rural] needs isn't money, it's knowledge what to do with them. As has been proven again and again.

I'm guessing you have not spent much time with the rural poor. They can't put food on the table directly with knowledge, it will help in the long run if it is put forward as good agricultural training, irrigation projects, medical and sound marketing for their products. What they need is money to feed their families, knowledge based on the thoughts of a group of people in Bangkok, who share none of their day to day problems is the last thing they need. It's hard to relate with the poor if you are making as much in a month as they are in a year or more and it's hard for them to relate to you as well.

There is a rift between the rich and the poor, now more than ever, and thankfully the poor hold the balance of power, because of their numbers, otherwise they would be ignored.

I think you are missing one important thing: It's loan, not welfare, they are given.

If you are poor, without any knowledge on how to make (or maintain) money, but are then given easy loans by loan-sharks or the goverment due to a populistic flirt - how will you handle it?

In most cases you will end up miss-using the founds and getting yourself into more truble then before.

Hence the reports of increased poor pepople in loan-traps now.

Edited by TAWP

If you ever, and you have had several chances, tried to read any posts but your own [or your own versions of others] you would already know that many of us are in no way defending the Other parties politics.

What you, again, fail to comprehend is that just becouse some-one is anti-communist doesn't make them nazi. Or vice versa.

Ps. Since I'm not PM of this country your comment on 'talk is easy' isn't very bright. Ds.

LOL! What i fail to comprehend... :o

Alright, you don't defend the other party's poltitics, but you are supporting the PAD? Are you kidding me?

It is rather simplistic to join a cause, in this case the one of the PAD, without ever thinking about the consequences, and then supporting your lazyness by stating that you are not the PM, and therefore implying that you can't do anything anyhow.

There is a lot of things you can do, only they are not as glamorous as joining some idiotic cause without activating the grey matter between your ears. Well, for a starter, actually using that grey matter would be a good beginning.

Then you might actually be able to comprehend that i am not supporting Thaksin, never have, but analyse, not led by infantile emotional conditions, the present political turmoil, and resulting possible consequences. I am not partisan to any cause, what cannot be said about many posters here, including, and especially you.

Alright, you don't defend the other party's poltitics, but you are supporting the PAD? Are you kidding me?

It is rather simplistic to join a cause, in this case the one of the PAD, without ever thinking about the consequences, and then supporting your lazyness by stating that you are not the PM, and therefore implying that you can't do anything anyhow.

There is a lot of things you can do, only they are not as glamorous as joining some idiotic cause without activating the grey matter between your ears. Well, for a starter, actually using that grey matter would be a good beginning.

Then you might actually be able to comprehend that i am not supporting Thaksin, never have, but analyse, not led by infantile emotional conditions, the present political turmoil, and resulting possible consequences. I am not partisan to any cause, what cannot be said about many posters here, including, and especially you.

Once again you fail to understand normal english.

Please point out where I said I support PAD.

Infact, if you 'the grey matter between your ears' you might notice that I have several time written that being anti-Thaksin isn't being pro-'anything-else'.

I can only conclude that behind your post is an individual that thinks it's more important to be 'right' or to antagonise other posters, then to have a proper debate.

Sad really.

I can only conclude

Whatever.

I believe that we have played that game long enough, and would prefer to hear of posters who actually have something to say about the topic at hand - may i remind you, it is Thaksin's resignation - than responding to fellow poster's imagined or real personal failures.

I believe topical posts would be far more interesting to all than a continuation of this trench warfare. So, please, if you have nothing else to tell me other than that you don't like my posts, or me, then i believe you have brought that point across already.

Therfore, could we move on please, to a more topical discussion.

Thank you.

Oh deah ! :o

Warning from defence minister

The military has warned activist protesters to back off, and drop demands that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra leave politics altogether.

Defence Minister Gen Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya said some military officers are thinking about taking action over the issue, but he did not explain what he meant.

The military, he said, is trying to be patient about the demands of the protesters, led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), that Mr Thaksin completely wash his hands of politics and leave the country,

Speaking to journalists after a ceremony celebrating the 119th anniversary of the Defence Ministry, Gen Thammarak - who is a deputy leader of the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, warned that demands by PAD for Mr Thaksin to get out of politics and Thailand were close to the legal line.

"What would they want the prime minister to do after he had already stepped back?" Gen Thammarak asked rhetorically.

"Do they want the Thai Rak Thai Party to be dissolved?"

Gen Thammarak noted the constitution clearly stipulated that the prime minister must be an elected member of parliament (MP).

Gen Thammarak said he had told the military to be patient, as he knew that soldiers were thinking of making moves against the PAD and its allies.

So far, Thai Rak Thai has not yet discussed who would be the most suitable candidate to become the next prime minister, as the party wants the election process to be completed first, he said.

By-elections in 39 constituencies nationwide will be held on April 23 after unopposed candidates in the April 2 general election failed to receive the statutory minimum requirement of at least 20 per cent of the total votes. - (BP, TNA)

"Gen Thammarak said he had told the military to be patient, as he knew that soldiers were thinking of making moves against the PAD and its allies."

Are these veiled threats ?

The difficulty here is to know what is going on behind the scenes?

Who supports whom and who is backing what ?

I think the 'Puppet in the Shadows' implied by a number of posters is very likely to be correct.

Would the election of 2nd April pass any tests of 'Fair & Free' ? I doubt it !

I find this news item disturbing to say the least ! :o

Edited by Hermano Lobo

"Gen Thammarak said he had told the military to be patient, as he knew that soldiers were thinking of making moves against the PAD and its allies."

Are these veiled threats ?

The difficulty here is to know what is going on behind the scenes?

Who supports whom and who is backing what ?

I think the 'Puppet in the Shadows' implied by a number of posters is very likely to be correct.

Would the election of 2nd April pass any tests of 'Fair & Free' ? I doubt it !

I find this news item disturbing to say the least ! :D

If it did come to pass.

How convenient it would be for the puppet master to be out of the country and O.of A. ( alledgedly )

Only to return in the guise as saviour and hero.

me a cynic...............................................................na never??????????????????????????????????

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I find this news item disturbing to say the least ![/b] :o

Disturbing, but to be expected. Expect more if the PAD does not cease to keep the massive demonstrations going. Continued demonstrations will only be interpreted by army and some other place as deliberate provocation in oder to blackmail the established powers into giving in to every of their partly outlandish demands. It does not go unnoticed, even by the western media, that the present conflict has brought to surface a huge, not only economical gap and conflict, between the rural poor and the urban middle classes.

A continuation of demonstrations only furthers those social conflicts, does not solve anything.

Read the very intelligent articles of this week's economist.

yet more flaming by our fave VIP

Sriracha john I forgot to mention your reply smacked of the self righteous.

I'm sorry if it came across that way... murderous thugs have that effect on me.

So, does that mean you spend as much time on American forums? Heard there are quite a few disgruntled Americans wanting to oust G.W. Bush and reinstore democracy there too... :D

Not to mention electoral fraud and extra judicial killings...Or media control...Didn't Thaksin study in the States? :D Sorry, just couldn't resist that one :D

Actually, I don't spend one minute on American forums.

I choose to devote my attention to this forum, as others in Thailand pale in comparison, to the location of where I reside, not where I go on occasion to visit.

It is where my hang my hat, it is where I live... and I wouldn't want it any other way.

This is my home... and I care a great deal about what happens to the people that share my space.

Truly, this thread has now been concluded. I appreciate Tettyan's admirable efforts at the statistics and would likely be a nice intro to a new thread,

eg. "Thailand... Post-Thaksin" or even

"By-Election... What's In Store?"

"Numbers Crunching, How DO They All Add Up?"

As for this one, Thaksin has resigned. He's as much a part of the past history as the

"PAD Rally One" thread.

Thaksin's gone. And now it's time to move on...

same as me....

Happy Songkran to everyone.

Going off to be among the people that share my space for a couple of weeks.

Sea, Sand, and Sun.

Recharge the batteries now that mission #1 has been accomplished.

("Mission Impossible" was what many people thought)

Enjoy the celebrations... and take care of yourselves...

Peace.

/// Topic: closed?????????

A job well done SJ and as Miaow says may we all disagree............... agreeably, as you would wish also.

Enjoy the Songkran and the break. may we all stay safe during the coming fun/chaos, what ever your take on it all is.

marshbags :D:D:D

SJ I agree with some of what you say, however, there are still disagreements about your earlier post. From my experience I find that bilingual Thais will, while speaking in Thai, often say things in English and then back to Thai again for the simple reason it can be easier for them to explain something that way.

The other main point of disagreement is that figures printed in the media are more often than not incorrect. They have to make the story as big as possible so figures are often massaged, especially when there is no real way of establishing the numbers accurately, either because it is impossible or they can be hearsay. In no way do I dispute what happened it is just the accuracy of the numbers that I'm not convinced about.

Have a pleasant Songkran.

For any military officer to move against PAD with force is suicidal to his career. PAD has every right to continue peaceful rallies. Protests against Thaksin have ended, as promised, albeit he hasn't really resigned and so PAD hasn't really stopped protesting.

If Gen Tammarak thinks that with Thaksin resigning PAD will lose interest in politics altogether and stop scrutinising the governement, he's as wrong as Brtimaveric on his luckiest day :o (forgive me, please).

Cleaning up the government and bureaucracy and focusing on the country's interests is the most important job at the moment. If Thaksin is allowed to pull strings from behind, there's no chance any policy will ever succeed - he will always find a way to corrupt it to suit his and his cronies interests.

Cleaning up is the most unpopular and the most ungrateful job. Democrats have done it once, after 1997 crisis, and it looks like they will have to do it again. Then another bastard will pop up and claim the credit and proceed to destroy everyting Democrats have built.

History has an uncanning way of repeating itself.

If Gen Tammarak thinks that with Thaksin resigning PAD will lose interest in politics altogether and stop scrutinising the governement, he's as wrong as Brtimaveric on his luckiest day :o (forgive me, please).

Well, unfortunately some of the more than unsavory characters that are part of the PAD, and that the PAD have allied themselves with, surly won't loose interest in politics. Fore them the PAD is a stepping stone.

But i have serious doubts that those are interested in a true democratisation of Thailand...

Final Election Results? :D

1. Threads jumps - Dear Moderators

is there a reason why unfinished business like the election threads are being closed, before a topic talk is finished? I followed up from the Election page up to here, as I was trying to find some final results. But couldn't find any :D

2. Election

Anyone has a source for the final results? Personally I still wonder why Thaksin was the first to know the election results (16Million TRT against about 11Mil. No votes) before anyone else did?

Did any of you sirs & ladys ever got to read the final election results? Or as Talk-sin declared his care-shaker :D - resigning is there no point anymore of the final counts? But on the otherhand the TRT = Thai Robe Thais party still insists on a next election to fill up the missing 20% (they seam to be cheating on, and go on with the elections although it was clear joke of course, so legal short-cuts are now being used, and I guess all election court rulings will be of course in favor of them).

WHERE ARE THESE ELECTION RESULTS (FINAL)?? Is this the same secret as it is to know who told Talk-sin to finally step down? His wife, the king? ...strange things happen here...

Anyhow on another note, the first unofficial shoulder clapping TRT meeting as you might know was held on a Golf Course near Bangkok date. I just saw on the TV a typical "clown scene" by the TRT's:

Thaksin hit the ball on the driveway and immediatelly (just a second after the ball went off, good swing I must admit) before even anyone had a chance to see where the ball went, all guys were clapping. :o (what a funny club they are). Most of them looked only to Thaksin, but didn't even had a look where the ball/hit was heading for!?

Picture language: Never mind what the goal or the target is for the country, just don't forgot to support me, in the future :D

Guess this shows very nicely how the TRT's were working in the last view years:

Mouth open (the hit by Thaksin), quick admiring (Arschkriecher in German) and no idea if & where the goal or the target will be hit. Who cares? See again the on-going airport story date. Politics is secondary to them, planning even a thing of unnecessity. How many times, deadline-planning where the most ridicilouse thing from TRT in the past and present (Drug-war, Tsunami, airport, mega-project etc. you name it). I guess these policies are cleary just vote-buying and then later self-serving purposes.

I guess there is only one solution to this silly kindergarten club. The oppostion should hire a NASA Spacecraft, invite all TRT-members for a free shedule flight to the mond. And then let them stay on the mond 4ever and enjoy the stars and sights and sounds of space. I wish this would & could be done :D

I admire all people, who give more hopes to the Democrats (they sure will come up with a better future plan than TRT, as their politics is clearly not based on corruption, vote buying etc. more on realistic terms) and also people having a full ear of what the PAD's (now APD) were saying. Mobbers? ...guess you guys just don't want to listen (Pro Thaksin bros), the corruption can be cleaned up of course! If there is a will there is a way. I support all people who don't accept these dummy politicians anymore and therefore also admire all No-voters for their voices.

I guess the 50'000 we saw last Friday, was just small tip of the iceberg, what could come if the old clan continious with it's silly job they are doing now (of course I want to insisit that sure not all TRT members and actions where or are wrong, but guess just to many and the majority, are just doing what the boss is saying, and I truely believe the Democrats will and can do a better and more reliable long-term job for Thailand). But somethings you see the TRT's are doing is really rather silly and mid-boggeling. :D

Enough is enough. TRT = TRT Release Thailand please!

Enjoy your Songkarn, for those lucky ones with free-time.

:D

Edited by sushiman

Anyhow on another note, the first unofficial shoulder clapping TRT meeting as you might know was held on a Golf Course near Bangkok date. I just saw on the TV a typical "clown scene" by the TRT's:

The scene you have described is not exactly only TRT - Thaksin territory. This behavior yu find repeated whenever in Thai society so called Puyai and lower ranked people get together.

TRT represents the worst of Thailand's politics, really. Despite their claims to modernity and "CEO" style management, they are just..... well.... chinese.

Good example is that fish that lollows the shark everywhere, feeds of the leftovers, and whose only job is to clean shark's teeth.

The lasting damage from TRT's rule is not corruption, IMO, but the five years wasted on ass-licking. It didn't give Thais any benefits comparing to their neighbours.

SIDELINES

Caretaker prime minister becomes puppet master

Thaksin Shinawatra, embattled Thai Rak Thai Party leader, is gone from active politics, at least for now, but has opted to stay behind the scenes as the puppet master, pulling the strings behind all his cronies who remain as caretaker Cabinet members with control over the country's destiny.

His temporary absence from Government House does not mean he has washed his hands of politics. Thaksin has retained the status of caretaker prime minister while appointing a deputy caretaker prime minister to take his place.

The country therefore has two caretaker prime ministers, one inactive but still in full control, while the other is in charge of government but merely as a puppet, trying to keep Thai Rak Thai in power.

The government is in limbo, a lame-duck entity unable to introduce major policy issues. It is just killing time until elections can supply 500 House members, which is certainly unattainable without some shady legal manoeuvring.

This is a sad state for Thailand. Thaksin refuses to relinquish power despite strong pressure on many fronts for fear that the entire Cabinet will have to go, opening a way for His Majesty the King to appoint an interim prime minister. That would lead to political reform and constitutional amendments to put the country on a new course, away from a certain ruinous future due to the corrosive effects of Thaksinomics during the past five years.

Thailand is not safe yet. Thaksin's refusal to resign has shut all avenues to regime change. He sees that there will be political difficulties in the months ahead, such as the inability of Thai Rak Thai to have a full House of 500 members. This means there is no way for the party to convene Parliament and pick a new prime minister.

Thaksin's decision to step aside was a perfect scheme to save his skin and stay away from all the troubles resulting from this expected political impasse. If his puppet caretaker prime minister and Cabinet cronies successfully survive all the adversity, then he can reclaim the premiership with the strong support of rural grass-roots voters.

The ongoing political uneasiness will remain unresolved as long as Thaksin continues to be a political master with immense power and money to spend. The Thai Rak Thai Party may be fractious, but the dissident factions are too afraid to walk away and face a political void with no chance of contesting elections due to constitutional restrictions.

Taking a holiday will not only allow Thaksin to have some peace of mind and, in his own words, regain the status of a human being after playing the role of a political animal for several years. The break allows him to take care of multibillion-baht assets, both those long stashed abroad and those newly garnered from the sale of Shin Corp stock for Bt73 billion, to form a huge family fortune.

What's more, there is no immediate risk of criminal investigations based on long-standing public accusations of massive corruption in government, abuse of power, deep-seated cronyism and conflict of interest. Their caretaker status enables Thaksin and his cronies to preserve power and prevent independent investigation into corruption and other wrongful practices in government. At the same time, they remain unrepentant over the attempt to sell off the financially solid Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand through privatisation, which would have created immense wealth for politicians in power.

The People's Alliance for Democracy, which can still draw tens of thousands of people to rallies, is determined to do away with Thaksinomics. The group wants Thaksin to leave politics for good or else, it says, the country risks a calamitous future.

Thaksin is enjoying himself, at least openly, in the company of golf buddies and cronies, ignoring the pressure. He is confident that no one can do anything to take power from him as long as he does not resign. Yet should he lose it, he has a strong chance of making a vigorous comeback with the mandate of grass-roots voters.

Like it or not, the country is not safe from Thaksin's grasp and his potential to lead us all to a tragic ending.

Sopon Onkgara

Source - The Nation 09April 2006

http://www.nationmultimedia.comurl]

The scene you have described is not exactly only TRT - Thaksin territory. This behavior yu find repeated whenever in Thai society so called Puyai and lower ranked people get together.

Phi-jai Colpyat (what does your name mean? Thai?)

that's well observed and very true of course, but this was of course not the goal for my comment.

My goal was to show how TRT is doing politics in a vast manner, without long-term goals, only short-term bank account filling self-purpose and well commented also by PLUS above in a more direct sense rapport what is going on here.

You as TRT supporter as far I read some of your previous postings (or criticer of all Anti Thaksin people whatever is your main stand, which of course is your right, and some of your points were well commented too), what is your future prediction for the TRT's now? Do you think they will follow their leaders promise to invite people from all walks of life to amend the constitution?? I rather think they will try to use this situation to create a 1-3 year only TRT house, which is of course a bit worrying for the future of Thailand, i suppose. Full in gread of the current situation, that the opposition didn't agree to those self-arranged selfserving (trying to bring the allegations under the carpet) Snap-Erections? (Elections).

Do you personally think this Snap Elections were a good thing for anyone or any case?

Your Nong-Jai Sushiman :o

Edited by sushiman

Yes, Colpyat, but this shit doesn't wash in Bangkok anymore. If pooyais don't deserve respect, they don't get any, and in the long run they lose to competition.

I don't have any problem with the system per se - if respect is well deserved, it's just they banked on the wrong horse with Thaksin. It was easy to see but they kept on with their ass-kissing and the more sincere they appeared the better it was for them.

This will not work again in Bangkok. Thanks to PAD, people expect a lot more from their government.

Yes, Colpyat, but this shit doesn't wash in Bangkok anymore. If pooyais don't deserve respect, they don't get any, and in the long run they lose to competition.

I don't have any problem with the system per se - if respect is well deserved, it's just they banked on the wrong horse with Thaksin. It was easy to see but they kept on with their ass-kissing and the more sincere they appeared the better it was for them.

This will not work again in Bangkok. Thanks to PAD, people expect a lot more from their government.

Oh righty you are! Well commented.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will restructure its organization to People's Assembly for Democracy which cooperates with the former opposition parties and people around the country to push for the political reform, PAD coordinator said Friday.

I think it's a great thing happening here in Thailand, and for all people who are claiming about the troubled economy hit, and some traffic jams?? ..oh my gosh what a big difference ..to any other day...(take the Skytrain or MRT on those days) by the protests, I must suggest, they also don't think very long-term. PAD they have a clear long-term vision of a cleaner (if this will be possible, of course a cleaner will be, why not?) future for Thailands Politics with less corruption. What's so wrong about that?

Thanks buddha they are here, and do something against it/them.

Story will not end so quickly, as problems in Politics can't be sovled so quickly as TRT's sometimes seam to try and claim.

The airport will also not be finished in July, even if the TRT want to believe so. Just another story of them, how they get lost from reality.

:D