why people don't come to Thailand instead to struggle in their home country?

Cheapcharly

- lack of awareness the option exist affordably. Only the mega rich can afford to travel. There weren't as many travel blogs that exist today.

- cultural influence / egocentrism. You are convinced that you already have it better than others. You should be lucky/happy to live in [home country]. Everywhere else is a sh**hole or beneath you.

- addiction to suffering/struggling. This might sound silly, but after a while you find it difficult to conceive a simplier life. You were convinced to get-get-get all the material possessions first, then you can relax 'one day'

- entitlement mentality. The gov'ts [insert social program here] is supposed to do this for me for free. Taking some personal responsibility is frightening to this type of mindset.

- taking risks. Our fear of the future can have a death grip on us if left unchecked. Breaking out initially takes a lot of courage; but definitely worth it in terms of cost savings and scalability.

Very good points.

The "what's wrong with [insert home country here]" brigade annoy me most.

They never stop moaning about their home country but when someone like myself gets up and moves or goes travelling they ask "what would you want to go there for?".

Everyone I know is either unable to get a women back home, dating something ugly or constantly moaning about the women yet when they hear I'm dating a women from Brazil / Thailand / Argentina / Vietnam that is good looking, slim, well mannered, feminine etc etc etc (basically everything the women they deal with are not) they say stupid things like "What's wrong with British women?", "You're only with her because you can't get a girl from here" or the best one "Aren't they all hookers?".

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned more with my thai girlfriend about Thailand than anywhere else in our western culture.

I think people are so stubborn and rooted in their country that they can not see anything else. they prefer to struggle and be tax to death.

anyway many will be forced to move. like Spanish moving to Africa.

Edited by Cheapcharly

I learned more with my thai girlfriend about Thailand than anywhere else in our western culture. I think people are so stubborn and rooted in their country that they can not see anything else. they prefer to struggle and be tax to death. anyway many will be forced to move. like Spanish moving to Africa.

So many words of wisdom from a poster, who according to himself is living/surviving on less than 14.000 baht a month (I especially liked your clothingbudget, second hand clothes in Thailand??)

Apart from your high IQ, what is your contribution to your relationship with your all in 1 (your words) Thai girlfriend ?

Btw. What a surprise, that you have learned more about Thailand from a Thai, than anywhere else !

• Like 1

I suggest the OP saves time and moves directly to Democratic Republic of Congo. He'll probably double the national average income as soon as he gets off the plane.

Though the average national IQ level would see a sharp and sudden drop.
Heard that there are direct flights from Thailand to Congo ! The IQ level in Thailand would see a sharp and a non expected sudden rise !

if you left for sure ,

What have i done to you ?

they could work and save for 10years or more. invest. then come to relax in thailand.

how many people can do that? all I think.

and if Thailand is too expensive, there are other cheaper countries.

when thai people tell me i am lucky to be able to live in Thailand, I say they can do the same, move to India and their 8000 bahts/month will suddenly become like 80'000 bahts. but they say they don't want to move...

China is cheap too. people tell me you can eat a menu for 1$ there. .

Lol, r u serious 8000 bhat becomes 80000 in india, plz let me know how, i will surely move backhome rather dan staying in thailand.

I am from India, New Delhi

I seek your advice please.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I think many people believe, if they stay within their home-country comfort-zone, then they'll live forever. They're wrong.

Whereas taking a risk & moving overseas will inevitably lead to an early-death. But at least it will have been a more-interesting life. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ricardo

I suggest the OP saves time and moves directly to Democratic Republic of Congo. He'll probably double the national average income as soon as he gets off the plane.

[/[/quote

Have you been there? Kinshasa is one of the most expensive cities in th world! Horrible place!

As a retired person, Thailand is a much better place to live than most western countries.

Living on a state pension is entirely possible and at a much better standard than in your home country.

And as Ricardo says, living in Thailand is much more interesting than living in the USA or Europe.

• Like 1

Family,good free medical,are the main reasons I go home to Australia twice a year.Main reason I stay in Thailand I have a nice looking girl there.I am ugly and cannot get a girl in Australia

even handsome guys can not get nice girls in western countries or Australia . why? nice girls are already married, nice girls are Gay, nice girls want babies and house. at the end you got the remaining women who are fat, ugly and lonely.

I met a nice girl in Thailand and moved with her after 2 weeks, she has everything what a man want... (all in 1). in usa I will never get a woman like that.

good on you cheapcharly , have a great life with your new g/f. dont worry about some of the posters here as they have 3 children and cannot cope with life so they take it out on people like you , but the sad thing is the have not got the guts to met you in person and hide behind a computer.

Well the way I see it he is a bit geen when it comes to the idea of come here and struggle. But I would never do that, could not. Work hard then get in a position where you can live anywhere you like is better. But why struggle anywhere. And for the 2nd point. Thats lovely me in my Avi and I would be willing to meet any poster here, heck I would even buy em a beer. Computers are for comunicating with and my laptop is much to small for me to hide behind. whistling.gif

Many of the best things in life are free.

Time is more valuable than money. No matter who you are, or what you do, you will not get any more time.

"Homeownership has been invited back by request. It seems my absence was missed. As always my views are my own and opinions I inflict on everyone."

who invited you

Edited by kevvy

What a load of cobblers, obviously written by someone who has no bloody idea. In the last 36 years, I have worked as a chief engineer in HK, Manila, Bangkok, Kunming and now Dongguan, I can assure you the costs of living have rocketed hugely. I left BKK in 2009 ONLY 4 YEARS AGO, and I visit regularly every. 2-3weeks and I notice the huge increase of COL there. Where did the OP live before, obviously not in the same world as most of us

• Like 1

I think the OP is totally naive about moving abroad and all that is involved. This is the problem, many believe the streets are paved with gold and just get on a plane, arrive and you’re in, just like that.

Firstly, if you are under 50 years old, have a small or no pension to look forward to, inadequate savings and no job arranged prior to landing here, than it`s going to be a rough ride and doubt whether that person would last long here. It is not easy, sometimes impossible to find legitimate employment or to start a business in Thailand.

Next, Thailand is not as cheap as many believe, you need dosh here and lots of it, and unless the person has a secure substantial pension to look forward to or some other very long term guaranteed substantial foreign income, that will increase later on to balance the costs of inflation & fluctuating bank foreign exchange and interest rates, plus a considerable nest egg that may be required for medical care as we get older, than it`s going to be a grim future ahead.

As for the women, gone are the days of the sweet little, loyal, subservient Thai princesses, these days the Thai girls on par with their Western counterparts. If you like women, than you need money and the price goes up the older we get.

Then there are the cultural, language, food, religious and different attitudes of the Thai people to consider. Many Westerners are unable to adapt and living in Thailand, may become one big hell of a culture shock for them.

Also what many wanting to live in Thailand hopefuls don`t realise is that when we move here, we give up most our statutory rights, which we take for granted and enjoy in our home countries. On one stroke of the pen, we can be gone within 7 days.

And this I think answers the question; why people don't come to Thailand instead to struggle in their home country?

The beauty these days is that you don't need a dreaded J-O-B. You can make money online if you're willing to do a little learning and some hard work to begin with and work wherever you have an internet connection and your laptop. Has to beat teaching English surely.

Thailand IS cheap. 

I've got a nice apartment with all mod cons, free WiFi, access to a pool and gym in a decent area just minutes walk from the BTS for 8,000B p/m. I wouldn't be possible for me to live in an apartment with a pool or gym at home.

Food costs pennies on the street or in small restaurants even going to a nicer place you can eat for under 200B. I can barely afford to eat out back home.

Drinks are cheap if bought from the right place and you avoid stupidly priced bars. I got blind drunk at Sukhumvit on single beers for less than 500B the other night. I paid 900B for a liter bottle of Red Label with ice and mixers on Saturday night. 500B would get me 3 beers back home and I couldn't afford to buy a litre of JW in a bar and even if I could the laws dictate that I'm not allowed to.

Transport is super good value. I can take a taxi right across town for 200B and the skytrain allows me to skip the traffic for 20-40B at a time. A taxi before I even get in it back home is 150B or more.

Sure it's not as cheap as it used to be perhaps but it's still cheap. Very good value for money too. I think maybe the issue why a lot of guys are suddenly finding their money not going so far or complaining about prices is they spend a lot of cash on bar girls? This will no doubt eat into your budget.

The women are not comparable to the women of the West. Not sure about loyalty as I've never looked for a girlfriend with them but they are far more feminine and sweet than their Western sisters that is for sure.

As for needing money to obtain them well maybe for the bar girls etc yes but I can only speak from my own experience (keep in mind I'm 28 so maybe it's totally different if you are 50+) but I've never found most Thai women I've encountered (all non bar girls) to be gold diggers or money grabbers.

I don't splash the cash, I don't take them to fancy places, I don't give them money or buy them things and it's never been an issue. There's no pretending I'm rich or making them think I'm going to sponsor / marry / take them away with me.

Most the ones I meet have their own cash and are willing to spend it when we go out.

Just met a girl tonight from TF. Offered to take her out for dinner and drinks but she didn't wan't to. Said she didn't like bars and that eating out was a waste of money so instead she bought street food and came to my place. I didn't spend a penny. 

Thailand is great, it's cheap, cute women are plentiful and easily obtainable, the food is good and dirt cheap, the booze is cold and great value and if you live in BKK the nightlife is some of the best in the world. People don't know what they are missing.

I think the younger guys who arent keeping up with the Jonses can really do well in Thailand between $400-1000 usd.

Did it in phuket and chumphon myself. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/509800-maats-guide-to-living-near-chumphon-town/ Several people i've met mimic this exact post. You actually get some brownie points for NOT drinking or smoking. Ran into several female expats and backpackers also: english teachers, dive instructors, translators, etc.

Not so sure when i get old and crufty, but a young male that is marginally responsible should do just fine either single or with the large buffet of available [low maintenance] thai bachelorettes.

The less people that figure this out, the more for us :D

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

8,000.00 THB = ~15,400.02 INR - how did you manage to kick it up to 80,000? Can I come to your bank? I've got some Bahts to convert at your rate!!!

Brush up your arithmetic. The Thais you advised seems to be far more knowledgeable!!!

BTW... teach us how to convert currencies, please...

Edited by ravip

Time is more valuable than money. No matter who you are, or what you do, you will not get any more time.

I retired at age 52. My motto was and remains: "you can always make more money but you can never make more time". Amazing how many people spend their lives chasing more more more money to the exclusion of doing the things that they "dream" about. I have learned to live a very pleasant life by learning to place more value on what I do rather than what I own.

I completely agree. Unfortunately for me, the things I like to do are quite often limited by what I own :-)

I retired at age 52. My motto was and remains: "you can always make more money but you can never make more time". Amazing how many people spend their lives chasing more more more money to the exclusion of doing the things that they "dream" about. I have learned to live a very pleasant life by learning to place more value on what I do rather than what I own.

I decided after graduating uni in my early 20s I probably wasn't going to get a career, settle down, get married, have kids or do any of those things you're supposed to do.

I didn't know at that time what my plan was other than to travel.

Fast forward 7 years or so and I've been to over 40 countries, spent more than half of that time on the road travelling or living abroad and not done much in the way of work bar a few short stints here and there.

Now I have a plan to sustain this and make it long term and I'm putting it into action. If it goes well I'll never have to settle down or get a 'real' job or do any of those things that sound so rubbish to me.

Edited by TheSpade

Don't encourage them. We've got too many cheap people here as it is. The other day an American was stabbed by a taxi driver because he was too cheap to pay a 50 baht fare. There are probably thousands like him here.

I think the machete wounds had a lot more to do with it. w00t.gif

Don't encourage them. We've got too many cheap people here as it is. The other day an American was stabbed by a taxi driver because he was too cheap to pay a 50 baht fare. There are probably thousands like him here.

With you, flashing your cash around, at least you not have to be worried about being stabbed !!

Trying buying a condo in any capital in amount less than 2m baht, be it any western country or asian. You dont get anything good, here at least there is good value for money. Everyone earns and spend. Its earn n burn policy here for most of locals .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am guessing because most of the world see Thailand as a corrupt third world backwater full of hookers and pedos.

This is how the media portrays Thailand so why would they think any different?

A 6 day 7 night holiday in Phuket is cheap enough, but why would you want to actually live there?

Having spent the last 12 months back in Australia I have noticed how small minded most people are.

• Like 1

Menus aren't very tasty or nutritious, especially when they've been laminated

And after you've eaten one, it takes plastic-surgery, to remove it ! Posted Image

When it comes to menus, I stick to those from Michelin restaurants. They use the best paper. :rolleyes:

Family,good free medical,are the main reasons I go home to Australia twice a year.Main reason I stay in Thailand I have a nice looking girl there.I am ugly and cannot get a girl in Australia

even handsome guys can not get nice girls in western countries or Australia . why? nice girls are already married, nice girls are Gay, nice girls want babies and house. at the end you got the remaining women who are fat, ugly and lonely.

I met a nice girl in Thailand and moved with her after 2 weeks, she has everything what a man want... (all in 1). in usa I will never get a woman like that.

good on you cheapcharly , have a great life with your new g/f. dont worry about some of the posters here as they have 3 children and cannot cope with life so they take it out on people like you , but the sad thing is the have not got the guts to met you in person and hide behind a computer.

why would anyone want to meet a cheap Charly? to get a lecture the 8,000 Baht are worth 80,000 Baht in India?

• Like 2

I decided after graduating uni in my early 20s I probably wasn't going to get a career, settle down, get married, have kids or do any of those things you're supposed to do.

I didn't know at that time what my plan was other than to travel.

Fast forward 7 years or so and I've been to over 40 countries, spent more than half of that time on the road travelling or living abroad and not done much in the way of work bar a few short stints here and there.

Now I have a plan to sustain this and make it long term and I'm putting it into action. If it goes well I'll never have to settle down or get a 'real' job or do any of those things that sound so rubbish to me.

what normally happens with people in your situation is they keep it going as long as the cash lasts. When the cash runs out that person gets a cold slap in the face and needs to get a real job and earn a real living. I've seen this happen over 100 times in LOS to the school teachers etc in their 20s and 30s. They never last more than a few years. They do talk a big game though. I remember the ones 8 years ago who lived in their bkk shoe boxes for 2500/mo (see ur 8000 place went way up in price!). some of these teachers took to attempting to scam fellow expats in the bar when the cash ran out. I remember a guy from a bar who texted me that he was in a moto accident and needed 15K for the cop desperately. It was a BS story that woulda made an Issan bargirl proud. This guy was back to the UK in a few months. He also was arrested at a border checkpoint for his bogus NON-B bought visa before the roof caved in. He was in his 30s

Life is long and doomsday always comes unless you have a monthly income source that covers expenses over the long haul. One can enjoy until the cash runs dry

Edited by Nana Cowboy
  • Like 1