Easiest way to get a credit card

Hi all,

I would like to seek your advice regarding credit card application and approval chances in ant thai bank. I have seen many offers like free EMI's for 10 months, discounts and promotions which you can opt for only if one has a thai credit card.

I have checked out with few friends about the same and they told me its pretty hard for foreigners to have one, however i have witnessed many farangs using credit cards issued by thai banks.

I have 2m baht company and a valid work permit, which bank should i approach in order to get a credit card without much hassle. On papers i have put my salary 35000 thb, however this is a new company that i have set up recently.

Any suggestions about the kind of limit offered?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have to put a deposit down. I just presented a copy of my passport, work permit, and salary certificate. That seems to be the rule with several banks. And my salary at the time was just enough to get the work permit, nothing near 150k.

It depends on the bank. My first credit card (but that was ten years ago) I actually got on a non-imm ED visa without income. I don't know whether they still do that - I wouldn't, if I were a bank. Other banks do require you to make a fixed deposit for the amount of the credit card limit you want - I wouldn't call that a "credit" card.

Edited by onthemoon

AEON state on their website that they offer credit cards to foreigners in Thailand with a two year (+) work permit. They need a work and home phone number- TOT want nearly 2000B to connect a telephone line to my house unfortunately.

Seems not an easy task to get one, however these lucrative deals push me further to enquire about cdit cards, i guess the best way out is to deposit an amount of about 70 to 100k and then get one. Based on card to card approval probably after 6 months of usage i can apply with another bank..

Thats the way it goes in my country , get one card based on it get another and so on, the best part is that the bank issuing credit card never gives li it less than the previous one you gave for reference. For eg if i give citibank credit card statements to icici then my card limit will be 170 or 200 percent of what i had with citi..

Edited by vivek130205

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same with BB ... they asked for 100,000Baht locked away. I'm on a retirement visa. They actually gave me two cards, one visa and one MasterCard.

Here's the Bangkok Bank application criteria for a credit card, whether Thai or expat: Link

Although the criteria says they are looking for at least a Bt15K/month salary I expect that really applies to Thai's and for an expat it would be a higher amount like whatever minimum amount is associated with a work permit.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limitSent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same with BB ... they asked for 100,000Baht locked away. I'm on a retirement visa. They actually gave me two cards, one visa and one MasterCard.

I am retired too. What is your credit limit?

I didn't have to put a deposit down. I just presented a copy of my passport, work permit, and salary certificate. That seems to be the rule with several banks. And my salary at the time was just enough to get the work permit, nothing near 150k.

It depends on the bank. My first credit card (but that was ten years ago) I actually got on a non-imm ED visa without income. I don't know whether they still do that - I wouldn't, if I were a bank. Other banks do require you to make a fixed deposit for the amount of the credit card limit you want - I wouldn't call that a "credit" card.

I don't have a work permit so I had a lot of roadblocks to overcome the resistance to issuing a card which I now have for me and my wife. I did have to make a fixed deposit and go through 6 or 7 trips to the bank to deal with one matter after another.

I now have a card that can use to "borrow" my money. That's all I wanted in the first place.

It simply establishes me as more of a life form in LOS than I was before its issuance.

100,000Baht. I have fought off having a credit card for years ... if you drop it in the street it's bad news!! I wanted to book a flight on the internet so needed one. I have also been with this branch for about 10 years and have a BB and Easy Buy bond with them... maybe that fact helped a bit.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limitSent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

most likely THB 100,000, they already have your money...what most people are talking about is a pre-paid "credit card" on here...not quite the same thing...as a credit card

in the case of the OP he has company and WP so the easiest way is to set up a company CC and use that...

• Like 1

scb needed to see 5 consecutive months of 100K+ salary deposited before they would give one

when I first came to Thailand to work, and I opened my Thai salary account with SCB, they gave me a credit card about two weeks after being in country and the company hadnt even made a salary deposit and I hadnt even seen a payslip....

No problem getting a "secured" Thai credit card where you must lock away a deposit of X-amount and then you get a credit line up to that deposit amount. You can be retired or working....you don't need a work permit...you just need to make a deposit which the bank locks...you can't get to any of that deposit until you cancel the card and pay off the balance...and I've heard you may not be able to get the deposit released back to you until approx. 30 days after you cancel the card/pay off any outstanding balance just in case any delayed charges/purchases come floating in. Really with a "secured" credit card you are really using your own money in a round about way vs the credit line since there is no risk for the card issuing bank....basically your deposit is your credit line.

Now for an "unsecured" Thai credit card then an expat generally needs a work permit and qualify income-wise for the card, but there is no locked deposit required. Now you can be a retiree with a big lifetime govt/private pension coming to you each month and it wouldn't make a difference...generally you could still only get a secured credit card. Maybe banks have determined expats with work permits are less likely to depart Thailand without paying off bills, maybe they can be tracked down easy, are more credit worthy, who knows. Of course you do see ThaiVisa posts where retirees have got unsecured Thai credit cards, but they are the exception, not the rule.

scb needed to see 5 consecutive months of 100K+ salary deposited before they would give one

when I first came to Thailand to work, and I opened my Thai salary account with SCB, they gave me a credit card about two weeks after being in country and the company hadnt even made a salary deposit and I hadnt even seen a payslip....

what year was that?

Unless you want a line of credit, that you will end up paying a balance on month then applying for a credit card at the bank is the way to go,

but the rules aren't set in stone. In Samui, they want to see a year of transactions in your bank book, to determine your average monthly income.

If you just want to purchase things online, and book hotels online, then the best way to go, is just apply online with Kasikorn bank. You select K-Wed Shopping card, and make your request for a line of credit. Within 24hrs you're approved to charge up to 100k per transaction.

The money is debited out of your account, but the vendor see's only a credit card number (Visa) expiration date, and the 3 digit security code.

I'd prefer this way over depositing a sum of money to secure a credit card to use on the street.

Then when I'm traveling, I just get on the iPad, and book my hotels prior to arrival, using the K-Wed shopping card, and within 10 minutes I've got a e-voucher to submit to the hotel upon checkin, and don't need anything else for the process. When I buy something online, it has worked Internationally for purchases as well. Since the online vendors see the card number as a credit card, I get the promotions offered for credit card users.

I just don't have a line of revolving credit, but I also don't have my money tied up with a long term deposit contract,

and I don't have any fee's or interest to be concerned with either.

So this works best for me.

Hope some of you find this info useful...?

Cheers

• Like 1

Here's the Bangkok Bank application criteria for a credit card, whether Thai or expat: Link

Although the criteria says they are looking for at least a Bt15K/month salary I expect that really applies to Thai's and for an expat it would be a higher amount like whatever minimum amount is associated with a work permit.

There is no minimum salary for a work permit.

what year was that?

Unless you want a line of credit, that you will end up paying a balance on month then applying for a credit card at the bank is the way to go,

but the rules aren't set in stone. In Samui, they want to see a year of transactions in your bank book, to determine your average monthly income.

If you just want to purchase things online, and book hotels online, then the best way to go, is just apply online with Kasikorn bank. You select K-Wed Shopping card, and make your request for a line of credit. Within 24hrs you're approved to charge up to 100k per transaction.

The money is debited out of your account, but the vendor see's only a credit card number (Visa) expiration date, and the 3 digit security code.

I'd prefer this way over depositing a sum of money to secure a credit card to use on the street.

Then when I'm traveling, I just get on the iPad, and book my hotels prior to arrival, using the K-Wed shopping card, and within 10 minutes I've got a e-voucher to submit to the hotel upon checkin, and don't need anything else for the process. When I buy something online, it has worked Internationally for purchases as well. Since the online vendors see the card number as a credit card, I get the promotions offered for credit card users.

I just don't have a line of revolving credit, but I also don't have my money tied up with a long term deposit contract,

and I don't have any fee's or interest to be concerned with either.

So this works best for me.

Hope some of you find this info useful...?

Cheers

Bkk bank has the same debit card can be used for booking and paying on line it's called Be1st.

Are you sure this is not a Debit Card?

I had no problem, as many have said. Show working papers and salary and its easy. I was able to get more than double my monthly salary. And that from more than one bank.

Watch out for Citibank. They LAUNCHED a marketing campaign in BKK when they opened couple years back and hooked me. I signed up and they followed up like insurance salesman to close me. I got the card and confirmed no fees were included. A year later they changed it and started to charge me fees. I challenged it and they reversed the charges quickly and painlessly. It happened every year until someone finally told me that I had to use the card to charge more than x,000 of Baht before the fees disappeared. I still dont use it. I like the points rewards from another bank more than Citibank.

Even though I dont use the card, this year they doubled my credit limit. :)

I made a mental note to go see them to see what the use threshold is before they wave the annual fee. I am not interested to pay 3,500 Baht for the privilege of using a Citibank card.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is the most common requirement for Thai banks, which is really not any benefit unless you want to show a sum of money in the bank for immigration purposes. If that is not the case, may as well simply have a debit card.

I have opted to simply use my AUS credit card whjich gets serviced from my AUS income stream.

Edited by BuriramRes

Kasikorn .. good service no drama ..

35k salary and you will get it. (no deposit or anything .. as i applied my first card i did not even had a account at kasikorn)

but they where allright with a 6 month statement from SCB

Edited by nullx8

Why youre not just using a Debit Visa Card??I think that kind of Credit Card you have seen using by many Farangs here and its easy to get,Visa or Master Card and you can pay in every Department Store,Hotels,Worldwide online.

Of course,you just dont get any Credit on it,if you dont have money in your account

But this is the easiest way

Kasikorn bank required min 50k monthly income for at least 6 months prior to application and copy of wp, passport and proof of recidence and letter from company certifying income.

They gave me 90k unsecured limit.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app