Easiest way to get a credit card

No problem getting a "secured" Thai credit card where you must lock away a deposit of X-amount and then you get a credit line up to that deposit amount. You can be retired or working....you don't need a work permit...you just need to make a deposit which the bank locks...you can't get to any of that deposit until you cancel the card and pay off the balance...and I've heard you may not be able to get the deposit released back to you until approx. 30 days after you cancel the card/pay off any outstanding balance just in case any delayed charges/purchases come floating in. Really with a "secured" credit card you are really using your own money in a round about way vs the credit line since there is no risk for the card issuing bank....basically your deposit is your credit line....... .

I have a Be 1st VISA /ATM card with BB. What is the difference between this card and a secured credit card? For security I move money online from my savings account to my "ATM" account so what advantage does the secured cc offer?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Bangkok Bank application criteria for a credit card, whether Thai or expat: Link

Although the criteria says they are looking for at least a Bt15K/month salary I expect that really applies to Thai's and for an expat it would be a higher amount like whatever minimum amount is associated with a work permit.

There is no minimum salary for a work permit.

Yes there is. Minimum salary for work permit, depends on nationality, most of asians require minimum 30k baht salary, us uk require 50 k, burma requires around 20 k. There is a minimum salary.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I showed citibank and krungsri an account with more than 1,000,000 baht in transactions for more than six months and I got turned down for not being on the shareholders list long enough, I think I've been on the list for more than a year though

No problem getting a "secured" Thai credit card where you must lock away a deposit of X-amount and then you get a credit line up to that deposit amount. You can be retired or working....you don't need a work permit...you just need to make a deposit which the bank locks...you can't get to any of that deposit until you cancel the card and pay off the balance...and I've heard you may not be able to get the deposit released back to you until approx. 30 days after you cancel the card/pay off any outstanding balance just in case any delayed charges/purchases come floating in. Really with a "secured" credit card you are really using your own money in a round about way vs the credit line since there is no risk for the card issuing bank....basically your deposit is your credit line....... .

I have a Be 1st VISA /ATM card with BB. What is the difference between this card and a secured credit card? For security I move money online from my savings account to my "ATM" account so what advantage does the secured cc offer?

There's a few advantages with having a "real" credit card.

When going abroad, debit cards usually cannot be used as a security deposit when renting a car, or when checking in a hotel.

Within Thailand, you would be amazed what deals you sometimes can get when paying stuff with credit cards. Discounts of up to 15 and 20% are not unheard of when buying big ticket items such as flat screen TV's.

The discounts are probably bankrolled by the card issuing banks (discounts can differ a lot between cards from different banks), as they know a lot (Thai) cardholders will often cover not much more then the minimum monthly dues. Meaning it's a big cash cow on interests if they can make people buy on credit...

There's a few advantages with having a "real" credit card.

When going abroad, debit cards usually cannot be used as a security deposit when renting a car, or when checking in a hotel.

Within Thailand, you would be amazed what deals you sometimes can get when paying stuff with credit cards. Discounts of up to 15 and 20% are not unheard of when buying big ticket items such as flat screen TV's.

The discounts are probably bankrolled by the card issuing banks (discounts can differ a lot between cards from different banks), as they know a lot (Thai) cardholders will often cover not much more then the minimum monthly dues. Meaning it's a big cash cow on interests if they can make people buy on credit...

The perks within Thailand would be worthwhile for me (big discounts). If in fact a secured cc qualities for these discounts, no hidden restrictions, then I will get one. Thanks.

Here's the Bangkok Bank application criteria for a credit card, whether Thai or expat: Link

Although the criteria says they are looking for at least a Bt15K/month salary I expect that really applies to Thai's and for an expat it would be a higher amount like whatever minimum amount is associated with a work permit.

Yes there is. Minimum salary for work permit, depends on nationality, most of asians require minimum 30k baht salary, us uk require 50 k, burma requires around 20 k. There is a minimum salary.

Ahh no there is not a minimum salary for work permits otherwise how do volunteers obtain one ?

Maybe you are confusing the minimum salary which is to satisfy immigration for them to issue a permission to stay extension.

Back on topic, what is the point of securing XXXX Baht in an account to be able to obtain a credit card against the amount........... not really credit is !!!

FWIW When I got mine through K-Bank they wanted to see a 2 year work permit with matching permission to stay extension along with 6 months of salary slips, it took 8 weeks for approval and I got it in 2009.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

Er no there isnt....the salary minimums are set by immigration for the extension of stay for work, not for your WP, which is issued by the DOL, so Spoonman is correct....

If your working and dont want to "visa run" every 90 days and only do 90 day reports, then the minimums apply, as its immigration who grants the extension...however if you are prepared to visa run every 90 days then there is no minimum salary for WP issue

This is the legal position, but as another poster pointed out some DOL's are using the immigration stated minimums in the WP isssue process, but legally speaking this is not required..so it would depend on the DOL your dealing with...

If your comment was true then how would a volunteer get a WP...as they are not being paid ?

Ahh no there is not a minimum salary for work permits otherwise how do volunteers obtain one ?

Maybe you are confusing the minimum salary which is to satisfy immigration for them to issue a permission to stay extension.

Back on topic, what is the point of securing XXXX Baht in an account to be able to obtain a credit card against the amount........... not really credit is !!!

FWIW When I got mine through K-Bank they wanted to see a 2 year work permit with matching permission to stay extension along with 6 months of salary slips, it took 8 weeks for approval and I got it in 2009.

SP..sorry jumped in on your posts about the WP...tongue.png

I suppose the secured CC method could be useful if one is trying to build up a credit history in Thailand ?...but your correct....securing XXXX amount in an account is not really credit, you have paid up front thats all, either all of it or a big portion of it

I am retired too. What is your credit limit?

100,000Baht. I have fought off having a credit card for years ... if you drop it in the street it's bad news!! I wanted to book a flight on the internet so needed one. I have also been with this branch for about 10 years and have a BB and Easy Buy bond with them... maybe that fact helped a bit.

"if you drop it in the street it's bad news!!"

In the US, credit cards are protected against fraud by law. If you lose it, and contact the bank in a timely manner, you're not responsible for the fraudulent charges if any show up.

I assume that is not the case here in Thailand?

• Like 1

You said you have business. What bank do you use? I would deal with that bank. If they can't help you change banks.

We live in Angthong. I am retired. For years my wife and I dealt with Bangkok Bank. When Bank of America began charging a fee for foreign transactions I wanted to get a credit card in Thailand. Since I have no work permit and my wife and I have no income in Thailand Bangkok Bank refused to give us a credit card. I went to Kasikorn Bank and told them I wanted to get a credit card and would move my deposits to K-Bank. The application was first rejected for the same reasons as Bangkok Bank. The branch manager called the head office and said she knows and trusts me. The application was approved.

We still have 2 accounts at Bangkok Bank for transfers through Bangkok Bank in New York. We maintain a balance of 200 baht in each account. Every time a transfer comes in we immediately withdraw it and deposit it in K-Bank.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same with BB ... they asked for 100,000Baht locked away. I'm on a retirement visa. They actually gave me two cards, one visa and one MasterCard.

That's correct,, when i inquired about getting a Credit Card with Bangkok Bank i could not understand their answers but later asked my friend who translated to me that they need another Bank account with the money you will use with the credit card so 2 Bank account books, i'm still thinking about it, not in too much hurry because if my girlfriend gets her claws on it she will blow the lot in a blink, it's good to have a credit card to use for booking Hotels and flights on-line and not have to pay currency conversion fees on my foreign Credit Card. Thank you.

I put $5,000 USD in Bangkok Bank as escrow for a 150,000 TBH limit Credit Card, no problem. Good to use as a Credit Card, but cash advances cost like hell in fees. So I use as CC and only draw money in an emergency. I have a retirement visa and do not work in LOS.

Thaiairways ofer also visa card I read on big banners in bk airport but don't know conditions!

Advice never book your hotel online with a apple computer on big hotel websites!

I read one time price can be 20 procent higher, then booked from a win pc no joke!

The statistic say apple users are more rich then others, so this why price can be higher I read in the report!

How many procent the thai bank charges for borrow money on a real credit card?

Thaiairways ofer also visa card I read on big banners in bk airport but don't know conditions!

Advice never book your hotel online with a apple computer on big hotel websites!

I read one time price can be 20 procent higher, then booked from a win pc no joke!

The statistic say apple users are more rich then others, so this why price can be higher I read in the report!

Thai Airways is not a credit card company. They co-brand with a number of companies, such as Amex and Citibank.

You said you have business. What bank do you use? I would deal with that bank. If they can't help you change banks.

We live in Angthong. I am retired. For years my wife and I dealt with Bangkok Bank. When Bank of America began charging a fee for foreign transactions I wanted to get a credit card in Thailand. Since I have no work permit and my wife and I have no income in Thailand Bangkok Bank refused to give us a credit card. I went to Kasikorn Bank and told them I wanted to get a credit card and would move my deposits to K-Bank. The application was first rejected for the same reasons as Bangkok Bank. The branch manager called the head office and said she knows and trusts me. The application was approved.

We still have 2 accounts at Bangkok Bank for transfers through Bangkok Bank in New York. We maintain a balance of 200 baht in each account. Every time a transfer comes in we immediately withdraw it and deposit it in K-Bank.

Yes, Bangkok Bank is probably the worst, as they require you to put the amount you want as a credit limit up as a fixed account.

K-Bank is probably the most customer-friendly, they gave me a Visa credit card before I even had a job.

Most banks require you to have a work permit, and you have to hand in a statement of account and a salary slip.

I showed citibank and krungsri an account with more than 1,000,000 baht in transactions for more than six months and I got turned down for not being on the shareholders list long enough, I think I've been on the list for more than a year though

Did you apply for a company credit card or for a private one?

AEON state on their website that they offer credit cards to foreigners in Thailand with a two year (+) work permit. They need a work and home phone number- TOT want nearly 2000B to connect a telephone line to my house unfortunately.

I don't know how much it costs to connect a phone line these days, but if "nearly 2000B" is a problem, maybe there are other reasons you don't qualify for a credit card.

No joke you say. But it made me laugh.

Now I have read articles that Apple IOS/Iphone/IPad users are much more likely to buy "Paid" Apps than Android smartphone/tablet users like me. Don't know if that is because there is a higher Paid to Free Apple Apps ratio than the Android Paid to Free Apps ratio (whatever those ratios may really be), Apple folks tend to have more money (or bigger credit cards line of credit) than us poor Android folks, the Apple Paid Apps are just significantly better than the Apple Free Apps, etc. Who knows for sure, I sure don't and probably the people who wrote the articles don't know for sure either.

But credit cards definitely come in handy and sometimes they are just flat-out needed to buy things online, make airline/hotel/rental card reservations, etc. While debit cards can many times meet such needs; in some cases they can't especially when trying to buy or reserve certain products/services online.

Go to SCB or Kasikorn.Give them your passport copy etc: etc: along with 100,000 Baht."Fixed Deposit".

They will then give you 50,000 Baht Platinum Credit Card. Give them 500,000 get 250,000.

Bet they only ask for same amount of credit required from Thais not double for security.Ludicrous!!!!!!

Takes 2 weeks.

Is there any reason, why thai airways not accept any thai or debit cards, I read last time in the inflight book

I recently paid for a Thai Airways international flight online with my Kasikorn Visa debit card.

Some companies don't like using debit card....the much prefer credit cards. Various reason I guess, but take a look at the Thrifty Rental car webpage where they talk about debit and credit cards. Link.

You'll see from the page that for Thrifty it boils down to credit risk since most anybody can get a debit card by just opening a bank account with an opening deposit of a few dollars/baht/euro...even those people with terrible credit, a record of skipping out on bills, etc. But to get credit card a person goes through credit checks and usually receives a line of credit of X-thousand dollars/baht/euro/etc., even if they only got one dollar/baht/etc., in their bank account.

The company gets paid from the issuing credit card bank/company and then the monkey is on your card issuing bank/company to get repaid through that monthly credit card bill they send you. With a debit card if the charge bounces due to insufficient funds in your bank/brokerage account (probably much less likely with credit card accounts) then it just creates more headaches for them and probably most importantly lost revenue. Yeap, many companies just prefer credit cards over debit cards for various reasons, but a big reason is less risk with a credit card.

Here's a Nation news article on recent credit card approval rates by one Thai bank. Link

A partial quote from the article follows:

Yuttachai said UOB was aware of the debt burden of consumers, and rejected credit-card applicants who have high debt-to-income ratios. The credit-card approval rate year to date has declined to 40 per cent from 45 per cent last year, and most applicants have incomes lower than Bt25,000 a month, he said.

About 70 per cent the 600,000 credit cards issued by UOB (Thai) are held by people with monthly incomes of more than Bt25,000.

KTC seem to have simple requirements. http://www.ktc.co.th/en/ktc/IndividualCustomers/credit/index.htm#

KTC Visa Classic

Applicant Qualifications

Primary Card
bullet_violet   Must be at least 20 years old.
bullet_violet   Minimum income of 40,000 Baht per month.

Supplementary Card
bullet_violet   Must be at least 18 years old
bullet_violet   Attach a copy of citizen ID card with the application form.

Required Documents for Application

In the case of regular employees:
bullet_doc   Copy of citizen ID card or copy of government official or state enterprise card along with a copy of house registration.
bullet_doc   Certified monthly salary statement/ monthly salary slip
or certified latest withholding tax receipt (Bis.50).
bullet_doc   Copy of bank statement backdated 6 months that includes the front page of the passbook which states your name and bank account number.

In the case of foreign nationals that are working/business persons in Thailand, the following additional documents are needed:
bullet_doc   Please attach a copy of your passport and work permit (at least 2 years).

In the case of business owners or freelance professionals, the following additional documents are needed:
bullet_doc   Copy of bank statement backdated 6 months that includes the front page of the passbook which states your name and bank account number.
bullet_doc   Certified copy of business registration.
bullet_doc   Copy of shareholders list.