Easiest way to get a credit card

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasikorn offered me a CC also without a work permit.

This card here:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/TH/Personal/TheWisdom/Pages/Home.aspx

Just wanted me to open a fixed deposit for 800.000Baht

LOL!

But that is the prestigious Wisdom card. They gave me a "normal" credit card without work permit when I was a student with a non-imm ED visa. They also required me to have an account with that branch, so I opened an Savings Account and depostited THB 1,000.

This was ten years ago. I am still using that card, and I have a work permit now so they increased the limit. Things may have changed since I first got this card though.

• 2 weeks later...

It helps to know if your Home country bank is affiliated with a bank in TH.

Make an inquiry to Thanachart Bank in Bkk..they are affiliated with Scotia Bank in CA..

As you have valid work permit already in Thailand, we are pleased to inform that you are eligible to apply for our credit card. We do have multiple card products to suit your lifestyle and we can discuss these when you are back in thailand to help with your selection.

There are minimum income requirements (THB 50,000), age ranges ( 20-70 years) and standard documentation to prove your existing or proposed employment / salary payments / residency / nationality which we will discuss when you arrive in Thailand. Please bring originals of the above along with your 2 recent passport size photographs and valid work permit to help us complete our application form. If some documents are not available, we will still start the application process with our sales team to follow up at your convenience to fulfill the requirements.

I had no problem, as many have said. Show working papers and salary and its easy. I was able to get more than double my monthly salary. And that from more than one bank.

Watch out for Citibank. They LAUNCHED a marketing campaign in BKK when they opened couple years back and hooked me. I signed up and they followed up like insurance salesman to close me. I got the card and confirmed no fees were included. A year later they changed it and started to charge me fees. I challenged it and they reversed the charges quickly and painlessly. It happened every year until someone finally told me that I had to use the card to charge more than x,000 of Baht before the fees disappeared. I still dont use it. I like the points rewards from another bank more than Citibank.

Even though I dont use the card, this year they doubled my credit limit. smile.png

I made a mental note to go see them to see what the use threshold is before they wave the annual fee. I am not interested to pay 3,500 Baht for the privilege of using a Citibank card.

If memory serves me ... it is 300k per year for citi card in order to avoid any annual fees.

It is the only one I have that has any annual fee, but benefits are ok and have been able to avoid the anual fees for the last full years.

They are also the only Thai cc I have that has been giving out automatic increases in credit line... for the others that are through Thai banks, they advise that you have to bring in updated payslips and apply for any increase.

I do not really need the increases, so not worth the time to go through the process with any of the other cards, but it is nice to have "just in case".

They are also the only Thai cc I have that has been giving out automatic increases in credit line... for the others that are through Thai banks, they advise that you have to bring in updated payslips and apply for any increase.

I do not really need the increases, so not worth the time to go through the process with any of the other cards, but it is nice to have "just in case".

Kasikorn doubled my credit line twice already with no inquiry from my side,

but at Kasikorn its the same, you need to use the card to avoid the fees (but its just 50k or so on a Titanium card)

kasikorn also grants short therm credit (more creditline) in a temporary basis with just one phonecall ... thats quite a good thing in emergencies. (of course that works only if the bills are paid and the card is not maxed out) ;)

also have a AEON Card .. (not really a bank) .. they play very nicely if you travel arround in matters of fees. but they wont ever get you more credit and i think there is only 1 smart and 1 english speaking staff, lucky its the same person .. so everything is allright there as well .. ;).

I am retired too. What is your credit limit?

100,000Baht. I have fought off having a credit card for years ... if you drop it in the street it's bad news!! I wanted to book a flight on the internet so needed one. I have also been with this branch for about 10 years and have a BB and Easy Buy bond with them... maybe that fact helped a bit.

"if you drop it in the street it's bad news!!"

In the US, credit cards are protected against fraud by law. If you lose it, and contact the bank in a timely manner, you're not responsible for the fraudulent charges if any show up.

I assume that is not the case here in Thailand?

Indeed it does not appear to be the same in Thailand, and there have been many posts here describing ludicrous behaviour from the banks, denying any reasonable responsibility. You don't even need to lose the card to lose a lot of money judging from numerous posts here.

Unfortunately almost all foreign credit cards seem to have a foreign transaction fee of around 2% or more, with the exception of a few USA-based credit cards which afaik are only available to people from the USA. I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limitSent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same with BB ... they asked for 100,000Baht locked away. I'm on a retirement visa. They actually gave me two cards, one visa and one MasterCard.

BB usually ask for double your credit limit to be locked in, so I would imagine it's 50,000 Baht.

I put 60k on 1 year deposit and used that as the guarantee for the credit card which arrived in 3 weeks with a 60k limitSent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same with BB ... they asked for 100,000Baht locked away. I'm on a retirement visa. They actually gave me two cards, one visa and one MasterCard.

BB usually ask for double your credit limit to be locked in, so I would imagine it's 50,000 Baht.

No it's 100,000 ... I have just paid off last months bill of 95000+ .... hope not to get another month like that. Last month was an exception as I had three teeth crowned ... ouch.