Senior Thai monks want more proof before taking action

webfact

LUANG PU NENKHAM
Senior monks want more proof before taking action

Pongpat Traipipat,
Chanikarn Phumhirun
The Nation

30209997-01_big.JPG

Jet-setter still safe despite DSI investigative report accusing him of fathering child with minor

BANGKOK: -- Senior monks have decided not to terminate Luang Pu Nenkham's status as a Buddhist monk until additional evidence is provided.

Luang Pu Nenkham is accused of having a sexual relationship with a minor and fathering a child. If this can be proved, he will be forced to give up his saffron robes and face legal action because the girl was only 15 at the time of the alleged relationship.

Senior monks in Si Sa Ket yesterday convened a meeting to discuss the evidence gathered by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

The DSI submitted its report to the Si Sa Ket monastic chief on Sunday because Wat Pa Khanti Dhamma, where Luang Pu Nenkham serves as an abbot, is located in that province.

Phra Khru Watcharasittikhun, secretary to the Si Sa Ket monastic chief, said yesterday that the senior monks had looked into the report and have decided to wait for more evidence before making any decisions.

"We will request more information from the DSI," he said.

Weera Daosee, an academic at the Si Sa Ket Buddhism Office, suggested that it would take DNA results or the monk's confession to warrant the termination of Luang Pu Nenkham's monkhood.

According to Weera, the monk has yet to be proven guilty.

Luang Pu Nenkham has been at the centre of much negative publicity after a video clip of him enjoying a ride on a private jet and carrying a luxury bag, caught the media spotlight.

Several people have since come forward to file allegations against him, though he has yet to show up or respond.

DSI senior official Pol Lt-Colonel Pong-in Intarakhao said yesterday that there was enough evidence to prove that Luang Pu Nenkham had been sexually involved with a 15-year-old girl.

"We will forward our investigation to the local police so they can take further action," he said.

He added that DSI officials would also arrange DNA tests for the girl who said she was sexually involved with Luang Pu Nenkham, and for her son.

"We will also look into his financial status and transactions," Pong-in said, adding that it is believed the monk was engaged in shady businesses given that he seems to own several luxury vehicles.

Pong-in said the DSI would also summon the pilot who provided some hints about the monk's suspicious behaviour, such as carrying huge sums of foreign currency.

"The DSI will work with relevant authorities in solving this case," he said.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Election Commission has recommended that the Election Commission ask the Bangkok city clerk to consider taking action against Sukhum Wongprasit, one of Luang Pu Nenkham's followers. Sukhum may be charged with perjury and deceiving voters by claiming that he was a PhD holder during his gubernatorial campaign.

The Education Ministry has never certified the World Peace University, which granted him the honorary doctorate.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-09

He added that DSI officials would also arrange DNA tests for the girl who said she was sexually involved with Luang Pu Nenkham, and for her son.

Testing her sons DNA I can understand, but the testing the girl will reveal what exactly?

I would imagine it is to prove the boy is actually her son and leave no doubt that Nenkham had sex with a minor

• Like 1

Testing her sons DNA I can understand, but the testing the girl will reveal what exactly?

I would imagine it is to prove the boy is actually her son and leave no doubt that Nenkham had sex with a minor

Arthur Scargill ?

Whether the girl is really the mother? The possibility that this is a set up has to be eliminated.

The monk is based in Si Sa Ket and owns several luxury vehicles. And Si Sa Ket is in the headlines over what? Flying a kite I know, but .................

....this is beyond reality......

...all assets should have been seized by now....and traced....

...the banks know whose name the accounts are in...so they are accomplices as well.....

...this corruption and hypocrisy is sickening......

• Like 1

....this is beyond reality......

...all assets should have been seized by now....and traced....

...the banks know whose name the accounts are in...so they are accomplices as well.....

...this corruption and hypocrisy is sickening......

I doubt they can seize his assets to be honest. Everything is freely given.