warning there's a snake in your garden.

every time we get a snake in the garden we get the warning from the birds,2 in the last 7days,

1 keelback and yesterday 1 in the summer house roof what i saw of it it looked like a bronze back racer.the birds make such a noise and watch it where ever it goes.

Snakes in Thailand, generally will try to get away from you. If they see you, they run.

Rattlesnakes and water moccasins from the U.S. will generally stand their ground, making them more dangerous as they seem not to be afraid of humans.

So here on my land in Ubon, the snakes I see don't hang around long after I see them. It's only when I corner them, that I can kill them. Most get away.

I also hate snakes, but feel more comfortable being around Thai snakes as they will try to avoid you.

I also had two cobra's in my yard, one at the bottom of my steps going up to the patio and the other day one under the house. Killed both of them. The first one I didn't know what kind of snake it was but I thought some kind of Cobra but when the second one was found I made sure to find out what kind of snake. These monocled Cobra's snakes are danageours and I have two cats and one puppy and I don't want anything to happen to them. The puppy would want to play with that snake and end up getting bit..

• Like 2

Have only seen a couple of snakes (one huge) near but not on my property - but this post got me thinking about what I would use to dispatch one.....shovel? About all I have in the house are my baseball bats.....do have a machette but that seems too close.....a gun with birdshot would be nice but no can do here.....

What do you use?

Have only seen a couple of snakes (one huge) near but not on my property - but this post got me thinking about what I would use to dispatch one.....shovel? About all I have in the house are my baseball bats.....do have a machette but that seems too close.....a gun with birdshot would be nice but no can do here.....

What do you use?

I had a 10 ft length of the blue pipe used for all plumbing needs here, and threaded some rope through it with a noose-loop at the end that I can pull tight. Not had much chance to use it though as they are mostly over the wall before I can catch them. As stated they do seem to want to avoid people. I am wary of cobras as if I did get a bite I am sure the Bangkok - Pattaya hospital would want to see cash up front before digging out any serum!

What do you use?

I "use" my Bull Terrier. He nails just about anything stupid enough to enter our garden, cats, birds and of course, snakes (and yes, the frog was inside the snake).

PC060063Large_zpsb62a2e53.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

We have black monocled Cobra's visit most every week, had so many of them now its hardly an event any more, we get out the snake hook and nets also the loop thingy and throw them back over the wall back into the jungle. Had 1 1/2 mtr black cobra swimming up and down the pool a couple of weeks back, spitting at us as we tried to get him out.

A few of our visitors:

Where about in thailand do you live, Snake visit every week !!!! That is horrify for me.

A guy in my village told me that one morning he was leaving his house, there was a snake as thick as his thigh blocking his front door. I asked him what he did then. He said: "I left through the back door of course."

I asked him what happened with the snake. He said he didn`t know because it wasn`t there anymore when he came home in the afternoon.....

I would be shitting myself going into my bed...biggrin.png

• Like 2

What do you use?

I use my faithful Wilkinson garden rake -- never failed so far

Many people are bitten by snakes when trying to kill them, but in nearly all cases the snake does have to be dispatched. Humans are not their natural food, and nearly all of the time they are just as scared of you as you are of them. But if cornered they will defend themselves and therefore bite. I lived in the bush in Australia and saw numerous snakes and kept pythons (non venomous) in the grain shed to keep the mice under control - more effective than cats.

But I agree that there are aggressive snakes (Taipan and King Browns in Australia, Rattlers in the US etc) and when my children were young I killed the aggressive ones - use a thick but flexible length of wire and hit it behind the head. But the best killer was my blue heeler dog - and he was never bitten.

Cobras can be a problem in Asia - they were in the suburbs in Kuala Lumpur and would come into the house in dry periods looking for water. I don't have much experience in Thailand yet but I guess they do the same? As I will be living in the country in Isaan I will have my trusty length of wire handy in case its absolutely necessary to kill.

• Like 1

A guy in my village told me that one morning he was leaving his house, there was a snake as thick as his thigh blocking his front door. I asked him what he did then. He said: "I left through the back door of course."

I asked him what happened with the snake. He said he didn`t know because it wasn`t there anymore when he came home in the afternoon.....

That's my technique.. went out my front door one morning, very large snake on my porch, not having a back door, went out the window. cheesy.gif

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 2

Not to hijack, but anyone know what this snake is? It was on our road two days ago.

attachicon.gifSnake Body.jpgattachicon.gifSnake Head.jpg

Definitely not a Russels Viper as somebody posted. If it was a Russels Viper you'd better stay away.

I'm sure this is an Oriental Rat Snake (Ptyas mucosa). Not venomous! Very common.

EDIT: Only now I read somebody else gave sort of the same answer.

Edited by onflipflops
  • Like 1