PM Yingluck wants Thais living overseas to promote Thainess to the world

webfact

Thais are very good at looking out for one another abroad, much more so than many other nationalities. I have seen this at many universities.

What I have not seen is Thais making any kind of positive contribution to disadvantaged people in the country they reside in. Personally I think it would be nice if Thais saw themselves as people of the world more often and not unique and different because they are Thai. Give something back to people of the world, not just Thai people.

Sent from my LT29i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thais are very good at looking out for one another abroad, much more so than many other nationalities. I have seen this at many universities.

What I have not seen is Thais making any kind of positive contribution to disadvantaged people in the country they reside in. Personally I think it would be nice if Thais saw themselves as people of the world more often and not unique and different because they are Thai. Give something back to people of the world, not just Thai people.

Sent from my LT29i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The majority of Thais "don't" make any positive contribution to the people inside Thailand so why would they step outside the norm anywhere else?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thainess, let see dumping your trash on the side of road and burning it, nose picking, no toilet paper in the bathroom only on your dinning table and the catch all excuse for doing something the wrong is that is the Thai way. Thainess, buy your food to go in plastic bags with rubber bands and leaving food out to spoil before you eat it again. P and nong.... nah!

Okay, before I go on a sarcastic rant: what -in the name of <deleted>- is "Thainess?

Fake smiles? The inability to tell the straight- out truth, accept criticism or advice (from farang, especially) and say "sorry" if you made a mistake?

Or is it that fake ideal of respecting elders (at all costs! And I mean ALL costs!), love children (but do everything to get them killed, from disastrous food to the no- helmet policy on motorbikes?) and generally see Thailand as the center of the known universe?

The cute folklore-stuff, like praying to a river- godess, instead of putting together a team of experts to longlastingly fight flooding?

The constant denial about prostitution, no matter if it is in your face on Patpong or hidden in a brothel upcountry?

I could go on and on and on and on and....

And you would not think of living anywhere else ! clap2.gif

I think more practical advice would be more useful. Such as what to say when people ask why there are so many prostitutes in Thailand. And how is it that the Thai PM is the sister of a "self exiled" fugitive who is actually running the country. That sort of thing.

In my work I meet a lot of people who travel, family types included, not just sex tourists and sexpats. They usually think of Thailand by what they see. This includes sexpats and sex tourists. Very, very few of them would even go near any comment about Thai politics or politicians.

I have very clever Thai friends who know a lot about it and even then, really cannot understand.

If we have a predominantly negative attitude, we will see negatives everywhere. If we have a predominantly positive attitude we will see positives everywhere.

If we are looking for problems to solve or people we can assist we will find them.

I have quite good friends who support orphanages here and travel here twice a year from Australia to attend them.

The thing I have noticed most predominantly in Thai Visa Forum, apart from the excellent advice regarding visas to be found here, is an almost overwhelming community of Thai bashers.

Serious, dedicated bashers who appear to be waiting like vultures on a fence, for the

next piece of negative news to drop into their inbox, to pounce upon, to say, there, you see, what a terrible place this is and what idiots Thai people are.

If most of these people either live here or visit here often, it really makes me wonder why they come at all.

Can someone please explain?

Yeah, too many unhappy stupids I guess.

Fully agree with your comments.

24 years in Thailand and the only people who have done me or my business harm are foreigners..........

Sad admission actually.

• Like 1

PM wants Thais living overseas to promote Thainess to the world

BANGKOK, 10 July 2013 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has told Thai students studying overseas to help promote and propagate “Thainess” to the world, while expressing her concerns over the well-being of Thais living abroad.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Barbie is dumb,.... but her TWIN Sister is dumber than the brain police psychiatrist allows cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

The reason why a major part of Thais moved out is BECAUSE the system in Thailand is so SCREEEEEEWED UP the BEHINDS

Welcome to the 21st century, where private social media networks can spread AND exploit A LOT of Thailand's baddest, maddest and most crucial and most ridiculous politicians on a global scale

XXXXpect a Thai overseas-XXXXploitation campaign in the private global International scale....

The Thais in the States don't want Thainess look at the reception they gave Thaksin.

In away are they not promoting Thainess by leaving the country to get an education. When the colleges are much cheaper here.

From some of the stories I have heard she should be doing more for the Thais who were lured out of the country to work on jobs with fantastic benefits. In reality found them selves used as slaves. Farm hands maids and others.

I guess they don't count to her as they are hidden behind walls and out on remote farms.

Please NO. Promoting Thainess? Get real, there's a reason why young American-Thai adults often disassociate themselves from young Thai adults who come overseas on a student Visa.

First, Thai people are extremely superficial and they judge other people based on their appearance and financial status. Which is why you would see almost every Thai aspiring to purchase a European car despite automechanics (such as myself) advising them not to because parts and maintenance are expensive in the US. The women think they're the cream of the crop and the guys believe they're some superstar who have the prestigious opportunity to be in a first world country. Look at the Thai dramas and it's no wonder why the culture based on superficiality

Second, Thai people love gossiping and cheating. It's ingrained into the culture and if you've lived in Thailand, you would know what I'm talking about.

Promoting Thainess would entail what exactly? More Thai food restaurants that has saturated every neighborhood?

Buddhism that is monk centric? We've seen how that turned out. I think the PM needs to stop worrying about promoting anything and do her damn job.

Every so many weeks the belgian police invaids thai massage salons for human trafficking and sex slave labour,and after that the so called ex pattaya hookers would cry innocence to lokal goverment officials saying i was forced in to this and get a permit to stay longer and get full benifits and after this said woman will just start again in another salon.

When looking online and lokal ads there are apparently more thai hookers working than any other nationality in my country .

Thats thainess for you miss dubai.

• Like 1

Los Angeles is home to the largest Thai diaspora outside of Thailand, and is also home to the worlds only "Thai Town." It is on Hollywood Blvd, between Normandie and Western ave, on a 6 block stretch of shops, restaurants, and massage parlors. Each year, they host the LA Songkran festival, and have a Muay Thai ring in the center of Hollywood Blvd, along with BKK style food vendors, beauty pageants, and Thai pop stars. Historically, East Hollywood has been an economically undernourished area, and a gateway for immigrants. Now it is home to over 120,000 Thais, who come to LA for work, school, etc. Most of the Thais that make it to the States are from BKK and are of middle class or hi-so origins. Not many Isaan girls, except for the ones who made it over on a fiance visa.

Thai Town LA has become a major tourist draw to East Hollywood, and every night, the restaurants are packed. There is also the largest Thai Buddhist temple in the USA in North Hollywood. The Wat Thai of LA has a school attached and offers Thai language courses to anyone who wants to learn. There are a sizable number of Muay Thai gyms in the LA area that are run by retired Thai boxers from Bangkok. These things greatly contribute to spreading the Thai cultural meme in the USA.

This idea of promoting "Thainess" is a major event every year in LA during the Songkran festival. The Thai consulate sets up a large tent replete with info on Thai-US partnership and history. It is a fun time and it is one of the things I appreciate about LA--that I can have a simulacrum of Bangkok even when I come home.

In addition, former first lady Laura Bush designated Thai Town LA as part of the "Preserve America" program, which entitled it to special grants worth up to 250,000 USD for decorations like Thai style street lamps adorned with angels and gold leaf (instead of street lamps that don't always work--which would be more authentic). There is definitely a sense of neighborhood pride in Thai Town and you should pay it a visit if you ever come to LA.

Missing from Thai town are tuk tuks,and air that smells like diesel fumes and fish sauce--but if you go to the right bars, you will find a few packs of ladyboys--which almost makes Thai town LA seem like the real thing.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

Typical ignorant comment. They need to lift their game here in Thailand to gain the confidence and respect of Western Nations, something they are losing very quickly. For those Farangs living here who knock farangs being negative; you need to open your eyes and get out a bit. This country is going downhill very quickly. That is the opinion of many farangs l know, no just mine.

• Like 2

Thai students are temporarily overseas. This message must be directed at people truly living overseas and that narrows it down to Thai restaurant owners. Apparently they are expected put a push cart on the street, making sure not to get a license, and sell food from uncovered pots and pans with no running water for washing hands and utensils while stealing electricity from the nearest utility pole.

Those very few that do not own or work in Thai restaurants can spread Thainess by making sure to let the door swing closed into the person behind and taking every precaution not to use the words please or excuse me.

5555 Yeah, I can imagine my council health inspector's reaction to that. I'll ask her about it next time she's berating me for the one centimetre hole next to the light fitting which creates a non fully sealed kitchen .... or the couple of grains of uncooked rice she found by crawling almost the whole way under the bench.

Next to her, Thainess is a walk in the park.

Three young Thai hi-so uni students (girls) are regular customers of ours and live just nearby our shop in a swanky penthouse owned (not rented) by the father of one of them. Very nice girls but I'm not sure they're into the whole Thainess thing, spreading their leader's word or even studying for that matter - they seem to spend most of their days walking around in bikini tops & shorts and hanging out at nightclubs at night.

Where is your shop?

Typical ignorant comment. They need to lift their game here in Thailand to gain the confidence and respect of Western Nations, something they are losing very quickly. For those Farangs living here who knock farangs being negative; you need to open your eyes and get out a bit. This country is going downhill very quickly. That is the opinion of many farangs l know, no just mine.

• Like 1

I think more practical advice would be more useful. Such as what to say when people ask why there are so many prostitutes in Thailand. And how is it that the Thai PM is the sister of a "self exiled" fugitive who is actually running the country. That sort of thing.

And stuff like: The most efficient way to push a boat full of refugees back out into the open water. Or the proper technique for palming a bribe. Or how to kill a policeman or rival politician in broad daylight with witnesses and never even see what a prison looks likes. So many skills to offer the world, so few Thainess emissaries.

Okay, before I go on a sarcastic rant: what -in the name of <deleted>- is "Thainess?

Fake smiles? The inability to tell the straight- out truth, accept criticism or advice (from farang, especially) and say "sorry" if you made a mistake?

Or is it that fake ideal of respecting elders (at all costs! And I mean ALL costs!), love children (but do everything to get them killed, from disastrous food to the no- helmet policy on motorbikes?) and generally see Thailand as the center of the known universe?

The cute folklore-stuff, like praying to a river- godess, instead of putting together a team of experts to longlastingly fight flooding?

The constant denial about prostitution, no matter if it is in your face on Patpong or hidden in a brothel upcountry?

I could go on and on and on and on and....

Okay, enough of the facts, give us your sarcastic rant now. smile.png

LOL +1

In my work I meet a lot of people who travel, family types included, not just sex tourists and sexpats. They usually think of Thailand by what they see. This includes sexpats and sex tourists. Very, very few of them would even go near any comment about Thai politics or politicians.

I have very clever Thai friends who know a lot about it and even then, really cannot understand.

If we have a predominantly negative attitude, we will see negatives everywhere. If we have a predominantly positive attitude we will see positives everywhere.

If we are looking for problems to solve or people we can assist we will find them.

I have quite good friends who support orphanages here and travel here twice a year from Australia to attend them.

The thing I have noticed most predominantly in Thai Visa Forum, apart from the excellent advice regarding visas to be found here, is an almost overwhelming community of Thai bashers.

Serious, dedicated bashers who appear to be waiting like vultures on a fence, for the

next piece of negative news to drop into their inbox, to pounce upon, to say, there, you see, what a terrible place this is and what idiots Thai people are.

If most of these people either live here or visit here often, it really makes me wonder why they come at all.

24 years in Thailand and the only people who have done me or my business harm are foreigners..........

Sad admission actually.

I will bow to your longevity and experience,and i feel the same as u,only 10 years though in the beautiful Pattaya

I know several Thais here in Florida. They do not want to leave because they are making good money with their businesses and yes Prime Minister we are taking care of them probably better than you can in your own country, maybe that is the reason they choose to stay.

And stuff like: The most efficient way to push a boat full of refugees back out into the open water. Or the proper technique for palming a bribe. Or how to kill a policeman or rival politician in broad daylight with witnesses and never even see what a prison looks likes. So many skills to offer the world, so few Thainess emissaries.

More skills:

How to spot whether the hand groping your crotch is a girl's or a ladyboy's.
How to position your food cart on the sidewalk to leave only enough space for a scooter to squeeze by.
How to make a uni skirt even shorter and tighter.

Sad admission actually.

Why were you addressing my post?

Do you think there aren't many prostitutes in Thailand?

Do you think Thailand isn't world famous for its sex industry?

Do you think the current PM is in office based on MERIT?

Is it "bashing" to reflect TRUE things?

Do you think living in Thailand means escaping from objective realities?

Do you think there are too many western homosexuals in Thailand with their " rent boys " ???

I was responding to another poster, not you, but nontheless, I appreciate your comments on the gay abuse scene, you know, older guys , younger boys, ( still legal, of legal age of course, but good actors to extract the $$ from aged foreigners.)

What is your take on that ???

To answer your questions above, NO to all.

Silly.

Edited by philw

Interesting all the negativity..I know first hand the PM does have a deep interest in the welfare of Thai students overseas and does make sincere efforts to encourage the education sector and foreign investment...

Thank you three times

• Like 1

Interesting all the negativity..I know first hand the PM does have a deep interest in the welfare of Thai students overseas and does make sincere efforts to encourage the education sector and foreign investment...

What hand did she use?

Students, that concludes the ceremony... however as part of our final day we are going to hear from Pornchai whom many of you know, about his native Thailand .

Pornchai welcome.. please tell us about your home...

Swaasdee krup everyone.. allot of you know me so let me start by telling you about Thailand..

Its a great place... the capital is Bangkok and the traffic is terrible.... yes there are plenty of taxi's but most are driven by people whose last job was behind a water buffalo and quite often they have guns and knives and just last week and American got stabbed with a samurai sword by a taxi driver.. however it was his fault cause he got annoyed with the taxi driver and in Thailand you shouldn't get annoyed.

However dont let me put you off going to Thailand and getting a taxi just as long as you are going where he wants to go and don't expect the meter to be on.

The beaches are great.. in Phuket and Pattaya you can have a wow of a time and hire jet skis.. Just beware of the old scam however where they say you damaged them and then the thugs all descend on you until you agree to pay an extortionate amount.. the police.. well they are in on it so dont expect any help there.... all good fun but remember to keep your cool and don't get annoyed as you hand over 30,000 Baht for something you didn't do as this is Thailand and you shouldn't get annoyed. Besides everyone knows you farang have heaps of money

Our politics are well known.. in fact we have a great brother and sister team sort of like your Punch and Judy puppet routine.. THaksin is in exile as he has run away from the country due to being convicted of bribery and his sister is the PM but he controls her and the other puppets . People get annoyed at this but they shouldnt as you dont get annoyed in Thailand.

Thai people really care about our framers so much so that we are the only nation that gives our farmers a rice subsidy... the farmers are real happy at least if they got some of it, our rice is now the most expensive in the world and we are sooo blessed with rice that we are sitting on mountains of it is storage just for a rainy day... people sometimes get annoyed at this but you shouldn't get annoyed in Thailand.

We have a great quality of life in Thailand...its not that we value life highly its just we have a great quality of life... chances are if you get in an altercation over even the most simple thing with a Thai man then a knife or gun will be bought out.. but dont worry there aren't that many deaths statistically of foreigners in Thailand.. well not compared to active war zones . Again moral of the story is dont get annoyed.. yes you guessed it.. you shouldn't get annoyed in Thailand.

Ladyboys.. many fellow students asked me about these and they are really a great part of Thai society.. if you go for a standard massage chances are there will be a lady boy under the bed to help sort through your clothes... feeling tired and run down.. not to despair allot of ladyboys will accompany you home and give your drink a little sedative to help you sleep and only deduct a modest sum from your wallet for the service.

So I could go on and on about my home.. there are so many things I haven't mentioned.. but it sure is a great place... Once I finish here I plan to go to university here, get a job here, get my relatives and friend here live here...some people get annoyed that Im sacrificing myself by not going home but I like to think Im giving other Thais a better opportunity and besides you shouldn't get annoyed in Thailand.

See you all at the party tonight....if anyone falls of the balcony i will cover for you as my sister has had two of her farang husbands mysteriously fall so i know what to do...

Brilliant... that just about covers it... clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Do you think there are too many western homosexuals in Thailand with their " rent boys " ???

I was responding to another poster, not you, but nontheless, I appreciate your comments on the gay abuse scene, you know, older guys , younger boys, ( still legal, of legal age of course, but good actors to extract the $$ from aged foreigners.)

What is your take on that ???

To answer your questions above, NO to all.

Silly.

I was obviously referring back to Maggusoil's post, as were you. Your weirdly personalized comments are of the dirt throwing nature that do not deserve any kind of reply. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing