16 Ways to write a final t in Thai

ChristianPFC

16 Ways to write a final t in Thai

In literature about Thai language you find that a final t in a word can be written in 16 different ways, but there are no examples I know of, so I made my own list (in alphabetical order):

1 จ กิจการ business, trade, work

2 ช เพชร diamond

3 ซ any ideas?

4 ฎ กฎหมาย law

5 ฏ any ideas?

6 ฐ รัฐบาล government อูฐ camel

7 ฑ ครุฑ garuda

8 ฒ วัฒนะ progress, development

9 ด จุด ผิด คิด วัด

10 ต สัตว์ animal

11 ถ รถ car สามารถ to be able to

12 ท บาท baht

13 ธ อาวุธ weapon อยุธยา Ayutthaya

14 ศ โทรทัศน์ television

15 ษ เศรษฐกิจ economy ศรีสะเกษ Sri Saket อังกฤษ English

16 ส รส flavor, taste

Can you help me to fill the gaps and suggest other common words to get more examples?

Edited by SlyAnimal
Edited spelling of ศรีสะเกษ

My mistake, ศรีสะเกษ is correct (can a moderator edit this in the op?).

Some more words with final t (meaning end of syllable, not necessarily end of word) spelled in different ways:

ภูเก็ต อำหาจ โกรธ ปัจจุบัน

แฟลช flâet flash (that's how cho chaang got in there!)

And I like pairs (or triplets) like บาท บาด สับปะรด รถ รส

กาซ and กอซ seem to be transliterations from English, are there any genuine Thai words that end in ?

kriswillems, how did you find these? Is there a backwards dictionary (or search with place holder)?

Edited by ChristianPFC

kriswillems, how did you find these? Is there a backwards dictionary (or search with place holder)?

I don't know how Kriswillems found them, but there are intelligible lists of Thai words around for Thai spell-checking in LibreOffice. The ICU lists for line-breaking by Open Source code don't seem so readily available - it seems it might take a bit of serious computing - possibly a couple of hours of coding - to extract the word lists. Having got the list, it is then in principle just a simple application of the Unix command line program 'grep' on most modern* Linux systems to extract them.

As my system has UTF-8 as its default character set, I have to convert the file from TIS-620 to UTF-8, so to get such words I just use:

iconv -f TIS620 -t UTF-8 /usr/share/hunspell/th_TH.dic | grep [^เแโใไ]ซ\$

The 19 words I find all seem to come from English.

In my case the data file was downloaded as part of the package myspell-th.

*It was a bit trickier when all I had, ten years ago, was a system with Latin-1 as its basic character set.

An easy way would be to go to http://www.thai-language.com/dict

In the main search there are several search options for Thai.

The standard setting is "starts with"

If you change it to "ends with" you can enter any of your letters, hit "go", and see what pops up.

It's not a 100% foolproof method (you'll also get words like เซ ไซ and โซ for instance), but it's the easiest way I know.

I've created a spreadsheet which lets you filter the LEXiTRON wordlist by final letter.

I've attached it in both .ods format (tested) and .xls (untested) format. However, because one's not permitted to upload .ods files I've added a .xls extension to the .ods file. LibreOffice will open it just fine.

Terminal Letters.xls

Terminal Letters.ods.xls

In www.sealang.net/thai you can use any linux regular expression, both in the Thai, IPA and Text field which probably makes it the most powerful search tool (for Thai words) available on the Internet.

It's especially useful when you want to look for a word that you've heard (but you can't write it) and you're not 100% sure about the pronunciation.

It's extremely powerful, you can even write Thai letters in the IPA field if you don't like IPA. You can also look for words with similar sounding consonants, ignore vowel lengths, ... See Approximate matching. The possibilities are endless.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

More ways to write a final t in Thai

All words that end in pronounced t are from English, so who came up with the idea that is pronounced t, if there is no precedent in Thai (including loan words from Pali, Sanskrit, Khmer)? Here is one where it makes sense: พิซซ่า (pizza).

Various “pit” (open for further suggestions)

ผิด (be illegal), พิษ (danger, poison), พิซซ่า (pizza)

ราชบพิธ (Wat Ratchabopit), พิษณุโลค (Pitsanulok), เบญจมบพิตร (Wat Benchamabopit)

Various “set”

ฝรั่งเศส (France), พิเศษ (special), เศรษฐกิจ (economy)

one “tet” (are there more?)

เทศกา (festival), เทศบาล (municipality), ประเทศ (country)

My op was about 16 ways to write a final t with one letter, here are ways to write it with more than one letter.

One additional letter (no garan):

(unpronounced ) บัตร (cart, ticket), เพชร (diamond), มหาสมุทร (ocean)

(unpronounced อิ) อัตโนมัติ (automatic(ally)), ชาติ (nation, country)

(unpronounced อุ) เหตุ (cause, reason), วัดพระธาตุ (Wat Prathat)

(unpronounced ธ) พุทธ (Buddha)

(unpronounced ) สามารถ (be able to)

One addtitional letter plus garan (there should be up to 16 x 42 =672 combinations):

โบสถ์ (Buddhist temple), แพทย์ (doctor), สัตย์ (honest), สัตว์ (animal), ไทยพาณิชย์ (SCB Siam Commercial Bank), โทรทัศน์ (television) = วัดสุทัศน์ (Wat Suthat),

วัดพระศรีสรรเพชญ์ (Wat Phra Sri Sanphet Ayutthaya),

Two additional letters (no garan):

เฉลิมพระเกียรติ (chalerm phrakiat)

Two additional letters plus garan:

วิทยาศาสตร์ (science), บริสุทธิ์ (pure, clean), สาธุประดิษฐิ์ (Sathupradit road in Bangkok), ราตรีสวัสดิ์ (Goodnight), ราษฎร์บูรณะ (Rat Burana district in Bangkok)

All words that end in pronounced t are from English, so who came up with the idea that is pronounced t, if there is no precedent in Thai (including loan words from Pali, Sanskrit, Khmer)?

As the other letters sounding /s/ initially and all the other consonants from จ to ฌ have a final sound of /t/, I would have said it was pretty obvious that it should have a final sound of /t/. I certainly didn't learn it consciously.

You will struggle to find a Thai word that ends with ซ ซอ unless it is aa borrowed word from a foriegn language such as แก๊ซ or กาซ [ as previously mentioned] for gas.

1 จ ตำรวจ bib

2 ช ประโยชน์ benefit

3 see above

4 ฎ กบฎ coupe

5 ฏ ปรากฏ appear

6 ฐ อิฐ brick

7 ฑ there are none to the best of my knowledge

8 ฒ วุฒิ qualification

9 ด lots

10 ต จิต mind

11 ถ ขบถ rebel

12 ท ปราสาท Castle, palace

13 ธ โกรธ angry

14 ศ เพศ sex m/f

15 ษพิษ poison

16 ส ทาส slave

Have a look here. I found this with a quick go-gun search.