Songthaew passenger etiquette

dslocum

On my first trip to this wonderful country in March, we took a songthaew to the Chiang Mai night bazzar.

As a first timer to this unique new form of transportation, I initially felt like I was being taken to the local police in a paddy-wagon to be stored in a drunk tank overnight. I quickly go used to the transport mode, but was not sure about the etiquette. Do you look at people and smile? Talk? Wai? Do elders get in first / last? "Too close" situations? Carry-on bags?

When I come back again next year, I'd like to have a better grasp on at least this small part of the journey.

Yes, I think you should wai everyone individually when you get on and again when you leave, particularly the kids. Oh, don't forget the driver.

Dontcha just love playin' bait the rookie?

Can't believe you said that NanLaew after Post #8...................sad.png

I can just see someone new here playing musical chairs in the back of a baht bus...........facepalm.gif

tongue.png

Yes, I think you should wai everyone individually when you get on and again when you leave, particularly the kids. Oh, don't forget the driver.

Can't believe you said that NanLaew after Post #8...................sad.png

I can just see someone new here playing musical chairs in the back of a baht bus...........facepalm.gif

tongue.png

I have to laugh when I see first time tourists wai-ing the fark outa everyone that even looks at them. Where do they get this Thai tourist tip from anyway??? I didn't wai anybody 'till I was here for about 6 months.

Ok non-etiquette from experience.

Don't get off and not pay when you are really drunk and not understand why the driver is shouting at you.

Don't sit there smelling in your finest sex tourist/ sex pat clothing chatting up girls young enough to be your granddaughter whose skin is crawling while telling the only other farang (me) that you are here because the girls love white men and don't make the presumption that they can't understand English while you're saying it.

Edited by arthurwait

In your own country what is the passenger etiquette when your riding on a bus ?

One suspects the etiquette is the same...

one gets on the bus,you may or may not be invited to pay the required fare during the embarkation procedure, but this usually occurs once the the dis-embarkation procedure has been completed, place your posterior in a vacant seat, once arriving at the pre-determined destination, initiate the dis-embarkation procedure...whistling.gif

BTW dont forget to Wai all the other passenger and most certainly the driver, otherwise he will lose face...

Just be careful (especially in Pattaya) when a katoey squeezes in next to you especially when there are other empty spaces. You will lose your wallet!

...but it's loadsa fun and you can do it again and again.

Ooh. Where can I buy a bunch of cheap wallets? Sounds like a fun little game!

And who baited who? tongue.png

In your own country what is the passenger etiquette when your riding on a bus ?

One suspects the etiquette is the same...

Don't sit beside, or immediately in front of, or immediately behind, another passenger.

Wear no colour other than grey.

Do not smile. Do not talk.

There are many more guidelines in the Scottish Midland Transport etiquette guide that I think may not be directly applicable..

1) Go through the shopping bag of the granny sitting next to you and place some items in your pocket with a smile and a "Khop khun khrap Khun Yai"

2) Sit opposite the woman who blatantly stares at you the most. During the journey stand up, remove your clothes, don the monks robes you remove from your rucksack and sit on her lap.

3) Fire an imaginary machine gun at passers by while alternatively making machine gun noises and humming the Ride Of The Valkyries. Upon leaving the songtaew at your stop either shout " I'm not going! I'm not going!" or go round to the driver, pay him the fare and declare "Outstanding Red Team. Outstanding. You get your case of beer for that one."

4) Take out a copy of Thai Rath and read it. Upside down.

Edited by mca

That goes for the BTS and any domestic flight as well.

Don't forget your business cards

and all doormen, waiting staff, policemen and soi dogs...

Don't forget your business cards

which obviously presented using both hands, followed by a deep bow