Bangkok cabbie returns cameras worth THB600,000 to Dutch passengers

webfact

Cabbie returns cameras worth THB600,000 to Dutch passengers
By Coconuts Bangkok

z-canon-6d-beauty.jpg?itok=bAhPnA6j

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok taxi driver is being praised for his integrity after he returned a camera bag, worth an estimated THB600,000, to Dutch passengers last night.

The driver, Nutdon Banlusuk, picked up three Dutch passengers from a house in the Bang Kho Laem district and drove them to Don Muang International Airport.

After dropping them off, Nutdon realized that the passengers left the black bag in the back seat of his car.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/12/cabbie-returns-cameras-worth-thb600000-dutch-passengers

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-12

Could this article be a made up one for a feel good propaganda? I mean com-on, B 600,000 camera?

$ 20,000 ? in Thailand? feel fishy to me,

Awww, don't be so cynical! These things really do happen. I have heard quite a few first-hand stories along these lines in my years in BKK.

That's not to say that all is well with transportation services in Thailand and taxis in particular - Au contraire!

Could this article be a made up one for a feel good propaganda? I mean com-on, B 600,000 camera?

Quite possible for this article to be real! A single Canon C300 would be around 600k, who knows if the Dutch were cinematographers? It's not stated either way in article. Edited by CanInBKK

Right on cue !!!!! On the taxi machete killer thread, someone had predicted exactly a story like this one. Amazing timing.... :-)

It does happen more than reported. Years ago left a cheap cell phone in a cab, while standing in line at the Burma Embassy he drove up and got my attention handed me the phone and drove off. There are a lot of honest Thais out there, they are missed because most folks just worried about the dishonest people.

You're right on brother , good to C

A bag of professional photography gear could easily be worth that and more.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

A single Canon 1D, or a Nikon D4 will run a couple hundred baht, without lenses.

Many high grade lenses can easly set one back 100,000 baht on up.

• This is only a camera body without lenses,,,, just saying but your statement is true anguid.
Hasselblad H5D-50 Medium Format DSLR Camera
  • Price:$26,995.00
  • EUR 20,617.70
Product Highlights
  • 50 Megapixel Resolution
  • 36.7 x 49.1mm CCD Sensor
  • 3.0" 24-Bit Color LCD w/ 460,320 Pixels
  • True Focus II and Focus Confirm
  • 16-Bit Color Definition
  • Hasselblad RAW 3FR File Format
  • Compatible with H-System Components
  • DAC Automated Lens Correction System
  • Digital Spirit Level
  • Includes Phocus and Lightroom 4 Software
Remember the Essentials

A lens and a memory card are required but not included with this camera. Please be sure to purchase a lens and a memory card for this camera

Not the one illustrated, worth "only" 65.000

Seriously. Why do some people come on the internet? It was a camera bag. For all you know it could have been a Canon 100D and lenses worth thousands. A photo has been attached to the post for general visual purposes.

Edited by BobTH

"Cue reality.....I left my phone in a taxi in Bangkok. When I called the guy on another phone he then ransomed my phone back to me....."

That's because he "sensed" that you were an arrogant <deleted> ! Not saying you are, of course, but that is what he sensed. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Not the one illustrated, worth "only" 65.000

Seriously. Why do some people come on the internet? It was a camera bag. For all you know it could have been a Canon 100D and lenses worth thousands. A photo has been attached to the post for general visual purposes.

So we don't know what a camera looks like? I take your point but the pic is superfluous.

Very possible. I have two Canon lenses I paid right at 550K for in BKK this year. And they are just plain photographic lenses. Not specialty lenses what so ever. And that is without the camera or accessories. Some Cinema lenses cost mega money.

If he was a birder like me. I have seen hundreds of Thai and farang with well over 1 million in a camera bag.

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

A pro camera could cost much more and may have been purchased overseas.

If this really happened,the authorities would be all over it like a rash with pictures of smiling grateful Dutch tourists and the `hero` cabbie plastered all over the media.But all we get is a photo of a random camera.Could have happened though.

Edited by dundee48
  • Like 1

A Bangkok taxi driver is being praised for his integrity after he returned a camera bag, worth an estimated THB600,000

Wow! Just the 'bag' was worth 600,000! ;-)

Must be one of YS cheap cast-off's

Saw a small LV bag in a Korean airport shop recently going for $24,000 US (roughly 720,000 baht).

Edited by Dap

Very possible. I have two Canon lenses I paid right at 550K for in BKK this year. And they are just plain photographic lenses. Not specialty lenses what so ever. And that is without the camera or accessories. Some Cinema lenses cost mega money.

If he was a birder like me. I have seen hundreds of Thai and farang with well over 1 million in a camera bag.

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Fantastic photos, Gary…. it's worth a look on his flickr link people…...biggrin.png