Villa Market @ Laguna

doorEman

If its anything like the Patong one you have a while to wait.

Is that one open yet?

By all accounts it is open. Can't say myself as there is no way I would drive into that one way mess at the beach road. From my point of view, not really the best spot for a local customer clientel.

• Like 1

Villa has dangerously overestimated the market for up-scale consumers, as witnessed by the loss-making venture in Chalong.

The point is that Phuket is no longer a destination for the well-heeled ex-pat. They have moved on.

The strong baht is pushing the pensioned and prisoned ex-pats into a diet of Archa beer and fried rice.

Word to the wise: Go local or starve.

• Like 1

Villa has dangerously overestimated the market for up-scale consumers, as witnessed by the loss-making venture in Chalong.

Why do you think that the Chalong branch is losing money? Do you have evidence of this?

My personal view is that it is making lots and lots of money judging by the amount of customers I see there.

Yeah that comment and the one about well heeled expats moving on are rubbish.

• Like 2

The point is that Phuket is no longer a destination for the well-heeled ex-pat. They have moved on.

The strong baht is pushing the pensioned and prisoned ex-pats into a diet of Archa beer and fried rice.

Word to the wise: Go local or starve.

Actually I disagree. For one, they seem to have and continue to do alright in Chalong. I live all the way up in Thalang and drive 1 to 2 times a month all the way there to stock up. I am sure I cannot be alone. But I do agree that the Villa is much better off being up near Laguna where the expats are much more upper-middle and upper class as opposed to what you have down south.

According to the soon-to-be manager, it will open next month. If you pop-by the location, you will see it is coming along well. May I add what a good location it is too.

I have had a look, several times over the past few months....never looks like much progress. But great, hopefully said rumour is not the same old half truths and knowledge / face saving / avoiding saying the truth / really have no idea what I am talking about but will tell you I do...that one hears so often here! tongue.png

• Like 2

Is that one open yet?

Yes, it is open now. I have yet to visit but colleagues have.

Called in patong shop tonight...first time to a Villa Market and i can see no reason to go again to be honest

Parking is impossible for a car roadside for sure, but there is basement parking....cost of, i don't know

I will never complain about prices in Macro, big C ,tesco again for sure after seeing the inflated prices here of articles i buy regularly at other places and know the prices of..some up 10-30%..but a couple of frozen products i saw were 100% upblink.png

Ok if you are really hanging out for a treat from your own country [ they do have a fair range of imported stuff, ] but i am not in that catagory..

Is that one open yet?

Yes, it is open now. I have yet to visit but colleagues have.

Called in patong shop tonight...first time to a Villa Market and i can see no reason to go again to be honest

Parking is impossible for a car roadside for sure, but there is basement parking....cost of, i don't know

I will never complain about prices in Macro, big C ,tesco again for sure after seeing the inflated prices here of articles i buy regularly at other places and know the prices of..some up 10-30%..but a couple of frozen products i saw were 100% upPosted Image

Ok if you are really hanging out for a treat from your own country [ they do have a fair range of imported stuff, ] but i am not in that catagory..

Sure. I see things that are more expensive in villa compared to tops/makro/tesco but its works both ways.

I see things cheaper in villa compared to them but villa seems to have more of those treats I enjoy and the competitors don't have.

Sure. I see things that are more expensive in villa compared to tops/makro/tesco but its works both ways.

I see things cheaper in villa compared to them but villa seems to have more of those treats I enjoy and the competitors don't have.

For me the attraction of Villa in Chalong is that all the treats are available in a one-stop-shop. For sure there is a premium price to be paid for those (imported) treats. The regular purchases I make at Makro & SuperCheap.

For me the attraction of Villa in Chalong is that all the treats are available in a one-stop-shop. For sure there is a premium price to be paid for those (imported) treats. The regular purchases I make at Makro & SuperCheap.

Thats fair comments..i was just really surprised at the premium prices on the more ''everyday grocery stuff'' and fruit and veges and such..

Edited by andreandre

I'm a sucker for makro because I love buying in bulk. Call it an addiction.

But don't bother going to the new Makro in Patong. Think of it as a mini- Makro with a very restricted selection. I can't believe it's a viable business - always near empty.

According to the soon-to-be manager, it will open next month. If you pop-by the location, you will see it is coming along well. May I add what a good location it is too.

I have had a look, several times over the past few months....never looks like much progress. But great, hopefully said rumour is not the same old half truths and knowledge / face saving / avoiding saying the truth / really have no idea what I am talking about but will tell you I do...that one hears so often here! tongue.png

The structure sort of looked finished April time but hardly any progress to be seen nowadays and not many workers around just a few working on the car park ...slowly ...

The structure sort of looked finished April time but hardly any progress to be seen nowadays and not many workers around just a few working on the car park ...slowly ...

Exactly...which is why I wonder if and when and very much doubt "next month".

But don't bother going to the new Makro in Patong. Think of it as a mini- Makro with a very restricted selection. I can't believe it's a viable business - always near empty.

Ive bwen gone a long time. Where did they put the patong makro?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).