Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

Thank you for your view and opnion. Do you have links to all the research to support your assertive statement please?

No I don't. Oxford are Cambridge are "considered" the best in England. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to your opinion.

A University of London BSc Economics course requires a BBC at A-level, a Cambridge course requires a AAB. So why are Britain's top economists at LSE? And why do LSE turn away undergraduates that Cambridge accepts?

Anyway, without wanting to belittle you, the point of my post was that the traditional elite universities such as Chula do not always produce the brightest minds. And before you start... yes, I do (albeit in a classical subject of no use to anyone).

Chula is probably equivalent to Oxford polytechnic. Top economists are spread all over the country, lse is highly respected of course. Basically, Oxford and Cambridge are the best all round universitas.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai at Heart, stop comparing Oxford, Cambridge and Chula. There is NO comparison. Why don't you find in your Thai Heart anything to say about Chula and Hitler? Or, better still, about Thais and Bandar Log?

BTW, do you teach at Chula? If the answer is affirmative, isn't it Political 'sciences' you teach?.. Maybe History?..

Oh, yes, please remember in future

-Thai Oxford is not Oxford;

-Thai Cambridge is not Cambridge;

-Thai Princeton is not Princeton;

-Thai Yale is not Yale;

-etc.

In fact by adding Thai to many fine things you spoil them... Just look into your Heart!cheesy.gif

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

this just shows how much

a degree on this

supposedly best university

in thailand means

it's not the paper worth printing on it

and that is why, thai degrees or graduates, end up cleaning hotel rooms (or doing other jobs involving bedrooms) in western countries

• Like 2

From the posts up to page 11, with pitifully few exceptions, one can summarize that many Westerners know little about the period of 1914-1945 except "Hitler bad, Japanese Asians".

In addition, the Western perspective here is very pre-1989, without consideration of the effects of the slaughter in Soviet territories 1941-1944 or the 50 years of communist occupation of Eastern Europe.

Hitler's war on England and France was of great benefit to many colonized nations, as was America's war on Japan, the interim colonizing power.

And if you count sacrifices, Soviet Union, Germany, Japan and China come out top. Western allies suffered, but where in our schools do they teach the suffering of China under Japan? Our history writing in the post war period (when many TV posters went to school) is colored by Cold War policies.

Back to the situation at hand, I can't believe that Chula students (not every single Thai as some posters claim) did that even after the last two university Nazi parades got such a bad resonance. They ought to have known better.

Yes the Germans and Japanese were allies- of necessity. The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.

Had the Germans and Japanese emerged as victors, I doubt that they would have peacefully coexisted in fraternal brotherly love. Hitler making nice with non Arayans? OK, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale :whistling:

More like Genocide Part 2.01

The Chula graduates were wrong to include Hitler in their mural. Decency requires them to apologize. Ask the people who lost family members to the evil reigns of Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot if they think genocidal "fashion" is acceptable...

Hitler was obsessed with racial purity and superiority and considered the Japanese as an Aryan equivalent. Their strategic purpose was of course to keep England (India) and the USA in check. Hitler did not want to "rule the World", his vision was that of a Greater Germany with a few vassal states around (much like the EU but more German territory), an allied, fascist England (again, much like today judging from tourists) and an impotent USA. Three spheres of control: Greater Europe, Greater Asia, Greater America's.

Pretty well described in "The Man in the High Tower".

Well, that's my interpretation.

Shame on Thailand! Shame on Thai 'Elite' ! Because this University is their stronghold. Thailand is the Nazi Germany of the East.

When facing ugly things in life many people choose a 'softer' target to punish. Call me an extremist, but I think a good shootout between the rival groups with a few dead and wounded would be much more 'educational'.

OK.

You are an extremist. bah.gif

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

You are correct. Ethics, morals, common sense, a distaste for corruption just don't fit here.

• Like 1

Thai at Heart, stop comparing Oxford, Cambridge and Chula. There is NO comparison. Why don't you find in your Thai Heart anything to say about Chula and Hitler? Or, better still, about Thais and Bandar Log?

BTW, do you teach at Chula? If the answer is affirmative, isn't it Political 'sciences' you teach?.. Maybe History?..

Oh, yes, please remember in future

-Thai Oxford is not Oxford;

-Thai Cambridge is not Cambridge;

-Thai Princeton is not Princeton;

-Thai Yale is not Yale;

-etc.

In fact by adding Thai to many fine things you spoil them... Just look into your Heart!cheesy.gif

Hitler was obsessed with racial purity and superiority and considered the Japanese as an Aryan equivalent. Their strategic purpose was of course to keep England (India) and the USA in check. Hitler did not want to "rule the World", his vision was that of a Greater Germany with a few vassal states around (much like the EU but more German territory), an allied, fascist England (again, much like today judging from tourists) and an impotent USA. Three spheres of control: Greater Europe, Greater Asia, Greater America's.

Pretty well described in "The Man in the High Tower".

Well, that's my interpretation.

It stinks. Thanks for wasting 30 seconds of my life, the pair of you.

This mural is a warning.

- first the images are superimposed over camouflage. Which represents war, secrecy, concealment, militarism,etc

- next there are American Super Heroes. Only now they no longer appear friendly and have turned theatening and offensive.

- Then red and gold china flag colors are combined.

- Hitler is saluting the fascism that is growing in our world. Only now it's more subtle. Camouflaged by corrupt govts, Corporate journalism, MSM, fiat monetary systems,etc

Could I please have some of what you are smoking? ;)

"Those who mock, do not understand"

Yes the Germans and Japanese were allies- of necessity. The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.

Had the Germans and Japanese emerged as victors, I doubt that they would have peacefully coexisted in fraternal brotherly love. Hitler making nice with non Arayans? OK, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale whistling.gif

More like Genocide Part 2.01

The Chula graduates were wrong to include Hitler in their mural. Decency requires them to apologize. Ask the people who lost family members to the evil reigns of Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot if they think genocidal "fashion" is acceptable...

I guess I have to put a lid on your wild speculation. An Asian campaign was not even remotely considered by Hitler. His "enemies" were the Jews and the "Bolsheviks". If the Wehrmacht had been victorious on the Eastern Front there would have been a peace treaty like the "Brest-Litovsk" one or at max a permanent occupation up to the Ural mountain range. Germany did not have the manpower to control a larger area. And so there would have been a huge mass of land left between the German and the Japanese Empire. The Germans were (in the beginning) quite willing to support the "Lebensraum im Osten" (living space in the East) ideology but they certainly would have refused any adventurous campaign against Japan after the massive losses against the Soviet Union. Asia was never on Hitler's radar and, moreover, an allied Japan was keeping a large part of the American military power in the Pacific which would otherwise have been shifted to the Atlantic and Mediterranean against Germany and its ally Italy.

It's so very remarkable how the yappers engage every time this comes up. It's like putting a coin in a pinball machine and watch the bells and whistles and lights begin to ring, toot and blink. It truly is ludicrous; almost humorous to read the predictable and rehearsed diatribe. The standards set by these yappers make it utterly impossible to offer any resistance or opposing views without getting put on the receiving end of the very thing these yappers deceivingly abhor, yet at the bottom of their hearts aggressively (understatement) embrace. At the end of the day, we simply sit back and regret putting the coin in the pinball machine and have to wait patiently for it to stop its cacophony of mind-numbing noise.

Regrettably, in order to state my mind, I decidedly put a coin in the slot, and there's the rub.

Oh well...

• Like 2

Thainess!

Have a law in Thailand, that gives you the right or even the duty to be offended about almost anything, concerning a certain "group" of people.

Have a defamation law, that makes it almost impossible to criticize you, even if you very well deserve it!

Get your knickers in a toss, when something has been done to "insult" your religion.

...but do not give a hoot about other peoples feelings, if they are not Thai or if something happened outside of Thailand...unless of course, there is a picture of Buddha on a portable loo in Holland!

This mural is a warning.

- first the images are superimposed over camouflage. Which represents war, secrecy, concealment, militarism,etc

- next there are American Super Heroes. Only now they no longer appear friendly and have turned theatening and offensive.

- Hitler is saluting the fascism that is growing in our world. Only now it's more subtle. Camouflaged by corrupt govts, Corporate journalism, MSM, fiat monetary systems,etc

Could I please have some of what you are smoking? wink.png

I have to say your interpretation is interesting, but in my opinion the last sentence is a major distraction. It will be interesting to see what the Uni puts in a statement on the mural; if they can be bothered to do so and if their is actually a deeper meaning to the mural or not.

This is supposedly one of the top universities in Thailand. And next to Captain America too!

How sad...

what part is so sad? the level of intelligence of the students, to display a dispicable person as Hitler or to put him up next to Capt USA or Captain America himself?

This mural is a warning.

Could I please have some of what you are smoking? wink.png

Those who talk sh*t like that usually wear tinfoil hats...

Wow, the level of cynicism here is just amazing. Whats with all this bashing of Thai people's lack of western history knowledge or Chulalongkorn University being a 2 Tier education institution based on the actions of a few ignorant students? Do you all feel you have adequate knowledge of Asian History or that everyone should know about the Rape of Nanking? What Hilter did and stands for is pure evil but it was over 60 years ago and a lesson in western history is not one of Thailand's educational strongpoints. I graduated from Chula +25 years ago and the only reason I know about Hilter is because I was also educated in the US and have an interest in military history. To expect all Thai's to know or understand in depth of how Hitler and his swastika invokes bitter feelings is just IGNORANT. To criticize our educational system based on this incident is unjustified. People seem to think cynicism reflects one's wisdom or age when in fact age is not a guarantee of wisdom. Wisdom is gained through humility and the acceptance that we know very little, just like these students.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

Shame on Thailand! Shame on Thai 'Elite' ! Because this University is their stronghold. Thailand is the Nazi Germany of the East.

When facing ugly things in life many people choose a 'softer' target to punish. Call me an extremist, but I think a good shootout between the rival groups with a few dead and wounded would be much more 'educational'.

OK.

You are an extremist. bah.gif

OK. Fine by me, if you say so. To have a perfect harmony, why not say what are you?

Do you consider this incident a harmless prank of young silly kids?

Do you belong to those who say this is of no consequence?

Do you believe it is none of our business, so let them march to any tune they like?

Is all you are capable of - say that I am an extremist?

The next thing I expect from you is to say - "You said it yourself" ... very safe, very convincing and a very strong position at the trying times...

Wow, the level of cynicism here is just amazing. Whats with all this bashing of Thai people's lack of western history knowledge or Chulalongkorn University being a 2 Tier education institution based on the actions of a few ignorant students? Do you all feel you have adequate knowledge of Asian History or that everyone should know about the Rape of Nanking? What Hilter did and stands for is pure evil but it was over 60 years ago and a lesson in western history is not one of Thailand's educational strongpoints. I graduated from Chula +25 years ago and the only reason I know about Hilter is because I was also educated in the US and have a interest in military history. To expect all Thai's to know or understand in depth of how Hitler and his swastika invokes bitter feelings is just IGNORANT. To criticize our educational system based on this incident is unjustified. People seem to think cynicism reflects one's wisdom or age when in fact age is not a guarantee of wisdom. Wisdom is acquired from accepting that we know so little, just like these students.

Sounds like an excuse for ignorance. I don't buy it. I think the history of Hitler and the Nazis is relevant today to educated people everywhere. Keep in mind Nazi ideology lives in various Neo-Nazi movements in many countries.

I would expect an educated person graduating from an elite western university to know what the Rape of Nanking was. I wouldn't expect Joe Schmoe the Plumber to know. If not to that detail, at least a basic understanding of the Asian part of World War 2 including knowing at least something about the brutality of Japanese atrocities. This again is RELEVANT today and the history still lives in the way China feels about Japan, etc.

Educated people are educated about the WORLD; not only their little corner of it. Not only topics that relate to their own ethnicity.

In my view more educated Thai nationals should stop making excuses and instead consider doing something so that Thailand doesn't continue to embarrass itself internationally in future with these serial displays of outrageous ignorance about Hitler and Nazis. It's not that hard. Why makes excuses?

I agree that educated people should seek to know more about the World then just what their educational systems offer. By that count, I think more educated people all over the world, not just Thai's are just as guilty of ignorance because many don't even know where Thailand is on the map.

My post is not an excuse for ignorance. I am pointing out the fact that it exists everywhere and no race or country is immune to it and to bash that race or country based on a single incidence is ignorance in itself.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

OK so whats the white critter with the red lips next to superman?blink.png

And why is there a chick (as in chicken) in profile wearing shades to the right?w00t.gif

I'm so confused.

hitler.png

I think the chicken looking thing might be Howard the Duck painted yellow...dunno.

Funny, I teach at a university here and was complaining about the general knowledge of the students there, but then I told the person that I honestly don't know how the students at the top schools are. (I was talking to a Thai who was somewhat miffed about my remarks about the education system, so I wanted to concede something) I told him I was sure those students were much better than the ones at my hick school, but I guess not so much.....