Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main lesson to be learnt from the Nazis and other similar regimes is that, given the opportunity, many people will join in the evil, some through fear but some being happy to do so. This can happen in almost any society and we should aim at never allowing this horrible history to be repeated. And that is why all should be educated about Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot etc.

Mao? If anything, he saved the place.
From getting overweight?
The seething millions lived and prospered. Mao and Communism were the right answer at the time. These days? ... another topic.

I'm speechless. 20mn starved.

• Like 2

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

Thank you for your view and opnion. Do you have links to all the research to support your assertive statement please?

No I don't. Oxford are Cambridge are "considered" the best in England. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to your opinion.

A University of London BSc Economics course requires a BBC at A-level, a Cambridge course requires a AAB. So why are Britain's top economists at LSE? And why do LSE turn away undergraduates that Cambridge accepts?

Anyway, without wanting to belittle you, the point of my post was that the traditional elite universities such as Chula do not always produce the brightest minds. And before you start... yes, I do (albeit in a classical subject of no use to anyone).

Ok, the students were stupid.

They should have known better.

Does that make me feel upset?

No!

When I finished university I also knew very little about Asian history.

I never got history at university and I hated it in high-school.

What makes me feel much more upset are the racist farangs that live in Thailand.

This group seems to be over-represented here and I still don't understand why racists love to come to live between people of another race.

• Like 1

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Hitler was a genocidal maniac and should not be so casually included in a graduation mural.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Also, with Chula University being located in close proximity to one of Bangkok's premier shopping and entertainment districts, where thousands of foreigners converge everyday, it wasn't going to take long before this poster was seen by a foreigner. If these students decided to march down the street towards MBK while dressed up as Nazi soldiers, there could be a pretty ugly scene in the making, me thinks.

A bunch of anti-semitic posts and a lot of answers have been deleted.

Just a remind:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

My ex wife was very smart, sent to gifted school tho from poor background early on. Kings scholar and all that. I sent her to grad school at Chula. I asked what they thought Thai students about WWII. She said that USA was very bad for dropping A bomb on Japan. Did they ever explain why bombs were dropped? No.

• Like 1

I don't know what Chula students have learned about 20th century Europe and judging by these posts no one else here does either. I don't recall that in my 18 years of education in America any 'education' relating to Thailand. Maybe western people concern themselves with western issues. Maybe Thai students concern themselves with Thai issues and interests. I don't see anything evil, suspicious or particularly alarming by this other than the preposterous bloviating by indignant farangs bemoaning their irrelevance. I'd bet that the students find this brouhaha extremely amusing.

That may be because Thailand's contribution on history in terms of momentous moments is rather limited.

Of course except plodprasop reinventing fluid dynamics and successfully pushing water. Now that was amazing.

Constantly making references to Hitler and the Nazis etc. is the problem here. If these Thai students at Chula or in Chiang Mai or wherever (and they always tend to be students) were that ignorant about world affairs, they wouldn't even know who Hitler was in the first place and that would be excusable given he didn't play a direct role in the history of Thailand. However, what is not excusable here is using his image or whatever else they seem to think is funny or interesting about him because to obtain an image of him, they would also have access to links (including those in Thai) that could explain who he was and what he did. Even more disturbing is that I know for a fact most Thai students DO know at least a little about Hitler (given that they can at least recognize his image) and yet there are those that continue to see no problem in poking fun at all this Nazi stuff.

The difference between sensitivity and ignorance is merely one click away. There is no need to have had a history lesson about any particular event in school - much of what we learn, if not most is learned outside of the classroom anyway.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

This is unbelievable, they spelt congratulation right wink.png

En It is a foreign language to them. On the other hand I would bet 3:1 odds that you checked the spelling before making your post- just to be sure.tongue.png

There are thousands of foreigners within walking distance of Chula that go shopping at MBK, Siam, Paragon etc. every single day. they could ask for help with their English, if need be...not to mention the British Council and other English language teaching centres. Not to mention google translate - which can at least help with their spelling if need be. There are literally countless tools at their disposal so stating that "English is a foreign language to them" is a pretty ridiculous excuse.

So if these are the types of students that the PM wants promoting and spreading Thainess to the world; she should probably let them know to refrain from doing the salute when they get off the plane overseas.....

I don't really get the idea of the poster, although as I stated in a previous post; I have seen a lot of the Hitler dolls popping up as well as the decals on cars; Probably just a weird fad. I remember When Prince Harry dressed up as Hitler some years back, a lot of people were telling the media to chill out; and that it was just a joke, while others were not so humored by it. I also remember old Bugs Bunny cartoons with Hitler in them. I guess it just depends on how you see things. There are people in power now that are almost just as bad, and I don't see anyone doing anything about it.

Big brother is listening to everything, and watching us all.........................

Edited by alphaflight

It is not only the Thais, but it appears even a large number of Westerners require educating on exactly what the Nazis were all about, judging by some of the posts here.

Very true. Some posters need to educate themselves before criticising Thai education standards. The average British person's understanding of history is that there was an Evil Man called Hitler who invaded Poland and killed Six Million Jews, then a Good Man called Churchill defeated him and we all lived happily ever after. Ask them how many Poles or Russians were killed in WW2, or about the crimes of the Japanese, or how many tens of millions of people perished under Stalin and Mao and they won't have a clue.

This is Thailand. Doesn't matter.

Yeah right, nobody takes this nation serious, they even don't take themselves serious, they know nothing and make a point of nothing.

Consume and vegetate, is all we have to do.

• Like 2

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

Thank you for your view and opnion. Do you have links to all the research to support your assertive statement please?

No I don't. Oxford are Cambridge are "considered" the best in England. If you disagree, you are more than welcome to your opinion.

A University of London BSc Economics course requires a BBC at A-level, a Cambridge course requires a AAB. So why are Britain's top economists at LSE? And why do LSE turn away undergraduates that Cambridge accepts?

Anyway, without wanting to belittle you, the point of my post was that the traditional elite universities such as Chula do not always produce the brightest minds. And before you start... yes, I do (albeit in a classical subject of no use to anyone).

There is only one Thai university with a ranking 351-400 in the THES World University Rankings list. That is KMUTT. Chula, Thammasat and KK not in the top 400. (PS Uni ranking is not determined by A level entry. Entry quals are one variable)

PPS Harvard/Yale not the top ranked US unis here, but CIT and Stanford, both positioned above O+C.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking/institution/king-mongkuts-university-of-technology-thonburi

Edited by yoshiwara

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

And (thai) Buddhist ideology is just a quaint shiny medium to ask for good luck and more material things. But it doesnt stop Thais crying like little kids when a buddhist image is used in a western art exhibition or something else equally harmless.

Just an afterthought; It's interesting that a lot of us westerners blast the Asian's ignorance for an image of Hitler or chicken stand. Yet we are the same societies that sat back and did nothing while millions of Cambodians were being slaughtered. A lot of educated people in western countries have never even heard of this. So are we not just as ignorant? Not that I agree with anything Hitler did..............

I would harbour an educated guess that more people from the UK know who Pol Pot was than in Thailand. And it's next door to Thailand. In fact, I would bet that if I asked 10 Thai people in the street tomorrow morning where Cambodia was over half would take longer than 20 seconds to find it on a map.

• Like 2

It is not only the Thais, but it appears even a large number of Westerners require educating on exactly what the Nazis were all about, judging by some of the posts here.

Very true. Some posters need to educate themselves before criticising Thai education standards. The average British person's understanding of history is that there was an Evil Man called Hitler who invaded Poland and killed Six Million Jews, then a Good Man called Churchill defeated him and we all lived happily ever after. Ask them how many Poles or Russians were killed in WW2, or about the crimes of the Japanese, or how many tens of millions of people perished under Stalin and Mao and they won't have a clue.

good points !! yet how we could bring these 'learning' to the young people, I mean young Thai and young fareng. WE paid a big deal in this 'learning', but the youngsters not. they are more fancy on what apps on their devices ( micro view ) than what happen around the world, not to mention what did happen 60, 70 years ago !

I had three things go through my mind when I read the article

1I feel it is an insult to the American hero's even if they are made up. That is no reason to bunch them in with a man of infamy.

.... its ok Dolly , I was just speaking to Captain America and he assures me he was only a tincey wincey upset , but he's a big boy and Hitler is a pus$ey ( oh , sorry , is that a swear word?) compared to the Incredible Hulky Boy... 555

They know enough not to be prats about putting Hitler on a banner.
  • Like 1

Seems anything with Hitler gets big hits on TV!

Could this just be another media stunt to drive traffic to a website?

Why didn't the author interview the students and find out the actual meaning of the poster and why it was made??

Why is Hitler the only figure painted in Black and white?

Does anyone here know the real history of Hitler?

Bla bla bla bla Troll Hitler post again second time this week lol:)

There is only one Thai university with a ranking 351-400 in the THES World University Rankings list. That is KMUTT. Chula, Thammasat and KK not in the top 400. (PS Uni ranking is not determined by A level entry. Entry quals are one variable)
PPS Harvard/Yale not the top ranked US unis here, but CIT and Stanford, both positioned above O+C.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking/institution/king-mongkuts-university-of-technology-thonburi

It always makes me snigger when Thais describe Chula and Thammasat as the Harvard and Yale or the Oxford and Cambridge of Thailand.With a very few departmental exceptions by international standards they are second rate.The THES ranking quoted makes this clear.Incidentally my quick reading of these tables shows Oxford as 2= with Stanford, not below it.Not that it matters much.Any university in the top 20 would be excellent and any in the top 50 or even 100 not far off the very highest world standards.Thailand's crappy universities are not even in the right ballpark ( ok KMUTT is near enough). Edited by angiud
fixed quotes
  • Like 1

Shame is effective when it is reinforced with penalities and or social stigma. Where is the stigma or penality here? Tourists still flock to Thailand, almost every one is still gushing about how lovely the Thais are, so why change if there is no downside?

Good point. There won't be a change. They won't improve the curriculum. But they still deserve the international publicity they are going to get about this and all the wildly stupid Nazi stuff they do in Thailand.

CHANGE? IMPROVE CURRICULUM? NOT CHANCE!

What spin Thais will give to being so chummy to the Japanese who occupied Thailand for a couple of years?

If Thailand was collaborating with the Japanese and the Japanese were "honorary Aryans" and Hitler's allies plus, Thailand's declaration of war to the UK and USA how can they possibly address Hitler's role in a genocidal campaign? The answer: not to lose face with the students and/or the population at large, purge the books, keep the people in supine ignorance. Keep promoting the idea that Thainess is oh! so special, etc. That will produce more Hitleriana for years to come. TIT. But, I have posted this news item in my Facebook page which is read by at least 9 nationalities; all in developed countries. If there is no penalty...

You mean stop bring Human values to Thailand, don't you?

And, by the way, as far as I know, Chairman Mao never started a WORLD WAR!!!

The ignorance on this thread is not all Thai.

• Like 1