Everybody's run away from something or someone

up2you2

Most of the weirdos that have either relationship issues in Thailand or brought their relationship issue with them, probably had issues with their mums. Even the ones that joke about it.

Yes, there are nutters here, there and everywhere AND on this forum. What is the OP's point? My Auntie Mary got married to a kiwi and left Scotland for New Zealand over 50 years ago and only came back to visit once. I have visited her twice in New Zealand and she doesn't seem to have any issues apart from now being widowed and a bit dottled.

Phew, for a moment I thought I could have been excluded.

attachicon.gifimages224.jpg

What's the point.

Yes every posting that's put up has to have a point, some could be just thought provoking however, I presume that's okay with you.

But as you want one, is their something that all expats have in common, a common denominator that runs through every one of us.

Uprooting ourselves from our families, friends, cultures you name it, is not the rule, in fact what I am saying is on reflection I think we are the exceptions to the rule.

Now before you all jump on that, I'm not saying this action is good or bad, everybody to their own.

I'm not criticising, doubting or voicing a concern about our actions, but wondering if there is a common explanation to them.

Yes there is at least one common denominatar between the Ex Pats,they all had the strength of character and courage to change their lives,and move to another Country and live the life of choice! Of course there are many more similarities.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A major "running-away" factor is probably:

For a good number of Farangs, the pension-benefits will not allow for a "good-life" in the old country. But will in Thailand.

So as opposed as in their home-country, a comfortable "autumn" of live is possible here. Theoretically.

But more often than not, a Thai-Lady (and the family) will enter the scene, and then...........................!

Cheers.

The OP hangs around the wrong people and places ,everyone i have met here (bar one or two) have been decent people ,most like me have lived with their Thai wives in the west and have now retired here to the sun.

• Like 1

The OP hangs around the wrong people and places ,everyone i have met here (bar one or two) have been decent people ,most like me have lived with their Thai wives in the west and have now retired here to the sun.

Yes, but the few that you or I know are the exceptions, and the rest are universally and to a man, stereotypical rogues and misfits. We are lucky that the people we know are not of that ilk, but it is clear from this forum that our experience is not the norm.

SC

• Like 1

Most of the weirdos that have either relationship issues in Thailand or brought their relationship issue with them, probably had issues with their mums. Even the ones that joke about it.

Yes, there are nutters here, there and everywhere AND on this forum. What is the OP's point? My Auntie Mary got married to a kiwi and left Scotland for New Zealand over 50 years ago and only came back to visit once. I have visited her twice in New Zealand and she doesn't seem to have any issues apart from now being widowed and a bit dottled.

What's the point.

Yes every posting that's put up has to have a point, some could be just thought provoking however, I presume that's okay with you.

But as you want one, is their something that all expats have in common, a common denominator that runs through every one of us.

Uprooting ourselves from our families, friends, cultures you name it, is not the rule, in fact what I am saying is on reflection I think we are the exceptions to the rule.

Now before you all jump on that, I'm not saying this action is good or bad, everybody to their own.

I'm not criticising, doubting or voicing a concern about our actions, but wondering if there is a common explanation to them.

Yes there is at least one common denominatar between the Ex Pats,they all had the strength of character and courage to change their lives,and move to another Country and live the life of choice! Of course there are many more similarities.

Strength of character - interesting, some may argue that it is in fact a weakness of character, as they could do what they set out to achieve in their own country. Further more there is also the big fish in the small pond syndrome, less competition.

To the degree that I have even known of an instance before, where the company in trying to avoid redundancy payments, offered the employee a posting in Malaysia, hoping he would resign voluntarily.

I think from your experience you are referring to the successful expats running to, whereas I was trying to high light two specific posts on Thai Visa, that may or may not be referring to those that are running from.

From my own experience, I have yet to meet someone here who had everything going for him back in his own home country.

Nice broad sweeping statement, I am sure there are some nutters here but many good guys too. As long as your not looking for friends in the bar scene then there are plenty normal guys around.

The good ones are usually found outside 7-11 storesbiggrin.png

I'm just waiting for my statute of limitations to expire back home. wink.png

Some people are buggered, as their home country does not have statute of limitations. Maybe why so many UK & Oz citizens heresmile.png

Edited by simple1

I came to Thailand because it was the furthest i could get from my ex wife without NASA's help!

I'm sure she appreciates it.

In Scotland, we have a lot of strong spirits.

SC

Yes. It's called Whiskey. It's used to ward off the horrible weather. cheesy.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) smile.png

No it's not.

Where's the spelling police when you need them?

Lets not forget that the most dominant country of all time was founded by misfits, religious fanatics, exiled criminals and what not. And we're not talking about Australia here.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Just understand that to run for better things is to be a human, to stay in one's own suffering is to be a slave.

What's the point.

Strength of character - interesting, some may argue that it is in fact a weakness of character, as they could do what they set out to achieve in their own country. Further more there is also the big fish in the small pond syndrome, less competition.

To the degree that I have even known of an instance before, where the company in trying to avoid redundancy payments, offered the employee a posting in Malaysia, hoping he would resign voluntarily.

I think from your experience you are referring to the successful expats running to, whereas I was trying to high light two specific posts on Thai Visa, that may or may not be referring to those that are running from.

From my own experience, I have yet to meet someone here who had everything going for him back in his own home country.

coffee1.gif

Yes, but the few that you or I know are the exceptions, and the rest are universally and to a man, stereotypical rogues and misfits. We are lucky that the people we know are not of that ilk, but it is clear from this forum that our experience is not the norm.

SC

Mate,in my old home town it was rough ,there were far more drug dealers and crims than there are in the whole of Thailand ,but i lived in a nice part with my wife and son , we mixed with decent people ,we do the same here ,there are loads of them ,believe me ,if you hang out in bars all the time(or outside 7/11)smile.png then those are the sort of people you will meet , it was the same in the UK and i am sure the same all over the world.

For a good number of Farangs, the pension-benefits will not allow for a "good-life" in the old country. But will in Thailand.

Apparently you missed the hysteria around the pound falling against the baht a couple of months back and the slew of expats reporting that its cheaper to live back in their 'old' countries. Of course, very few of them appear to have put their shoe leather where their big mouths are ....

Apparently it's a lot harder to walk the walk than talk the talk - who knew ? ;)

Nice broad sweeping statement, I am sure there are some nutters here but many good guys too. As long as your not looking for friends in the bar scene then there are plenty normal guys around.

There are many psychopaths here, but there are also a lot of decent people.

They may be a little harder to find as they probably aren't frequenting the beer bars in Pattaya.

Many farang living here in Thailand are indeed running away from something. We can all agree on that.

But many are also here for positive reasons. Many retirees find it difficult living on a meagre pension in their own countries, so emigrating to Thailand makes economical sense due to the lower cost of living and lax immigration.

When I lived in the UK I cannot even recall how many reports I saw of old age pensioners dying of hyperthermia because they didn't have enough money to put the heater on.

Not much chance of that here.....

• Like 2

Apparently you missed the hysteria around the pound falling against the baht a couple of months back and the slew of expats reporting that its cheaper to live back in their 'old' countries. Of course, very few of them appear to have put their shoe leather where their big mouths are ....

Apparently it's a lot harder to walk the walk than talk the talk - who knew ? wink.png

Strange that, I know of several people that have relocated out of Thailand in the last three months. I'll be skypeing one in 5 minutes, shall I pass on a message? wink.png

Hey!!! Cheer up it's my Birthday tomorrow AND I will be .....yrs old. I just opened my last bottle of Gentleman JD, and need to read something other than pensioners cant live at home....have you ever asked yourself WHY????

I should be quite p***ed later, so wont be posting....but please carry on.

an ab a beer on me.......

Rgds

Weegee

Apparently it's a lot harder to walk the walk than talk the talk - who knew ? wink.png

Well, with the Aussie dollar getting smoked these days, I wonder how long it'll be before members of our Antipodean contingent are crying into their barbied shrimp.

Do you live in Thailand? Is the pound your national currency? Why do you need to say that people have big mouths?

I complain about a lot of things, but in the end I do what I want to do and live where I want. And I'm not running away from anything, either.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Hey!!! Cheer up it's my Birthday tomorrow AND I will be .....yrs old. I just opened my last bottle of Gentleman JD, and need to read something other than pensioners cant live at home....have you ever asked yourself WHY????

I should be quite p***ed later, so wont be posting....but please carry on.

an ab a beer on me.......

Rgds

Weegee

Weegee, happy birthday. Oh, you'll still be posting but we just won't be able to decipher what you're saying. :)

• Like 1