Caught with cannabis

Benni81

As it was told before , try to talk to the police and make this thing go away. trust me when I tell you it would not be the first time this would happen, we had something similar happen with a Thai nephew of mine. cost 30,000 bht

If you have Thai family member that you trust have them talk to the police on your behalf, explain to the policemen how you are a good boy, how you didn't know, and how you will never do it again,. have the ask him if he knows of some one who can help you, most likely he will say that he knows someone who can help but it will cost, this way he does not admit it is him who is taking the money, and looks good for helping,

He will pocket the money, and your arrest report will get lost.

Of course there is NO 'gaurentee' it will get lost, it MAY get 'partially' lost then require MORE money...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best you have a lawyer beside you.
May he can make a pre court arrangement for you.
Normally, the lawyers, prosecutors and judges knowing each other well.

As I understand your case, the police have already given your case to the public prosecutor
and a court date is scheduled. The path via the police now, "Please can you help me," is imo too late. Better to contact a lawyer and let him speak with the prosecutor.

But anyway it is good to have an thai/english speaking lawyer in the court beside you!
Good luck.
Edited by tomacht8

I cannot speak of the penalties of marijuana use. Let me tell you this, Every month I fly with my wife down to Bangkok (Women's Prison). Her daughter (Thai by previous marriage) is 23 and received 10 years for 3 tablets of yaba (personal use). My wife said she received a cal fst before they sentenced her daughter. The person on the phone (anonymous) said it would cost 1 million baht to avoid prison. At that time (2 years ago) she did not have the money..so guess what? Yep 10 years. 2 Completed...and we are hoping for amnesty in 3 more years. Once sentenced, it was not possible to avoid prison. Do what you can before sentencing.

I used to go to CM women's prison for massages.....they were very well trained on the tail end of their sentences.

So as most of them were in for yaba I heard a lot of stories.

I can tell you....you probably already know.....that 10 years for 3 pills is way out of line.

Sentences are pretty stiff.

Roughly I was told:

a few pills (like 3) maybe 3 years.

low distribution (like 50) maybe 5 years.

I agree with stiff sentencing for yaba.....it can make a real mess of people very quickly, it genuinely is a ruiner of lives.

However as I say 10 years for 3 pills is way out of line.

Edited by cheeryble

The NCB followed the passing just a year earlier of the Thailand Psychotropic Substances Act 2518 (1975), which listed 108 controlled items in four classifications17, and also saw an assortment of Thailand drug and narcotics laws (Kratom Plant Act B.E. 2486 (1943), Marijuana Act B.E. 2486 (1943), and Narcotics Act, B.E. 2465 (1922)) combined into the Thailand Narcotics Act, B.E. 2522 (1979).18

The Thailand Narcotic Act B.E. 2522 states the current potential punishments for the possession of marijuana in Thailand:

For possession of up to 10kg, the maximum sentence is 5 years in prison and/or a fine of 50,000 baht.

For possession of more than 10kg, it is considered as possession with intent to sell. The sentence can range from 2 - 15 years in prison, and/or include a fine of 20,000 to 150,000 baht. Charges can also be levied for amounts of 10kg or more for the intent to produce, import or export cannabis. The sentence is the same.

The NCB followed the passing just a year earlier of the Thailand Psychotropic Substances Act 2518 (1975), which listed 108 controlled items in four classifications17, and also saw an assortment of Thailand drug and narcotics laws (Kratom Plant Act B.E. 2486 (1943), Marijuana Act B.E. 2486 (1943), and Narcotics Act, B.E. 2465 (1922)) combined into the Thailand Narcotics Act, B.E. 2522 (1979).18

The Thailand Narcotic Act B.E. 2522 states the current potential punishments for the possession of marijuana in Thailand:

For possession of up to 10kg, the maximum sentence is 5 years in prison and/or a fine of 50,000 baht.

For possession of more than 10kg, it is considered as possession with intent to sell. The sentence can range from 2 - 15 years in prison, and/or include a fine of 20,000 to 150,000 baht. Charges can also be levied for amounts of 10kg or more for the intent to produce, import or export cannabis. The sentence is the same.

i think you have made a mistake there, its not 10 KG but 10 G

For possession of more than 10kg, it is considered as possession with intent to sell. The sentence can range from 2 - 15 years in prison, and/or include a fine of 20,000 to 150,000 baht.

Imagine getting caught with 9kg of weed in the UK and telling the Old Bill that all 9kg was for personal use. I don't think they'd stop laughing for a week.

Hey thought my reply went through.... another try:

As long as the case has not reached the court yet you can try to reach an 'understanding' with your friendly policdeman, something like in the area of the bail. Ask him/them if there is anything they could do for you but don't mention the word money or cor....... I assume the case has not reached the prosecutor yet, if it does you would have to pay him of too.

Result of it is that your case would be just closed and no info send either to prosecutor nor to court. Once it is at the court you cannot do such deals anymore.

5 g is a trivial amount, so everything could be easily settled at the very beginning meaning our friendly policeforce.

Don't trust a lawyer. I actually know a good and trustful one in your area but you might want to need him only if the police does not want to reach a deal after your first approach. Cheaper for you. If it does not work you might want to get one (you are in smokers paradise Pai right?). The advantage of a lawyer is that they know that he knows all the tricks so they will not play the game of trying to get a ridiculous sum from you (they might want however to put your lawyer into that lovely scheme, that's why you need a trustful one...)

Good luck!

Whilst I am in no way suggesting that you should go ahead and break the law again, this is pretty good advice if you don't mind breaking the law again before things get out of hand.

Some bad luck man.

Not really. Not getting on a high horse or anything, but that all South East Asian countries do not take drugs lightly. Whether I agree with these policies is besides the point; it is just the laws. I stopped touching weed when I came to SE Asia 20 years ago.

P.S.: And I don't drive drunk.....

This sentiment says it in a coconut nutshell, you gotta be wacko to do drugs in any East Asia country, and Thailand particularly. Probably many more but I have not been to Malaysia where it might be worse, for all I know. Tourists coming here just have not assimilated this knowledge into their bones, yet.

I do not know how long some of you posters have been in this area, but after about 1980 when the war on drugs began for real with big bucks behind it, as well as military weaponry provided by the USA, illicit drug taking is far too dangerous to contemplate.

If you wanted to take drugs in Asia, then you should have been here 1970, or before.

Far safer then.

Now, it is a fools pastime.

Toke up, and many will get taken down hard.

Singapore Hash was great decades ago, but it might kill you in prison now.

Stick with Singapore Slings and a good Whistle Cleaning, you're gonna get HIGH high, and stick within the law.

I would not say all of Asia, Cambodia weed is available all the time or i should say last time I was there which was about 7 years ago.

You even have I believe Happy Harry's which puts it on the pizza. Also in North Laos there is a town where the police ignore. The bars have signs outside saying how much for hash, this that etc. It might be illegal thee but it's not being enforced yet!

Some bad luck man.

Not really. Not getting on a high horse or anything, but that all South East Asian countries do not take drugs lightly. Whether I agree with these policies is besides the point; it is just the laws. I stopped touching weed when I came to SE Asia 20 years ago.

P.S.: And I don't drive drunk.....

This sentiment says it in a coconut nutshell, you gotta be wacko to do drugs in any East Asia country, and Thailand particularly. Probably many more but I have not been to Malaysia where it might be worse, for all I know. Tourists coming here just have not assimilated this knowledge into their bones, yet.

I do not know how long some of you posters have been in this area, but after about 1980 when the war on drugs began for real with big bucks behind it, as well as military weaponry provided by the USA, illicit drug taking is far too dangerous to contemplate.

If you wanted to take drugs in Asia, then you should have been here 1970, or before.

Far safer then.

Now, it is a fools pastime.

Toke up, and many will get taken down hard.

Singapore Hash was great decades ago, but it might kill you in prison now.

Stick with Singapore Slings and a good Whistle Cleaning, you're gonna get HIGH high, and stick within the law.

I would not say all of Asia, Cambodia weed is available all the time or i should say last time I was there which was about 7 years ago.

You even have I believe Happy Harry's which puts it on the pizza. Also in North Laos there is a town where the police ignore. The bars have signs outside saying how much for hash, this that etc. It might be illegal thee but it's not being enforced yet!

Was on a visa run a few years ago to Cambodia and the Cambodian motorbike taxi man wanted to sell me 1kg for $100!! This was ten minutes after entering the kingdom.

Me - I won't do the crime because i don't want the time!

Easy for the unsuspecting tourist to get lured in though, then complacency, then the Hilton etc

CCC

You should absolutely approach the officer before the court date and try to arrange a fine "to keep it from going to court." If you know any Thai business owners or upstanding folks ask them to come with you for a "private meeting" to quietly discuss and explain that you dont understand Thai and they are there to interpret and clear it for you. If the cop is senior enough he will probably have a number for you. Pay it via your Thai friend.

I read most of the posting so far, but ... not sure if this was asked yet... Did they give you a receipt for the fine you already paid? Receipt for passport? Letter or official documentation citing case # etc? If not on any of these your chances to pay your way out are quite good.

Its always good idea to use a 3rd party, a go between. It always smooths things in Thailand (and Asia in general) as the conversation is not one on one anymore. Thais soften faster in this context.

this is totally true. 3rd party seems key to everything in thailand. lol.

Well, I hope the OP finds a way out of this. I don't want to see anyone in a Thai prison.

But dang, people. Let's all take a lesson and stay away from that stuff in Thailand. All arguments that it's harmless or whatever are moot. This is serious chit.

My friend got caught with some weed coming back from Pattaya to BKK about 5-6 years ago. They took the bus and I told them not to bring anything back.

they didn't listen and the police checked them when getting off the bus. I cant recall how much they had, but it was not much. They were just on holiday so they called me. I went and met with them and the police before they were taken to the station. I spoke to the police and we worked things out 20,000B and all was good. I'm sure if you have a good thai friend and get them to call the police office that arrested you things should still be able to be worked out.

Really when you first got caught you should have tried to talk to the cop at the time. Most of the time this is what they are wanting anyway. It's still not too late. My GF sister got arrested the one time and the police called our condo telling my GF that if we pay 10K she would be released and the case would go away.

So it should still be able to work things out but might cost more as Im sure a few more people will need to be taken care of.

A good thai friend of mine once told me. The only people in jail in Thailand are the ones that cant afford to pay a bribe. Most likely not completely true but maybe not too far off. Good luck and get someone to help you ASAP to speak to the police!!

Was on a visa run a few years ago to Cambodia and the Cambodian motorbike taxi man wanted to sell me 1kg for $100!! This was ten minutes after entering the kingdom.

Easy for the unsuspecting tourist to get lured in though, then complacency, then the Hilton etc

CCC

Most likely a good move on your part. Last time I was on PP which was like 7 or 8 years ago guys were selling packs of cigarettes but filled with joints. I think maybe 10-15 joints in the pack for $1. I good friend of mine lived in PP for many years working for the UN. He loved the place as he said he could smoke just about anywhere any time and police never did anything about it. He said they could care less, things might have changed since then as he lived there about 10 years ago.

CCC

Most likely a good move on your part. Last time I was on PP which was like 7 or 8 years ago guys were selling packs of cigarettes but filled with joints. I think maybe 10-15 joints in the pack for $1. I good friend of mine lived in PP for many years working for the UN. He loved the place as he said he could smoke just about anywhere any time and police never did anything about it. He said they could care less, things might have changed since then as he lived there about 10 years ago.

Still plenty of dope around but they did bust one of the Happy Pizza places here in Siem Reap a couple of months ago; arresting everybody inside.

I still don't and wouldn't do dope here. I would have to purchase it somewhere and, Siem Reap being a small town, everybody would know about it in no time. Great leverage the day the cops do want to shake me down.

Still plenty of dope around but they did bust one of the Happy Pizza places here in Siem Reap a couple of months ago; arresting everybody inside.

I still don't and wouldn't do dope here. I would have to purchase it somewhere and, Siem Reap being a small town, everybody would know about it in no time. Great leverage the day the cops do want to shake me down.

So they still have the Happy pizza places. I know the first time I went to PP back 99 or 2000 they had them then so have been around along time. Owning a business you always have to be careful. PM me on your place will need to stop in when I come down.

Get a good lawyer and don't take any of the 'free' legal advice on these forums. Like all the postings about visas, these are all opinions and quite worthless, even though well-intentioned.

Hummm

This smacks of 'free' legal advice...

Well, I hope the OP finds a way out of this. I don't want to see anyone in a Thai prison.

But dang, people. Let's all take a lesson and stay away from that stuff in Thailand. All arguments that it's harmless or whatever are moot. This is serious chit.

The substance might be harmless and even good against cancer but the punishment for using isnt thanks to the good USA good thing we back in the Netherlands never caved for that pressure. I seldom touched it back home and have no need to do it here and would not because of the punishments but drugs laws are crazy laws.

Hey thought my reply went through.... another try:

As long as the case has not reached the court yet you can try to reach an 'understanding' with your friendly policdeman, something like in the area of the bail. Ask him/them if there is anything they could do for you but don't mention the word money or cor....... I assume the case has not reached the prosecutor yet, if it does you would have to pay him of too.

Result of it is that your case would be just closed and no info send either to prosecutor nor to court. Once it is at the court you cannot do such deals anymore.

5 g is a trivial amount, so everything could be easily settled at the very beginning meaning our friendly policeforce.

Don't trust a lawyer. I actually know a good and trustful one in your area but you might want to need him only if the police does not want to reach a deal after your first approach. Cheaper for you. If it does not work you might want to get one (you are in smokers paradise Pai right?). The advantage of a lawyer is that they know that he knows all the tricks so they will not play the game of trying to get a ridiculous sum from you (they might want however to put your lawyer into that lovely scheme, that's why you need a trustful one...)

Good luck!

even better if Thai GF asks for you,

dam_n, 20-50k for every dumb farang out there no wonder the BIB love us so much. wub.png

I have a lot of friends using this kind of products in Europe, but then again we are in a different country, where different, right or wrong, rules are used.

By the way, all farang can read english, and maybe understand, and it is WIDELY advertised illegal substances are prohibited and subject to capital sentence.

Though I am not a smoker, it seems if you do not have 100k baht to pay as a "fine", probably better to refrain from smoking here. Like most laws here, it depends on how much cash you have, whether or not you will walk Scot free.

In koh phangan, at every full moon party, several people end up getting busted. Many times they are set up with dealers friendly with the police. I am told it is 100k baht even for one joint. So, it is not about the law, nor prevention. It is simply about more cash, to buy another villa.

G'day. Seems like there is lots of good advice here, stand fast the 'narks'. I don't know anyone who has been busted here, (not farangs anyway). I agree, and without revealing my sources, I do have it on very good authority that the sooner you 'nip it in the bud' (pardon the pun) the better it is for you. Meaning that you should come to an 'understanding' and an 'agreement' as quickly as possible, before the formal paperwork goes up the line,

I was here during the R&R Days too. Things have changed a bit since then.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out OK for you.

Newspaper article delted per forum rules.

You can link to an article only with a link, mentioning the source and only qouting the first 3 lines/sentences per copy right laws.

ok,

As for the broader issue - This caused a bit of controversy in Australia just last week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/expert-calls-for-marijuana-to-be-legalised-to-reduce-harm-of-binge-drinking-in-teens/story-fni0diac-1226676714223

Edited by cpofc
full qoute of newspaper

G'day. Seems like there is lots of good advice here, stand fast the 'narks'. I don't know anyone who has been busted here, (not farangs anyway). I agree, and without revealing my sources, I do have it on very good authority that the sooner you 'nip it in the bud' (pardon the pun) the better it is for you. Meaning that you should come to an 'understanding' and an 'agreement' as quickly as possible, before the formal paperwork goes up the line,

I was here during the R&R Days too. Things have changed a bit since then.

As for the broader issue - This caused a bit of controversy in Australia just last week.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out for you.

Expert calls for marijuana to be legalised to reduce harm of binge drinking in teens

Aleks Devic

Herald Sun - Melbourne Australia

July 10, 2013 12:01AM

THE head of Australia's leading alcohol research body has called for marijuana to be legalised to reduce the harm of drinking.

Robin Room, director of the Centre for Alcohol Policy Research, says marijuana should be legalised under strict controls because the social harm associated with it was significantly less than from drinking.

"It makes sense to legalise marijuana in a controlled market," he told the Herald Sun yesterday. "We are in a situation where we need to look ahead. I think we need to have the discussion and it makes a lot of sense in terms of, among others, cutting down government costs to have a fairly highly controlled legal (cannabis) market and, while we are at it, tighten up the legal market of alcohol in the same way we tightened up the market of tobacco."

Prof Room, a leading academic at Melbourne University, is funded by the Department of Human Services.

In an ideal world, Prof Room said teens would not smoke marijuana or drink alcohol to excess.

But if an 18-year-old was going to use substances, he said they would likely land themselves in less trouble after using cannabis rather than bingeing on alcohol.

Teens were "better off" on a mixture of booze and marijuana rather than just pure alcohol in social settings, he added. Alcohol was more dangerous than cannabis because it had a closer association with aggression and violence, loss of co-ordination and impacts on work and family life, he said.

"Cannabis is not without harm but it's substantially less than alcohol and tobacco in terms of social harm," he said.

"If you are adding the cannabis to an equal amount of alcohol, then in some ways you'd be probably less likely to be aggressive but it's a bad idea to add it on if you want to drive a car."

Prof Room said if marijuana were legalised, among the measures to control the use should be "state sellers" and "state stores" where sales were regulated. It should not be sold in supermarkets nor advertised on TV or at sporting matches.

While Prof Room acknowledged many people would be "surprised" and even "bothered" by his stance, the statistics backed him up.

The controversial proposal comes as Melbourne continues to battle booze-fuelled violence, and alcohol-related hospital admissions soar for men and women.

The professor is a fool, why propose something that be severely resisted by the politicians. A more viable and reasonable approach for him would have been to call for de-criminalisation (very diffferent to legalising) in all states and territories.

Edited by simple1

You need to take a highly respected friend of a friend or a lawyer to the police station, tell them you are very sorry and you completely accept that you were wrong and that you have stopped and will never do it again, after which you should bow your head a little and ask if there is any way possible that you can settle the whole matter now. Make sure you can back up IE the settlement within a very short period of time.

• Like 1

even better if Thai GF asks for you,

Unless the GF is a lawyer, contracted government employee like a teacher, nurse etc you are being very very naive about negotiations and influence within Thai culture.

• Like 1

And wake up - your not in Kansas Toto...

Actually, you're not in Washington State or Colorado where it's now legal. :) If you wish to smoke weed, you should probably consider a vacation in Seattle.

Though I am not a smoker, it seems if you do not have 100k baht to pay as a "fine", probably better to refrain from smoking here. Like most laws here, it depends on how much cash you have, whether or not you will walk Scot free.

Had a mouthy lad that was annoying me last week who was well coke'd out of his head I mentioned he should pull his neck in a bit and the laws in Thailand and his reply was "Xxxx'em, they try to do me I'll toss em Bt5000 and they will leave me alone"........... I suggested he was not too far off a jail term with an attitude like that.

He got all pissy and wanted to sort it with fists.................. anyone guess the nationality !!

Edited by metisdead