Caught with cannabis

Benni81

A hefty fine and deportation.

The fine could be any amount and not able to pay or buy himself out, will result in a long stay at a Thai stink hole prison, where even the rats and flies avoid due to the extreme foul hygiene conditions.

Whatever, the OP`s days are numbered in Thailand or maybe turned into a living hell.

Hope he has a bottomless pit of cash at hand and a darned good lawyer who won`t be cheap?

What a load of crap; don't believe a word of it. The fine for that amount will be a couple thousand at the most.

Deportation will depend on the status of your visa when the case concludes. If by that time you visa has expired you will be handed over to immigration who will use their judgement to decide if you should be deported or allowed to stay in the country.

It is not a big deal, you are not looking at any sort of prison time, the only thing that you have to worry about is spending a couple of weeks in immigration detention if they decide to deport you.

The fine will be way more than a few thousand baht. If you can't come up with 20-40k, you'll end up in jail. Then the amount goes up. Don't pay, you don't get out.

There was a thread on Lonely Planet a few years ago about a guy caught on Koh Chang that couldn't get the money together. I quit following the thread after a year. He was still in jail.

• Like 1

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am not a smoker, it seems if you do not have 100k baht to pay as a "fine", probably better to refrain from smoking here. Like most laws here, it depends on how much cash you have, whether or not you will walk Scot free.

Had a mouthy lad that was annoying me last week who was well coke'd out of his head I mentioned he should pull his neck in a bit and the laws in Thailand and his reply was "Xxxx'em, they try to do me I'll toss em Bt5000 and they will leave me alone"........... I suggested he was not too far off a jail term with an attitude like that.

He got all pissy and wanted to sort it with fists.................. anyone guess the nationality !!

Pom chav?

Nah...probably an Aussie....

Probably either Pom or Aussie facepalm.gif

I heard of someone busted for hard thing on/near kho san, it cost them something like 20k to get off, but i was told this: THE COPS GAVE THE STASH BACK TO THE CULPRIT!!!

Common practice.

I knew a guy who got busted on KSR for half a jay. He spent 2 nights in jail and was prosecuted- the fine was minimal. However, when he went on a visa run he was advised by the immi guys that he was on a BL and if he left he wouldn't be allowed to return. The guy advised him to return to his Thai town of residence and get it sorted out. He did with the help of some contacts he worked out- cost him 300k baht according to him. This would be about 6 years ago but everything I know about it came from him, so no 3rd party proof.

I knew a guy who got busted on KSR for half a jay. He spent 2 nights in jail and was prosecuted- the fine was minimal. However, when he went on a visa run he was advised by the immi guys that he was on a BL and if he left he wouldn't be allowed to return. The guy advised him to return to his Thai town of residence and get it sorted out. He did with the help of some contacts he worked out- cost him 300k baht according to him. This would be about 6 years ago but everything I know about it came from him, so no 3rd party proof.

Some knowledgeable folks say it is virtually impossible to get off the BL, so the price mentioned strikes me as not higher than I would have thought - and perhaps lower.

The fine could be any amount and not able to pay or buy himself out, will result in a long stay at a Thai stink hole prison, where even the rats and flies avoid due to the extreme foul hygiene conditions.

Whatever, the OP`s days are numbered in Thailand or maybe turned into a living hell.

Hope he has a bottomless pit of cash at hand and a darned good lawyer who won`t be cheap?

What a load of crap; don't believe a word of it. The fine for that amount will be a couple thousand at the most.

Deportation will depend on the status of your visa when the case concludes. If by that time you visa has expired you will be handed over to immigration who will use their judgement to decide if you should be deported or allowed to stay in the country.

It is not a big deal, you are not looking at any sort of prison time, the only thing that you have to worry about is spending a couple of weeks in immigration detention if they decide to deport you.

Not true at all.

Just about 6-8 weeks ago, a Thai(brother of one of the staff) failed the test(urine test)

Bail 25 000, Court fine 10 000 or 15 000(can double check), must come for tests every 3 months for 2 years i believe(but can double check). Police keeps the bail for that period

So do not go on believing that everyone walks away with minimal punishment

Edited by lemoncake

for majority of the cases, no jail sentences or deportation. from personal experience and others. just do a search in here and <URL Automatically Removed>

majority of the people who jailed for years for personal and small* possession of weed, yaba and other minor drugs are the ones who struggled, caught from escaping, altitude problems or denied charges.

• Like 1

Not true at all.

Just about 6-8 weeks ago, a Thai(brother of one of the staff) failed the test(urine test)

Bail 25 000, Court fine 10 000 or 15 000(can double check), must come for tests every 3 months for 2 years i believe(but can double check). Police keeps the bail for that period

So do not go on believing that everyone walks away with minimal punishment

Correct for fines and conditions (can vary e.g. bail at 20k baht for a member of my family) imposed by the Provincial Court in Jomtien. When convicted his bail was returned. A long story, but he spent a few days at the remand centre in Pattaya & vowed ever again.

Edited by simple1

too bad it wasn't yaba! they don't aprove of dangerous drugs like pot here. lol

Are you an idiot?

You've never hear of Thailand's attitude about drugs?

By the way..Thanks, you make all farangs look bad...and stupid!

What a load of ******

How many people here haven't had a smoke of cannabis in their home country when it was illegal. It is also a harmless drug especially compared to something like alcohol.

• Like 1

Wow that's way too much. It used to be 500 baht in Bangkok if caught with ganja about 15 years ago. Straight to the polkiceman of course and not going to court.

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

How many people here haven't had a smoke of cannabis in their home country when it was illegal. It is also a harmless drug especially compared to something like alcohol.

Many brain dead idiots from school would suggest otherwise, amazing what 20 years of bongs will do to the brain cells.

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

What a load of ******

Obviously some people here don't even have enough intelligence to recognise if you are caught the difference between the justice system and the way you will be treated in this country compared to your home in the West?

Wow that's way too much. It used to be 500 baht in Bangkok if caught with ganja about 15 years ago. Straight to the polkiceman of course and not going to court.

And these points will the basis for your defence in court will they?

Let us know how that works out for you. cheesy.gif

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

What a load of ******

Obviously some people here don't even have enough intelligence to recognise if you are caught the difference between the justice system and the way you will be treated in this country compared to your home in the West?

What a load of ******

I'd rather be caught here with dope any day than my home country as I DO know the way it works here. And being a foreigner would work to my advantage due to the jobs I've done for the local people who would decide my fate.

Edited by Neeranam

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

Many brain dead idiots from school would suggest otherwise, amazing what 20 years of bongs will do to the brain cells.

20 years of bong hits or 20 years of whiskey is not good for anyone but whiskey is worse.

Even relatively harmless drugs can be dangerous if abused.

In my country 3 out of 4 court cases are alcohol related. Smoking a bong is harmless to society.

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

20 years of bong hits or 20 years of whiskey is not good for anyone but whiskey is worse.

Even relatively harmless drugs can be dangerous if abused.

In my country 3 out of 4 court cases are alcohol related. Smoking a bong is harmless to society.

So why do you claim it is harmless then ?

Are you an idiot?

What a load of ******

What a load of ******

What a load of ******

I'd rather be caught here with dope any day than my home country as I DO know the way it works here. And being a foreigner would work to my advantage due to the jobs I've done for the local people who would decide my fate.

But it is not always possible to buy your way out in Thailand.

Some cops believe it or not will not take a bribe so if you are unlucky enough to be caught by one of those you will have to go through the system.

If possible you should try to pay your way out. Don't worry about the cost just pay up and move on. Anything could happen if you have to go through the system and whatever happens wont be pleasant.

its not that complicated.

thailand is completely corrupt, you can pay your way through almost any crime,

just get mom & paps to western union you the money for it and use a thai student to translate and get your way up to the top.

I'd reccomend some bullshit about wanting to speak to the person personally so you can explain your academic situation ( e.g. hoping to become a med student)

cannabis is a street drug. like all street drugs it has additives to keep the fiend coming back. Its a bad one as it makes you a full on retard for upto 3 days afterwards and messes up your eyes so you are unnatractive and unable to work in a customer facing position.

Hey I'm still here and I'm waiting for my trail& after visits at the court house. Not sure what is happening. But I couldn't pay my way out like everyone thinks here on the forum. You guys think its just taking some money and just hand them to the police chief. You think wrong. Not that easy. And for all the haters, don't bother to write cuz it's just bullshit. But thanks to the rest. I probl get deported when all this is finished, I think it's just a miner crime nothing to crazy. See what happens after a months time . I will keep it posted here.

• Like 2

Hey I'm still here and I'm waiting for my trail& after visits at the court house. Not sure what is happening. But I couldn't pay my way out like everyone thinks here on the forum. You guys think its just taking some money and just hand them to the police chief. You think wrong. Not that easy. And for all the haters, don't bother to write cuz it's just bullshit. But thanks to the rest. I probl get deported when all this is finished, I think it's just a miner crime nothing to crazy. See what happens after a months time . I will keep it posted here.

Thanks for keeping in touch. I hope you do not get deported though you do deserve a kick in the backside for not being more careful. Prepare for the worst and have the money available and someone on the outside to buy a ticket for you if you need it and pay your fines and it should not be too bad.

If you do get deported as it is canabis you will get a 5 year ban from entering.

Let us know you are OK even if the worst happens it may help something.

just get mom & paps to western union you the money for it and use a thai student to translate and get your way up to the top.

I'd reccomend some bullshit about wanting to speak to the person personally so you can explain your academic situation ( e.g. hoping to become a med student)

cannabis is a street drug. like all street drugs it has additives to keep the fiend coming back. Its a bad one as it makes you a full on retard for upto 3 days afterwards and messes up your eyes so you are unnatractive and unable to work in a customer facing position.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

x 100 if you don't know anything about drugs better to keep your mouth shut. I am Dutch, used it back in the Netherlands and I can tell you its nothing like you describe. Are you an American by any chance ?

I have a few friends who smoke pot in Pattaya and they stopped a couple of years back because apparently the pot was being sprayed with some chemicals.

I don't know if that is the case now but it certainly was a few years back.

That is not to say that I agree with the poster because by and large this is not the case.

cheesy.gif

x 100 if you don't know anything about drugs better to keep your mouth shut. I am Dutch, used it back in the Netherlands and I can tell you its nothing like you describe. Are you an American by any chance ?

I have a few friends who smoke pot in Pattaya and they stopped a couple of years back because apparently the pot was being sprayed with some chemicals.

That is not to say that I agree with the poster because by and large this is not the case.

Some unscrupulous growers use chemical pesticides for obvious reasons, but they seem to come and go, probably because smokers eventually realise it and that batch ceases to have any buyers. Either it's the new growers who do it thinking they'll get away with it or it's the same grower pulling a fast one every time he thinks he's in danger of losing his crop.

cheesy.gif

I would not know about the quality of it in Thailand as i prefer to stay away from it for the obvious reasons (training and police). But I know people who did smoke it here and it was good.

Well this was a couple of years back in Pattaya and may not be true now.

On a related note the guy next door to me sits out the front and smokes reefers and stinks up the whole street.

He doesn't seem to worry about the police and getting caught.

I have warned him that he is setting himself up for trouble but he continues to do it.

Some people like to learn the hard way.

On a related note the guy next door to me sits out the front and smokes reefers and stinks up the whole street.

I have warned him that he is setting himself up for trouble but he continues to do it.

You are now in OZ ? Might be that they are also more liberal there now.

If in Thailand that is just crazy, the friend that i talk about stopped smoking as he got paranoid about the police and people catching the smell of his smoking. He said it did not make for a relaxing smoke having to worry so much so he stopped.

If in Thailand that is just crazy, the friend that i talk about stopped smoking as he got paranoid about the police and people catching the smell of his smoking. He said it did not make for a relaxing smoke having to worry so much so he stopped.

He should have got a vaporiser no smell no smoke easy peasythumbsup.gif

He should have got a vaporiser no smell no smoke easy peasythumbsup.gif

Seems I am way behind never heard of it before, but it has been ages since i did it ever since i left the Netherlands. I could not smoke then and cant smoke now (caughing my lungs out) so i used a bong.. seems like a vaporizer would have been better.