What's the most valuable trait or attribute for living here?

HardenedSoul

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me personally, a large dollop of cynicism, everyone is out to rip me off, whether Thai or farang, but especially farang.

Seen them all here, e-bayers, day time traders, full time poker players, property experts, boiler room scum, professional pool players, jewellery exporters who have never heard of Chantaburi, etc etc.

Since I stopped frequenting farang areas most of the above are no longer on the radar.

Basically, we are living in some else's house , Thailand didn't invite any of us Farangs to stay in its country. We chose it, didn't we?

I have turned my back on my home country of the UK, although I am still a passport holder or national.

I have applied for and have been given permission to live in Thailand.

Must say, with all its strange ways, its a far better place to be than the uk (as long as you have the cash).

I left the UK in 92 when I was 26, I had 1800 pounds, I bought a one way ticket to New Dehli with Aeroflot, never looked back or been happier.

• Like 2

I wouldn't know. For the life of me I can't understand why, if someone can afford to live in style in his home country, and just travel to Thailand a couple of times a year for extended vacations, he would permanently move.

I do understand that some countries, and the N. US have very cold winters and/or lots of snow or rain. That could be a reason but still that winter can be traded for a long vacation to a warmer spot.

I also understand that some do it for tax purposes in high tax countries and I can understand that.

I have to say that I'm always happy to land in Thailand, and just as happy to get home, where I don't need anyone's permission to be, and where I own my land.

$.02

• Like 1

Apparently, prejudice.

For me, the only thing I've needed wherever I may have wandered is a job.

Yeah that keeps most people honest but not all.

A friend of friend got a well-paid job with insurer in BKK. Got here from Blighty, took up his post and got fired within 6 months.

Lost the plot on the freedom to shag around and cheap booze even though he'd visited the country umpteen times.

Apparently, prejudice.

A friend of friend got a well-paid job with insurer in BKK. Got here from Blighty, took up his post and got fired within 6 months.

Lost the plot on the freedom to shag around and cheap booze even though he'd visited the country umpteen times.

You can lose the plot anywhere. I read about a chap who went berserk shooting people on a holiday island, and it turns out he was a native of that country. When I have my breakdown, I hope I don't blame the country in which it happens
  • Like 1

Restraint.

If you need restraint then Thailand is probably not the right place for a successful career. I think a clear focus and specific ambitions would suit you better. There's no harm in going into a sweetshop if you know you only want a quarter of soor plooms, or if you remember you're a paper boy with the evening news
  • Like 2

Restraint.

If you need restraint then Thailand is probably not the right place for a successful career. I think a clear focus and specific ambitions would suit you better. There's no harm in going into a sweetshop if you know you only want a quarter of soor plooms, or if you remember you're a paper boy with the evening news

wordsmith.jpg

StreetCowboy ... you are a wordsmith of the highest order ... wai.gif

• Like 1

Apparently, prejudice.

Know of quite a few people who came to Thailand on good jobs and lost the plot as well.....I think in some respects its expected for a little while when you arrive, certainly if your working for/with other farangs,but if it continues too long that when the problems start on the job front.....

I know when I came here to work, 11 years ago the first 6 weeks was certainly kid in candystore time...but after while you realise you cant keep doing it as you cant keep up with having an "active" social life and doing the job you were brought here for....

and I think thats were some people fail...they never realise that, and there maybe a degree of arrogance as well in that, they believe a company has taken the trouble to bring someone here to work, presumably on very good money/package...therefore the person concerned can do what they want as they are "so" important to the company and sometimes a very rude awakening occurs for those people

For me personally, a large dollop of cynicism, everyone is out to rip me off, whether Thai or farang, but especially farang.

Seen them all here, e-bayers, day time traders, full time poker players, property experts, boiler room scum, professional pool players, jewellery exporters who have never heard of Chantaburi, etc etc.

Since I stopped frequenting farang areas most of the above are no longer on the radar.

Seems to be a wide-spread attitude on thi forum; an attitude I do not share. Sure, there is a lot of white scum in Thailand, just as in the UK, the USA, or anywhere else. But there are also a lot of hard-working, decent farangs out there.

• Like 2