Chulalongkorn Fine and Applied Arts Faculty dean apologizes for Hitler graduation mural

webfact

Chulalongkorn Fine and Applied Arts Faculty dean apologizes for Hitler graduation mural
By Coconuts Bangkok

thailand-university-lg.jpg?itok=nM6On_Um
Photo: Simon Wiesenthal Center

BANGKOK: -- Chulalonkgorn Dean of Fine and Applied Arts Faculty Associate Professor Supakorn Dispan apologized to the public yesterday for the benightedness of his students for putting up a superhero-inspired graduation mural that also featured the visage of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

The apology followed a comment made on July 12 by an official at the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a US-based Jewish human rights organization. The Center framed its commentary with the headline, “Wiesenthal Center outraged and disgusted by the silence of University’s Elite.”

The Center accompanied its writing with a photo of a fresh graduate doing a “Seig Heil” salute, a gesture of greeting in Nazi Germany, in front of the mural. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/15/fine-and-applied-arts-facultys-dean-apologizes-hitler-graduation-mural

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-15

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really an apology...an explanation of good and bad superheroes.

My view it either needs a full apolgy...with no conditions or none.

maybe they apologise for the terrible paintjob they all look like painted by a 8 year old

if this is their definition of "FINE art " please close the collage

• Like 2

The reach of 'the center' is limitless as is the benightedness of the institution. In short, 'the center' shouldn't/shouldn't have to step in because the university should be grooming Thailand's best and brightest to be leaders in society, not misfits.

• Like 1

Now look here! - What sort of apology is this? _ I think we can learn a lot from this pronouncement...and none of it positive.

I'd like to know if it was originally made in English or Thai language?

Anyhow, somewhere along the line it picks up the word benighted - what kind of vocabulary is that????

" in a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance, typically owing to a lack of opportunity:"

It is a word I don't often use but intend to make a lot more use of, especially when referring to high-ranking officials and institutions in Thailand - so thanks for that.

There are 2 possibilities...

1 - He'd been trying with his colleagues to dream up a statement to save face - i.e. blame it on the students

OR

2 - It is TRUE!

So - are we now to accept that the students were in in a state of pitiful or contemptible intellectual or moral ignorance, typically owing to a lack of opportunity: and this is from - THE VERY PERSON WHOSE JOB IT IS TO OVERSEE THEIR EDUCATION!!!!!!

Either way I would say that if this is the best the dean can do he should resign!

• Like 1

I suggest that this Uni should organise some field trips to a museum in Kanchanaburi.

should invite Associate Professor Supakorn Dispan as the lead of this field trip.

a bit of disappointing this 'apology' is not made by the PRESIDENT of the university. why grill the doers ?

I would prefer her to rip open her shirt like Superman.

What a truly ignorant and horrendous picture.

As well as the horrendous apology attempt.

Hitler is not a bad super hero, or bad uber mensche.

At most he might be called an anti-hero, the antithesis of a hero.

But really he personifies all that the actual cartoon super heros portraied fight against.

To imply that students are fine art students based on this graduation mural is ludicrous.

Mis-Applied artists at best. Bloody fools at worst.

Edited by Scott