Tariffs planned for Bangkok petrol stations

webfact

Tariffs planned for city petrol stations
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30210527-01_big.jpg?1373929258316

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to impose a tariff on the sale of petrol and alternative automotive fuels at service stations in the capital.

It also plans to boost the collection of existing taxes to acquire more revenue, Deputy Bangkok Governor Kritsada Kluntanont said yesterday.

The tariff will be imposed in January next year as scheduled - at 5 per cent of sales revenue of stations that provide benzene and diesel, as well as both LPG (liquified petroleum gas) and CNG (compressed natural gas), Kritsada said.

"This will give the BMA around Bt500 million a year," he added.

It's the first time Bangkok-based stations will be required to pay such a tariff, which is imposed by almost all municipalities and local administrative bodies across the country. The collection by the BMA of a tariff will be calculated on a basis of litres of petrol and gas, while other local bodies collect the rate on the basis of kilograms, the deputy governor said.

The BMA will also consider imposing tariffs on hotel accommodation and sales of tobacco in the capital, he said, adding that a large-scale amendment of BMA regulations would be made to facilitate the imposition of these two tariffs.

The BMA has been planning to impose monthly fees for wastewater treatment upon households, in accordance with the volume of tap water each uses. However, it has not yet reached a conclusion with the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, which would calculate the formula of rates and charge the BMA for collection of the fees along with the monthly MWA bill. This wastewater-treatment fee, if collected, would earn the BMA around Bt1 billion a year.

Kritsada also discussed collection of car-parking fees on main streets and branch roads, which the BMA is authorised to do. The BMA would need to discuss with Traffic Police how to collect the fees or exempt parking fines in certain cases, and how to share the revenues if both parties agree to implement the car-park tariff in the future, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-16

"Kritsada also discussed collection of car-parking fees on main streets and branch roads, which the BMA is authorised to do. The BMA would need to discuss with Traffic Police how to collect the fees or exempt parking fines in certain cases, and how to share the revenues if both parties agree to implement the car-park tariff in the future, he said."

Well the BIB certainly do know how to collect fees.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Kritsada also discussed collection of car-parking fees on main streets and branch roads, which the BMA is authorised to do. The BMA would need to discuss with Traffic Police how to collect the fees or exempt parking fines in certain cases, and how to share the revenues if both parties agree to implement the car-park tariff in the future, he said.

I'm sure it will be handled without predjudice and corruption.

Or....The BMA could hire 4 monks like Luang Pu Nenkham.and collect Bt 1.2 Billion a year. The customers would gladly fork over the money to them and not be pissed off by higher petrol prices. A win-win situation...Thai style.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

It also plans to boost the collection of existing taxes to acquire more revenue, Deputy Bangkok Governor Kritsada Kluntanont said yesterday.

Collect as much as you can and send it outside, so elder brother will survive in his politics.

Sister will work hard for this... thumbsup.gif

(innuendo or sarcasm)

• Like 1

"Kritsada also discussed collection of car-parking fees on main streets and branch roads, which the BMA is authorised to do. The BMA would need to discuss with Traffic Police how to collect the fees or exempt parking fines in certain cases, and how to share the revenues if both parties agree to implement the car-park tariff in the future, he said."

You can just imagine the joyous hand rubbing going on in Police Stations across the capital. It’s like every policeman’s birthday has come at once. Oh, the possibility for the abuse of on the spot fines for this one are enormous. And yet for all that, I bet it doesn’t improve Bangkok congestion even one iota…. In fact I bet due to the BIB involvement, it somehow gets worse.

You can just imagine the joyous hand rubbing going on in Police Stations across the capital. It’s like every policeman’s birthday has come at once. Oh, the possibility for the abuse of on the spot fines for this one are enormous. And yet for all that, I bet it doesn’t improve Bangkok congestion even one iota…. In fact I bet due to the BIB involvement, it somehow gets worse.

Levy a tariff but explain what the funds are going to be used for... for example, the Passenger Service Charge that was made at airports and is now hidden in tickets was originally justified because the funds were to be in part applied for marketing for tourism in the country especially campaigns for areas outside main tourist locations of Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Chiang Mai... now what does it get use for? If they want to levy a charge on fuel then at least make some bold statement that it will be used to fix the awful roads in the city, even if its not going to happen it will make us feel better about having to pay 5% extra... the local government room tax - happens in many countries and was applied on Phuket for some time, nothing wrong with making tourists pay, all just more scams to put money into the pockets of the haves and none of it gets near the have nots. Business as usual in LOS.coffee1.gif

How come just about every other municipality levies this tax, but they don't in Bangkok? Bangkok petrol stations have some god given right to a higher profitability?

I want to to know on what part of fuel will they charge 5%? Before VAT and other taxes. It is noticeable that when outside BKK, fuel costs 3 to 6 satang more.

Gas95 is at 40.53 now. Great timing for announcing a fuel surcharge.

If only there were more E85 stations along the country stretches we drive. Some of my fellow S6 drivers have switched to E85 and are getting nearly the same mileage as I.

How come just about every other municipality levies this tax, but they don't in Bangkok? Bangkok petrol stations have some god given right to a higher profitability?

I want to to know on what part of fuel will they charge 5%? Before VAT and other taxes. It is noticeable that when outside BKK, fuel costs 3 to 6 satang more.

Gas95 is at 40.53 now. Great timing for announcing a fuel surcharge.

If only there were more E85 stations along the country stretches we drive. Some of my fellow S6 drivers have switched to E85 and are getting nearly the same mileage as I.

I consider the fact that the pumps outside are levied but those inside not to be so ridiculous it's beyond understanding.

How about a fee extracted each month from each vendor that obstructs any portion of any sidewalk? A fee of 1,000 baht per month per vendor would probably solve a lot of Bangkok's funding problems. coffee1.gif

They already pay a monthly fee to the BIB whether they obstruct or not.

How about a fee extracted each month from each vendor that obstructs any portion of any sidewalk? A fee of 1,000 baht per month per vendor would probably solve a lot of Bangkok's funding problems. coffee1.gif

They already pay a monthly fee to the BIB whether they obstruct or not.

Obviously the payment is not enough to keep the sidewalks clear of vendors so pedestrians can use the sidewalks for walking, which was my whole point. (See "each vendor that obstructs any portion of any sidewalk.")

Probably to offset the extra cost of land/rent in Bangkok.

Many petrol stations are closing now due to the wage hike plus the slum in sales due to the economy and many people in debt due to the new car scheme that they can't afford. This really isn't going to help.

How LPG stations will survive in the future is beyond me.

The BMA sure knows how to piss off the locals. Special Bangkok taxes/fees on fuel, parking, cigarettes etc?

They must be insane.

Isn't petrol expensive enough already?

Well the government cut taxes for the wealthy and businesses so they have to make it up from the pockets of the working class. It appears this is the one thing the Thai's have learned from other countries like the USA.

• Like 1

Probably to offset the extra cost of land/rent in Bangkok.

Many petrol stations are closing now due to the wage hike plus the slum in sales due to the economy and many people in debt due to the new car scheme that they can't afford. This really isn't going to help.

How LPG stations will survive in the future is beyond me.

It's a nonsense.