Thai court keeps asking for money

I have through a court case and basically its been appeal three times, I have won the case, its gone through various steps, and I am near the end where by a financial amount that is owed to me is held in account in my name, controlled by the court. Its taken about 5 years to get to this point. The problem is the court keeps asking for money all the time. Its like they are trying to break me financially so that the money won't get paid to me. Sometimes the money goes into my account, sometimes its a fee. I really don't understand why they keep asking for money and why we can't get to the end and get the money released to me. Seems to me the legal system is heavily weighed to rich people and they are the only people that can win. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. This is a court in Bangkok.

I didn't know where to post this.

I can read Thai so can read the court papers that come.

Edited by HotChoc

Some recommended reading for you, it may not help your cause but will give you good insight into the judicial system in LOS. The first is "Welcome to Hell" by Irishman Colin Martin and the second "Send Them to Hell" by Sebastian Williams. Hope it works out for you.

It is the amount of money owing which will dictate whether you can afford a lawyer potentially able to break through or you walk away. Many years ago I once won a case and secured judgement and still didn't get paid. Once it was pointed out that the further legal costs would exceed the amount owing I reluctantly walked away. Maybe you are being played deliberately. Don't know, but ut sounds that in your case you cannot here just walk away if you are being pushed for further payments to tip you into default.Whether you get paid or not you need to be extracted from the current drip-drip, so good luck.

Are you being asked directly for the money, or is an intermediary telling you the court needs the money?

I'm asking because I used to know someone that was scammed that way: we need 60k for the prosecutors' lunch, we need 100k for the judge's this and that, the PC in charge needs 25k, etc. In the end, everything turned out to be a scam perpetrated by the one he trusted most in LOS.

We have sorted the court out about asking for money. We did a deal with the judge (exact details withheld). I sent my lawyer, and we borrowed two lawyers from my wife's boss (he is a Thai Chinese businessman and has two lawyers permanently on his payroll). So three lawyers ganged up against him. Funny how things are done here; in the UK law is based on test cases; over here its much more about doing deals and signing contracts so its water tight.

I would advise anyone who gets into legal wrangles here not to trust anyone and get everything signed for and in writing. Often I don't even trust my lawyer so we also use my wifes bosses lawyers to double check (they have no interest in my case). As usual, look out for the shinangans and playing games with you. Apparently the court holds over 80 parcels of papers concerning my case so you can see the amount of going back and forth there has been!

Money is due to paid out by the end of August; if the court don't release the money they have to give me double what is owed. Either way I win. Its interesting to note that in terms of Thai law, everyone is equal, including foreigners. So for those who say foreigners cannot win cases in Thailand, I disagree.

Because of confidentiality and the name and shaming laws, I have not shared any details about the case or named anyone.

We have sorted the court out about asking for money. We did a deal with the judge (exact details withheld). I sent my lawyer, and we borrowed two lawyers from my wife's boss (he is a Thai Chinese businessman and has two lawyers permanently on his payroll). So three lawyers ganged up against him. Funny how things are done here; in the UK law is based on test cases; over here its much more about doing deals and signing contracts so its water tight.

I would advise anyone who gets into legal wrangles here not to trust anyone and get everything signed for and in writing. Often I don't even trust my lawyer so we also use my wifes bosses lawyers to double check (they have no interest in my case). As usual, look out for the shinangans and playing games with you. Apparently the court holds over 80 parcels of papers concerning my case so you can see the amount of going back and forth there has been!

Money is due to paid out by the end of August; if the court don't release the money they have to give me double what is owed. Either way I win. Its interesting to note that in terms of Thai law, everyone is equal, including foreigners. So for those who say foreigners cannot win cases in Thailand, I disagree.

Because of confidentiality and the name and shaming laws, I have not shared any details about the case or named anyone.

if only,k sara sara

"Its interesting to note that in terms of Thai law, everyone is equal...."

"Seems to me the legal system is heavily weighed to rich people and they are the only people that can win."

OP - Your two comments regarding Thai law and the Thai legal system could appear contradictory. Or are you saying that although under Thai law everybody is technically equal, but the manner in which the law is interpreted and administered by the courts favours the wealthy?

So really, it's the same as most countries in the west. thumbsup.gif