No Return Ticket(from Heathrow)

Hi,

I'm flying from Heathrow with British Airways and have a one way ticket to Bangkok.

Does any body know if I'm likely to get hassle when I try to check in or how I should play it if I do.

Thanks

Edited by metisdead
Topic title edited to remove all caps.

Do you have a visa? If so, no worries.

If, however, you plan to enter Thailand on a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp its possible that alert check-in staff may refuse your travel (as the airline are responsible for you if you are rejected entry).

You may be required to purchase a return ticket, but purchasing an onward ticket to somewhere like Singapore might be the better option.

You could tell them you have onward travel via bus, but they may not go for this without a ticket.

If you face difficulty you could purchase a ticket online: i.e. Thai Airways from Bangkok to Singapore or Air Asia to KL etc...

Why don't you get a tourist visa. The honorary consulates in the UK (IE: Hull) issue them with no problem and accept mail in applications that are turned around the same day received.

This would eliminate the ticket problem plus you would get a 60 day entry extendable for 30 days.

Edited by ubonjoe

I flew BA from LHR to BKK just recently (10 days ago) without onwards travel, no visa, and was neither asked nor bothered by staff. Completed the automated checkin, went to bag drop and boarded the flight...no probs!

Edit to say there was also no bother from BKK immigration on arrival...

Edited by Aussie777

Aussie777,

I'm coming from Ireland with my suitcase automatically checked in.

Can I do this automated check in and if so where.

I also need to know where I can get internet and a printer in heathrow.

Thanks for all who helped

Automated check-in depends on the airline, check their website.

Automated check-in will not say that you will not be checked. You still need to present your passport and boarding pass, and at that moment the airline can also check if you meet the entry requirements for your destination and deny you boarding if you don't.

Hundreds of people don't get checked if they meet the requirements for their destination, but sometimes people do get checked, and refused boarding.

Check-in staff are required to deny you entry if you can't produce an onward flight ticket. In most cases they will let you through anyway but don't bet on it.

Thai immigration can deny you entry too but I've never heard of them checking.

What if I bought the Laos Airways ticket online and showed it to them on my laptop.

Because wifi should be easy enough to find in heathrow but a printer might be different.

That is sufficient.

Edited by wprime

Along similar lines, just flew on a one-way ticket from Surabaya, Indonesia to Bangkok on Sunday and the Air Asia agent asked for my onward ticket; I showed her my one-year extension and she was fine...but, in 4 flights with Air Asia, I have not been asked; however, on every United flight from the U.S. to Thailand, I have been asked and on-line check-in was not allowed.

There are internet cafes/shops in LHR that provide a printing service.

"Internet terminals

There are pay-as-you-go computer desks with broadband access in every terminal, operated by Arqiva – you'll find locations on our terminal maps. You can pay using pre-paid vouchers, coins (UK pounds or euros) or credit cards. Printers are also available before security."

Taken from http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/services-and-facilities/internet-access/heathrow-wi_fi-and-internet-access

As Mac suggests a ticket without a cancellation fee may cost a little more, but if it is only for show. Also online travel companies the one that starts with T, with the elf, they allow a 24 hour cancellation free.

I have one airline suggestion for you: THAI Airways. Book any flight on their website out of Bangkok to any overseas destination, choose the "pay later at office" option provided you book for some random date well in advance (say 2-3 weeks ahead and also only book the flight the day before you travel to the airport for your flight), you have 72 hours to pay and you won't have to pay a cent if you choose not to actually purchase a flight with them but only book the flight for show. Print out this itinerary and show the check-in staff if questioned - it always works.

However, I don't think you would be refused otherwise, if you can show a credit card and/or make the check-in staff believe you have a ticket booked (even if in fact you don't). Whenever I've been asked I never have to show anything, I merely provide verbal confirmation of my onward travel arrangements and this is acceptable to the airline.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Right so,

I've booked the Thai Airways online,they sent me a "reservation confirmed" email.

Are the people at the British Airways check in going to know that I haven't paid for it yet.

It says "RESERVATION STATUS,CONFIRMED"

FLIGHT 1,CONFIRMED

FLIGHT 2 CONFIRMED.

Right so,

I've booked the Thai Airways online,they sent me a "reservation confirmed" email.

Are the people at the British Airways check in going to know that I haven't paid for it yet.

It says "RESERVATION STATUS,CONFIRMED"

FLIGHT 1,CONFIRMED

FLIGHT 2 CONFIRMED.

So long as you could demonstrate to any eagle-eyed check-in assistant at LHR that you would have the means of paying for this flight (e.g. in the form of a credit card), I would have thought it unlikely that you would be denied boarding on your BA flight on these grounds alone.

Incidentally, to where have you booked your THAI flight? A short-hop (and, hence, relatively inexpensive) destination in SE Asia is probably best IMHO. Even better is to the likes of Malaysia (e.g. KL) or Singapore as we Brits don't need visas to enter those particular countries. Hopefully you haven't booked to a destination in Cambodia or Laos since you would then be at risk of a check-in assistant at LHR who was not only eagled-eyed but also well versed in the visa requirements for British citizens in this part of the world noticing the absence of a suitable Cambodian or Laotian visa in your passport.

I also trust that you are scheduled to arrive at BKK on your BA flight well before the 72-hour period for which your THAI reservation will be held expires. Otherwise you might be liable to further grief from an eagle-eyed check-in assistant at LHR

"Hopefully you haven't booked to a destination in Cambodia or Laos since you would then be at risk of a check-in assistant at LHR who was not only eagled-eyed but also well versed in the visa requirements for British citizens in this part of the world noticing the absence of a suitable Cambodian or Laotian visa in your passport."

But Lao and Cambodian visas are available on arrival anyway.

Airlines do seem much hotter on this now. Recently I was flying from BKK to Abu Dhabi, sitting next to a young couple returning for Germany after holidaying in Thailand. The lady was German and her boyfriend Romanian. They had boarded and were sitting in their seats some time when a Thai member of Etihad's ground statff came and asked for their passports. They were questioning the Romanian guy about "why you no have visa for Germany - where you go next, why no ticket" for some time. He was trying to explain he lived and worked in Germany, with his German girlfriend and even got business cards out from a large German MNC. His GF made it worse because she got angry and mouthy.

I've seen similar checks on Qatar recently too. You may be lucky at Heathrow, you may get challenged. Same with Thai immigration. I've seen several people asked to produce evidence of onward/retrun travel before being stamped in. Why take the chance. Get a visa from Hull or buy a cheap onward ticket.

I have departed Heathrow 3 times this year on EVA air bound for Bangkok on a one way ticket with no visa,and no questions asked.

My most recent flight China Airlines from Amsterdam to Bangkok departing in the UK from Norwich on a one way ticket without a visa was also not questioned once.