HiT And Run Cabbie Jailed For Two Years

theblether

Picked up from the Richard Barrow twitter feed......

A lot of us will remember this incident that resulted in the tragic death of Joanne McKiddie in Bangkok last September.....

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/hit-and-run-thai-cabbie-jailed-for-killing-teacher-1-5883720

The guy has been jailed for two years, life is far too cheap in this country.

So this poor guy from Isaan, driving a taxi to make ends meet, is sentenced to 2 years!sad.png

Now we are all waiting for the Red Bull heir verdict!!

Btw. Despite the taxiguys "confession", IMO no more than a tragic accident!

• Like 1

So this poor guy from Isaan, driving a taxi to make ends meet, is sentenced to 2 years!sad.png

The Red Bull heir no doubt paid a hefty price, your poor taxi driver does 2 years because he can't afford to otherwise pay for his crimes.

• Like 1

So this poor guy from Isaan, driving a taxi to make ends meet, is sentenced to 2 years!Posted Image

The Red Bull heir no doubt paid a hefty price, your poor taxi driver does 2 years because he can't afford to otherwise pay for his crimes.

It would be interesting to find out the amount paid as a percentage of the family fortune.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another case of crossing a road not at the overpass.

Yes I have seen pictures the overpass was real close by but they still chose to cross a fast road.. IMHO the taxi was not to blame. I have posted that in that topic too. If people are lazy to take an overpass at 100 meters further ...... Goes for Thais and foreigners they risk their lives and bother cars and bikes too.

• Like 2

while it is true the driver flee but he turn himself in within hours. if you look at it, the predastrian is equally at fault. she could had caused other motorist death due to her own negligence but ultimately she paid with her own. back then, there was speculation that both of them are drunk

although i understand the fear and confusion of the driver, but i do not condone the act of fleeing the scene.

Thanks, it's hard to get an update in this country, journalists are just scumbags and just report what they are told to report.

I wonder what will happen to the sword killer ?

And in this country people still get 2 years for killing when they go to jail 25 jours for drug : retarded monkeys, sometimes I hate you.

Hit and run is a serious offense in some countries. It can be to wait out a blood alcohol level, or another reason, but it's also failure to try to render assistance.

It should be a serious offense everywhere.

Yes it should be, hit and run is real bad. So that the guy gets some punishment is correct. But anyone who saw the original topic also knew that there was a pedestrian bridge that could have saved their lives at around a 100-200 meters or so. These were not small roads they crossed they crossed 2 x 3 or 4 lanes of traffic with a big divider in the middle.

That is not a smart thing to do and as a car driver to see some people get onto a relatively fast road on the fast lane will give you a good scare. I hope I never have idiots like that in front of my car. I would not drive on but would hate it to go to jail because others are to lazy to use a pedestrian bridge.

It would be interesting to find out the amount paid as a percentage of the family fortune.

That's not really fair, why should wealthy people pay more because they're wealthy? I understand the perspective that giving away a small percentage of one's wealth doesn't seem like a deterrent but for most people it is. The Red Bull heir is probably an exception because he didn't earn his fortune, but for anyone who earned their fortune, giving away a tiny percentage is far more of a deterrent than a few years in jail is to a poor person.

This is easily demonstrated through statistics by looking at the percentages of poor people convicted of serious crimes (those causing death) compared with the wealthy in any country - wealthy people are less likely to commit serious crimes; not because they're better people but because they have far more to lose.

That's not really fair, why should wealthy people pay more because they're wealthy? I understand the perspective that giving away a small percentage of one's wealth doesn't seem like a deterrent but for most people it is. The Red Bull heir is probably an exception because he didn't earn his fortune, but for anyone who earned their fortune, giving away a tiny percentage is far more of a deterrent than a few years in jail is to a poor person.

This is easily demonstrated through statistics by looking at the percentages of poor people convicted of serious crimes (those causing death) compared with the wealthy in any country - wealthy people are less likely to commit serious crimes; not because they're better people but because they have far more to lose.

Hit and run is a serious offense in some countries. It can be to wait out a blood alcohol level, or another reason, but it's also failure to try to render assistance.

Yes it should be, hit and run is real bad. So that the guy gets some punishment is correct. But anyone who saw the original topic also knew that there was a pedestrian bridge that could have saved their lives at around a 100-200 meters or so. These were not small roads they crossed they crossed 2 x 3 or 4 lanes of traffic with a big divider in the middle.

That is not a smart thing to do and as a car driver to see some people get onto a relatively fast road on the fast lane will give you a good scare. I hope I never have idiots like that in front of my car. I would not drive on but would hate it to go to jail because others are to lazy to use a pedestrian bridge.

And what if the person has a disability that precludes climbing the stairs of the overpass?

I agree two years for an accident is rough. If he had waited at the scene I bet he would have been a free man right now.

So this poor guy from Isaan, driving a taxi to make ends meet, is sentenced to 2 years!Posted Image

I agree with you that fines should not be levied according to ability to pay. Just speculating that ANY fine for this guy is little more than small change for one of the wealthiest families in Thailand.

And what if the person has a disability that precludes climbing the stairs of the overpass?

If they have a disability like that they certainly were not able to cross at the point where this accident happened as that was even harder. You should go back to the original topic and look at the pics. I have driven there its madness to cross.

Disabled people could get a taxi or tuk tuk IMHO its crazy to cross dangerous roads for normal people let alone people with a disability. But in this case its a moot point as someone with a disability would not be able to have crossed it and this lady was not disabled.

If they have a disability like that they certainly were not able to cross at the point where this accident happened as that was even harder. You should go back to the original topic and look at the pics. I have driven there its madness to cross.

Disabled people could get a taxi or tuk tuk IMHO its crazy to cross dangerous roads for normal people let alone people with a disability. But in this case its a moot point as someone with a disability would not be able to have crossed it and this lady was not disabled.

Modern counties do not have stairs for overpasses, they have ramps now. Beside the point though as the person was cap-able of using the overpass.

Edited by harrry

Has anyone ever heard what happened to the young driver of the Ferrarri/Lamroghini/Whatever who was speeding and tore the poor Laotian girl in two? The guy who then drive for another 15 minutes with the upper half of the girl in his car?

wealthy people are less likely to commit serious crimes; not because they're better people but because they have far more to lose.

That's a bit of a generalisation isn't it, you could just as easily say that it is because they have less to gain.

I think there were mitigating circumstances that indeed there was an overpass available, it was at night during heavy rain etc.

He did an initial runner, but turned himself in a few hours later. Same old, only the poor do prison time in Thailand.

Has anyone ever heard what happened to the young driver of the Ferrarri/Lamroghini/Whatever who was speeding and tore the poor Laotian girl in two? The guy who then drive for another 15 minutes with the upper half of the girl in his car?

I remember reading somewhere, may have been here, it cost him in the region of 300k baht.