Transport at Night From Airport

ThaiPauly

Hi all,

I have been in Thailand for about 10 years and have never been to Phuket apart from a trip to the airport from Phi Phi, so as it's the only big island I have not visited I thought it's about time I did.

I have booked a flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket that does not arrive until after midnight

My question is: Is there still plenty of transport available at the airport at this time of night?

In fact it's two questions, the other is : How long does it take to get from the airport to Karon Beach? How much can I expect to pay a taxi to get me there?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone can recommend a half decent hotel on the beach in the 2-3,000 baht a night bracket that would also be very helpful.

TP

Doubt you will get a meter taxi after midnight. Plenty airport limos available at that time. Expect a 50 minute drive to Karon at that time of the day. Fare should be 700 or 800 baht, but expect to be asked for much more. Check the fare tarrif inside the airport building.

You should get a decent hotel for that money at this time of the year. Have a look at Agoda, pick some that look good to you and ask here if any good.

Metered don't operate between 12m and 6am. We have had a few guests get fleeced for 1800 baht to 4000 baht. Some of them arrived late. 700-800B is the correct fare for the private "limo". There is also a minibis that costs 150B but not sure if it is available late at night.

Minibus to Kata would be 180, not 150. My guess: not running late at night, if running, don't buy anything on the way at the travel agent.

BTW Joe, I'm presuming you're referring to your former employer with taxi problems, I would not expect these with your present one.

Minibus to Kata would be 180, not 150. My guess: not running late at night, if running, don't buy anything on the way at the travel agent.

BTW Joe, I'm presuming you're referring to your former employer with taxi problems, I would not expect these with your present one.

The minibus does run late but I wouldn't necessarily advise it (and I think the price is now 200 baht). Published taxi price last time I looked was 900 baht but like Joe, many of my guests have had to pay much more at that time of night.

Arrange a pickup through your hotel. Will probably be around 1000 baht but better than dealing with the airport guys.

Thanks for the very helpful replies guys. In light of what you have said I'm thinking it would be better to spend the night at Airport Hotel, 1,500 B for the room plus free (I think) pick up from the airport.

As this is now my current thinking I will then want to get to a boat to sail to Phi Phi to see my cousin the following day and stay a few days before going to Karon, are there buses/ minibuses that go to the coast where I can get a boat to Phi Phi from the airport or would I need a taxi?

Best you talk to the hotel desk for transfer to Phi Phi. Be aware that the Phi Phi ferry boat leaves at 08.00, so not much sleep for you. Might be better you get the 12.30 ferry.

Thanks for that.

Things are falling into place now. The Airport Hotel has told me that they offer free 24 hour pick up and drop offs for their guests so that's the way I am going to go.

Best you talk to the hotel desk for transfer to Phi Phi. Be aware that the Phi Phi ferry boat leaves at 08.00, so not much sleep for you. Might be better you get the 12.30 ferry.

Thanks for that.

Things are falling into place now. The Airport Hotel has told me that they offer free 24 hour pick up and drop offs for their guests so that's the way I am going to go.

You have made a very wise decision to stay in the airport area given your very late arrival, And I do really recommend you take that 2nd mid-day ferry. The early morning ferry = red eye service. My most pleasant trip to Phi Phi was the afternoon ferry, night at hotel, and back to Phuket on the late ferry.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I think thats TV member Simon's hotel, no?

Good instruction here for others doing the same; if flying into Phuket late at night overnight at Simon's, think about transportation the next day.

Thanks for that.

I think thats TV member Simon's hotel, no?

Good instruction here for others doing the same; if flying into Phuket late at night overnight at Simon's, think about transportation the next day.

I think it used to be his (or hers), but if I recall his posts correctly there is no connection between Simon and the hotel anymore.

Any lower price bracket hotel will be able and willing to arrange a reasonably priced airport pick-up any time of the day/night. Higher price bracket hotels might be a different story, they are likely to charge more for it.

I'm gonna stay at the Airport Hotel when I arrive but I may well use phuketshuttle to get around, thanks for the pm glassdude.

I have been recommended Baan Karon Buri as a hotel to stay in in Karon, the price is very inexpensive, I am used to paying more, but as I say a friend has stayed there and said it was very good value for money.

Anyone have any opinions of this place?

Cheers

TP

Baan Karon Buri is a good choice, nice location opposite the beach. Quality small scale resort. 3 star going on 4 star. Quieter area midway between Karon and Kata villages. So not so many facilites within a short walk, a few places in a neighbouring street.

http://www.latestays.com/baan-karonburi-resort/

Latestays has good rates at that hotel this time of year.

Thanks for that Old Croc

I checked the rates against Agoda and I'm paying the same as they are offering, which is a relief because I normally pay a higher price when things like this are pointed out to mesad.png

Guess if I had waited till a week before I come I could have saved 250 baht per night ...but then again they may be sold out..who knows?

But I will keep this website for future reference

So I'm done now..I have booked 3 hotels, ferry crossing, taxi's airline, etc.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I will let you know what I think of the place you guys call home when I get back in late September

Take care

TP