your cell phone can be located even when turned off

Asiantravel

If you really do want to have every single trace of you lost, then you might like to think about living under ground for the rest of your life, or up a mountain in Outer Mongolia. The chances are that you will be found anyhow. It turns out that the National Security Agency of the US can actually locate your cell phone even when it has been turned off and is no longer emitting a signal.

It was previously believed by people that you could only locate the last emitted signal and if turned off, then that signal was lost. Your last known whereabouts could only be found. Now, it seems that that’s not true. In Back-to-the Future-Flash-Gordon style, the NSA has gone beyond the bounds of technology, pushed the boat all the way out and they can find us even when you power down your phone. Is there no peace for the wicked, honestly? An even less peace for the honest, wickedly!

http://www.tothetick.com/nsa-and-phones

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hardly news

Exactly..!! Testing was done in Europe decades and published worldwide. Cell phones are not secure and can be tracked anywhere.

There are even on-line programs that allow anyone to track any number's location and backtrack to where that phone has been.

So, if you are cheating on your 'significant other' don't take your cell phone with you...LOL

Good to see the tin foil hat brigade are active bright and early this morning tongue.png

This does seem convoluted.

Maybe the brigade could just keep their cell phones in a copper box.

Or what about a copper mesh box if you wanted to be able to read the screen through the mesh but also wanted the phone to not be tracked or located even while you have the battery in, and the phone powered on, in standby mode.

Certainly for 99% of phones they CAN NOT be tracked when they are switched off. If you were on the run from government agents then sure you would remove the battery or even smash up the phone, but for the rest of us... relax. OFF is off, ON is on.

• Like 1

If the phone is truly off, it cannot be tracked.

However the issue is that some modern phones are actually "On" when they appear to be "Off"

So many functions of a smart phone use network data. Think about email and messaging, etc.

Even the GPS function can use network data when the phone is supposedly Off.

Plus there are other transmitters inside a modern phone beside the phone itself, eg Bluetooth, Wifi, etc.

Like the man said, take the battery out

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

boycott everything American.

except....

Leatherman, Maglite and Jack Daniels

You're funny.cheesy.gif

Seriously though, the NSA has chips in your tool, your flashlight and your bottle o' JD. biggrin.png

And let me guess, you used a credit card to pay for these items. whistling.gif

I only pay cash, use prepaid, nobody knows who I am and drink Mezkal with illegally imported worm, just to make sure.

problem is: cash is running out, so I'll have to use some creditcard, what can I say, what can I do?

Far as I followed this it is still not clear how they do it, don't know if I should believe it or not. Only thing I'm sure of I am deamericanizing my internet behaviour, all that megacompanies need to be boycotted, just my new principle, boycott everything American. They deserve it because they are unreliable and fool the people became normal for them. Everything European is better in any case, GMX mail (german) versus Gmail, Wuala (swiss) versus Dropbox etc.

German Minister: Drop Google, Facebook To Avoid U.S. Spying

Only American brands I love are Leatherman, Maglite and Jack Daniels, bur for the internet I don't want them anymore

ThaiVisa runs on American software. Goodbye. tongue.png

Explains things.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

boycott everything American.

except....

Leatherman, Maglite and Jack Daniels

You're funny.cheesy.gif

Seriously though, the NSA has chips in your tool, your flashlight and your bottle o' JD. biggrin.png

And let me guess, you used a credit card to pay for these items. whistling.gif

I only pay cash, use prepaid, nobody knows who I am and drink Mezkal with illegally imported worm, just to make sure.

problem is: cash is running out, so I'll have to use some creditcard, what can I say, what can I do?

Quit expensive imports. Try Hong Thong and drop in one of those small, brown millipedes from the garden, or a nice juicy maggot.

When you get really hard up, there's always Lao Khao, cash and carry, credit cards not accepted.

Far as I followed this it is still not clear how they do it, don't know if I should believe it or not. Only thing I'm sure of I am deamericanizing my internet behaviour, all that megacompanies need to be boycotted, just my new principle, boycott everything American. They deserve it because they are unreliable and fool the people became normal for them. Everything European is better in any case, GMX mail (german) versus Gmail, Wuala (swiss) versus Dropbox etc.

German Minister: Drop Google, Facebook To Avoid U.S. Spying

Only American brands I love are Leatherman, Maglite and Jack Daniels, bur for the internet I don't want them anymore

I also prefer Wuala over Dropbox, but I'm not sure I can agree with GMX over Gmail, unless you was only referring to security, and I'm not sure how important that is, email is by design no more secure than an open postcard. Ok some people tell me Gmail have some automatic systems reading my mail and sending me targeted ads. Good luck to them, I've never seen one, maybe the adblock plugin has something to do with that. wink.png

In fairness, I haven't looked at GMS for years so I just signed up for an email account with them to have a look. Come on, how can you compare that interface with Gmail? It so 2000.

And please tell me how I can use it with my own domain name such as I currently do with Gmail (Google Apps, yes I know they've restricted the free access to that now, but I still have a grandfathered original free GA account).

OK, here we go.................

If you want to use your mobile and make rather certain you can not be found, only switch on for a few minutes, max 4-5, less is better.

If you can do, do not send SMS, at all.

And of course disable internet, mobile internet is very "open"

When ready, switch off the mobile, take out the battery AND the chip.

my iphone was Lost..or stolen a few days ago and I can't find it on the tracker becasue it hasn't been turned on. the only question is how do we get NSA to track it for us biggrin.png

Go to an internet cafe and report yourself as a terrorist to FBI web site. They will go to your cell and let you know when the cell phone is found and ask you if you can identify the body of the possessor.

Edited by Netizen