Why does my graphies card getting so hot on my desk top PC

guzzi850m2

Hi guys,

I just got a new graphics card installed after the old one "crapped out", total damage was 2390 baht.

Yes I know the GeForce GT420 is not the best around but I don't play much games but more watch HD movies on the very good Dell U2713HM monitor which is awesome.

Below is a Speccy "snapshot" where the graphics card is "only" 97 deg.c, when I play YouTube stuff the PC screens suddenly goes blank and I have to reset in order to get it going again so it must be over 100 deg.c. I have downloaded the latest drivers for this new graphics card but that didn't help.

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GHz 43 °C

Clarkdale 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

MSI 2A9C (CPU 1) 52 °C

Graphics

SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)

DELL U2713HM (2560x1440@59Hz)

2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 98 °C

Hard Drives

932GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 (SATA) 38 °C

Optical Drives

hp DVD-RAM GH60L

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

This card was installed at Wanttana IT in Pattaya yesterday where I bought the HP PC some 2.5 years ago.

I will take the PC back to them on Monday unless one of you guys have an idea what I can do first?

Help please!

Thanks

It looks like the ventilator on your graphic card is not working correctly, also a Nvidia GeForce GT420 is pretty old, especially if you paid 2390 THB, you can buy a good Nvidia GeForce 630 with 2GB memory for less than 2000 THB (the GT630 is based on the same graphic processor as the GT440 with a few additional extras).

Had the same problem with my old 9800 GT, found in a PC shop computer bin another fan looked the same from the 8800 GT paid 30 baht, clipped it on in place of the old fan, works fine, ... + as I had in my old odd bits another stand alone slot fan fitted that as well, 6 months on still all work fine

post-42643-0-78313600-1374899268_thumb.j

Maybe try the extra cooling ?? cost around 120 baht

This card was installed at Wanttana IT in Pattaya yesterday where I bought the HP PC some 2.5 years ago.

I will take the PC back to them on Monday unless one of you guys have an idea what I can do first?

Maybe the best, but even if you took it back today, most if they find a fault with the card, will say it has to be sent back = no graphics card at all for 2 or 3 weeks... you maybe lucky but this appear what normally happens even if you take something back 1 hour later.

EDIT: just an idea/question.....Do you have another card in the slot next to the Graphics card ? maybe restricting air flow to that little fan... if you have maybe move that card and leave a larger space ,,,,,,, Motherboard you listed shows 3 PCi slots

Edited by ignis

Maybe the best, but even if you took it back today, most if they find a fault with the card, will say it has to be sent back = no graphics card at all for 2 or 3 weeks... you maybe lucky but this appear what normally happens even if you take something back 1 hour later.

EDIT: just an idea/question.....Do you have another card in the slot next to the Graphics card ? maybe restricting air flow to that little fan... if you have maybe move that card and leave a larger space ,,,,,,, Motherboard you listed shows 3 PCi slots

Good idea to have the space.

Also most cases are already made to put an extra fan in the back of the case to blow across the expansion cards. Couldn't hurt to pick up an extra cheap fan and instal it and the card so that the fan blows across it.

Thanks guys for your replies and eventually pointing me in the right direction.

I just opened the case now and had a look inside.

I noticed that the fan for the new graphics were slightly hard to turn. A cable from the mother board were touching one fan blade, fxxx me.

Now I am running the pc with open side cover and I have pushed the obstructing cable a bit away and the graphics card are now running with the fan on at an acceptable 52 deg.c (low load & room temp app 30 deg.c).

Yes all fans are running and no nothing sitting close to the ghp card. I will now have to secure the obstructing cable(s) with a small cable tie so this can't happen again.

I wonder if that "killed" my old ghp card as well.

The worst thing about this is: Of the 2390 baht I paid total for the new card, 300 baht was labor and for those 300 baht I expect things to be working but no. I know some of the guys at Wanttana IT and they are very good but of the 10-12 guys maybe only 3-4 really knows what they are doing.

This I should had know after over 10 years in Thailand I guess whistling.gif

Thanks again guys, this saved me a trip to the shop and no desk top pc for maybe 2-3 days which is a disaster to mebiggrin.png