Thai govt urged to withdraw Amnesty Bill to prevent political violence

webfact

Govt urged to withdraw Amnesty Bill to prevent political violence
By English News

13748923033564.jpg

BANGKOK, July 27 – The opposition Democrat Party has called on the government to abort a parliamentary debate on the Amnesty Bill to prevent political conflicts in the country.

Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra must be held responsible for violence if the controversial bill is slated for debate in the House of Representatives next month.

Anti-government protesters who identified themselves as members of the People’s Army vowed to stage a rally to protest against the bill on August 4.

Pheu Thai MP Vorachai Hema who proposed the Amnesty Bill said earlier that the legislation was tentatively scheduled for debate in the Lower House on August 7 as decided by the government’s whip.

Mr Chavanond said the Amnesty Bill was aimed at whitewashing lawbreakers, including pro-government Red Shirt core leaders and activists – a move which led to widespread oppositions among various groups of people.

He said the Democrat Party strongly opposed to the Amnesty Bill and called on the premier to reconsider if it should be debated in the Lower House as planned.

There are reports of preparations by city police to deal with protesters, while Mr Chavanond claims Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan instructed provincial officials to stop people from entering the capital to join the rally, while complaining that Red Shirt activists would, however, be freely allowed to rally in the city.

The government is thus adopting double standards in dealing with the issue, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-27

If the PTP, UDD and Red Shirts held Abhisit and Suthep as responsible for the actions in 2010 then certainly Yingluck, the government, the PTP, UDD and Red Shirts must be held responsible for anything that happens to the protestors.

After all there is democracy and no double standards from the government isn't there?

I think it is reasonable to assume that the ball is in the PTP court and any reactions to this shoddy piece of legislation, is all there doing, as it has been since they came into power , PTP need to understand that to have this passed as a law, opens the flood gates,any person breaking the law can apply for amnesty, you cannot separate one case from another , what's good for the goose is good for the gander , to favour one section of the community, is a failure of principals.bah.gif

Can we really think that this current puppet maladministration will concern themselves with the morals of double standards?

Their paymaster is a professional megalomaniac and in his multiple mindsets he is the new Messiah on the Thai political scene, much the same mindset applies to his family and their brown nosing acolytes.

All driven by greed and to hell with the people of Thailand. Indeed I have seen corkscrews with less twists and turns in them compared to this current maladministration

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

There are reports of preparations by city police to deal with protesters, while Mr Chavanond claims Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan instructed provincial officials to stop people from entering the capital to join the rally, while complaining that Red Shirt activists would, however, be freely allowed to rally in the city.

-Can somebody please translate, or explain the above to me, as I do not understand. Who complains; city police, Mr. Chavanond, Mr. Ruangsuwan or people entering the city?

Sunisa.

-Can somebody please translate, or explain the above to me, as I do not understand. Who complains; city police, Mr. Chavanond, Mr. Ruangsuwan or people entering the city?

Sunisa.

Mr. Chavanond complains that Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan instructed provincial officials to stop people from entering the capital to join the rally

A spreadsheet with all seven or so 'Amnesty Law' proposals and the similarities and/or differences would be nice. Also the relation between Amnesty enforced and reconciliation reached willingly. wai.gif

A spreadsheet with all seven or so 'Amnesty Law' proposals and the similarities and/or differences would be nice. Also the relation between Amnesty enforced and reconciliation reached willingly. wai.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

"Amnesty enforced and reconciliation."

They have nothing to do with each other.

Amnesty for Thaksin and the rest of the red shirt leaders would just cause a deeper divide in the population.

I agree that the red shirts who have been sitting in Jail for over two years should get amnesty or a pardon or what ever it takes to let them out now. They have done their time. But one for the leaders and the financier should not come.They should be tried immediately and do their time the same as their misguided loyal subjects have done.

The problem with that is it would be justice and justice is unacceptable to the red shirts.

" Peoples Army"

Those two words never lead anywhere good.

+1

I do not see any reason for this discussion Big Brother Mr. "T" has already signed the bill. If he signed the bill it is for his followers to get in line and follow. He will be like Emperor Napoleon, riding in on his white horse. Oh that could not be because Napoleon was exiled by the French government, and MR "T" is self exiled on the run from the court. whistling.gif

I do not see any reason for this discussion Big Brother Mr. "T" has already signed the bill. If he signed the bill it is for his followers to get in line and follow. He will be like Emperor Napoleon, riding in on his white horse. Oh that could not be because Napoleon was exiled by the French government, and MR "T" is self exiled on the run from the court. whistling.gif

Unfortunately for the French, Napoleon Bonaparte was driven into exile on Elba by a coalition of France's enemies including Austria, Prussia, Russia and the UK among others.

After escaping he returned to power only to be beaten at Waterloo and finally confined on St Helena.

Any comparison between Elba and Dubai is pure imagination.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the ball is in the PTP court and any reactions to this shoddy piece of legislation, is all there doing, as it has been since they came into power , PTP need to understand that to have this passed as a law, opens the flood gates,any person breaking the law can apply for amnesty, you cannot separate one case from another , what's good for the goose is good for the gander , to favour one section of the community, is a failure of principals.bah.gif

I think you meant to say principles. But on the other hand you may also be right.

Does Thailand have something similar to the UK's Riot Act? AFAIK after the public reading of the Act if you get hurt it is your own stupid fault.

The Shinawatres' and PT and Reds definition of the word 'reconciliation' : create conflict.

Their definition of the word 'Democracy' : Do as the mob dictates, or get beat up.

Their definition of 'peaceful protest': Have leaders shout 'Burn down Bangkok!' from a stage, and have peons follow it up with petrol bombs.

• Like 2

I think you meant to say principles. But on the other hand you may also be right.

Does Thailand have something similar to the UK's Riot Act? AFAIK after the public reading of the Act if you get hurt it is your own stupid fault.

I think the riot act was repealed in 1973, hadn't been used that much in 20 century before that anyway, last time was just after world war 1. It has kind of been replaced by public order act, but nothing is read out to the crowd anymore. It didn't really work anyway as the Peterloo Massacre and 1743 Gin Riots showed, because most people couldn't hear it being read if there was a large crowd. Edited by Bluespunk