The Older We Get, The More Tolerant We Become. Why Is That?

I am just speaking for myself now, but I suspect that many of you may have found the same to be true.

When I was young, I always thought myself a fairly liberal thinker.

I was very conservative in my views, but also very liberal too.

Recently though, I really think I have become even more tolerant of those I see around me.

Is this just a final lack of caring I feel about the seeming hopelessness of our world and human predicament?

This is why I get so laid back about my stay in Thailand, and never see most any of the negative aspects about which some of you write so agitatedly. (very strange, I spelled this word agitatedly correctly, but my browser has sp fail underline. That happens so much here with this software. What is the spell checker good for anyway. but I do digress.)

So, do some of you feel it too? A feeling of peace and tolerance as you hit the golden years?

Or if you are not yet in your golden years, then what do you imagine you will feel when you get there, if you get there?

Maybe if we can all become more tolerant in our golden years,

There is more hope for the world yet,

As our world continues to demographically age, and as a higher and higher percentage of world population moves into the over 50 age bracket.

What do you think?, is there more hope for us?

And more hope for Thailand too as its population continues to age and become grayer?

Edited by OldChinaHam

I used to think too much, now I forget what I was going to say in the middle of a sentence and I'm not 50 yet.

My parents have mellowed so much it's noticeable and they are an absolute pleasure to be around. there are some old mean folks out there and I often think what a waste..... life is actually the longest thing any of us will do and their wasting time on being too serious, some folks just aren't happy unless everyone is unhappy.

This is a sort of un-Pub like thought.

Also, I think, very true.

I doubted whether anyone might contribute a comment on a Saturday

Just before the pubs open.

• Like 1

It's an individual thing. My dad ''was'' a gem, my mum ''was'' the opposite with old age. Me, hmmmmmmmm, middle of the road, life has taught me stuff that sticks in my head, BUT, l try to be tolerant until someone is obviously is taking the piss. smile.png

• Like 2

For me for sure I'm becoming more tolerent. I blame it on severial things. 1/ The mai pen rai of Thailand. 2/ I use to argue all the time and then I realized if a man has an opinion it is very rare that they will change it, so it was useless trying, so now I mostly avoid them. 3/ My father once told me there was no use worrying about things you could do nothing about, I'm finally paying attention to that advice. 4/ My wife is always right and now I except it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well yeh, go to the fridge, remove a beer and smile. smile.png

I am just speaking for myself now, but I suspect that many of you may have found the same to be true

If anything, I am less tolerant as I age than I have ever been in my life. Something about having an extremely low tolerance for ignorant people.

It could also be that your tolerance hasn't changed but there's just more ignorant people about.

When one gets to thinking that everyone else is just too ignorant to matter, then it's time to check ones own tolerance tank with more than just the dipstick.

.... 3/ My father once told me there was no use worrying about things you could do nothing about, I'm finally paying attention to that advice. ...

Dont sweat the petty stuff as long as you can still pet the sweaty stuff.

... 4/ My wife is always right and now I except it.

Freudian whatsitcalled?

You old farts know nothing....you should listen up and learn something from me.

Really us youngsters are better educaded and know far more of what's going on in the world around us....you doddery old fools spend your time whittering on in the news forums about obscure political nonsense.

Lighten up.....enjoy life....and if you are too old for a swim then group your old age pensions and buy a dinghy....a six pack from 7/11 and have a ball! :P

Or an argument....whatever floats your errm boat. :D

Really us youngsters are better educaded and know far more of what's going on in the world around us....you doddery old fools spend your time whittering on in the news forums about obscure political nonsense.

Lighten up.....enjoy life....and if you are too old for a swim then group your old age pensions and buy a dinghy....a six pack from 7/11 and have a ball!

Or an argument....whatever floats your errm boat.

How do you say double post when they get past 7?

Obviously, again, this is NOT the TVF software.

16Mbps?

OldChinaHam, 1,625 posts on TV and you say thatrolleyes.gif. Lot of old, intolerant geezers on this forumwink.png

And how old are you ?.........Pray tell.

I am an old fart but I consider myself pretty tolerant.....

• Like 1

I think smokes ol' chum, your post is earmarked for the Guinness book of records for longevity, clap2.gif I thought it was my beer intake but nooooooooo. smile.png ...............clap2.gif

While the system is still in trouble, he's just posting 8 times to up his count and blaming it on TV. biggrin.png

Lighten up.....enjoy life....and if you are too old for a swim then group your old age pensions and buy a dinghy....a six pack from 7/11 and have a ball!

Blimey Smokie,you have just earned the record, for Multi Posting. Could make the Guinness Book of Records or were you just making your point stronger smile.png

Edited by MAJIC

Blimey Smokie,you have just earned the record, for Multi Posting. Could make the Guinness Book of Records or were you just making your point stronger smile.png

Hey, that was my line. whistling.gif .....................................cheesy.gif

AND, my ''Likes'' count has reached an astounding.............. 1,256,694 and a half.................intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi ....smile.png

PS. Yes, I jest. biggrin.png

Lighten up.....enjoy life....and if you are too old for a swim then group your old age pensions and buy a dinghy....a six pack from 7/11 and have a ball! tongue.png

Or an argument....whatever floats your errm boat. biggrin.png

"Really us youngsters are better educaded ..."

I assume you're being intentionally ironic ... which shows that with age I've become more generous in my assumptions.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to realize that I should concentrate on my life instead of everyone else. Now I'm generally happier for me and more tolerant of others. And, the odd time I run into someone I just can't stand, I leave. Problem solved.

At 53 i have become far less tolerant than i was in my youth, but at the same time, i try the best i can to avoid confrontation..So, from the outside, it seems that nothing has changed.

PS. congrats to Mr. Smokie for the 7 post, one may be wondering what he's drinking..

I think smokes ol' chum, your post is earmarked for the Guinness book of records for longevity, clap2.gif I thought it was my beer intake but nooooooooo. smile.png ...............clap2.gif

Its the most important post I have ever made on here. tongue.png

• Like 1

At 53 i have become far less tolerant than i was in my youth, but at the same time, i try the best i can to avoid confrontation..So, from the outside, it seems that nothing has changed.

PS. congrats to Mr. Smokie for the 7 post, one may be wondering what he's drinking..

Hey wise up mauGR1.....I got to catch Jing before he beats me to the big six.....

Oh and the internet is crap from the pub.....I was drinking ......

citra.jpg

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Agreed, Tv kept showing us so they thought so too. You could be in line for a Gong. whistling.gif .

• Like 1

Agreed, Tv kept showing us so they thought so too. You could be in line for a Gong. whistling.gif .

Us youngsters prefer bongs. thumbsup.gif

Are we getting Tolerant with age? or is it a subconscious realisation that we are not going to change the world as we fantasised in Youth,so now we may be happy to leave all that to the Young,because we don't really care so much,and just take the easy path,to a quiet controlled life style

Us youngsters prefer bongs. thumbsup.gif

And just who do you think invented them? That would be my generation. You can thank us any time. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am just speaking for myself now, but I suspect that many of you may have found the same to be true

If anything, I am less tolerant as I age than I have ever been in my life. Something about having an extremely low tolerance for ignorant people.

It could also be that your tolerance hasn't changed but there's just more ignorant people about.

When one gets to thinking that everyone else is just too ignorant to matter, then it's time to check ones own tolerance tank with more than just the dipstick.

I agree, on both points. There are more ignorant people around and I am far less tolerant of them than I have ever been. I find I walk around with my ear buds in, with the tunes on and a smile on my face. Then tune out everything else around me. As they say, ignorance is bliss. Oh wait, is that a paradox of sumting? whistling.gif