Medication for arthritis

mizztraveller

I'll be living in Chiang Mai for 7 months and wonder if anyone can tell me if I can get my medication easily in a pharmacy or do I need to see a hospital doctor. The medication I need is Naproxen and Omeprazole. Does anyone know the cost of these?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I both use Naproxen, lots of it, for years. It is available here at almost any pharmacy. However, it's not cheap. Naproxen is the same as ALEVE. We get it from the states as we stock up when we visit or friends come to visit us. Look up Naproxen Sodium at the Walmart website. You can buy a 200 or 220 count (possibly 300 count) for around $12-$14. The brand name ALEVE cost a bit more, but exactly the same ingredients.

always take omneprozole before breakfast if you are taking Naproxan but do not take for more than 10 days at a time or you will end up with gastric problems. Wait a couple of weeks before taking it again.

• Like 1

always take omneprozole before breakfast if you are taking Naproxan but do not take for more than 10 days at a time or you will end up with gastric problems. Wait a couple of weeks before taking it again.

She was asking about availability and prices in Chiang Mai, not looking for free, unsolicited amateur medical advice.

Both Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Naproxen Sodium (Alleve) have side effects but some people don't suffer from them. I have a severe allergic reaction to Omeprazole and have to take Lansoprazole (Prevacid) instead. Since I discovered ZMA, which is available from almost any supplement store, I don't take Naproxen any longer but didn't suffer any side effects when I did for several years. Acid reflux and stomach bleeding are possible side effects of any NSAID so it's worth having your doctor do an endoscopic examination of your stomach if you experience any discomfort while taking them. For me, ZMA is a wonderful and side-effect free remedy for arthritis and muscle aches. I invite TVers to Google it.

I also have arthritis. I was wondering how affective Naproxen is for you.

Not sure how bad I have it as the pain is all in one hip and one knee both on the left side. Radiologists said I had level 2 arthritis in both hips and level 3 in the knee. I have looked and can not find out how serious the levels are. is there 4 or 10 levels which is the worst 1 or 4. All I know is it is painful and if I am not doing any thing it for the most part is not painful unless I am moving and I have to be very careful about how I do that. The knee seems to need no reason it will just start up with out any movement. So far I don't take much as I can stand a quarter mile walk before it becomes to painful I of course need a crutch.When I do take some thing I have found that 800 MG of Ibuprofen manufactured here using the name Nurofen works good. But it is not good for the stomach and liver used regularly.

I also have arthritis. I was wondering how affective Naproxen is for you.

Not sure how bad I have it as the pain is all in one hip and one knee both on the left side. Radiologists said I had level 2 arthritis in both hips and level 3 in the knee. I have looked and can not find out how serious the levels are. is there 4 or 10 levels which is the worst 1 or 4. All I know is it is painful and if I am not doing any thing it for the most part is not painful unless I am moving and I have to be very careful about how I do that. The knee seems to need no reason it will just start up with out any movement. So far I don't take much as I can stand a quarter mile walk before it becomes to painful I of course need a crutch.When I do take some thing I have found that 800 MG of Ibuprofen manufactured here using the name Nurofen works good. But it is not good for the stomach and liver used regularly.

I've been taking Naproxen to ease the arthritic pain for a few years now. The Omeprazole is to counteract the gastric problems that the Naproxen (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory - very much like a strong version of Ibuprofen) can create.

I stopped taking them once because I still felt a lot of pain, which was when I realised just how much they actually worked! For me, they're the best option. I've also been prescribed a paracetamol/codeine combination but they made me very tired.

I've not been told what level of arthritis I have, just that it's osteo and that in the future I'll need knee replacements. For the moment at least, my current medication suits me well and I'm pleased to know that I'll have no problems getting it in Chiang Mai.

Edited by mizztraveller

In response to the posts about there not being farang pricing-

On a monthly basis I purchase Omega 3, Ibuprofen, and low dose Aspirin from a chain pharmacy located towards the inside SE corner of the moat, large sign in front, blue and white, next to a restaurant with middle eastern cuisine. The total of my items come to just under 500baht. One day I went in, found all of the old staff had been replaced, and when I took my items to check out the scanned total was just under 900baht. I told the staff what I usually pay, she pushed one key, and the price came down to the usual price.

The next month I went in to purchase just the Omega 3, which is 300baht a bottle. The same pharmacist scanned it and told me 350baht. I refused to pay that, she didn't budge, so I went to a branch of the same pharmacy outside of the tourist area, and the same Omega 3 scanned for 300baht.

And no doubt there are Thai's out there who can tell similar stories where a particular employee or store on a given day tried to charge a higher than usual price. It happens in almost every store of every type everywhere in the country, so it's not a problem that's restricted to just pharmacies or farangs, it's called opportunistic commerce on the part of sales staff and is an added incentive to remain alert when buying things.

yes, get a Thai person to buy for you as it will be much cheaper

the Thais just love to over charge the farang!

In Chiang Mai at least, any farang, except a handful of really stupid ones, can walk into any pharmacy and buy any medication at the same price anyone else in the country would pay, even the indigenous population.

Yes, at the pharmacy I use (not in Chiang Mai) the invoice showing prices & total is printed out by the computer/cash register. Many things are read from bar codes. It's the same price whether you're Thai or farang.

"the Thais just love to over charge the farang"

Some "the farangs" just love to demonize "the Thais" in an attempt to compensate for their own inadequacies.

I hope you have a nice stay in CM and don't let the bitter old farangs poison your view of Thailand or " the Thais."

Jai Yen Yen!

not everything has bar codes, they usually check prices of medications on the computer, then input that price into a till

In response to the posts about there not being farang pricing-

On a monthly basis I purchase Omega 3, Ibuprofen, and low dose Aspirin from a chain pharmacy located towards the inside SE corner of the moat, large sign in front, blue and white, next to a restaurant with middle eastern cuisine. The total of my items come to just under 500baht. One day I went in, found all of the old staff had been replaced, and when I took my items to check out the scanned total was just under 900baht. I told the staff what I usually pay, she pushed one key, and the price came down to the usual price.

The next month I went in to purchase just the Omega 3, which is 300baht a bottle. The same pharmacist scanned it and told me 350baht. I refused to pay that, she didn't budge, so I went to a branch of the same pharmacy outside of the tourist area, and the same Omega 3 scanned for 300baht.

this happened to me but the other way round!

I asked for an item, she took it to the check out and said that's 250 baht, then she went all silent and pushed 1 button and said no sorry that's 500 baht!?

I walked out went to another pharmacy, asked for the same product, and they said it was 500 baht

buyer of medicines beware, shop around or ask a Thai person to buy for you!

Both Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Naproxen Sodium (Alleve) have side effects but some people don't suffer from them. I have a severe allergic reaction to Omeprazole and have to take Lansoprazole (Prevacid) instead. Since I discovered ZMA, which is available from almost any supplement store, I don't take Naproxen any longer but didn't suffer any side effects when I did for several years. Acid reflux and stomach bleeding are possible side effects of any NSAID so it's worth having your doctor do an endoscopic examination of your stomach if you experience any discomfort while taking them. For me, ZMA is a wonderful and side-effect free remedy for arthritis and muscle aches. I invite TVers to Google it.

DogNo1, I Googled the ZMA and definitely get contrasting reviews. The sellers seem to really tout the item, but Wikipedia has the following comments (I haven't seen anything mentioning ZMA as a reliever of arthritic pain):

In 2004, a study funded by a research grant from Cytodyne (another supplement producing company) with 42 resistance trained males showed that ZMA supplementation had no significant effects on total and free testosterone, IGF-1, growth hormone, cortisol, the ratio of cortisol to testosterone, or muscle and liver enzymes in response to training. No significant effects were observed in changes in strength, upper or lower body muscle endurance, or anaerobic sprint capacity.[11]

In another study done in 2006, a team of German scientists conducted a study on the effect of ZMA and testosterone levels in the body.[12] The result showed an increase in zinc secretions in urine making it much darker like blood, but no effect on the level of testosterone in the body.

Sounds like "snake oil" to me, but if it works for you then good on you!

ZMA has worked well for me and for my daughter and its effectiveness is dramatic. The body chemistry of various individuals varies widely and no doubt ZMA is not effective for everyone. I am not taking it for any increase in testosterone, just to relax my muscles and relieve my arthritis symptoms. I find it especially helpful because the Lansoprazole (Prevacid) that I must take twice daily interferes with the absorption of magnesium, apparently leaving me with a magnesium deficiency.

Edited by DogNo1

Back to what the OP is asking....

Omneprazole is sold as brand name "Miracid" and costs 80 baht for 14 capsules.

Naproxen is sold as brand name "Sonap Forte" and costs 55 baht for 10.

Both are available in almost any pharmacy.

I take both daily with no problems.

• Like 1

I have a friend in the States who has arthritis in both big knuckles of his thumbs and they really hurt. Once every six months he gets a shot in those joints and they are pain free for that six months. I have no idea what the med is called.

DogNo1, I Googled the ZMA and definitely get contrasting reviews. The sellers seem to really tout the item, but Wikipedia has the following comments (I haven't seen anything mentioning ZMA as a reliever of arthritic pain):

In 2004, a study funded by a research grant from Cytodyne (another supplement producing company) with 42 resistance trained males showed that ZMA supplementation had no significant effects on total and free testosterone, IGF-1, growth hormone, cortisol, the ratio of cortisol to testosterone, or muscle and liver enzymes in response to training. No significant effects were observed in changes in strength, upper or lower body muscle endurance, or anaerobic sprint capacity.[11]

In another study done in 2006, a team of German scientists conducted a study on the effect of ZMA and testosterone levels in the body.[12] The result showed an increase in zinc secretions in urine making it much darker like blood, but no effect on the level of testosterone in the body.

Sounds like "snake oil" to me, but if it works for you then good on you!

Yes I to went through the same experience. It came across to me more as a muscle builder.

I have been trying to find out more about my arthritis and there are apparently many kinds maybe it works on one of them.

ZMA has worked well for me and for my daughter and its effectiveness is dramatic. The body chemistry of various individuals varies widely and no doubt ZMA is not effective for everyone. I am not taking it for any increase in testosterone, just to relax my muscles and relieve my arthritis symptoms. I find it especially helpful because the Lansoprazole (Prevacid) that I must take twice daily interferes with the absorption of magnesium, apparently leaving me with a magnesium deficiency.

What type arthritis do you have. If your daughter has it also it could be one of the rarer types.

I have a friend in the States who has arthritis in both big knuckles of his thumbs and they really hurt. Once every six months he gets a shot in those joints and they are pain free for that six months. I have no idea what the med is called.

Is there a limit on how often he can do that. I have heard of some things shot into the knee but two or three times is all you can do it.

Cant understand why there are so many sad and lonely "Thai haters" still living here. If you hate the Thais , (Ive found them to be as wonderful to you , as you are to them) why dont you just crawl back to your own country (if your allowed back in).Absolutely NO-ONE will miss you , or notice your return !If you dont "want" to go back because you failed there ,and by the sounds of it youve failed here , the only common weak link in the chain - IS YOU. Deal with it , otherwise clear off - your taking up space "wanted" by a decent human being.

sorry but I have to reply to this post...

NJ, what are you talking about? who said anything about hating thais?

what you say in your post is complete nonsense, please think before you post!

OP, hope you find what you are looking for wai2.gif

• Like 1

"Green" Hello, In reply - maybe i worded it too strongly and /or badly - my bad.I was refering to people who think ALL Thais are out to rip them off. There are many scams by different races of people in different countries , and it saddens me to think some people have no trust in their life. Dont assume you will always be overcharged. Have a little faith/hope/trust. It pays back most of the time. Sorry if my rant upset anyone. NJ

• Like 1

Never been overcharged at a pharmacy in Thailand. Often they have price tags on them. To get local brands just ask for the Thai brand - most pharmacists speak pretty good English, they have to. I am constantly surprised how cheap drugs are here OTC - compare that to prescription charges back home! Also things like headache pills (paracetamol etc) can be bought by the pill or sheet of 10 rather than the box.

• Like 1

Yes, at the pharmacy I use (not in Chiang Mai) the invoice showing prices & total is printed out by the computer/cash register. Many things are read from bar codes. It's the same price whether you're Thai or farang.

"the Thais just love to over charge the farang"

Some "the farangs" just love to demonize "the Thais" in an attempt to compensate for their own inadequacies.

I hope you have a nice stay in CM and don't let the bitter old farangs poison your view of Thailand or " the Thais."

Well put, Suradit69, but the resident Thai bashers won't like it. whistling.gif

I believe "Greeen" is fighting a losing battle. If he takes his own advice and gets Thai people to buy his stuff for him, would that Thai person not overcharge him and pocket the difference ? According to him - "the Thais just love to over charge the farang"

Must be terrible not to be able to do your own shopping, like being a three year old.

• Like 1

My wife and I both use Naproxen, lots of it, for years. It is available here at almost any pharmacy. However, it's not cheap. Naproxen is the same as ALEVE. We get it from the states as we stock up when we visit or friends come to visit us. Look up Naproxen Sodium at the Walmart website. You can buy a 200 or 220 count (possibly 300 count) for around $12-$14. The brand name ALEVE cost a bit more, but exactly the same ingredients.

I buy Naproxen 500mg tablets in CM, I dont haggle about the listed price which is 50 baht for 10 tablets, 150 baht for a month supply. This is cheaper than a subsidised "age pension script" in Oz. I am happy.