Phuket vs. Pattaya

grumpyoldman

I'm sorry but Pattaya is a shit hole and surely the armpit of Thailand. The beaches are rubbish, not much in the way of natural scenery to admire and the place is full of sex crazed mongers and pick pocketing katoeys. I am partial to the beer bars but one has to have some serious deviant personality traits to holiday here. And why on earth would people bring their families here? Words fail me.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm losing the will to live, do you think in the UK, people are saying is it Blackpool or Southend, what difference does it make, it's like wine, white or red, who gives a sh*t, your drinking it with root veg and a dead animal, but if i had to say, oh it's so difficult, um pattaya, no wait Phuket, but i like red wine!!!!, so which is the white wine and have the veg been cooked perfect to complement the exquisite protein, OK i've made my mind up "RED WINE"

If Pattaya and Phuket are like red wine and white wine - why is the bottle of wine in Pattaya 800 baht and the same bottle of wine in Phuket 1500 baht? smile.pngsmile.png

i give up, why?????

i'm losing the will to live, do you think in the UK, people are saying is it Blackpool or Southend, what difference does it make, it's like wine, white or red, who gives a sh*t, your drinking it with root veg and a dead animal, but if i had to say, oh it's so difficult, um pattaya, no wait Phuket, but i like red wine!!!!, so which is the white wine and have the veg been cooked perfect to complement the exquisite protein, OK i've made my mind up "RED WINE"

If Pattaya and Phuket are like red wine and white wine - why is the bottle of wine in Pattaya 800 baht and the same bottle of wine in Phuket 1500 baht? smile.pngsmile.png

i give up, why?????

Most likely, the prices are higher, for everything, due to higher rents here.

They try to cash in on the Phuket "brand" that was built up in the 80's and 90's, but in reality, are probably outpricing Phuket, and therefore, devaluing Phuket as a "brand" as it gains a reputation for having higher prices for less facilities and/or service. Eg. transport. They really do think tourists will just keep coming here and paying the higher prices.

Sure, the tourists are still coming here, but they are Russian, Chinese, Indian and Arab package holiday makers who do not spend.

Also, the Thai business model kicks in, so, "profits go down, put price up." So, that 1500 baht bottle of wine increases to 1800 baht, turning even more away, whilst it still remains 800 baht in Pattaya, for example.

Their excuse for the higher prices are "Phuket wants to attract highend tourisst." In my opinion, that's quite difficult when you do not offer the equivilent highend infastructure and services to justify the higher prices, and in some cases, Phuket offers a lesser standard of product, at a higher cost.

Edited by NamKangMan

If Pattaya and Phuket are like red wine and white wine - why is the bottle of wine in Pattaya 800 baht and the same bottle of wine in Phuket 1500 baht? smile.png:)

i give up, why?????

They try to cash in on the Phuket "brand" that was built up in the 80's and 90's, but in reality, are probably outpricing Phuket, and therefore, devaluing Phuket as a "brand" as it gains a reputation for having higher prices for less facilities and/or service. Eg. transport. They really do think tourists will just keep coming here and paying the higher prices.

Sure, the tourists are still coming here, but they are Russian, Chinese, Indian and Arab package holiday makers who do not spend.

Also, the Thai business model kicks in, so, "profits go down, put price up." So, that 1500 baht bottle of wine increases to 1800 baht, turning even more away, whilst it still remains 800 baht in Pattaya, for example.

Their excuse for the higher prices are "Phuket wants to attract highend tourisst." In my opinion, that's quite difficult when you do not offer the equivilent highend infastructure and services to justify the higher prices, and in some cases, Phuket offers a lesser standard of product, at a higher cost.

And all that based on the nonsense claim that the same bottle of wine costs 800 Baht in Pattaya and 1500 Baht in Phuket.

i give up, why?????

And all that based on the nonsense claim that the same bottle of wine costs 800 Baht in Pattaya and 1500 Baht in Phuket.

"Nonsense claim." smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Not just myself, but many others have stated Pattaya is cheaper than Phuket, and for some things, considerably cheaper. The figures of 800 baht and 1500 baht for wine were used to ilustrate a point.

When were you last in Pattaya????

Edited by NamKangMan

i very seriously considered moving to pattaya before i came here. we spent a lot of time there, looking at land, houses and areas. it has obvious practical benefits over phuket, 1 hour to bkk, cheap for almost everything compared to phuket, but i just could not make my self like the place. to me is just seems dirty, ugly, dry and dull, and i'm not just talking about walking street, we looked all the way down past satahip.

each to there own but i'd rather pay 50% more and live in phuket

"each to there own but i'd rather pay 50% more and live in phuket" - fair call steve, but surely there is a point where you would feel you no longer are getting value for money for the quality of lifestyle on Phuket.

i live pretty cheap here anyhow, we own the house so no rent, we buy food at the market and I mostly eat fish which is probably the same or cheaper than pataya anyhow, and a lot fresher and doesn't have that PTT oily sheen. electric and internet are probably about the same price here and the beer bars i go in have 50 baht happy hour beer which is enough for me

Edited by stevehaigh
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but Pattaya is a shit hole and surely the armpit of Thailand. The beaches are rubbish, not much in the way of natural scenery to admire and the place is full of sex crazed mongers and pick pocketing katoeys. I am partial to the beer bars but one has to have some serious deviant personality traits to holiday here. And why on earth would people bring their families here? Words fail me.

My son was born in Pattaya like thousands other kids, excellent hospitals in Pattaya, Chonburi, and Bangkok and we got the Navy hospital in Sattahip that is rumored to be good and cheap.

In my Moo Baan (village) we have over 20 thai/expats families with kids, the kids can play safely in the small sois, very nice and peacefully, people are friendly and says hallo to each other.

About 10-12 private schools to choose from, from the very expensive Regent international school to more affordable ones.

Sure the beaches are not so nice as Phuket's are, I don't lay on the beach anyway so I don't really care but we got one nice beach South of Pattaya that belong to the Navy.

Pattaya are so much more than walking street and hookers.

Calling Pattaya a shithole is not very nice and very misleading, I like it here as a family man, you can make/live your life here as you want and I don't miss Phuket despite living there for 3 years.

Unless you have stayed long time both places and looked beyond the tourist places you can't really comment what the best, Phuket or Pattaya, they both got theirs pros and cons.

• Like 2

Having spent time in both locations, I prefer Pattaya. There are just too many negative thing about Phuket that outweigh the positives. Having said that, these days I would not consider living in either place.

Pattaya is a Thai city ( with a bunch of Farangs living there and Walking street for the tourist)

Patong is a tourist center

Phuket is a resort island

but will take Kamala beach over Pattaya any day of the week.

Just taking the motorcyle north to the airport along the beach ( wiht a stop at layan beach) is beautiful and nowhere in pattaya is close .

Prices; Phuket for a tourist is more but living here its not that much more and the same selection u get in Pattaya and bangkok

Edited by phuketrichard

I have friends who come to Phuket until about 5-6 years ago once or twice a year and 3-5 weeks each time. They have the last years been heading to Pattaya. They are well off so I don't think the difference in prices keep them from Phuket, but the reason for the move they said is that people generally are friendlier and its easier to get around. I personally have spent only 36 hours in Pattaya and when that was interesting its way to crowded everywhere there for my liking. Unfortunately it seems Phuket are rushing in the same direction.

I have read the complete thread and no one has mentioned golf. I have friends that went to Pattaya every year, because they said there were 16 golf courses within 45 minutes of Pattaya and they were reasonably priced.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I love Pattaya. But ask yourself this. would you feel comfortable taking your parents there?

Do you mean Pattaya or just walking street? There actually is more to Pattaya than just walking street. if that worries you, would you prefer to take your parents to Bangla road instead?

I love Pattaya. But ask yourself this. would you feel comfortable taking your parents there?

6 years ago I took my Mum there prior to taking her up country to the village. She loved it and would love to revisit Pattaya but she is a little frail now at 92!!

I had similar experience with my mother while visiting Bangla road chaos in the night. She was absolutely fascinated what was happening there.

Then again, she used to teach mental health nurses, so I guess trip to Bangla felt like an field trip :)

Do you mean Pattaya or just walking street? There actually is more to Pattaya than just walking street. if that worries you, would you prefer to take your parents to Bangla road instead?

I mean Pattaya. What are you going to do? Take mom and pop to the grotty beach. Eat some crap from the street stalls. Explain to them why 70 year old men are walking around with 25 year old, women (or ladyboys) take a quick trip over to Jomtiem by baht bus to look at the poofs jogging along the beach. Maybe the crocodile farm in the afternoon. Then check out the short time scene in soi 6 and have a few sang som sets, then off to airport bar for the soapy lesbian show with a few Chang beers. Then off to insomnia for a bit of a 6am finish?

Dont get me wrong I love Pattaya but I think most mature couples would find it a bit much. Especially elderly women. Maybe pop might like it ;)

I mean Pattaya. What are you going to do? Take mom and pop to the grotty beach. Eat some crap from the street stalls. Explain to them why 70 year old men are walking around with 25 year old, women (or ladyboys) take a quick trip over to Jomtiem by baht bus to look at the poofs jogging along the beach. Maybe the crocodile farm in the afternoon. Then check out the short time scene in soi 6 and have a few sang som sets, then off to airport bar for the soapy lesbian show with a few Chang beers. Then off to insomnia for a bit of a 6am finish?

Dont get me wrong I love Pattaya but I think most mature couples would find it a bit much. Especially elderly women. Maybe pop might like it ;)

Seems like you have worked out the travel itinerary already Posted Image

• Like 2

Dont get me wrong I love Pattaya but I think most mature couples would find it a bit much. Especially elderly women. Maybe pop might like it wink.png

Did you ever go to Bang Saray..?? Did you ever go to Khao Yai? How many wineries did you visit??

My Mother , then aged 85yrs old. loved the bars with the bands on soi 2/3 ( no longer there of course). She loved watching the sexual activities going on around us...She said it was the first todger she had seen since my Dad died.....although it wasn't as big as his according to her..

Why oh Why do people think that people (especially women) have no past when they get frail and wrinkly......

Dont get me wrong I love Pattaya but I think most mature couples would find it a bit much. Especially elderly women. Maybe pop might like it wink.png

Seems like you have worked out the travel itinerary already whistling.gif

giggle.gif

Did you ever go to Bang Saray..?? Did you ever go to Khao Yai? How many wineries did you visit??

My Mother , then aged 85yrs old. loved the bars with the bands on soi 2/3 ( no longer there of course). She loved watching the sexual activities going on around us...She said it was the first todger she had seen since my Dad died.....although it wasn't as big as his according to her..

Why oh Why do people think that people (especially women) have no past when they get frail and wrinkly......

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thats awesome mate. Never heard it called that before and good for your Mums ! Where does that term come from?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Todger is a Dorset expression for willy......Thanks for asking..

Glad I missed the view, I'm more of a bearded clam type of guy, although the beards have been out of fashion for awhile. 

One of the advantages of Phuket is there is more jungle in abundance than badgers. Maybe Phuket ladies of the night are a bit more behind the times. I quite prefer jungle

• 2 months later...

Bye bye all of you who take Pattaya over Phuket. You surely won't be missed. Yes Pattaya is so much better, everything is better in Pattaya. Bai, bai, bai!!!! We who live in Phuket are so hard done by, poor us, go, go, go!!!!! And please never set foot on this island again!

Bye bye all of you who take Pattaya over Phuket. You surely won't be missed. Yes Pattaya is so much better, everything is better in Pattaya. Bai, bai, bai!!!! We who live in Phuket are so hard done by, poor us, go, go, go!!!!! And please never set foot on this island again!

How long have you been living here?

For me personally, i would never ever live in ''Pattaya''.. been once, for a day, and that was enough.. could go on and on..

we are all different and expect and want different things, but its definetly not for me..

Phuket is more my style, especially where i live and the places i frequent, nice restaurants,nice venues, etc etc..

Like i said, we are all different, and Phuket is more my style..